Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoked Salmon

Started by Boog41, May 17, 2016, 11:44:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog41

Met with a group of friends last weekend. One of them gave me a smoked salmon recipe that we tried. We used large skinless pieces. Dry them as well as you can. Made a brine of 4 parts dark brown sugar to 1 part kosher salt. Cover both sides thoroughly and put in the fridge 24-30 hours. We put them in large bags. Before smoking, wash all the brine completely off and dry thoroughly again. I then smoked it for 15 hours at 115 degrees. (thank you Cookshack for the low temp) The last couple of hours I put a glaze on it of sugar free apricot jam. Best smoked salmon I've had anywhere.

Wish I'd taken a pic of it.

PharmacistHog

Man that sounds awesome.  You need to start breaking out your phone when you cook and get us some pictures. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 17, 2016, 11:47:49 am
Man that sounds awesome.  You need to start breaking out your phone when you cook and get us some pictures. 

I plan on doing it at home this week. This past weekend I met with 12 other old friends for golf and I had taken my smoker with me. I'll be sure to take some pics during the process. It's pretty interesting how the salmon changes textures with the brine taking moisture out of it.

The_Hog_Father

Sounds incredible, can't wait to see the pics. Will do something like this for my Parents soon... Thank you.

Boog41

Getting started. As you can see, put the 4/1 dark brown sugar to kosher salt on very heavy on both sides. Some of you may want to ad some pepper. I got two of the large salmon filets at Sams, which were about 2.25 lbs each. For this I used about 8 cups of brown sugar and 2 cups of kosher salt.

Boog41

Into the bags they go. Next time I will use large sheet pyrex cake pans.

Boog41

After a few hours it looks, and feels like molasses.

Boog41

After 30 hours of brining, this is what they look like. The texture is completely changed now.

Boog41

This is after the 15 hours smoke at 115. Don't forget to apply sugar free apricot jam a couple of times those last two hours. Obviously the time and temp can be adjusted if you can't go that low.

PharmacistHog

Sweet!  Last and only time I tried this was when I first started getting into bbq'ing and I guess I didnt rinse it good enough as it was salty as heck.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 20, 2016, 10:58:17 am
Sweet!  Last and only time I tried this was when I first started getting into bbq'ing and I guess I didnt rinse it good enough as it was salty as heck.

Yeah, have to rinse it very well. They almost feel like gummy bears after all the brine.

BR

Quote from: Boog41 on May 20, 2016, 10:57:21 am
This is after the 15 hours smoke at 115. Don't forget to apply sugar free apricot jam a couple of times those last two hours. Obviously the time and temp can be adjusted if you can't go that low.
WOW, must try this....   Boog if your on Facebook could you please post that on my Food Page...  I know a lot of folks would like that...     https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on May 20, 2016, 11:12:57 am
Yeah, have to rinse it very well. They almost feel like gummy bears after all the brine.

Well I'm about to head towards fayetteville. You can just deliver my share of that to Baum stadium about 4oclock.

Boog41

Quote from: BR on May 20, 2016, 11:35:19 am
  WOW, must try this....   Boog if your on Facebook could you please post that on my Food Page...  I know a lot of folks would like that...     https://www.facebook.com/groups/brstikibarfoodpage/

BR, I don't do facebook. Feel free to do it yourself though.

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 20, 2016, 12:10:07 pm
Well I'm about to head towards fayetteville. You can just deliver my share of that to Baum stadium about 4oclock.

I'll bring it right over Pharm! Bring a jacket. It's been cool and drizzly all day.

BR

Quote from: Boog41 on May 20, 2016, 01:27:24 pm
BR, I don't do facebook. Feel free to do it yourself though.
Thank You... I'll do it...    Posted and Credit gave to you sir...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"