Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLCS: Giants defeat Cards in 5. Proof that good does not always prevail over evil.

Started by popcornhog, October 07, 2014, 11:27:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

Quote from: jbell96 on October 16, 2014, 09:44:35 am
I hate to be the "If LaRussa was still managing" guy, but TLR would not have left Shelby in as long as Matheny did last night. It was obvious to me after an inning that he didn't have his best stuff. Also, I will not be the one to ask why is Wacha on the roster if he isn't going to pitch, that poor dead horse has been beaten enough.

Matheny feels he is above reproach with his decision making & I think that is why he irritates me so much.

I'm shocked Shelby hit his last at bat too.

As for Wacha -- tonight could be the night that he pitches, depending how deep Wainright can go. Used a lot of the pen last night.
WPS

jbell96

Well Matheny took Lackey out too early on Tuesday so he had to make up for it by leaving Shelby in too long last night.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on October 16, 2014, 10:01:53 am
Well Matheny took Lackey out too early on Tuesday so he had to make up for it by leaving Shelby in too long last night.

Lol, 3 2/3 innings is too long? I think Larussa would have stuck with him that long too.

It didn't matter what Matheny did last night, nothing worked at all. It was just a meltdown in every phase of the game for this team last night. They had a good run despite their deficiencies in pitching and hitting, I'm ready to see what moves get made this offseason.

The Giants and Royals will be a good series, I just won't be watching it as I have come to the realization that, right now, I hate both of those teams.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 10:10:07 am
Lol, 3 2/3 innings is too long? I think Larussa would have stuck with him that long too.

It didn't matter what Matheny did last night, nothing worked at all. It was just a meltdown in every phase of the game for this team last night. They had a good run despite their deficiencies in pitching and hitting, I'm ready to see what moves get made this offseason.

The Giants and Royals will be a good series, I just won't be watching it as I have come to the realization that, right now, I hate both of those teams.

I'll probably go to at least one WS game since I live in KC, but we'll see. I'd for sure cheer for the Royals over the Giants. Nothing against the Giants, but the Royals have become my second favorite team.
WPS

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 10:10:07 am

Actually yeah, 3 2/3 was too long last night. Remember the 2011 NLCS? Only Chris Carpenter went at least 5 innings in that series. I remember several games in that series where at the slightest hint of trouble Tony would take the starter out, no matter what the inning. I really think Tony would have taken him out when it was 4-2 and Posey up, but he's not, so there is no point to speculate or argue, just sharing my opinion.

If it had been 4-2 in the 6th, Adams is playing back on that grounder, and we concede the run for the out. Then the next ground ball would have been a step on the bag to end the inning.

I agree that the team melted down last night, but you can't deny Matheny has a dubious history of mismanaging the pitching staff.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on October 16, 2014, 11:25:40 am
Actually yeah, 3 2/3 was too long last night. Remember the 2011 NLCS? Only Chris Carpenter went at least 5 innings in that series. I remember several games in that series where at the slightest hint of trouble Tony would take the starter out, no matter what the inning. I really think Tony would have taken him out when it was 4-2 and Posey up, but he's not, so there is no point to speculate or argue, just sharing my opinion.

If it had been 4-2 in the 6th, Adams is playing back on that grounder, and we concede the run for the out. Then the next ground ball would have been a step on the bag to end the inning.

I agree that the team melted down last night, but you can't deny Matheny has a dubious history of mismanaging the pitching staff.

It didn't matter what Matheny did, last night was a clusterf--- and was destined to end badly for the Cardinals. Relievers couldn't throw strikes, is that the managers fault? Peralta hit into double plays all night, is that on the manager? Adams having brain farts, putting that one on Matheny?

I'm not giving Matheny a free pass, but a lot of the troubles last night were on player mistakes.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 11:35:14 am
It didn't matter what Matheny did, last night was a clusterf--- and was destined to end badly for the Cardinals. Relievers couldn't throw strikes, is that the managers fault? Peralta hit into double plays all night, is that on the manager? Adams having brain farts, putting that one on Matheny?

I'm not giving Matheny a free pass, but a lot of the troubles last night were on player mistakes.
Did you read my post at all? The only criticism I had of Matheny last night was for leaving Shelby in too long and noted that it was just my opinion.

In the other Cardinals thread, I made the statement above about him living Shelby in too long, but I also placed blame on Adams for his mental & fielding errors, Peralta for his rally killing double plays, & the pitching staff that somehow forgot how to throw strikes.

The frustration I have with Matheny has been building for the past 3 years so excuse me for second guessing his questionable decision making, especially when it comes to the pitching staff.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on October 16, 2014, 12:58:07 pm
Did you read my post at all? The only criticism I had of Matheny last night was for leaving Shelby in too long and noted that it was just my opinion.

In the other Cardinals thread, I made the statement above about him living Shelby in too long, but I also placed blame on Adams for his mental & fielding errors, Peralta for his rally killing double plays, & the pitching staff that somehow forgot how to throw strikes.

The frustration I have with Matheny has been building for the past 3 years so excuse me for second guessing his questionable decision making, especially when it comes to the pitching staff.

I did read your post, every last word. I responded to what I saw in here, not what I saw in another thread

I just don't think his decision making was the problem at all last night. It's like blaming offensive coordinators for players fumbling. Has he made bad decisions? Yes he has. Show me a manager who hasn't. He made moves and nobody he put in executed. I just didn't have a problem with what he did in the game last night.

My big concern is the roster, there are two players who they are unwilling, or are unable to play in Molina and Wacha. Why are they on the roster? To me, that's where some bad decision making comes into play.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 01:16:01 pm
I did read your post, every last word. I responded to what I saw in here, not what I saw in another thread

I just don't think his decision making was the problem at all last night. It's like blaming offensive coordinators for players fumbling. Has he made bad decisions? Yes he has. Show me a manager who hasn't. He made moves and nobody he put in executed. I just didn't have a problem with what he did in the game last night.

My big concern is the roster, there are two players who they are unwilling, or are unable to play in Molina and Wacha. Why are they on the roster? To me, that's where some bad decision making comes into play.

Unwilling? I have no reason to believe that -- especially with Molina. WTH man?

The three biggest complaints I have in this series are:

1) Last night why did Holiday not bunt with runners in 1st and 2nd and no outs (I think in the 1st inning)? That is mind blowing.

2) I'm surprised that Matgeny didn't pinch hit for Shelby in his final at bat last night.

3) Maness could've pitched the 10th in game 3 probably (although I get wanting to have a lead off hit to start the 10th).

#1 is the biggest one to me.

I get keeping Yadi on the roster. If there is any chance that he could come in after AJ hits in the middle of a game and play behind the plate and come out when he has to hit -- or even stay in if it's a bunt situation -- why not?

As for Wacha -- a little more puzzling, I'll admit. But we may well need him in relief work tonight. A lot of guys pitched yesterday. And he'd certainly be a good option in a 12 plus inning game.
WPS

DeltaBoy

Dang it Cards are just giving this series away! :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: ::hornsdown::
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbell96

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 01:16:01 pm

Yeah, the decision I disagreed with really didn't play much of a part in the loss last night. Peralta & Adams were easily the goats last night. Those two double plays Peralta hit in to kept us from blowing the game wide open. Imagine if he'd gotten on in front of Wong's homer. That would have definitely put the game away early. I'm not really down on Marco, because you could easily tell he was worn out.

I am with you on the roster. If Wacha isn't going to pitch he shouldn't be on the roster, but we are in a rock and a hard place on Yadi. We could replace him, but in the off chance we make the world series, he'd be ineligible for the WS even if he somehow recovers. The Royals would destroy Cruz & AJ on the base paths.

jrulz83

Quote from: jbell96 on October 16, 2014, 03:26:27 pm
Yeah, the decision I disagreed with really didn't play much of a part in the loss last night. Peralta & Adams were easily the goats last night. Those two double plays Peralta hit in to kept us from blowing the game wide open. Imagine if he'd gotten on in front of Wong's homer. That would have definitely put the game away early. I'm not really down on Marco, because you could easily tell he was worn out.

I am with you on the roster. If Wacha isn't going to pitch he shouldn't be on the roster, but we are in a rock and a hard place on Yadi. We could replace him, but in the off chance we make the world series, he'd be ineligible for the WS even if he somehow recovers. The Royals would destroy Cruz & AJ on the base paths.

I completely agree about the Royals killing it on the basepaths without Molina back there, however, have you noticed all the optimism that this club pumps out about injuries only to have it "blow up" on them later on? There's a trend with this team that they sugarcoat injuries in the information that they put out for consumption. I just doubt anything they say about injuries.

I wasn't saying that they were unwilling to play Molina, that comment was directed toward the Wacha situation, I apologize for the lack of clarity there. The "unable to" was directed toward Molina.

They really need to look hard at the process that brought about this roster construction. I just can't understand why Wacha is on it if he's not going to pitch. I understand the thought process behind having a long man on the roster, but there has been two occasions in this series where a long man could have been used but wasn't. How long has it been since Wacha threw a pitch in anger? Two; nearly 3 weeks? Because of that I don't expect much from him at this point if he is used.

This has been yet another frustrating NLCS with the Giants, but the turn around begins tonight!!

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 16, 2014, 01:46:17 pm
Unwilling? I have no reason to believe that -- especially with Molina. WTH man?

The three biggest complaints I have in this series are:

1) Last night why did Holiday not bunt with runners in 1st and 2nd and no outs (I think in the 1st inning)? That is mind blowing.

2) I'm surprised that Matgeny didn't pinch hit for Shelby in his final at bat last night.

3) Maness could've pitched the 10th in game 3 probably (although I get wanting to have a lead off hit to start the 10th).

#1 is the biggest one to me.

I get keeping Yadi on the roster. If there is any chance that he could come in after AJ hits in the middle of a game and play behind the plate and come out when he has to hit -- or even stay in if it's a bunt situation -- why not?

As for Wacha -- a little more puzzling, I'll admit. But we may well need him in relief work tonight. A lot of guys pitched yesterday. And he'd certainly be a good option in a 12 plus inning game.

I don't have a problem with them not bunting Holliday. Especially that early in the game. 2 on and no outs and you are taking the bat out of the hands of one of your best hitters. A hitter very capable of hitting a 3 run hr in that situation. Not to mention that Holliday probably has very little bunting experience for that very reason. I know it seems simple, but here's an art to bunting and a lot of players just flat out aren't good at it. Not sure if that's the case with Holliday or not.

Later in the game, I probably would have bunted him though.

popcornhog

Well, Wainwright's staying in the game. I'm cool with that.

We're hitting Bumgarner well so far.
WPS

jrulz83

This is what the Cards have done to Bumgarner:

popcornhog

WPS

jrulz83

popcornhog

What a DP.

Conservative zone this far.
WPS

jrulz83

Here begins the Giants come back to win this game.

clutch

Just got home from coaching a jr high football game. Looks like we are doing pretty good. I'm going to fight the urge to turn it on for the good of the team. I don't want to jinx anything. If it gets tied up, I'll turn it on then.

clutch

I do see that Jon Jay is still on fire. Batting a ridiculous .529 in the postseason off of some really good pitchers.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on October 16, 2014, 08:47:53 pm
Just got home from coaching a jr high football game. Looks like we are doing pretty good. I'm going to fight the urge to turn it on for the good of the team. I don't want to jinx anything. If it gets tied up, I'll turn it on then.

I decided to switch it up today and wear a Giants shirt and hat.

I've confused a lot of people at the bar tonight.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 16, 2014, 08:50:29 pm
I decided to switch it up today and wear a Giants shirt and hat.

I've confused a lot of people at the bar tonight.

Good thinking. It's win or go home, we have to pull out every trick we can think of tonight.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on October 16, 2014, 08:51:38 pm
Good thinking. It's win or go home, we have to pull out every trick we can think of tonight.

Yeah, and it cost me about $65. Better be some good juju.
WPS

jrulz83

Well, Waino gave the Cardinals what they needed, can the bullpen hold it?

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 09:22:26 pm
Well, Waino gave the Cardinals what they needed, can the bullpen hold it?

He looked like he could go another.

Sorry guys, I broke down and turned it on. I'm weak. If we lose, it's on me.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on October 16, 2014, 09:24:22 pm
He looked like he could go another.

Sorry guys, I broke down and turned it on. I'm weak. If we lose, it's on me.

He did look strong, but I'm betting that's it.

The Cardinals are sure to lose now!!!!!

jrulz83

popcornhog

Wacha is working in the pen.

Interesting.
WPS

clutch

I feel bad for matheny. It's like no matter what he does, it's the wrong move. He can't catch a break. Neshchek has been great up until this point.

johnny cash

Waino was under 100 pitches. He was shutting the door. Can't belive he didn't leave him in.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on October 16, 2014, 09:42:23 pm
I feel bad for matheny. It's like no matter what he does, it's the wrong move. He can't catch a break. Neshchek has been great up until this point.

It is astounding how many of his "moves" have failed. Wacha coming in will be a total wild card, I expect him to take the loss if he pitches. He hasn't pitched in nearly three weeks, it could be ugly.

clutch

Quote from: johnny cash on October 16, 2014, 09:43:25 pm
Waino was under 100 pitches. He was shutting the door. Can't belive he didn't leave him in.

I was kind of thinking he should go one more since we were still at the top of the order. Might as well let him throw the 8th since he wasn't going to need to be PH for.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 09:47:08 pm
It is astounding how many of his "moves" have failed. Wacha coming in will be a total wild card, I expect him to take the loss if he pitches. He hasn't pitched in nearly three weeks, it could be ugly.

And in an unfamiliar role. Plus a huge situation. Tough spot for the youngster.

jrulz83

Quote from: johnny cash on October 16, 2014, 09:43:25 pm

I was fine with that, Neshek has been solid.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 09:51:18 pm

I understood the decision either way. Just amazing how once again it bit him.

jrulz83

popcornhog

Love bringing Oscar to the plate here.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 16, 2014, 09:51:18 pm

Agreed. I think it was the right call.
WPS

jrulz83

jrulz83

Sandoval, Pence, or Belt, which one hits the NLCS clinching Homer?

popcornhog

I liked bringing Oscar in but sticking with him against the lefty was sort of surprising.
WPS

popcornhog

Go Giants!!!!

Come on Pablo!!!!!!!

⚾️🇺🇸🍻
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on October 16, 2014, 10:02:30 pm
I liked bringing Oscar in but sticking with him against the lefty was sort of surprising.

Pinch hit Kozma for Taveras? I would have just let Bourjos hack.

jrulz83

popcornhog

Good season fellas.

Lots to question, lots to build on.

I'll be cheering for the Royals in the WS.
WPS

dacskc

Well my new strategy of staying out of the game thread altogether was also a miserable failure. Oh well, next year's an odd number.

clutch

I knew I shouldn't have started watching. I screwed us.

johnny cash

Well at least we beat the Dodgers. Good season.

johnny cash

Quote from: popcornhog on October 16, 2014, 10:13:23 pm
Good season fellas.

Lots to question, lots to build on.

I'll be cheering for the Royals in the WS.
me too.