Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lump charcoal favorite f

Started by RazorCraft, May 08, 2016, 09:39:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorCraft

What lump charcoal are tall using now that ozark oak went under?  I can't find anything I like near as much.
This is a show-me world and I'm sick of talking!
CBP

PorkRinds

Ive switched to royal oak mostly. If I could get rock wood close to me I'd bite the bullet and use that but I don't think th extra price PLUS shipping is worth it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Filthy_McSwine

HogInOklahoma

Royal Oak (elite).  You cant get it in stores but you an get it with the right connections....much better than reg ROak.

PorkRinds

I found a honey hole today and got 5 bags of ozark oak. He claims to have 25-30 more in the back and will put them out in the next couple days.  4.99 for a ten lb bag. I told him I'd buy them all...

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 16, 2016, 12:58:03 am
I found a honey hole today and got 5 bags of ozark oak. He claims to have 25-30 more in the back and will put them out in the next couple days.  4.99 for a ten lb bag. I told him I'd buy them all...

I would too.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PorkRinds

I was a bit scared because the bags were obviously old, and had dust all over them and some water staining on the bag.  It's like they had them hidden somewhere and forgot about them.  But got them home last night and opened one up, and it was perfect.  All big chunks with no dust.  I'm so stoked about it.  My wife made fun of me for how happy I was about charcoal, but she just doesn't understand.  Finding a stockpile of OO is seriously a great development.  I love the stuff.  Used it last night for some chicken wings, and it was everything I thought it would be.

PharmacistHog

I'm saving my last bag for a special occasion. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

DeltaBoy

Sad that I used all my up before I learned it was going away.

HogimusMaximus

I use Prime One.  Simply put the best I have ever used.  You have to special order it and it isnt cheap, but it lasts forever.  Cooked all day on a med load.

Jackrabbit Hog

I guess I'm a mainstreamer or something.  I use Kingsford but it has to be the mesquite briquettes.  Then I toss mesquite or hickory chips on it just before I put the meat on. 

To me the key is not so much the brand of charcoal you use, it's to totally stay away from fluid-based ignition.  No "match-lite" crap, no lighter fluid, nothing like that.  I use a heating element.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 17, 2016, 11:41:01 am
I guess I'm a mainstreamer or something.  I use Kingsford but it has to be the mesquite briquettes.  Then I toss mesquite or hickory chips on it just before I put the meat on. 

To me the key is not so much the brand of charcoal you use, it's to totally stay away from fluid-based ignition.  No "match-lite" crap, no lighter fluid, nothing like that.  I use a heating element.

I have to use lump in my egg.  Can't use briq's
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on May 17, 2016, 11:36:16 am
I use Prime One.  Simply put the best I have ever used.  You have to special order it and it isnt cheap, but it lasts forever.  Cooked all day on a med load.

Where do you order it?  I've never seen or heard of it. 

PorkRinds

Lump > briquettes all day urry day. 

DeltaBoy

I mix Kingford standard with Royal Oak for some cooks but with Steaks and Pork Chops I go Hot and Fast with Royal Oak cause in the Weber it gets up to near 700 degrees with the vents all open and a 3-5 mile per hour breeze. Plus I generally have my Weber split in half with bricks so I have a Hot and Cooler zone. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 18, 2016, 08:16:21 am
I mix Kingford standard with Royal Oak for some cooks but with Steaks and Pork Chops I go Hot and Fast with Royal Oak cause in the Weber it gets up to near 700 degrees with the vents all open and a 3-5 mile per hour breeze. Plus I generally have my Weber split in half with bricks so I have a Hot and Cooler zone. 

Delta did I see you on the bbq brethren forum or is that just another dude with same name and really short posts?

DeltaBoy

That me I am always lurking and trying learn something new.  Plus I am jones for building a Ugly Drum Smoker.

PharmacistHog

I was on fire for a UDS but kinda backed off. Ive got 3 ceramic cookers so cant really justify it. Next one will be a big smoker probably on a trailer.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 18, 2016, 03:13:18 pm
I was on fire for a UDS but kinda backed off. Ive got 3 ceramic cookers so cant really justify it. Next one will be a big smoker probably on a trailer.

Cool I seen several in my area but with the kid heading to college I can not justifie spending 1,500 to 3 grand on a smoker.
I can get into a UDC for under $125.

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 17, 2016, 11:50:47 am
Where do you order it?  I've never seen or heard of it.

Friend from Colorado turned me on to it.  Cant order online.  HE usually brings me 100 lbs when he he drives for a visit.  It is a great small batch charcoal that some professionals from the area use.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on May 17, 2016, 11:36:16 am

How does it compare to Kingford Pro or Royal Oak price wise. ?

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 19, 2016, 08:42:38 am
How does it compare to Kingford Pro or Royal Oak price wise. ?

Bout the same but you should use less per cook so actually cheaper.

Jeffcphog

Anybody here ever use Fogo?  I just bought a Kamado Joe and a 35 pound bag of Fogo came with it.  I haven't tried it yet.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Jeffcphog on May 19, 2016, 01:02:11 pm
Anybody here ever use Fogo?  I just bought a Kamado Joe and a 35 pound bag of Fogo came with it.  I haven't tried it yet.

Supposed to be REALLY good, like rockwood and Ozark oak.  I just don't have access to it around here.  I ordered some more rockwood last week.  I had used a bag of generic stuff (made by royal oak) and there was little doubt how much better the rockwood is than the royal oak.  You can tell from the smell as soon as you light it.  I have to let royal oak burn in my egg until the smell cleans up.  The RW isn't like that.  The FOGO is supposed to be similar.  I would love to try it, but I was thinking it's pretty expensive.  Even moreso than the rockwood I order. 

Jeffcphog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 19, 2016, 01:13:04 pm
Supposed to be REALLY good, like rockwood and Ozark oak.  I just don't have access to it around here.  I ordered some more rockwood last week.  I had used a bag of generic stuff (made by royal oak) and there was little doubt how much better the rockwood is than the royal oak.  You can tell from the smell as soon as you light it.  I have to let royal oak burn in my egg until the smell cleans up.  The RW isn't like that.  The FOGO is supposed to be similar.  I would love to try it, but I was thinking it's pretty expensive.  Even moreso than the rockwood I order. 
Thanks Pharm.  I have always used mostly pecan wood or Kingsford.  Needed a new grill so I bought the  Classic Joe.  Will not get it until Wednesday.  I will let you know how the Fogo performs.   

PharmacistHog

Classic joe is a great choice.

Jeffcphog

I have been using my Kamato Joe almost every day since I got it.  I used up all the Fogo I had and have been using  Royal Oak since.  I tried to order another 35 pound bag of Fogo from Amazon but they said they are out of stock and don't know when or if they will have any.  They will send me an E Mail if they get any.  Fogo has ruined me for other charcoal.  The Royal Oak lump I got at Walmart is OK, but now I am looking for something better.

PharmacistHog

How much is the FOGO you were trying to order?

Jeffcphog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 15, 2016, 02:41:15 pm
How much is the FOGO you were trying to order?

Around 50.00 for 35 pound bag on Amazon.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Jeffcphog on June 15, 2016, 06:37:18 pm
Around 50.00 for 35 pound bag on Amazon.

Are you in central arkansas?

Jeffcphog

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Jeffcphog on June 15, 2016, 10:24:16 pm
Jefferson County.

I'll probably buy some more rockwood in the next week or so.  I'll sell you one of them if you want to try it.  I order it online and have to order 100 bucks worth to get free shipping so I'll have plenty.  Just let me know. 

Jeffcphog

Thanks Pharm, but I ordered the Fogo directly from the Fogo Company and got free shipping with no problem.  It was also cheaper than Amazon.  I get so spoiled by Amazon I do not shop around enough.  I will from now on.  Again, thanks for the offer.  Anything I can help you with just let me know.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Jeffcphog on June 16, 2016, 10:52:32 am
Thanks Pharm, but I ordered the Fogo directly from the Fogo Company and got free shipping with no problem.  It was also cheaper than Amazon.  I get so spoiled by Amazon I do not shop around enough.  I will from now on.  Again, thanks for the offer.  Anything I can help you with just let me know.

Thanks man.  Likewise.