Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New (to me) beef recipe I had to share...

Started by PorkRinds, September 15, 2015, 12:24:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

September 15, 2015, 12:24:26 pm Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:50:55 pm by PorkRinds
I recently started making what's been dubbed "pepper stout beef".  It's basically a chuck roast that I smoked until it hit 165 with some pecan wood.  Then you throw it in the oven with onions, peppers, spices, stout beer, and beef broth and cook until tender and shred-able.  You shred it, then put it back in the oven to cook in the juices for a bit until the juices start to thicken up.  I serve it on a bun with some muenster cheese and a horseradish spread.  It's absolutely fantastic.  And way cheaper than trying to do a brisket because I can get a small chuck roast for my small family.  It's great guys, I'm telling you.

Ingredients:

•4 lbs chuck roast
•3 bell peppers. (I used 3. Red, Green and Yellow)
•3 Jalapeños ( I like it hot. Use 2 for less heat)
•1 lg red onion
•6 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
•1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
•12 oz bottle of Guinness Extra Stout
•Kosher Salt and pepper

Rub meat in salt and pepper. Smoke to 165 internal.  Then put the beef on top of the veggies and beer/beef stock and cover with foil. Cook at 350 either in the oven or on your grill until it's tender and shred it back into the veggies and broth. Then cook until liquid starts to reduce.  I always end up pouring off some of the juice to quicken this step. I use beef stock for half the beer because my wife and kids don't like the stout flavor as much as I do.

And now for the money shots...

These are not my money shots btw. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Chicago Style Hog

Man, that looks good!!  How many people does a 4 pound roast serve?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Chicago Style Hog on September 16, 2015, 02:11:17 pm
Man, that looks good!!  How many people does a 4 pound roast serve?

Man I did about a 2 lb roast this weekend and it fed four people and we had more left over than we ate.  If you're making sandwiches it tends to go a pretty long ways.  I had it for lunch again today and it was fantastic reheated. 

Chicago Style Hog

Thanks!, I can not wait to try this!! Thanks for sharing!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Chicago Style Hog on September 16, 2015, 02:17:50 pm
Thanks!, I can not wait to try this!! Thanks for sharing!

Make sure to get a good salty melty cheese and some horseradish.  It seriously is awesome. 

Chicago Style Hog

Honestly, that is where you got me! I'm all aboard with it!! Thanks!

bigstyx

Tried this over the weekend. It was awesome and will definitely make it again. Thanks for posting!!

PorkRinds

September 28, 2015, 09:01:43 pm #8 Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 11:04:32 am by PorkRinds
Glad you liked it. We love it too.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

rcopela

I'll be trying this one, Thanks for recipe.. about how long is the smoking process?

PorkRinds

Quote from: rcopela on September 30, 2015, 01:33:04 pm
I'll be trying this one, Thanks for recipe.. about how long is the smoking process?

Depends on the size of the chuck roast.  Technically you smoke it til it hits 165.  It took me about 2.5 hours, but a bigger roast could take longer.

old hog

Always looking for great beef samich and this looks like a good one. Only problem is no smoker. Wonder if this can be cooked without the smoking and just add a ill liquid smoke. Any ideas? And no, buying a smoker is not in the plans, dadgumit.

PorkRinds

Quote from: old hog on October 01, 2015, 10:51:19 am
   Always looking for great beef samich and this looks like a good one. Only problem is no smoker. Wonder if this can be cooked without the smoking and just add a ill liquid smoke. Any ideas? And no, buying a smoker is not in the plans, dadgumit.

Do you have a grill?  If so you could probably set it up for smoking.  If you didn't want to do that you could probably grill it to get some bark on the outside and then go to the braise.  Or you could try it with liquid smoke.  It won't be as good, but I'm sure it will still be pretty darn good.  I would definitely brown it in oil or something before the braise just to get an outside bark of some sort. 

rcopela

Been meaning to make this for a long time, this stuff is top notch..

PorkRinds

Quote from: rcopela on July 11, 2016, 08:02:41 am
Been meaning to make this for a long time, this stuff is top notch..

Glad you decided to make it! It really is fantastic.  I need to throw one on the smoker soon.

Tigerloather

I made this today and it turned out great!
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity - Frank Leahy

DeltaBoy