Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Losing Portis leaves Coach Anderson with big work ahead

Started by Mr. Porkleone, April 14, 2015, 12:38:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

intelligence

Assuming we add two more pieces(do we even have room? i count 12 guys) we should be very good next season. increased depth. less weaknesses, more shooters.(whitt + hannahs). we may have less of an inside presence but we have some outside presence to compensate. thoughts?
Quote from: intelligence on April 14, 2015, 05:27:17 pm
This is who we have for next season as of this moment:

Anton Beard   G   6-0   195
Jabril Durham   G   6-1   185
Dusty Hannahs   G   6-2   203
Jimmy Whitt   G   6-3   175
Anthlon Bell   G   6-3   185
Manny Watkins   G   6-3   208
Michael Qualls   G   6-6   210
Keaton Miles   F   6-7   212
Ja. Williams   F   6-8   218
Ted Kapita    F   6-9   240
Trey Thompson   F   6-9   260
Moses Kingsley   F   6-10   230

Looks like we have 12 players atm? Does this mean we have no scholarships available? I thought we would have two free since Babb and Portis are departing

Danny J

Quote from: intelligence on April 14, 2015, 05:41:09 pm
Assuming we add two more pieces(do we even have room? i count 12 guys) we should be very good next season. increased depth. less weaknesses, more shooters.(whitt + hannahs). we may have less of an inside presence but we have some outside presence to compensate. thoughts?
Yes.....we currently have room for 2 more guys and if Qualls leaves that means 3. Think of it this way...we were full last year. Hannahs, while redshirting, was already on scholarship. We replace Madden and Harris with Whitt and Kapita. We lost Babb to transfer so that is one spot and with Portis declaring that is another. So currently we have two open spots. If Qualls leaves then that is three.

3kgthog

You don't remain an NCAAT team or likely even a bubble team when you lose a guy that could have a bad game and still get 10 pts and 8 rebs. The bad games of those on the current roster usually equal more fouls than points or rebounds.

Kapita, Kingsley, Williams, and Thompson might not even be able to match Bobby's production COMBINED. At least not based on what we've seen from them so far. Kapita is obviously an unknown, especially with his injury.

I'm hoping Whitt can be our Pat Beverley and take a bit of the sting away, but we've lost a big, big piece in BP.

intelligence

Quote from: tncbg on April 14, 2015, 07:32:45 pm
This was Thompson's "project" year. If he can't contribute significantly next year it's time for him to go. Kingsley needs to live in the gym and hit every big man camp possible this summer.

He won the performance award(strength & conditioning) at the banquet last night. dropped 40 lbs since he got here.

Hawg Red

This was Thompson's "project" year. If he can't contribute significantly next year it's time for him to go.

Bit harsh, IMO. And I've been as big of a detractor as there is when it comes to Thompson. He provided absolutely nothing this year in the way of production. But we really didn't need him to and, it appears, he worked very hard on re-shaping his body. That's good enough for me. Now he gets to actually get out there and play actual minutes. I'm not sure that he needs to "significantly" contribute to warrant a spot on the team. You don't typically overcome being a "project" in one year. If he can produce relative to his playing time, everyone should be happy. I'd look for something more substantial from him as a junior and senior.

latrops

Quote from: intelligence on April 14, 2015, 05:41:09 pm

Teams are allowed 13 scholarships.  Watkins is a walk on, so he doesn't count against the 13.  We have 11 scholarship players at the moment. 

latrops

This was Thompson's "project" year. If he can't contribute significantly next year it's time for him to go. Kingsley needs to live in the gym and hit every big man camp possible this summer.

Coaches that are also good human beings, like CMA, don't rescind scholarships from players that are working hard on the court and in the classroom...even if they ultimately don't contribute much.  You can be upset with CMA for giving a project like Thompson a scholarship in the first place, but he isn't likely to be going anywhere unless he is unhappy with his role and future.  CMA has 2 scholarships available....hopefully he is able to bring in players that put us in position where we don't need Thompson to get many minutes.  If he does develop into a useful contributor next season, then that is a bonus.

Hawg Red

Quote from: latrops on April 14, 2015, 08:05:20 pm
Coaches that are also good human beings, like CMA, don't rescind scholarships from players that are working hard on the court and in the classroom...even if they ultimately don't contribute much.  You can be upset with CMA for giving a project like Thompson a scholarship in the first place, but he isn't likely to be going anywhere unless he is unhappy with his role and future.  CMA has 2 scholarships available....hopefully he is able to bring in players that put us in position where we don't need Thompson to get many minutes.  If he does develop into a useful contributor next season, then that is a bonus.

Agreed. Again, I would be one that was not happy with Thompson getting an offer to begin with, but it doesn't sound like he's done anything to warrant having his scholarship pulled. It was known from the beginning that he would take time. If you're telling me the kid lost 40 lbs since he's showed up on the Hill, I'd say he's doing his part. I wasn't sure he'd have that kind of discipline, honestly. So he's impressed me already without having played a single meaningful minute.

hoglady

Quote from: Wright43 on April 14, 2015, 12:41:54 pm
We NEED Kapita to work out

No telling how he will work out.
Didn't play this year until a few weeks ago - limited minutes and nothing to write home about. Hopefully, he's fully recovered from that hip injury and will be a good player.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WarPig88

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 14, 2015, 07:26:43 pm
You don't remain an NCAAT team or likely even a bubble team when you lose a guy that could have a bad game and still get 10 pts and 8 rebs. The bad games of those on the current roster usually equal more fouls than points or rebounds.

Kapita, Kingsley, Williams, and Thompson might not even be able to match Bobby's production COMBINED. At least not based on what we've seen from them so far. Kapita is obviously an unknown, especially with his injury.

I'm hoping Whitt can be our Pat Beverley and take a bit of the sting away, but we've lost a big, big piece in BP.

This isn't true at all. It would only hold true if we were a last 4 in type team with BP and we weren't. We were a top 25 type seed so there is some margin for error without him.

To claim that we don't have a chance is way over the top. It is true you don't get better hoping for addition by subtraction of a player of BPs talents, but some of his production can and will be replaced by the guys waiting in the wings.

How much they pick up will determine the fate of the team. I mean BP was wore out down the stretch in the SEC tourney and NCAA and this team still made the finals of the SEC and advanced in the NCAA tourney with a close loss to Carolina.

It's far from being hopeless.

intelligence

Quote from: latrops on April 14, 2015, 07:48:34 pm
Teams are allowed 13 scholarships.  Watkins is a walk on, so he doesn't count against the 13.  We have 11 scholarship players at the moment.

Here's why it had me confused. Guess i learned not to skim haha

Swinesong1

Quote from: intelligence on April 15, 2015, 05:20:58 am

Here's why it had me confused. Guess i learned not to skim haha

I guess I'm more shocked that you actually had to google it in the first place.

intelligence

spahoopsfan

We will see but I think everyone is underestimating Kingsley.  He will be better on defense and rebounding than Portis and playing more minutes and getting better each game will be a lot better than people are giving him credit for.  If Kapita is indeed a top 50 talent and is teamed with Kingsley we will be much better inside.  Our power forwards harris and Williams did not score much inside and did not get many rebounds. A strong 6'9" kid that isn't scare to mix it up will make a big difference.  A year older Beard, Bell and available Hanna plus Whitt and I see better guard play.  If Qualls does stay we will be a good team and NCAA bound.

Wildhog

Don't blame him one bit.  I would have made the same decision.

But it sucks for us. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Atlhogfan1

IMO, Portis was the difference in at least 4-5 wins this season and possibly more.  Some of those SEC wins in the late Jan-early Feb stretch and most of the non conf wins could have happened without him.  But this was probably an NIT team without him.  No 2 seed in the SECT or 5 seed in the NCAAT.  The positive to looking forward to next season is that the team and individual players won't remain static.  You should expect at least some returning players will improve and the newcomers to bring some positive contributions.  Therefore, you can't project what will happen onto next season's team based on what we thought the current team would have done without Bobby.  It will be a different looking team that will form its own identity and habits just as the 14-15 team did.  IF Qualls were to return, I think it could very well be an NCAAT team.  Need to see the complete roster, schedule and what happens in the offseason. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GuvHog

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 15, 2015, 01:44:39 am
This isn't true at all. It would only hold true if we were a last 4 in type team with BP and we weren't. We were a top 25 type seed so there is some margin for error without him.

To claim that we don't have a chance is way over the top. It is true you don't get better hoping for addition by subtraction of a player of BPs talents, but some of his production can and will be replaced by the guys waiting in the wings.

How much they pick up will determine the fate of the team. I mean BP was wore out down the stretch in the SEC tourney and NCAA and this team still made the finals of the SEC and advanced in the NCAA tourney with a close loss to Carolina.

It's far from being hopeless.

I agree calling it hopeless and saying the Hogs don't have a chance is a stretch at the very least, but it will be quite a bit more difficult to make the NCAA tourney next year than it was this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HF#1

So many assumptions and overreactions there isn't enough time.  Losing Portis is tough.  But it's not the end of days or anything.  We have Kingsley and Thompson.  Kingsley will continue his role as rim defender.  Thompson is the x-factor offensively and rebounding.

Where I think we are going to struggle is if Qualls leaves.  With the departure of Babb, assuming Qualls is gone, that leaves us with virtually no wing players with any talent at all.

If Thompson and Kingsley can close the gap at least defensively then that will be great.  We will rely heavily upon Whit and Beard to generate offense.  If Qualls returns, he will be the go-to.  The focus of our offense changes.  We will play outside-in instead of inside-out.

I think Ted will contribute but it won't be enough to come close to replacing Portis.  If he were to average 6-8 points a game, I'd consider it a success offensively.  Same with Thompson and Kingsley.  Keeping JaCorey Williams from turning the ball over every time he touches it will be tough though.

I don't know that Mike can bring in anyone that would contribute right away unless we land a transfer that can play immediately.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HF#1 on April 15, 2015, 11:56:02 am
So many assumptions and overreactions there isn't enough time.  Losing Portis is tough.  But it's not the end of days or anything.  We have Kingsley and Thompson.  Kingsley will continue his role as rim defender.  Thompson is the x-factor offensively and rebounding.

Where I think we are going to struggle is if Qualls leaves.  With the departure of Babb, assuming Qualls is gone, that leaves us with virtually no wing players with any talent at all.

If Thompson and Kingsley can close the gap at least defensively then that will be great.  We will rely heavily upon Whit and Beard to generate offense.  If Qualls returns, he will be the go-to.  The focus of our offense changes.  We will play outside-in instead of inside-out.

I think Ted will contribute but it won't be enough to come close to replacing Portis.  If he were to average 6-8 points a game, I'd consider it a success offensively.  Same with Thompson and Kingsley.  Keeping JaCorey Williams from turning the ball over every time he touches it will be tough though.

I don't know that Mike can bring in anyone that would contribute right away unless we land a transfer that can play immediately.

Qualls is gone now. Rebuilding phase begins