Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 seed, vs. wofford

Started by old_school_hawg, March 15, 2015, 05:36:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

old_school_hawg

Not a bad draw! We can make the sweet 16 here! (UNC will be tough, if they survive Harvard)
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Rawland Watson

Quote from: old_school_hawg on March 15, 2015, 05:36:44 pm
Not a bad draw! We can make the sweet 16 here! (UNC will be tough, if they survive Harvard)

we better win or it'll would be a Wofford lost! :-*
hard work and dedication

razorbackfan86

What do we know about Wofford?

hawgwild child

There style of play is slow, were complete opposites.  Gonna be an interesting pace

arkansasrazorback

we got screwed.  I call 1-1 in this tourney.  Wish we would have been in the south playing Georgetown.  Don't think we beat UNC.  If somehow we do, we never will beat Wisky

tophawg19

think old princeton teams . slow down and make few mistakes . shoots pretty well . can't really run or play up tempo .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bigred223

Wofford got beat by 33 points @WVU, by 29 points @Duke. They also lost to the Citadel, Chattanooga, and William & Mary. We should win.

bigred223

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 15, 2015, 05:44:53 pm
think old princeton teams . slow down and make few mistakes . shoots pretty well . can't really run or play up tempo .

Sure we can. We have to force them into mistakes.

Rawland Watson

RosterSchedule/ResultsMedia GuideStatisticsGame Notes (SoCon Tourney)2014-15 Quick Facts2014-15 Stats (pdf)2013-14 Schedule/Results2013-14 Roster2013-14 Stats2013-14 Final Stats (pdf)2013-14 Media Guide2015 Mike Young Team Camp2015 Mike Young Basketball CampMen's Basketball Poster Desktop BackgroundHead Coach Mike YoungTerrier TakesBenjamin Johnson ArenaProspective Student-Athlete FormArchives@WoffordMBB

2014-15 Men's Basketball Roster

#1Derrick BrooksG6'2"190FreshmanHinesville, Ga.Bartow (Fla.)

#2Karl CochranG6'1"175SeniorMarietta, Ga.Walton

#3John SwintonG6'2"190SeniorMt. Pleasant, S.C.Wando

#4Zach KorkowskiF6'6"205JuniorWilliamsburg, Va.Christ School

#5Eric GarciaG6'0"181SophomoreAurora, Colo.Grandview

# 10Larry McKnight, Jr.G6'4"215FreshmanMiami, Fla.Norland

#11Bobby PerezG5'11"165FreshmanAtlanta, Ga.Marist

#12Jeremiah TateG6'1"180SophomoreColumbia, S.C.Lower Richland

#14Spencer CollinsG6'4"195JuniorEasley, S.C.Easley

#20Jaylen AllenG6'3"180SophomoreJohnson City, Tenn.Christ School (N.C.)

#24Justin GordonF6'6"205JuniorCharlotte, N.C.Northside Christian

#31C.J. NeumannF6'7"230JuniorSt. Paul, Minn.Cretin-Derham Hall

#33Cameron JacksonF6'7"255FreshmanWinchester, Va.John Handley

#34Lee SkinnerF6'6"220SeniorLombard, Ill.Glenbard East

#35Ryan SawvellF6'8"215JuniorMundelein, Ill.Mundelein

#40Eric WagenlanderG6'2"180SophomoreMt. Pleasant, S.C.Wando

Coaching Staff

MIKE YOUNGHead Men's Basketball Coach

DUSTIN KERNSAssociate Head Coach Men's Basketball

TIM JOHNSONAssistant Men's Basketball Coach

KEVIN GILTNERAssistant Men's Basketball Coach

DREW GIBSONDirector of Basketball Operations
hard work and dedication

GuvHog

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 15, 2015, 05:43:38 pm
we got screwed.  I call 1-1 in this tourney.  Wish we would have been in the south playing Georgetown.  Don't think we beat UNC.  If somehow we do, we never will beat Wisky

Disagree. If this Hog team beats UNC, they're good enough to be Wisconsin.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cresthog

As long as we don't play the worst game of the season, we will whoop them.

Way more athletic and way more size.

VictoryRedChevy

A couple of decent wins over NC State and Iona.

Danny J

Quote from: GuvHog on March 15, 2015, 05:51:07 pm
Disagree. If this Hog team beats UNC, they're good enough to be Wisconsin.
Yeah....I am not scared of Wisconsin. They are a ball control offense that looks for inside out shots. They look to establish down low and go from there. They don't have what I fear the most....quick penetrating talented guards. They do have very talented guards that is not what I am saying but they don't rely on dribble penetration which gives us fits. They are a very good 3 point shooting team. They take good shots. They are a 1 seed for a reason but they are the one seed I wanted to be paired with.

hog.goblin

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 15, 2015, 05:43:38 pm

agree, the match up with Wofford is favorable, but I don't see us having a chance against UNC or Wisky

I think we are a year away from making a run.  Just wish Portis and Qualls were coming back so we could have that year.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Danny J on March 15, 2015, 05:58:30 pm
Yeah....I am not scared of Wisconsin. They are a ball control offense that looks for inside out shots. They look to establish down low and go from there. They don't have what I fear the most....quick penetrating talented guards. They do have very talented guards that is not what I am saying but they don't rely on dribble penetration which gives us fits. They are a very good 3 point shooting team. They take good shots. They are a 1 seed for a reason but they are the one seed I wanted to be paired with.
You better be scared.  They will play zone, slow us down, and cause us to score under 50.  They will shoot lights out because we don't guard the three.

razorbackchamps94

Quote from: Danny J on March 15, 2015, 05:58:30 pm
They would shoot us out the gym .. The game wouldn't be close

scorekeeper

I like our chances to elite eight. Baylor vs Arkansas.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: scorekeeper on March 15, 2015, 06:03:54 pm
I like our chances to elite eight. Baylor vs Arkansas.
You're in dreamland bub.  UNC's guards will kill us.  If we somehow luck past them, Wisky will destroy us.

Woopig69

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 15, 2015, 06:05:01 pm
You're in dreamland bub.  UNC's guards will kill us.  If we somehow luck past them, Wisky will destroy us.
doesnt matter. It's been a wonderful year regardless.

SPAL

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Woopig69 on March 15, 2015, 06:06:27 pm
doesnt matter. It's been a wonderful year regardless.
absolutely.  don't disagree there.  But it just sucks.  I wanted the sweet 16.  I am the biggest homer when it comes to Ark in the bracket but I won't even pick us to beat UNC

scorekeeper

March madness at it's best, but since you are at it bub why don't you go ahead and tell me each winner so that I can fill my bracket out. 

-Blu

We actually got the best possible draw for a 5 Seed.  Wofford is the weakest 12 seed, so we got a really good draw for the first round.  Then when you look at the other 4 seeds we could have gotten you would say Georgetown is the weakest, however the 12 seed in that region is Stephen F. Austin, which is arguably the toughest 12 seed, so you really wouldn't want them in a first round matchup.  And I rather have the weakest 12 seed to get a feel for the tournament, and then give UNC only 1 day to prepare us.

moses_007

Seems like we played Wofford once before in the tourney.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: -Blu on March 15, 2015, 06:08:12 pm
We actually got the best possible draw for a 5 Seed.  Wofford is the weakest 12 seed, so we got a really good draw for the first round.  Then when you look at the other 4 seeds we could have gotten you would say Georgetown is the weakest, however the 12 seed in that region is Stephen F. Austin, which is arguably the toughest 12 seed, so you really wouldn't want them in a first round matchup.  And I rather have the weakest 12 seed to get a feel for the tournament, and then give UNC only 1 day to prepare us.
That actually is a good point.  But I think outside of Kentucky, Wisconsin is the toughest 1.  I see us having .001 chance of beating them.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

You mean like UNC killed Notre Dame? Oops, games are 40 minutes, not 30...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Danny J

Quote from: -Blu on March 15, 2015, 06:08:12 pm
I agree...IF both advance then I like our chances against a UNC team that really starts to show fatigue late in games. They are not a team that I worry about a lot in terms of quick guards who look to penetrate and we struggle to keep in front of us. Then Wisky? They don't look to spread and penetrate. They look to spread and get the ball down low and go inside out. They are deadly 3 point shooting team but I LOVE the draw with our 1 seed being Wisky. We got the best draw possible IMO.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Danny J on March 15, 2015, 06:12:44 pm
I agree...IF both advance then I like our chances against a UNC team that really starts to show fatigue late in games. They are not a team that I worry about a lot in terms of quick guards who look to penetrate and we struggle to keep in front of us. Then Wisky? They don't look to spread and penetrate. They look to spread and get the ball down low and go inside out. They are deadly 3 point shooting team but I LOVE the draw with our 1 seed being Wisky. We got the best draw possible IMO.
You are crazy.  We got the worst draw.  The west is the toughest.  Wisky will go 16-20 from 3 land on us probably.  Bad bad draw.  We needed the south bracket.

Fort Dweller

Wofford will be without senior leader Aerris Smith.  He's having knee surgery.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

LZH

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 15, 2015, 06:02:40 pm
You better be scared.  They will play zone, slow us down, and cause us to score under 50.  They will shoot lights out because we don't guard the three.
Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on March 15, 2015, 06:03:37 pm
They would shoot us out the gym .. The game wouldn't be close

^^^^^

GatorHog

G-town would be just as tough of a game as UNC.  Smith-Rivera is a pretty good guard. And their center is bigger than Dan Skipper.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GatorHog on March 15, 2015, 06:17:06 pm
G-town would be just as tough of a game as UNC.  Smith-Rivera is a pretty good guard. And their center is bigger than Dan Skipper.

No

Danny J

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on March 15, 2015, 06:15:32 pm
You are crazy.  We got the worst draw.  The west is the toughest.  Wisky will go 16-20 from 3 land on us probably.  Bad bad draw.  We needed the south bracket.
No way....I am not scared of Wisky....at all. Go back and look at the teams that beat us. I promise you that 75% of the teams that have beaten us have one thing in common...quick guards who look to penetrate. They don't scare me at all. Their threat is their efficiency and lack of mistakes. If we can speed them up we can get into their legs we can beat them. They are all big and physical guys. Even their guards are physical. Those type of bodies tend to wear down quickly in uptempo games. The key will be tempo. That is the best 1 seed we could have drawn. No way would I want to play Duke with their quick guard play or Villanova with their even quicker guard play. That is why when UK was struggling today when the game was close in the first 8-10 minutes that Cal noticed that Ulis gave us fits. He then started the second half.

GatorHog

-Blu

Quote from: Danny J on March 15, 2015, 06:12:44 pm

Exactly what I was thinking.  People see the UNC and Wisconsin name and panic, but all the 5 seeds I like our draw the best.  UNC has 1 really good guard in paige, but other than that they basically start 4 Forwards.  Our press is going to cause them problems, and they've been know to wear down late in games.  And as far as Wisconsin they don't necessarily have quickest guards which attack the rim which is our weakness.  Their strength is they have bigs that can stretch the floor, and our team is actually well equipped to deal with that, we have versatile forwards that can step out and guards bigs that stretch the floor, they do it everyday in practice with Portis.

And I'm not saying we're favorites to beat UNC or Wisconsin, but out of all the other 5 seed draws I like our chances to advance the best.  And that's being completely unbiased as a hog fan.  I was really dreading if we got Stephen F. Austin as a 12, or if we matched up with a team like Maryland as the 4.   VERY GOOD draw for us, don't know how some fans are upset with it.

aar0n

Wofford ranks 187th in scoring, Arkansas ranks 13th. Terriers also rank 272 in rebounding.

Wofford lost 77-44 to West Virginia, who plays an up-tempo style similar to Arkansas'.

Wofford beat Furman (11-21) 67-64 in the SoCon Tournament Championship game

hawgfan4life

For those that do not like our draw, I woudnt trade with Georgia.  Holy cow! 

Danny J

Quote from: -Blu on March 15, 2015, 06:23:24 pm
Exactly what I was thinking.  People see the UNC and Wisconsin name and panic, but all the 5 seeds I like our draw the best.  UNC has 1 really good guard in paige, but other than that they basically start 4 Forwards.  Our press is going to cause them problems, and they've been know to wear down late in games.  And as far as Wisconsin they don't necessarily have quickest guards which attack the rim which is our weakness.  Their strength is they have bigs that can stretch the floor, and our team is actually well equipped to deal with that, we have versatile forwards that can step out and guards bigs that stretch the floor, they do it everyday in practice with Portis.

And I'm not saying we're favorites to beat UNC or Wisconsin, but out of all the other 5 seed draws I like our chances to advance the best.  And that's being completely unbiased as a hog fan.  I was really dreading if we got Stephen F. Austin as a 12, or if we matched up with a team like Maryland as the 4.   VERY GOOD draw for us, don't know how some fans are upset with it.
As usual we are on the same Paige....pun intended.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 15, 2015, 06:24:24 pm
For those that do not like our draw, I woudnt trade with Georgia.  Holy cow!
OH lord no kidding. 

MountieDawg

Hogs should have got a 4 seed easily before Georgetown and Louisville.
SEC!

passinghog

My thoughts exactly. And they do start 4 forwards, regardless of what a guy is listed at. They have one ball handler in Page. We need to beat him up and wear him down.

bigdaddyhawg

Outside of a first round matchup, 5 seeds don't get a "draw".  They haven't earned a draw.

If a 5 seed wins, BY DEFINITION it's going to be the underdog in the second round.

Geeze.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

scorekeeper

This!

opineonswine

I watched NC vs. Notre Dame.  At one point, NC looked unbeatable.  Then they looked totally inept.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: opineonswine on March 15, 2015, 06:33:27 pm
I watched NC vs. Notre Dame.  At one point, NC looked unbeatable.  Then they looked totally inept.

ND isn't a really good defensive team, and they turned them over quiet a bit down the stretch.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 15, 2015, 06:30:00 pm
My thoughts exactly. And they do start 4 forwards, regardless of what a guy is listed at. They have one ball handler in Page. We need to beat him up and wear him down.
He is their only offensive threat period.  The team is full of terrible shooters.  Their best offense is rebounding missed shots.  They pound the offensive glass.

arkansasrazorback

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken  1m1 minute ago
Seeing a lot of love for Wofford over Arkansas... not gonna happen. But Hogs won't get by UNC.

GatorHog

jgphillips3

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 15, 2015, 06:30:00 pm

Put Qualls and Beard on him.  Done.