Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Breakdown of the bad calls in Duke vs. Wisconsin

Started by Sharky, April 08, 2015, 02:00:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharky

Hogz87

It's Duke, and coach K is maybe the best in the business at working and manipulating the officials.  He calls timeouts to specifically berate the officials after a call or two or three he feels should've gone Duke's way.  You can call it good/smart coaching, but it's one of the biggest reasons I can't stand coach K and Duke basketball.

But yeah, there were a handful of highly questionable calls that went in Duke's favor.  I have no idea how the refs reviewed the out of bounds play and came to the conclusion that it was off Wisconsin.  The only logical explanation is that they didn't get the same shot/replay that we the viewers got that showed Winslow pretty clearly touched the ball last.  And although it was bad enough they missed Winslow stepping out of bounds that led to two more Duke points, I still think the block call on Wisconsin that put Winslow on the line was the second worst call in that stretch.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 08, 2015, 02:31:51 am
It's Duke, and coach K is maybe the best in the business at working and manipulating the officials.  He calls timeouts to specifically berate the officials after a call or two or three he feels should've gone Duke's way.  You can call it good/smart coaching, but it's one of the biggest reasons I can't stand coach K and Duke basketball.

But yeah, there were a handful of highly questionable calls that went in Duke's favor.  I have no idea how the refs reviewed the out of bounds play and came to the conclusion that it was off Wisconsin.  The only logical explanation is that they didn't get the same shot/replay that we the viewers got that showed Winslow pretty clearly touched the ball last.  And although it was bad enough they missed Winslow stepping out of bounds that led to two more Duke points, I still think the block call on Wisconsin that put Winslow on the line was the second worst call in that stretch.

I don't have a dog in the hunt and other than a basketball purist, I don't care.  But, you cite only the three last and most glaring of the calls that went Duke's favor.  IMHO there should have been others that were clearing out with the off arm that weren't called.  In all about five calls that absolutely not only turned the momentum, but delivered the game to Duke.  Some of the calls resulted directly in putting points on the board for Duke. 

The non charge (but rather a blocking call on the Wisky player) foul on Winslow was as bad a call as I have seen in a good while and you didn't need slow motion to sort it out.  It was a clear charge from the git.  Rather than two shots for Wisconsin, it was two for Duke, a four point swing all by itself and not a fourth foul on Winslow.  It was huge.  It was also 'criminally' wrong.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.