Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 seed, vs. wofford

Started by old_school_hawg, March 15, 2015, 05:36:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: FreshHog on March 16, 2015, 01:01:00 am
Well boys... We have a 26 win season + conf tourny and half of the posts in this thread are about how awful our team is. About how we cant beat so and so.

So I just want to say... I'm taking my leave from the forums permanently. I didnt realize I was on a hog hater board... Some of you have clearly lost touch with reality and what it means to be a FAN of a team. You should be embarrassed of yourselves, and the simple fact that you call yourselves fans is beyond ridiculous.

GO HOGS! Thanks for a great season razorbacks! See you all at the sweet sixteen.
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on March 16, 2015, 10:04:06 am
I am not worried about North Carolina because  here's a news flash.  Harvard will pull off the first major upset in the first round.  NC has a much tougher draw than us.  I would definitely rather be playing Wofford than Harvard.  Harvard will beat NC and then run out of steam against the Hogs.  On to the Sweet Sixteen.  WPS

Hope you are right. That would be sweet!
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Pork Twain

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 15, 2015, 06:28:06 pm
Hogs should have got a 4 seed easily before Georgetown and Louisville.
Based on what metric?  I could see us edging Georgetown, but not even close with Louisville.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/97/louisville-cardinals

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/46/georgetown-hoyas
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

choppedporkextrasauce

What you linked Pork just shows how dominant  Louisville is. I mean that 69 points a game is frightening.

Pork Twain

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 16, 2015, 10:34:20 am
What you linked Pork just shows how dominant  Louisville is. I mean that 69 points a game is frightening.
That is really what you are bringing to this?

Louisville
Beat
#14 OSU
#13 UNC
#2 UVA

Lost to
#1 UK  58-50
#18 UNC 72-71
#4 DUKE 63-52
#3 UVA 52-47
#19 UNC 70-60
#12 ND 71-59

vs

Arkansas
Beat
SMU
Dayton

Lost to
#20 ISU 95-77
Clem 68-65
Fla 57-56
LSU 81-78
#1 UK 84-67
#1 UK 78-63
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

GuvHog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on March 15, 2015, 10:30:19 pm
ND isn't a good defensive team. And you think Arkansas is? LoL watch the games... Our defense is our weakness

Defense may have been a problem for the Hogs early in the season but it isn't now. let's take a look at the Hog losses this year:

They lost 3 to teams that were just clearly better teams (Iowa State, Kentucky twice)

They lost to Ole Miss because almost everything the Rebels threw at the basket went in, they were just lucky.

The rest of the losses occurred because the Hogs shots simply weren't falling.

Summation: The Hogs biggest problem for most of the season was offensive inconsistency. IMHO
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: code red on March 15, 2015, 10:23:50 pm
K...what!  Surely you jest.

No, I believe Wisconsin is the weakest of the #1 seeds.

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on March 16, 2015, 11:24:07 am
No, I believe Wisconsin is the weakest of the #1 seeds.

Quantify...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 16, 2015, 11:12:54 am
That is really what you are bringing to this?

Louisville
Beat
#14 OSU
#13 UNC
#2 UVA

Lost to
#1 UK  58-50
#18 UNC 72-71
#4 DUKE 63-52
#3 UVA 52-47
#19 UNC 70-60
#12 ND 71-59

vs

Arkansas
Beat
SMU
Dayton

Lost to
#20 ISU 95-77
Clem 68-65
Fla 57-56
LSU 81-78
#1 UK 84-67
#1 UK 78-63

They are not the same team without their lead guard. But you go ahead and compare apples and oranges and find meaning where none exists.

jry04

Quote from: Fort Dweller on March 15, 2015, 07:35:31 pm
Well...that's how he was referred to after the speech he gave after his team won their conference tourney.  Sorry I gave the guy too much credit.

http://www.diehardsport.com/college-basketball/woffords-aerris-smith-heart-warming-speech/
That is probably just out respect for the guy. Like I said, he did not play all season, and was the 8th or 9th guy off the bench last season.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 16, 2015, 11:25:16 am
They are not the same team without their lead guard. But you go ahead and compare apples and oranges and find meaning where none exists.

If their lead guard who is no longer around would be the one who would have been killing us on our defensive boards, then your assertion might be valid.

But he's not, and it isn't.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawg66

UNC's game against Kentucky was eerily similar to yesterday's Arkansas-UK game.  Hogs will need a great effort, but they can certainly make the Sweet 16 with this draw.

hawg66

Louisville is 6-6 in their last 12, with three double digit losses.

Pork Twain

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on March 16, 2015, 11:25:16 am
You are right...  They beat three ranked teams, one top-2 team and lost several close games to top 10 teams, but we obviously "deserve" to be seeded higher because we beat SMU and got skull franked twice by Kentucky.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hawg66 on March 16, 2015, 11:37:34 am
UNC's game against Kentucky was eerily similar to yesterday's Arkansas-UK game.  Hogs will need a great effort, but they can certainly make the Sweet 16 with this draw.

I don't have any doubt that if the Hogs play at a high level, they can certainly beat UNC.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

GuvHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 16, 2015, 12:05:19 pm
You are right...  They beat three ranked teams, one top-2 team and lost several close games to top 10 teams, but we obviously "deserve" to be seeded higher because we beat SMU and got skull franked twice by Kentucky.

Since when is losing by only 15 points to the #1 team in the nation getting skull franked?

jgphillips3

We are HARD to prepare for.  Period.  UNC will either have to spend this week preparing for us, thus risking their performance in the first round or have to do it on a one day turnaround.  We just played the best team in the Country and will be scared of no one.  We won't need as much prep time as UNC based on style.  If our shots fall and Portis plays his game, we can make it to week two.

HawgTrough

Quote from: opineonswine on March 15, 2015, 06:33:27 pm
I watched NC vs. Notre Dame.  At one point, NC looked unbeatable.  Then they looked totally inept.
should have seen the ARK game vs Tennessee in the SEC tournament
WPS

rzrbkf4n

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 15, 2015, 05:43:38 pm
we got screwed.  I call 1-1 in this tourney.  Wish we would have been in the south playing Georgetown.  Don't think we beat UNC.  If somehow we do, we never will beat Wisky

UNC is in a down year. They lost to Iowa and sorry pittsburgh. and they choked against Butler. And they also lost to NC State, a program that should never, ever beat their chapel hill rivals.

I have no doubt the Hogs are a mismatch for them. We hogs are battle tested.

lumphog

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 15, 2015, 06:47:48 pm
I hope I'm wrong.  We'll see.
You usually are.....so there's that.........  ;)  (jk) I couldn't help it

Paul

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on March 16, 2015, 10:04:06 am
I am not worried about North Carolina because  here's a news flash.  Harvard will pull off the first major upset in the first round.  NC has a much tougher draw than us.  I would definitely rather be playing Wofford than Harvard.  Harvard will beat NC and then run out of steam against the Hogs.  On to the Sweet Sixteen.  WPS
Harvard isn't as good a team as it has been in the previous 4 yrs.  I think UNC wins easily.  We have historically done great in the West bracket.  I'd be very happy if we got by UNC but if we do, I think Wisky is the type of disciplined team that would dismantle our defense.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Cresthog on March 16, 2015, 09:32:24 am
This is literally the dumbest serious post I've ever seen on this board.

Congratulations. We are all now dumber thanks to you and may god have mercy on your soul.
You obviously haven't seen his MS St posts.  Lol

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on March 16, 2015, 12:48:56 pm
Since when is losing by only 15 points to the #1 team in the nation getting skull franked?

When the #1 team was leading by 20-25 most of the second half, then coasted.

GuvHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 16, 2015, 03:18:40 pm
When the #1 team was leading by 20-25 most of the second half, then coasted.

They never got to a 25 point lead Saturday and their 20 point margin was very brief. The Hogs actually got the lead down to 8 at one point in the second half.

Pork Twain

Since our players and fans started talking smack like we were going to beat them.  They dominated us for two straight games this year.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 16, 2015, 04:25:53 pm
Since our players and fans started talking smack like we were going to beat them.  They dominated us for two straight games this year.
Don't see how that's an indictment against the Hogs considering...

HF#1

You have yet to outline your reasons for saying Wisconsin is the weakest 1 seed...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bigred223

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 16, 2015, 04:25:53 pm

What do you expect? It's called being a fan.

Danny J

Quote from: HF#1 on March 16, 2015, 04:48:27 pm
You have yet to outline your reasons for saying Wisconsin is the weakest 1 seed...
They are IMO the second best one seed without question. I think they are the second best team in the country. However I would rather play them than many of the other top teams in the country not named Gonzaga(only reason I want to play them is that they beat us last year and I think our team would like some payback). Wisconsin is a ball control offense that likes to spread you out and get the ball down low and force the defense to move and either score down low or look for open perimeter shot. They don't look to break you down off the dribble which is what we struggle against. I still think they would probably beat us but it is March and you never know.

Wisco Pig

Living in Madison, I see a lot of Wisconsin basketball.   It's true that the Badgers don't rely on dribble penetration, although they'll take it when they see the opportunity.   Sam Dekker, for example, will drive from the wing or baseline, and probably should do it more often.  Traevon Jackson did more work off the dribble than the current point guard, Bronson Koenig, but Jackson has yet to return after a broken foot two months ago.  Koenig's been so good that UW hasn't missed a beat. 

Mostly, the Badgers use solid passing to get open shots, which all five starters can make.  They're one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country.  Their interior passing is excellent.  They make few turnovers, don't foul much, and rarely get caught out of position, so they tend to come up with an improbable number of loose balls.

The Badgers run a lot of half-court sets through their 7-footer, Frank Kaminsky, who's become a proverbial match-up nightmare.   He has an array of moves down low, can hit the three, and anticipates the double-team.  If you don't have a plan for Kaminsky, forget it.

Long story short, UW is a brutal draw for anyone.  Arkansas would have to play its best game of the season to win.  I say that as a Hogs fan who would like nothing better than to lord that win over my friends here for the next five years.

Danny J

Quote from: Wisco Pig on March 16, 2015, 06:45:57 pm
Living in Madison, I see a lot of Wisconsin basketball.   It's true that the Badgers don't rely on dribble penetration, although they'll take it when they see the opportunity.   Sam Dekker, for example, will drive from the wing or baseline, and probably should do it more often.  Traevon Jackson did more work off the dribble than the current point guard, Bronson Koenig, but Jackson has yet to return after a broken foot two months ago.  Koenig's been so good that UW hasn't missed a beat. 

Mostly, the Badgers use solid passing to get open shots, which all five starters can make.  They're one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country.  Their interior passing is excellent.  They make few turnovers, don't foul much, and rarely get caught out of position, so they tend to come up with an improbable number of loose balls.

The Badgers run a lot of half-court sets through their 7-footer, Frank Kaminsky, who's become a proverbial match-up nightmare.   He has an array of moves down low, can hit the three, and anticipates the double-team.  If you don't have a plan for Kaminsky, forget it.

Long story short, UW is a brutal draw for anyone.  Arkansas would have to play its best game of the season to win.  I say that as a Hogs fan who would like nothing better than to lord that win over my friends here for the next five years.
I agree on all accounts. They are a one seed for a reason. I however would rather play them than most of the other high seeds simply because of their style. They would likely still beat us but they should. It is march though and magical things happen in march.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Danny J on March 16, 2015, 05:22:44 pm
They are IMO the second best one seed without question. I think they are the second best team in the country. However I would rather play them than many of the other top teams in the country not named Gonzaga(only reason I want to play them is that they beat us last year and I think our team would like some payback). Wisconsin is a ball control offense that likes to spread you out and get the ball down low and force the defense to move and either score down low or look for open perimeter shot. They don't look to break you down off the dribble which is what we struggle against. I still think they would probably beat us but it is March and you never know.

Love some Wisky, but I think vs. Duke and Sunday vs. MSU they showed they are vulnerable to very athletic teams.

I know it's stereotypical, but I'm afraid it's true.

hawgmasta

I really am surprised by the lack of confidence in our boys. They've played hard and well. We are a top 20 team who can beat anybody if everything is clicking. Of course Kentucky is obviously different this year but I think Wofford will play tough and they'll be out away I'm the final ten minutes. UNC is a toss up, straight 50/50 we both have strengths and weaknesses that will pose problems for each other.

Hogz87

Quote from: hawgmasta on March 16, 2015, 09:53:42 pm
I really am surprised by the lack of confidence in our boys. They've played hard and well. We are a top 20 team who can beat anybody if everything is clicking. Of course Kentucky is obviously different this year but I think Wofford will play tough and they'll be out away I'm the final ten minutes. UNC is a toss up, straight 50/50 we both have strengths and weaknesses that will pose problems for each other.
With UNC, I do think their best is a little bit better than our best, but they are nowhere close to your typical "powerhouse" UNC team and haven't been since 2012.  They have one reliable shooter, go through major mental lapses, and this year they're known to blow leads.  Of course that sounds similar to us, and like us, UNC is fairly deep although their depth isn't of the greatest quality.  They play three 4*/5* freshmen (start one of them) who have shown flashes of being really good but have been up-and-down this year.  However, the one that starts that was a top 10 prospect last year (Justin Jackson) has come on really strong the last 10 games or so. 

I'm not going to take Wofford for granted (not that it matters, I'm not playing the game) but I do think we'll get past them.  But I do see the UNC game as a toss-up (if we get there).  It's one of those things I can see all outcomes being possible where either team can win by double digits or either team can win a close one.  If UNC had more than one good, consistent 3P shooter, I wouldn't think we could beat them, but they don't.  So even if we don't force a lot of turnovers with our press, we shouldn't get killed by the 3-ball unless Justin Jackson and/or Nate Britt and Joel Berry step up and hit a few 3s. 

Pork Twain

March 17, 2015, 06:47:21 am #134 Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:27:52 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 16, 2015, 04:34:04 pm
Don't see how that's an indictment against the Hogs considering...
Well I am having this debate with Guv and his son and they do not want to look at the entire body of work. Besides them having an obviously much tougher schedule than us, we have one common foe and they fared much better.

Yet they state we should be a 4 and Louisville a 5...  Their logic is illogical.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 17, 2015, 06:47:21 am
Well I am having this debate with Guv and his son and they do not want to look at the entire body of work. Besides them having an obviously much tougher schedule than us, we have one common foe and they fared much better.

Yet they state we should be a 4 and Louisville a 5...  Their logic is illogical.
Guv swears Frank Martin is a great coach.  Sometimes you have to choose your battles.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 17, 2015, 10:51:18 am
Guv swears Frank Martin is a great coach.  Sometimes you have to choose your battles.

My favorite was him saying that Gillespie wasn't an alcoholic.  He just went to rehab because he had a problem with alcohol.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

bigred223

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 17, 2015, 06:47:21 am

You have to admit with some of the player losses coupled with their play down the stretch, it seems Louisville is trending downward. They played Kentucky very early in the year, and I seriously doubt they would be able to keep it within 15 points on a neutral floor today. I would love to have Louisville be the four seed in our bracket.

Swinesong1

Quote from: bigred223 on March 17, 2015, 12:01:09 pm
You have to admit with some of the player losses coupled with their play down the stretch, it seems Louisville is trending downward. They played Kentucky very early in the year, and I seriously doubt they would be able to keep it within 15 points on a neutral floor today. I would love to have Louisville be the four seed in our bracket.
I happen to think UNC is an easier opponent.  Pretty simple scouting report on them:  Stop Paige and limit offensive rebounds.