Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Babb Be Gone(Catch All)

Started by kingcam25, April 02, 2015, 12:32:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 01:22:57 pm
Would we block a transfer within our own conference?
Yes. Unless Mike does not think he is a very good player, which I highly doubt that is the case, I doubt we let him go to any SEC school.

poloprince

I hate it, but room had to be made.  I wish him the best.
$PoLoPrInCe$

-Blu

WHAT!!!

I would think he would be one of the last guys to leave, he was just about to get an opportunity.  He could have been one of the first guards off the bench, and possibly even competed for a starting spot next year.

Corkscrew Johnson

Dang.  Really liked this kid.  I was wanting to see him more early in the season in the hopes that he would be ready for SEC ball. 

HSVhogfan2

Damn it, I didn't want to believe he was the one. Big loss, IMO.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hogsanity

Quote from: -Blu on April 02, 2015, 01:35:09 pm
WHAT!!!

I would think he would be one of the last guys to leave, he was just about to get an opportunity.  He could have been one of the first guards off the bench, and possibly even competed for a starting spot next year.

Ok, you are at least the third person to say he was about to get a big opportunity. WHY do you say that? With Whitt and Hannahs coming on, and Qualls maybe staying, where was he going to get much more time than he got this year?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2015, 01:37:52 pm
Ok, you are at least the third person to say he was about to get a big opportunity. WHY do you say that? With Whitt and Hannahs coming on, and Qualls maybe staying, where was he going to get much more time than he got this year?

Because he is 6'5", athletic, can play defense almost as good at Watkins, can dribble and score better than Durham, and was going to be a year older in Mike's system.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 01:41:15 pm
Because he is 6'5", athletic, can play defense almost as good at Watkins, can dribble and score better than Durham, and was going to be a year older in Mike's system.

And had the best lateral quickness to play the passing lanes of anyone on the team. Would rather have one Babb than 2 Hannah's.

To me, it was one of MAs biggest mistakes of the year was not working him into the rotation. As the team gets younger MA has got to conquer his fear of playing freshmen.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

WizardofhOgZ

I have sat on this for several weeks, but now will report that I and a few other DFW fans went over to the BBQ place Nick's dad runs (just west of downtown Dallas) for a game in Feb.  It was a Saturday early afternoon game and the place wasn't very crowded (I believe they do more business at night on weekends, when they host jazz music), so his father sat down and watched the game with us.

He was friendly, but I got the vibe then that Nick might well transfer after the season.  According to the Dad, Nick was always hearing that he was their best defender and was doing very well in practices, only to sit on the bench all game (well, he frequently got in very, very late in games that were decided) while others played.  I even asked if he (the Dad) thought Nick might transfer after the season, and his response was "that's up to him".

Another issue that came up was that Nick and Jabril Durham had played against each other a few times in their HS years, since both are from the DFW area.  It was clear that Mr. Babb couldn't understand why Jabril was playing so much more than Chris.   I am not going to pretend that I know who should or should not have been playing, but I can only guess that it had to do with JD's 2 years of Juco ball in comparison to it being Nick's first year of adjustment to college basketball.  Anyway, that seemed to be one of the burrs under the saddle.

If I had ever known, I forgot that Nick's older brother Chris played recently at Iowa State.  Coincidentally, the Cyclones were playing a game at the same time the Arkansas game was on, and it was on a screen at the restaurant as well.  It was clear that Mr. Babb has great respect for their coach and program.  He seemed ambivalent about Mike (Anderson).  Also, the older son started out at Penn State, then transferred to Iowa State.  So Nick has seen this scenario play out before, and work well for his brother.

As I said, not surprised.  Kinda expected it, after that conversation.  But I didn't want to report any of this, lest a whirlwind of rumor pop up around the kid.  Better to just let it play out.

I will say I'm also disappointed, because I think now that he's dipped his toe into some games, and would have a full year of D1 practices under his belt, there is a good chance he would have emerged into a really nice player for us next season.  Guess we'll never find out.

I wish the young man well, and hope he finds what he's looking for at his next stop.

Hawg Red

Hard to say what got sideways with Babb this season. He looked lack confidence when he did play. Didn't seem to be hungry. I'm sure there's more to it than we are speculating. Or maybe not. Maybe he just made the decision to seek more playing time elsewhere.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 02, 2015, 01:46:03 pm
To me, it was one of MAs biggest mistakes of the year was not working him into the rotation. As the team gets younger MA has got to conquer his fear of playing freshmen.

I agree. He should have been pushed instead of Durham. But just when we were about to put the fork in Durham and say he is done, he would have a good game and show signs of life.

Babb has so much more potential. He showed it late in the year against Georgia. But just never got another chance.

-Blu

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2015, 01:37:52 pm

Next year, if Babb had a good off-season, he should have at least played over Hannahs, Watkins, Durham, and possibly Bell.  Not trying to player bash, but he's just a better talent than those guys, only advantage they have is experience. He's 6'5, athletic, high B-Ball IQ, can shoot the ball, can get to the rim, and really good defender.  We seen flashes of that all throughout the year when he got an opportunity, he was just inexperienced this year and learning the system, that would have or should have changed this off-season. 

This is a big loss IMO, I thought he was a very important part of our future guard rotation.  The only good out of this news is hopefully this transfer meant he heard Qualls was coming back, if that's the case I'll take the trade.  Hopefully the staff can get a solid replacement for this loss.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on April 02, 2015, 01:49:14 pm
Next year, if Babb had a good off-season, he should have at least played over Hannahs, Watkins, Durham, and possibly Bell.  Not trying to player bash, but he's just a better talent than those guys, only advantage they have is experience. He's 6'5, athletic, high B-Ball IQ, can shoot the ball, can get to the rim, and really good defender.  We seen flashes of that all throughout the year when he got an opportunity, he was just inexperienced this year and learning the system, that would have or should have changed this off-season. 

This is a big loss IMO, I thought he was a very important part of our future guard rotation.  The only good out of this news is hopefully this transfer meant he heard Qualls was coming back, if that's the case I'll take the trade.  Hopefully the staff can get a solid replacement for this loss.

I thought by his Junior year he would be averaging double figures in points, easy. He has the shot, the ball handling, and ability to get into the lane and get to the free throw line. His defense would have given him many fast break opportunities.

Big loss for the program. Watkins and Durham never showed the flashes late in the year they did early. Babb has superior talent and athleticism over them. I wish he would have been groomed to be ready for SEC play.

jry04

I personally think it all comes together for Bell next season.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 01:54:32 pm
I thought by his Junior year he would be averaging double figures in points, easy. He has the shot, the ball handling, and ability to get into the lane and get to the free throw line. His defense would have given him many fast break opportunities.

Big loss for the program. Watkins and Durham never showed the flashes late in the year they did early. Babb has superior talent and athleticism over them. I wish he would have been groomed to be ready for SEC play.

TBH, I always thought Babb should have been in the rotation this year.  Watkins did pretty good in the non-conference, but other than the Ole Miss game winner he really didn't do too much the rest of the year, same thing with Durham he had an "ok" game here and there, but nothing that really impressed or should have guaranteed either a spot in the rotation every game.

I thought the times Babb got on the floor he gave us more than either of those guys, I don't understand how he had a good game in the SEC tournament against Georgia, then didn't play again for the rest of the season.  You guys know I support CMA, but he should have played Babb over those guys, on just sheer potential alone, it's not like either of them was doing anything that Babb couldn't potentially bring as well.  I think we blew it on this one, Babb is a guy we needed to stay.

bighog2255

It's a moot point to continue arguing what Babb could have been. To say he is better or worse than what we have is purely conjecture. He played a total of 125 minutes, most of those coming in garbage time or stealing a minute at the end of a half. He showed promise in the SEC tournament against Georgia, but that's it. The rest of the time he looked lost to me.

Good luck to him wherever he lands.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 12:39:08 pm
Why would he leave just as he is about to get his big opportunity?

Maybe he was pissed that he earned playing time in practice, but never got to play over Durham/Bell/Watkins.

Dudley says he's homesick
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

-Blu

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 02, 2015, 02:01:27 pm
It's a moot point to continue arguing what Babb could have been. To say he is better or worse than what we have is purely conjecture. He played a total of 125 minutes, most of those coming in garbage time or stealing a minute at the end of a half. He showed promise in the SEC tournament against Georgia, but that's it. The rest of the time he looked lost to me.

LOL why do people respond to a topic to tell other people to stop discussing the topic.  If you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, by all means go to another thread, nobody is forcing you to read or discuss.  I don't think we're breaking any forum rules discussing a transfer and the potential impact it could have on the team.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 02, 2015, 02:01:27 pm

He may have looked lost, but that has little to do with his athleticism and potential. He was a 18 year old freshman who was trying to develop, of course he will look lost.

Pistol Pete

I never heard of Nick Babb.

bighog2255

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 02:11:04 pm
He may have looked lost, but that has little to do with his athleticism and potential. He was a 18 year old freshman who was trying to develop, of course he will look lost.

People see what they want to see.

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 02, 2015, 12:57:26 pm
Life won't be that good to me.

Sometimes dreams do come true, take it for what it is worth.
$PoLoPrInCe$

TexArkHogFan

Doc Harper says we have offered 6'9" power forward Kyle Alexander in addition to  Dikembe Dixson.  If they both accept that makes four incoming with three known leaving.  Could mean either Portis or Qualls leaving but not both.  Then again, it might not mean a damn thing. 

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/4/2/8335925/nick-babb-transferring-arkansas-basketball-team-recruiting-razorbacks
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

The_Iceman

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 02, 2015, 02:16:57 pm
People see what they want to see.

I saw 6'5", great lateral movement a quickness, smooth ball-handling, and a solid shooting stroke. I also saw a kid that had to think too much on the course, which slowed his reaction times down and made him hesitant.

poloprince

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 02, 2015, 01:46:03 pm

The fact that he showed up 6 weeks after everyone had alot to do with his playing situation.  MA plays freshman all the time, put your glasses on mane.
$PoLoPrInCe$

psooie

Mend some fences with allen, dumb to not sign him or for him to leave the state.

VanilaGorila

theFlyingHog

Adam Stokes

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 02:11:04 pm

Depends who wanted the transfer, if it was the coaching staff, Babb, or both.  Does anybody know which it was?

Before conference play started, Babb had played a total of 77 minutes and Anton Beard had played 158, so a noticeable difference but nothing crazy.  Once conference play started, Babb got just 48 minutes through the rest of the season while Beard got 506. 

Babb may have more potential than Beard, but Beard likely progressed much more this season.  You gotta think he might not have been showing very well in practice for another freshman with (as has been thrown around) "less potential and worse measureables" to get such an uptick in minutes and then for Babbs to be virtually non-existent.  If the coaches had any say in his decision to transfer, it says to me that Anderson likely feels better going forward with Durham, Hannahs, Bell, Beard, etc. than waiting for Babb to come around.

azhog10

Homesick + Larry Brown = Transfer. Everyone knows what Brown's comments were about Babb after our game. He implied that he should've been playing. Babb and his folks heard that and it led to Babb thinking more and more about heading back home. Brown shouldn't have been allowed to talk about Babb the way he did bc in my mind set the seed for this transfer.

bighog2255

Quote from: azhog10 on April 02, 2015, 02:49:24 pm
Homesick + Larry Brown = Transfer. Babb and his folks heard that and it led to Babb thinking more and more about heading back home.

Any knowledge of this, or just making wild assumptions?

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 02, 2015, 02:49:24 pm
Homesick + Larry Brown = Transfer. Everyone knows what Brown's comments were about Babb after our game. He implied that he should've been playing. Babb and his folks heard that and it led to Babb thinking more and more about heading back home. Brown shouldn't have been allowed to talk about Babb the way he did bc in my mind set the seed for this transfer.

I was thinking the same thing.  He did everything in that interview but say, "Nick, you should be playing, transfer and give me a call at the end of the season."

azhog10

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 02, 2015, 02:53:04 pm
Any knowledge of this, or just making wild assumptions?
I'm assuming his parents and Nick heard what Larry Brown said, but Larry Brown did mention Nick Babb and how he thought he should be playing or something to that affect. I'm sure if you go back there was a thread on Larry Brown's post game comments about Babb.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on April 02, 2015, 02:55:53 pm
I was thinking the same thing.  He did everything in that interview but say, "Nick, you should be playing, transfer and give me a call at the end of the season."

It is borderline tampering and he shouldn't be allowed to go to SMU.

lefty08

Does this mean hannahs is a much better player than many here give him credit from and babb is concerned about playing time?

I hate to see the kid go......good luck to you Mr babb
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 02, 2015, 02:57:31 pm
It is borderline tampering and he shouldn't be allowed to go to SMU.

I agree, even though we're done with our home/home with them, a coach can't be doing things like that.  I'm actually surprised he didn't get in trouble.  Imagine if coaches started doing stuff like that every game to target players.  I wish Nick the best, and hope he lands at a good spot, close to home, but Larry Brown shouldn't allowed to get away with that.

Here's the video for those wondering what we're talking about.

edit: Wrong Video, looking for the other.

jry04

Quote from: -Blu on April 02, 2015, 03:06:52 pm
I agree, even though we're done with our home/home with them, a coach can't be doing things like that.  I'm actually surprised he didn't get in trouble.  Imagine if coaches started doing stuff like that every game to target players.  I wish Nick the best, and hope he lands at a good spot, close to home, but Larry Brown shouldn't allowed to get away with that.

Here's the video for those wondering what we're talking about.

edit: Wrong Video, looking for the other.
Which is exactly why I would block his transfer to SMU. It isn't anything personal towards Babb, but I do not think Larry Brown should be rewarded for those comments.

TCU and Baylor are two major schools within 2 hours of his home that he could attend instead.

bighog2255

Quote from: -Blu on April 02, 2015, 03:06:52 pm

Is it a little odd that he said that? Yes. But Larry Brown says odd/idiotic things all the time. I think he was making a point about Arkansas' depth that we barely played a kid that he recruited.

You guys are making Nick Babb out to be some 5-star, can't-miss prospect. His offer list was not that impressive

Huds_HawgTide

i was excited to see what role he filled with Madden graduating...thought he had loads of potential
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

nwahogfan1

I hope we use his Scholarship on a 3/4 type player.  A 6'7 guy that likes to rebound and get points inside 15 feet.

downsouthhawg72

DownSouthHawg

navyhog24

I'm guessing we'll be going after Dikembe Dixson pretty hard now

Biggus Piggus

Babb didn't play in front of Durham because Babb's not a point guard. How hard is that to understand?
[CENSORED]!

Big Nasty 34

Ugh, shoooooottttt. That's the one I didn't want to happen but expected. Body language was awful most of the year.

rude1

Man you guys are projecting skills on him that he never demonstrated. Never saw him penetrate and get to the the rim, never saw him demonstrate he could shoot the ball effectively, never saw him lock anyone down defensively. Other than that he was kid with good size, decent handles, that you hoped would develop into a good player.

Biggus Piggus

It was hard to understand why he could not be worked into the lineup more, especially considering what we got from others. Next season, though, you'd have Madden gone, and Madden definitely got minutes that Babb otherwise would have.
[CENSORED]!

soccerrunner

My office is just a couple of blocks from Babb Brother's BBQ and I would see Nick there when he was in high school.  He's a great kid.  While it would have been nice to see him stay at Arkansas, I hope he ends up at SMU (one of my former schools).

Nick's dad Mike is a nice guy and not a bad bass player.  And, the food is real good. 

sickboy

Isn't Jimmy Whitt just a better Nick Babb? I think we'll be fine.

latrops

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 02, 2015, 03:19:25 pm
Is it a little odd that he said that? Yes. But Larry Brown says odd/idiotic things all the time. I think he was making a point about Arkansas' depth that we barely played a kid that he recruited.

You guys are making Nick Babb out to be some 5-star, can't-miss prospect. His offer list was not that impressive

Exactly.  This isn't about Larry Brown, it's about Babb.  I'm sorry it didn't work out and I wish him well.  SMU isn't on our schedule going forward, so it makes no difference whatsoever to me if that is where Babb ends up.

Ultimately, the impact of losing Babb is entirely dependent on how CMA responds.  Do we desperately sign a low impact reach just to bring in a body?  Do we give the scholarship to Watkins to keep from wasting it?  Or do we go out and sign a player, JUCO or as a late signer, that actually helps us?  Hopefully we replace Babb with someone that fills a hole and can actually play.  We could still use a big guard/SF type as well as depth at PF/C...regardless of what Portis/Qualls do.

Big Nasty 34

Oh I'm sure he's going to SMU. Gotta get someone else in now that contribute soon.