Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Day for the program

Started by mbgrulz, April 14, 2015, 01:30:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mbgrulz

This will undoubtedly hurt W's and L's next season, but it will be great for recruiting (provided BP really does go high in the draft). 

Izzo was on Cowherd during the tourney talking about how getting a player drafted in the lottery was even better than a final 4 in terms of recruiting.

In the big picture, this is a good day for the program.

Pignominious

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 14, 2015, 01:30:45 pm
This will undoubtedly hurt W's and L's next season, but it will be great for recruiting (provided BP really does go high in the draft). 

Izzo was on Cowherd during the tourney talking about how getting a player drafted in the lottery was even better than a final 4 in terms of recruiting.

Great point. I would have loved to see us keep Babb, however. Not terribly pleased with how his development was handled.

I wonder what Qualls will do? I thought when the season ended that Qualls would come back and BP would go. Still in play.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

Hawg Red

Maybe this will raise our visibility with graduate transfer bigs.

Hawg4life33

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2015, 01:56:46 pm
Maybe this will raise our visibility with graduate transfer bigs.

I think that is the route to go. Best case scenario we go that way as a one year bridge to the monster 2016 class and development of Kapita/Kingsley.

Adam Stokes

Qualls could now easily average 20+ ppg if he comes back.  I truly believe his stock would jump if he continues to create and take more shots.

Marshfieldhog

Color me not excited, maybe it does help long term. However, winning is the biggest thing to get you on the radar. If we don't make the tourney next year...going 1/5 years isn't too impressive.

Atlhogfan1

It adds to the positives to sell: rebuild isn't finished but the painful part should be over, NCAAT trip and win, practice facility and now a first round pick in June. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 14, 2015, 02:05:52 pm
It adds to the positives to sell: rebuild isn't finished but the painful part should be over, NCAAT trip and win, practice facility and now a first round pick in June.
I hear you but I am skeptical, a sub par season going into one of the most important recruiting years in the last few has me feeling jittery. I think part of our long stint in the doldrums is from the Beverly, Young, Powell, fortson, and so on early defections without being able to establish a solid footing.

40MINSOFHELL

Except we're not Michigan State.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 14, 2015, 02:13:52 pm
I hear you but I am skeptical, a sub par season going into one of the most important recruiting years in the last few has me feeling jittery. I think part of our long stint in the doldrums is from the Beverly, Young, Powell, fortson, and so on early defections without being able to establish a solid footing.

Much of the 2016 recruiting work should be done by the start of the season for the higher rated talent.  Early signing period is Nov 11-18th this year.  We may not sign many then but the relationships will have been built.  We also have a high number of seniors next season which opens up opportunities.  Recruits like knowing they can have immediate impacts. 

A couple of those players you listed "had" to go. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sharky

Agree. We seem to forgotten that plays almost ALWAYS go to the NBA, and that recruits are looking for programs that get them to the next level, where they get paid to ball.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 14, 2015, 02:04:13 pm
Color me not excited, maybe it does help long term. However, winning is the biggest thing to get you on the radar. If we don't make the tourney next year...going 1/5 years isn't too impressive.
Blaming this staff for not making the tourney those first 2 years is ridiculous.

HF#1

Our luck, Bobby will drop to the 2nd round
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Rocky Mountain Living

He was a great ambassador for the program.  AND will be a great ambassador for Arkansas in the NBA.

Bobby has a 3.2 GPA and is finishing this semester out.

Bobby has amazing Character and a great Work Ethic.

Bobby will be a lottery pick....just like he said in his presser today.  (citing upcoming team workouts and interviews)

Indeed, it is a Great Day for Arkansas.  WPS  :razorback:

King

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on April 14, 2015, 02:14:36 pm
Except we're not Michigan State.

We were better than Michigan State before its recent run of success.

Before Mateen Cleaves, Michigan was way better than State other than the Magic Johnson years.

TrueBlue

Quote from: King on April 14, 2015, 09:23:06 pm
We were better than Michigan State before its recent run of success.

Before Mateen Cleaves, Michigan was way better than State other than the Magic Johnson years.

Wut?? What is recent? Last 16 years?

Since 1999 Michigan State has been to seven Final Fours. Seven! That's almost half. AND they have made twelve Sweet Sixteens. I wished we could have made 12 Sweet Sixteens in the last 16 years...

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on April 14, 2015, 02:52:18 pm
Blaming this staff for not making the tourney those first 2 years is ridiculous.

Not even the NIT? We shouldn't have had to wait until year 4 for a 2 game run, then have to reload in year 5. That isn't recruiting well.

WarPig88

Quote from: TrueBlue on April 14, 2015, 09:37:38 pm
Wut?? What is recent? Last 16 years?

Since 1999 Michigan State has been to seven Final Fours. Seven! That's almost half. AND they have made twelve Sweet Sixteens. I wished we could have made 12 Sweet Sixteens in the last 16 years...

Youngster, Michigan state was mediocre prior to Michigan getting buried by the NCAA. That was the point.

Until Michigan got buried, people would have laughed you out of the building for saying that State could become a dominant program.

WPS501

What relevance does Michigan States' program 20 years ago have to a recruit today?  So many people on this website living in the past...

WarPig88

Quote from: WPS501 on April 14, 2015, 10:05:57 pm
What relevance does Michigan States' program 20 years ago have to a recruit today?  So many people on this website living in the past...

The past is how you learn if you are wise.

Michigan State was so/so and yet turned into a power with less tradition than we had. It isn't out of the possibility for Arkansas to begin a renaissance of the program at all.

Heck, Duke was not a great program prior to Coach K either.

Let's give it some time to see what happens. Coach A has done a great job of laying a solid foundation for the future of the program some say. Losing BP will put this assertion to the test here.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 15, 2015, 01:50:47 am
The past is how you learn if you are wise.

Michigan State was so/so and yet turned into a power with less tradition than we had. It isn't out of the possibility for Arkansas to begin a renaissance of the program at all.

Heck, Duke was not a great program prior to Coach K either.

Let's give it some time to see what happens. Coach A has done a great job of laying a solid foundation for the future of the program some say. Losing BP will put this assertion to the test here.

Amen.

Knowing what we were in the past, AND knowing that Mike has brought as close to that glorious era as we have been since that era is why some of us have hope.    We know the groundwork has been laid, and the drop off will not leave the program irrelevant. Arkansas hasn't had a first round draft pick since Brewer Jr. in 2006!!! The players that were blurted out earlier were D-League at best (exception of Beverly, of course), and losing them killed the team.  We were a joke before Coach Anderson arrived. We are a rising program now. It is pivotal that we keep afloat this upcoming season, and hit a few homeruns in the next recruiting class. Do that, and we are back to being a perennial power.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

fineswine

Quote from: Pignominious on April 14, 2015, 01:41:53 pm
Great point. I would have loved to see us keep Babb, however. Not terribly pleased with how his development was handled.

I wonder what Qualls will do? I thought when the season ended that Qualls would come back and BP would go. Still in play.
There's the rub.  Fine, we had an elite player that was going to become a professional player regardless of where he went to school.  He chose to stay home and play.  The problem is with the rest of the high school kids from other states looking at the way Babb was handled.  He left home and chose Arkansas over other offers, and never saw meaningful minutes despite being a talented kid.  He left and it's a message to others that Arkansas might not be the place to go to play right away.

hawgdavis

Didn't M state win one with Magic Johnson and get to a couple of final 4s after. I agree they were not a power but they had a history of being pretty good. When Izzo got there he turned them into what they have become and would have no matter what Michigan was doing.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: fineswine on April 15, 2015, 03:36:38 am
There's the rub.  Fine, we had an elite player that was going to become a professional player regardless of where he went to school.  He chose to stay home and play.  The problem is with the rest of the high school kids from other states looking at the way Babb was handled.  He left home and chose Arkansas over other offers, and never saw meaningful minutes despite being a talented kid.  He left and it's a message to others that Arkansas might not be the place to go to play right away.

Almost every team goes through people transferring all the time.  It's all about playing time.  We have two on our roster right now, Hannahs and Miles and one just graduated (Harris).  It is not a reflection on the team they are leaving, it is their desire to try and get more playing time.  Of course, there are exceptions, some realize they just don't fit the style of play or disagreements with coaches and players. My biggest gripe is how the NCAA allows some transfers to play immediately and some have to wait a year. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

mbgrulz

TrueBlue

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 09:59:23 pm
Youngster, Michigan state was mediocre prior to Michigan getting buried by the NCAA. That was the point.

Until Michigan got buried, people would have laughed you out of the building for saying that State could become a dominant program.

#1HeadHog

i dont know about ya'll but i havent really give a flip about the nba in many years because there was no arkansas player to get drafted and play right away. joe johnson to the celtics in the early 2000s i remember i would watch every game i could to see him play and also followed him at phoneix and atlanta. now after all those years we will finally have someone in bobby portis to follow in the nba. WPS
"Always root for the winner. That way you won't be disappointed."

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS

MountieDawg

Quote from: #1HeadHog on April 15, 2015, 10:48:50 am
i dont know about ya'll but i havent really give a flip about the nba in many years because there was no arkansas player to get drafted and play right away. joe johnson to the celtics in the early 2000s i remember i would watch every game i could to see him play and also followed him at phoneix and atlanta. now after all those years we will finally have someone in bobby portis to follow in the nba. WPS

Have you ever heard of Ronnie Brewer?
SEC!

#1HeadHog

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 15, 2015, 10:54:16 am
Have you ever heard of Ronnie Brewer?
\

yes, ronnie was great player for us but never really got it going in the nba and got bounced around alot. Also, see where i said "I" havent gave a flip talking about me but i will keep up with portis. Also, pat beverly is doing good now but went a different path to get to the nba.
"Always root for the winner. That way you won't be disappointed."

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS

latrops

I disagree.  Certainly, sending players to the NBA is something that can be used as a compelling pitch to recruits.  But one player going somewhere in the middle of the first rd isn't going to mean much in itself.  Hopefully Qualls comes back and elevates his game to the point that he is able to be drafted in the first rd, then Monk, Whitt, etc. continue the trend of Hogs being drafted.  When you have multiple NBA picks to reference it is a more compelling point than when you are only talking about one guy that kids that don't follow the program may not have even heard of.

mbgrulz

Quote from: latrops on April 15, 2015, 12:16:51 pm
I disagree.  Certainly, sending players to the NBA is something that can be used as a compelling pitch to recruits.  But one player going somewhere in the middle of the first rd isn't going to mean much in itself.  Hopefully Qualls comes back and elevates his game to the point that he is able to be drafted in the first rd, then Monk, Whitt, etc. continue the trend of Hogs being drafted.  When you have multiple NBA picks to reference it is a more compelling point than when you are only talking about one guy that kids that don't follow the program may not have even heard of.
So Portis getting drafted won't help, but it will help when we start a trend of players getting drafted? Doesn't the trend have to start with 1 guy?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 15, 2015, 12:22:37 pm
So Portis getting drafted won't help, but it will help when we start a trend of players getting drafted? Doesn't the trend have to start with 1 guy?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Lao-Tzu
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

latrops

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 15, 2015, 12:22:37 pm

I didn't say that it wouldn't help.  I disagree that it is a "great day for the program" on the premise that Portis being drafted alone elevates our recruiting in some significant way.  You are assuming a certain specific desired result which is quite a stretch on the basis of one player being drafted.  The trend must be established first.  Portis may or may not be the start of the trend.  I certainly hope he is.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Whether it helps or not it does speak to the quality of the program and what they achieved this year.  One thing I won't do if program takes a step back next year is blame Anderson.  With the scholarship limitations it's hard to plan for every possible guy leaving especially two guys of this caliber.  It would have been one thing if it had been known in November, but who knew? 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogarusa

I dont know if its a great day for the program.  Certainly a great day for Portis and Qualls.

Its nice to have a player declare for the NBA but the top dogs in the country do this with multiple players every season after deep runs in the NCAA tourney and replace with multiple players who end up doing the same as before.  Wash. rinse. Repeat.  Hogs got to the round of 32. 

Is this the same line of thinking as the bump in recruiting the Hogs were expects to have after the Sugar Bowl trip?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me