Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WOW, no visible tattoos on any of the 10 starters, vegas odds on that at the beginning of the season

Started by Brandon72, April 06, 2015, 08:28:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

aar0n

Quote from: psooie on April 07, 2015, 09:25:35 am
I don't understand why folks get massive amounts of tattoos. I means just watch MSNBC lockup and see who else has such things.

Or go to an emergency room and see the surgeon that's about to save your life is wearing long sleeves that dont quite hide his tattoo covered arms nearly enough.  GASP!!  How is it that a man who did well enough in high school to be admitted into a pre-med program, then passed the MCAT with the 2nd highest score in Arkansas history, then aced all his classes at UAMS, has full sleeves of tattoos??!

Never judge a book by it's cover. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: aar0n on April 07, 2015, 08:21:30 pm
Or go to an emergency room and see the surgeon that's about to save your life is wearing long sleeves that dont quite hide his tattoo covered arms nearly enough.  GASP!!  How is it that a man who did well enough in high school to be admitted into a pre-med program, then passed the MCAT with the 2nd highest score in Arkansas history, then aced all his classes at UAMS, has full sleeves of tattoos??!

I see doctors...quite a few doctors...every day.  I haven't seen tattoos on any of them.  I certainly haven't seen tattoos up their necks.

You've identified an outlier.

Hogfan1660

We hired a couple of laborers from a temporary service to come clean up a job site after the work was completed. One of the young men was tatted all over and had a girls name on his cheek!!!

LZH

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on April 08, 2015, 09:29:22 am
had a girls name on his cheek!!!

He's either gonna have to stick with her forever, or have a helluva scar one day, or is gonna have to date "Lisa's" all his life.

In somewhat unrelated news:  There's a gentlemen's club across the bay in Tampa that serves high-end lunches and dinners - steak, lobster, prime rib, etc....and the waitresses are all butt-ass naked.  Just as I am sure I wouldn't want a gal who makes her living walking around naked in a room full of horny old men touching my food - I have a similar perception of gals who are covered in tats.  Unclean.  I realize that isn't fair, btw...it's just me.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on April 08, 2015, 09:50:03 am
He's either gonna have to stick with her forever, or have a helluva scar one day, or is gonna have to date "Lisa's" all his life.

In somewhat unrelated news:  There's a gentlemen's club across the bay in Tampa that serves high-end lunches and dinners - steak, lobster, prime rib, etc....and the waitresses are all butt-ass naked.  Just as I am sure I wouldn't want a gal who makes her living walking around naked in a room full of horny old men touching my food - I have a similar perception of gals who are covered in tats.  Unclean.  I realize that isn't fair, btw...it's just me.

I'll put a reminder on my smartphone to schedule a vacation in Tampa..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 08, 2015, 10:03:35 am
I'll put a reminder on my smartphone to schedule a vacation in Tampa..............................

Well hell, I can't let ya go in there alone. Guess I'm in, too.

husker71

My company in Vegas had a Christmas party 10 or 12 years ago and when the owner and his wife saw all the tats I got a memo the next day about visible tattoos not being appropriate at work.  Managers had previously been told and in the employee handbook about visible tattoos.  This was a big company and they were mad about managers ignoring the handbook.  Some tough decisions were made and one manager refused to enforce the rule and was let go and he was making maybe $125,000.  I once had to terminate a front desk person who refused to get rid on their tongue stud even though it was not allowed.  This was in Dallas and she was making $16 per hour with no partner but 3 lovely kids.  She was working at Jack in the Box last time I saw her.

sickboy

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on April 07, 2015, 08:09:16 pm
It's all about your perceived judgement skills. 

It all depends on the tattoos. You guys are overlooking the artistic or cultural elements of tattooing. Every style of tattoo says something different about the person. The quality of the tattoo, the placement -- the overall design of how tattoos interact with one another.

Here's a a few good litmus tests:

If you see someone with tattoos and ever think to yourself, "I don't like tattoos -- but I can appreciate that person's tattoos for being well done." Then you're looking at someone who makes careful decisions and has taste. Two admirable qualities.

If you see someone with tattoos and think -- "They look like they were drawn by a kindergartner" or are generally offended by the content of the tattoo... then you're looking at someone who makes poor decisions.

The most important though is this. Walk up to someone who has tattoos and ask if they regret getting their tattoos. If they do -- then you know you're talking to someone who A) makes rash decisions and B) who doesn't have taste and C) might have trouble committing or generally be wishy washy.

If you ever find yourself judging someone because of the tattoos they have before you've met them -- of if you ever feel like you'd never employ someone who has tattoos -- the problem isn't them... it's you. Because you're potentially missing out on a solid person because you don't like the way they look.

aar0n

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2015, 08:42:40 am
I see doctors...quite a few doctors...every day.  I haven't seen tattoos on any of them.  I certainly haven't seen tattoos up their necks.

You've identified an outlier.

Nobody said anything about neck tattoos between the two posts you're referencing, just about people with tattoos in general.  I would never have a neck tattoo, and I REALLY don't understand people that get them on their face, but it's not my place to judge those personally who do.  I get judged negatively all the time for my out of work appearance, but appear in public in some scrubs and a long sleeve shirt and suddenly it's a 180 from that judgment even though the person inside the clothes hasn't changed. 

MissippHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 07, 2015, 04:23:40 pm
The operative words there are "can cover them up with a t-shirt." You can certainly find a job, however it probably will limit what jobs you wish to get and what company you can work for.
This makes zero sense.  If he can cover them up, how in the hell will a prospective employer know if he has them or not?  Casting couch?

MissippHog

I've worked in a few different ER's for the past 15 years and work in administration now.  I have tattoos.  Yes, they are covered up at work.  I also know of a few doctors with tats as well as a couple of clinical directors.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: Westcoasthog on April 07, 2015, 08:05:15 pm
    Tattoos are a menace to Society.   The body is the temple of God. 

Ha, I did a quick search on Bible hub.

Leviticus 19:28 "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD."

Leviticus won't let us do anything!
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

CoveMan

Quote from: MissippHog on April 08, 2015, 03:15:12 pm
This makes zero sense.  If he can cover them up, how in the hell will a prospective employer know if he has them or not?  Casting couch?
Exactly what I was thinking? I don't care how much money that I make, if someone is going to judge me based on what I look like with my shirt off, I don't want to work there. I'd rather work with people I enjoy being around and accept me for me rather than judgemental. I'm religious, but don't judge people based on what they look like or what they do to their body. I let the big man upstairs handle that for me.

justmaybe

Quote from: jry04 on April 06, 2015, 08:35:31 pm
I do not get the obsession on here regarding whether a player has tattoos. Who cares...

Ask recruiters for jobs for people coming out if college with degrees whether they care

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on April 08, 2015, 02:10:22 pm
It all depends on the tattoos. You guys are overlooking the artistic or cultural elements of tattooing. Every style of tattoo says something different about the person. The quality of the tattoo, the placement -- the overall design of how tattoos interact with one another.

Here's a a few good litmus tests:

If you see someone with tattoos and ever think to yourself, "I don't like tattoos -- but I can appreciate that person's tattoos for being well done." Then you're looking at someone who makes careful decisions and has taste. Two admirable qualities.

If you see someone with tattoos and think -- "They look like they were drawn by a kindergartner" or are generally offended by the content of the tattoo... then you're looking at someone who makes poor decisions.

The most important though is this. Walk up to someone who has tattoos and ask if they regret getting their tattoos. If they do -- then you know you're talking to someone who A) makes rash decisions and B) who doesn't have taste and C) might have trouble committing or generally be wishy washy.

If you ever find yourself judging someone because of the tattoos they have before you've met them -- of if you ever feel like you'd never employ someone who has tattoos -- the problem isn't them... it's you. Because you're potentially missing out on a solid person because you don't like the way they look.

OR D) not be able to get a job they want...............................or date who they want.

P.S. I don't necessarily have to MEET someone to jude them by their tats. If I just see them with a certain tat it can be a sign. What if they have a known gang tat or a Nazi tat or a vulgar word tat.......................Kind of a clue as to what type of person they are probably which does matter in business and most family settings. People are judged by looks and what they do to themselves all the time and have been throughout history. With some things like weight or race or accent it can be misunderstood............with a lot of tats it isn't. I don't employ people with them visible because it MATTERS in most professional settings to my customers and their customers and to I'll admit to me also. IF someone wants to express themselves with "art" then they need to buy a painting, sculpture, play music, etc. or take up those type hobbies. Those are not visible signs of expression to the public in the workplace generally speaking.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: sickboy on April 07, 2015, 02:51:54 am
But I will say that I relish breaking the stereotypes that most people attribute to guys covered in tattoos.

I've been getting that prejudgement eye for the past 3 years every time I walk into a new class. Since I'm getting my accounting degree, you can imagine the smug people I've come into contact with. There is nothing I enjoy more than watching that judgement fade over the course of a semester.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on April 09, 2015, 06:47:24 pm
I've been getting that prejudgement eye for the past 3 years every time I walk into a new class. Since I'm getting my accounting degree, you can imagine the smug people I've come into contact with. There is nothing I enjoy more than watching that judgement fade over the course of a semester.

If you are covered with tats.....................Wait till you try to get a good accounting job.................................you might not enjoy watching that process.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2015, 07:24:49 am
If you are covered with tats.....................Wait till you try to get a good accounting job.................................you might not enjoy watching that process.

At least wear long sleeves and a collar to the interviews. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Inhogswetrust

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

sickboy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2015, 05:18:04 pm
OR D) not be able to get a job they want...............................or date who they want.

P.S. I don't necessarily have to MEET someone to jude them by their tats. If I just see them with a certain tat it can be a sign. What if they have a known gang tat or a Nazi tat or a vulgar word tat.......................Kind of a clue as to what type of person they are probably which does matter in business and most family settings. People are judged by looks and what they do to themselves all the time and have been throughout history. With some things like weight or race or accent it can be misunderstood............with a lot of tats it isn't. I don't employ people with them visible because it MATTERS in most professional settings to my customers and their customers and to I'll admit to me also. IF someone wants to express themselves with "art" then they need to buy a painting, sculpture, play music, etc. or take up those type hobbies. Those are not visible signs of expression to the public in the workplace generally speaking.

I wouldn't employ someone with a gang related tattoo, or a nazi related tattoo either. Those are really bad choices.

I happen to have my arms covered and am a partner in a company that has to do business with all the major studios in Hollywood. I'm also represented by a big agency and get sent on meetings for potential jobs once a week. Most of the time... People start asking me questions about the Iron Man tattoo I have on my left arm because they're fans of the movies or the comics... If anything it helps in my industry. But having an iron man tattoo says something very different than a nazi symbol.

But if I wanted to work in corporate America, I wouldn't have gotten my body covered in tattoos. It doesn't make strategic sense.

Inhogswetrust

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sickboy on April 10, 2015, 11:26:22 am
I wouldn't employ someone with a gang related tattoo, or a nazi related tattoo either. Those are really bad choices.

I happen to have my arms covered and am a partner in a company that has to do business with all the major studios in Hollywood. I'm also represented by a big agency and get sent on meetings for potential jobs once a week. Most of the time... People start asking me questions about the Iron Man tattoo I have on my left arm... If anything it helps in my industry.

But if I wanted to work in corporate America, I wouldn't have gotten my body covered in tattoos. It doesn't make strategic sense.

You said all that needed to be said when you said "in my industry". MOST are not like that. I'd venture to say though an accountant or CEO or most admin jobs for a studio doesn't have any visible ones or at least small ones if so. I'm curious as to what your company does and what your job is?

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Pigliophile

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Arazorbackguy1

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2015, 07:24:49 am

I should have clarified. Even with all the tattoos I have, none are on my face, head, hands or neck. Luckily for me I don't have to worry about finding a job. My degree and CPA license are just going to enhance and expand what I already do.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Arazorbackguy1

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on April 11, 2015, 07:12:29 pm
I should have clarified. Even with all the tattoos I have, none are on my face, head, hands or neck. Luckily for me I don't have to worry about finding a job. My degree and CPA license are just going to enhance and expand what I already do.

CPA licenses are a good thing to have be they are not the be all to end all especially if you are not going to practice PUBLIC accounting. I know because my wife is one. She holds a position on a state CPA association committee as well. In some jobs though it doesn't mean a hill of beans. You still have to do the job well. Your degree and CPA certification (not a true license in it's truest form) will not cause you to do the job well it will be your hard work that does that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogarusa on April 10, 2015, 05:13:58 pm
Average age of this thread has to be 66.7

I'd much rather have the wisdom that comes with age and experience than the irrationality of shortsighted youth.

Sharky

Quote from: Brandon72 on April 06, 2015, 08:28:51 pm
Looks like a lot of these players understand that cool, visible tats all over yourself (especially on your neck) just might put you behind the eight ball for great entry level jobs to starting building your career/future, for those that don't get NBA pro contracts.

Two classy looking teams for sure.

One of my very accomplished ivy-league-educated law professors had full tattoo sleeves on both arms, which were generally hidden by a suit. Anyway, different times. No one cares about tattoos, unless the quality is extremely amateurish.