Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2015/2016 team without Portis

Started by Thepigdoctor, April 14, 2015, 02:05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thepigdoctor

Let's keep the declaration thread for the congrats, and post all thoughts regarding future separately.

My thoughts for next season and the loss of Portis. Obviously the loss hurts, but I don't think it completely removed us from NCAAT potential. If Qualls returns, that is a huge chunk of scoring that we won't have to replace as well.

I'll be curious to see if the offense becomes more fluid next year, as more players are given the opportunity to step up, without the pressure to constantly force the ball through Portis. We saw it down the stretch where teams made an extra effort to stop Portis and we continued to force the action through him, causing the offense to stall.

I'm not trying to minimize his loss, but this is a great opportunity for the team as a whole to step up offensively, and not feel pressured through one player.

I'm just slightly less concerned about losing Madden and all the frustratingly terrific things he did to make our offense go. It's putting too much imaginary pressure from the fan standpoint to expect Whitt to come in as a freshman and immediately replace all the things a two year starting senior did for the offense.

Defensively, while Portis came on late as a shot blocker, I believe we will be stronger without him. That was the one area I really felt like he could have improved with one more year to make himself a lottery/top 10 pick.

Two scholarships open now, if Frazier gets his ACT grade needed, I see him committing and having the potential to get early playing time. It'll be interesting to see who else we go after down the stretch, I'd expect both scholarships to go to forwards/centers, especially with the guard heavy recruiting we are doing in 2016.

jry04

He is a great loss, but we can still be a single digit seed next March. If Qualls returns, and Whitt is as good our better than we expect, and others develop than we will still be a good team. We may be more guard oriented, but we can still be good. If Michael Washington and Delvon Johnson can develop into solid big men, why can't Moses or Thompson? I think we are a 6 or 7 seed with Qualls, with 21-23 wins, but a middle of the pack NIT team without Qualls.

Jamie Jones

After the 1992-93 run, we lost 25 points a game in Hawkins and Sheppard. Williamson had only played in 18 games and started 7. And while he averaged 15 points per game, he wasn't on the floor for the other 13 games at all. The main pick-up was Al Dillard. He gave us a 3 point threat to rival Scottie Thurman, and that was off the bench, where he shot 75 of 183. The real difference was on defense. The forced tempo of the game led to 113 more free throw attempts. (the opponents shot 122 more free throws than us in 1992-93 while only shooting 17 more in 1993-94) Beck increased his steals total from 44 to 68. While McDaniel went from 45 to 53, Stewart went from 20 to 34, and Williamson increased from 7 to an astonishing 39!

This style of basketball is predicated on defense forcing tempo, turnovers, and fatiguing the opposition. While Portis has been a great member of the Hogs family and will be loved forever, he was sometimes a liability on the defensive end. Had he came back for another season, I think his numbers would have increased like those of his mentor. I wish him nothing but the best. And I'm hoping that Whitt has a similar impact as Dillard had. 
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on April 14, 2015, 02:30:07 pm
He is a great loss, but we can still be a single digit seed next March. If Qualls returns, and Whitt is as good our better than we expect, and others develop than we will still be a good team. We may be more guard oriented, but we can still be good. If Michael Washington and Delvon Johnson can develop into solid big men, why can't Moses or Thompson? I think we are a 6 or 7 seed with Qualls, with 21-23 wins, but a middle of the pack NIT team without Qualls.

Yea, just really depends on how are guys progress.  If Qualls returns I really like our chances to be a tournament team.  Although we lose 3 important guys, we still return a lot of experience.  I expect Kingsley to have a huge year, I expect Williams to be better as well.  And people forget about Kapita, because we didn't hear much because he was out this year, but he is a consensus top 40 player, you don't get that ranking for nothing. 

Plus, guys also forget we still got 2 scholarships to fill.  It's possible we could bring in a top JUCO or maybe get one of these grad transfers.  As I said in another thread, should be a very interesting off-season.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=591697.0

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=591682.0

Ball movement could improve at times over this past season.  Harris could be a ball stopper.  Madden's assist totals could be misleading. 

Beard, Durham and Whitt's impacts will go a long way to how good the team will be whether Qualls returns or not. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: -Blu on April 14, 2015, 03:52:50 pm
Yea, just really depends on how are guys progress.  If Qualls returns I really like our chances to be a tournament team.  Although we lose 3 important guys, we still return a lot of experience.  I expect Kingsley to have a huge year, I expect Williams to be better as well.  And people forget about Kapita, because we didn't hear much because he was out this year, but he is a consensus top 40 player, you don't get that ranking for nothing. 

Plus, guys also forget we still got 2 scholarships to fill.  It's possible we could bring in a top JUCO or maybe get one of these grad transfers.  As I said in another thread, should be a very interesting off-season.

Olu Famitimi was a McAA 5 star and he didn't  turn into a top 40 player. Recruiting is not an exact science in any sport

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2015, 03:54:42 pm
Olu Famitimi was a McAA 5 star and he didn't  turn into a top 40 player. Recruiting is not an exact science in amy sport

He never got over the injury especially mentally.  Hope Kapita recovers quickly and well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HF#1

Quote from: -Blu on April 14, 2015, 03:52:50 pm

Williams has a low ceiling and is probably pretty close to hitting it.  My opinion, of course. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogimus Prime

Probable starters to start season.
G-Beard
G-Bell
G-Qualls
F-Williams
C-Kingsley

Bench: Guards-Durham, Watkins, Hannahs, Whitt. Forwards- Miles, Thompson, Kapita.

Looks like another big and a perimeter player in the 6'6" range.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2015, 04:47:47 pm
Probable starters to start season.
G-Beard
G-Bell
G-Qualls
F-Williams
C-Kingsley

Bench: Guards-Durham, Watkins, Hannahs, Whitt. Forwards- Miles, Thompson, Kapita.

Looks like another big and a perimeter player in the 6'6" range.

I would wait to see what happens with Qualls. Some NBA coach may love his athleticism and think he could coach him up. Always drama in Hogland.

NLRHog92

Qualls will have to return and prove to be the man. Beard will have to improve his game as a PG, and will have to have Whitt be a phenomenal freshman for them to be a solid 1-2 punch at guard and allow us to score down low at all, because we don't have much there now. Kingsley hasn't developed as much as hoped, has little offensive game. Kapita hasn't hardly played all year and could linger from hip injury. Miles and Durham will both be Seniors, but don't seem like leaders and don't produce much. And while improved, Williams is spastic and not consistent. Will be an uphill battle, but I think we have the right coach and will have to hope for a lot of development to make the tourney. Go Hogs :razorback:

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 14, 2015, 04:58:27 pm
I would wait to see what happens with Qualls. Some NBA coach may love his athleticism and think he could coach him up. Always drama in Hogland.

True. Just going of what I know so far.

rude1

This is college basketball players move on it is inevitable, you bring in new faces and you move on. I mean after all when we lose BJ Young and Powell we will be doomed because Bobby Portis is over rated and no way can we survive after losing our best two players.....................

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on April 14, 2015, 06:41:01 pm
This is college basketball players move on it is inevitable, you bring in new faces and you move on. I mean after all when we lose BJ Young and Powell we will be doomed because Bobby Portis is over rated and no way can we survive after losing our best two players.....................

Said a few people, about Bobby. More than a few could see that we'd succeed without B.J. and Powell for a few reasons. But neither of those things were the consensus.

rzrbackramsfan

We know Kingsley is going to play a lot better with more playing time.  He will probably focus more on just his inside game though which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe, just maybe, Kingsley can get more rebounds than Portis.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 14, 2015, 07:50:15 pm
We know Kingsley is going to play a lot better with more playing time.  He will probably focus more on just his inside game though which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Maybe, just maybe, Kingsley can get more rebounds than Portis.

When you've got a player like Kingsley, who we all knew was a raw talent coming in, it really just takes that one offseason for things to click, and look out. He'll likely never be half of what Portis was beyond 15 feet, but Kingsley 15 footer is far from atrocious. This offseason will be huge for him. If the light comes on, he could explode next season. On the other hand, he could remain a four year project, but I believe with his athleticism and potential, he'll also get a look in the league.

Don't sleep on Durham either. JUCO's often look lost in year one, I expect he and Kingsley to be neck and neck next season for most improved.

While Portis had a great motor and athleticism for his size, he truly wasn't a great fit for this style. For all the great things he did, his defense in this system was a huge liability. To the same point, Madden was as well, I can't begin to count the times his man was wide open for an easy three. I am not in the crowd that thinks Thompson will ever be a major contributor, but I'd love to be around.

I think our full court defense and pace takes two steps forward next season (if Qualls returns) and especially if we land Frazier.

I love Portis and he was a favorite of mine, but true fit for this style he was not. We are not dead in the water without Portis, in fact, as great as he was, with a switch to a team basketball mentality vs trying to run everything through one player, I truly believe we can have a season just shy of what we did this year and if everyone gels, we could be even more dangerous come tourney time.

I'm excited to see who our next two signings are and if Qualls stays. we may struggle early, but I can see things really clicking come late Jan/Feb and this team becoming a force.

Big Nasty 34

Team defense has to be a lot better, period. Mike is going to have to do a really good job coaching for us not to take too much of a step back.

WarPig88

Quote from: rude1 on April 14, 2015, 06:41:01 pm

There are very few programs capable of reloading quickly. Heck even Kentucky missed the tournament only 2 years ago.

Look at how mediocre Kansas was this season.

To say you just move on is almost hyperbole. Look at Indiana and how they have struggled even while recruiting well by the early defections they have had.

Maintaining in college basketball is much harder than it used to be.

rude1

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 09:56:18 pm
There are very few programs capable of reloading quickly. Heck even Kentucky missed the tournament only 2 years ago.

Look at how mediocre Kansas was this season.

To say you just move on is almost hyperbole. Look at Indiana and how they have struggled even while recruiting well by the early defections they have had.

Maintaining in college basketball is much harder than it used to be.
The point is, players move on from everyone not just here. You have no choice but to change the names on the jerseys and move on. Now days if they are very talented they move on sooner rather than later.

I remember the gloom n doom forecast when Young and Powell were leaving, but guys improved, freshman contributed and we ended up having a better season than the year with them. In other words, it's wayyyyyyy to early to panic when you have no idea what the team is going to look like next year.

HognitiveDissonance

You're better off 95% of the time when guys that could return choose to come back. Ark would have been a better team that season if Young and Powell had returned. They were SEC talents. Portis is a level above them, so he obviously will be sorely missed.

I always hate to see guys leave, it nearly always will be better for the program but also better for them too in the long haul.

I do not fault the logic of taking first round money, though. Portis could have benefitted by another year, no doubt, but you can't say he made a foolish decision at all.

WarPig88

Quote from: rude1 on April 14, 2015, 11:06:36 pm
The point is, players move on from everyone not just here. You have no choice but to change the names on the jerseys and move on. Now days if they are very talented they move on sooner rather than later.

I remember the gloom n doom forecast when Young and Powell were leaving, but guys improved, freshman contributed and we ended up having a better season than the year with them. In other words, it's wayyyyyyy to early to panic when you have no idea what the team is going to look like next year.

That's a very reasonable take. Good post.