Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unofficial national championship thread

Started by elksnort, January 08, 2018, 06:56:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogPharmer

That stadium is EMPTY! Figured there would be more Bama fans still in there. I know it was probably 3:1 Georgia fans but still....
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfooey

If I was Jalen Hurts, I would transfer to GA Tech and run that option.  He might not see the field again at Bama.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

alohawg

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 08, 2018, 11:20:02 pm
Listening to that freshman QB for Bama talking about Jesus minutes after winning it all and with all the attention on him is so great.  I hate Bama but I'm a BIG fan of that kid. Great role model for young men.  Well done young man!

The whole state here in Hawaii are so proud right now. You should've heard the screams outside when that pass was caught.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

3of5-2

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ChopSooie on January 08, 2018, 11:15:59 pm
This has to stop. UCF could have played a tougher non conference schedule. Their only big win was Auburn. They played no one else.

It is a flawed system when the National Champion is not a conference champion who lost to a 4 loss team (Auburn).

Probably need to add the word "mythical" to the words National Champion, and call it Alabama 2017 Mythical National Champion.

hog.goblin

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 08, 2018, 11:13:37 pm
UCF   Undefeated conference champion and beat Auburn

Alabama   Not undefeated, no conference champion, and lost to Auburn

Shouldn't have cancelled that Ga Tech game, and perhaps played someone other than Maryland,
Austin Peay, and Florida International in nonconference.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 08, 2018, 11:13:37 pm
UCF   Undefeated conference champion and beat Auburn

Alabama   Not undefeated, no conference champion, and lost to Auburn

Boise State had some undefeated seasons as well.
So have some DIII teams.  Are they the NC?

This post is beyond ridiculous
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hog.goblin

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 08, 2018, 11:25:08 pm
It is a flawed system when the National Champion is not a conference champion who lost to a 4 loss team (Auburn).

Probably need to add the word "mythical" to the words National Champion, and call it Alabama 2017 Mythical National Champion.

But it would have been ok for Ohio St to be blown out by Iowa and Oklahoma at home and win it all simply because of "conference championship" having a mythical meaning?

PharmacistHog

Quit trolling. Only way you believe that crap is if you have ties to ucf or you're drunk.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on Yesterday at 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogfooey on January 08, 2018, 11:23:28 pm
If I was Jalen Hurts, I would transfer to GA Tech and run that option.  He might not see the field again at Bama.

I don't know.  He played well last year and this year until the last couple of games.  I think he will be back and challenge for the job next year.   He can throw.  he just needs confidence and better discipline in the pocket.  TT is very good however and it will be a challenge for both of them.   I think Eason will transfer form UGA with Fromm as the reigning QB and Justin Fields coming in next year. 

PonderinHog

hog.goblin

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 08, 2018, 11:27:40 pm
Quit trolling. Only way you believe that crap is if you have ties to ucf or you're drunk.

It's his love for Clemson and Venables

hogbud

ChicoHog

Totally disagree.  I don't like the conf championship game method because some conferences play 8 games, some play 9 and all schedules are not equal within a conference except the Big 12.  If it was up to me I would do away with the conf champion game and have 8 team playoff. 

311Hog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 08, 2018, 11:27:09 pm
Boise State had some undefeated seasons as well.
So have some DIII teams.  Are they the NC?

This post is beyond ridiculous

boise state never played and beat the team that beat the eventual NC... I mean Auburn beat Georgia to.  UCF has a legit beef. Leave it to auburn to be the source of doubt.

hoglady

Quote from: hogbud on January 08, 2018, 11:30:27 pm
Hawaiian Tebow rallies Tide to victory

Tebow only dreams of throwing the ball as well as this kid.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

311Hog

not sure if anyone else watched the game on ESN with the coaches round table with Sumlin Gundy Cut Bobo etc. but I loved it man I wish I could watch every game like that.

hog.goblin

Quote from: 311Hog on January 08, 2018, 11:33:05 pm
boise state never played and beat the team that beat the eventual NC... I mean Auburn beat Georgia to.  UCF has a legit beef. Leave it to auburn to be the source of doubt.

No, nothing legit about it.  UCF chose not to play a decent team all year.

hogsanity

Anyone that does not think the two best teams in college football right now played tonight they are too stupid to matter.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

IronHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 08, 2018, 11:27:38 pm
But it would have been ok for Ohio St to be blown out by Iowa and Oklahoma at home and win it all simply because of "conference championship" having a mythical meaning?

Because something won on the field is mythical vs another Bama do over?

2011 LSU beat Bama, Ark, won the SEC champ game...... Bama gets do over 🙄
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 08, 2018, 11:36:24 pm
Anyone that does not think the two best teams in college football right now played tonight they are too stupid to matter.

OU woulda beat Bama

Hog Pharm

You're just salty your boy Venables got beat

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 08, 2018, 11:36:26 pm

But it was okay that osu got in last yr without winning their conference?

Quote from: IronHog on January 08, 2018, 11:37:11 pm

OU woulda beat Bama

But ou couldn't beat the team that Bama beat.

Hog Pharm

Anyone who thinks UCF belongs on the same field as those two teams needs his football watching privileges revoked.

AirWarren

Correct.

hog.goblin

Quote from: IronHog on January 08, 2018, 11:36:26 pm

Winning your conference is great.  It doesn't mean you are one of the best in college football.  Sure glad USC and Florida Atlantic weren't in the playoffs.  I saw 2 championship teams tonight.

I hate them both, but no doubt, they are 1 and 2 in the country.

hog.goblin

Quote from: IronHog on January 08, 2018, 11:37:11 pm

OU woulda beat Bama

OU that lost at home against Iowa St and got a do over also?

jgphillips3

Bama or Georgia would have whipped the dog out of UCF.  Oklahoma and Clemson and for that matter Ohio State or Wisconsin would have beaten them easily too.  Just like Boise State beating Oklahoma a few years back, UCF had the perfect game against the right deflated opponent.  I'm happy for UCF for the season they had but they couldn't hang consistently with elite teams.

Atlhogfan1

A shame UGa got called for a penalty on that blocked punt.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BrickTwnHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 11:44:53 pm

Cause that decided the game

David†

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 11:44:53 pm

Should have been a false start. What's your point?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: David† on January 08, 2018, 11:51:45 pm
Should have been a false start. What's your point?

No point.  Just discussing the game.  Could have been a false start as well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogPharmer

Just when you think you've already seen the dumbest thing ever on HV....
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

IronHog

David†

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 11:54:31 pm
No point.  Just discussing the game.  Could have been a false start as well. 

I thought it was a false start watching the play. I was shocked they didn't stop play.

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Hogz87 on January 08, 2018, 11:17:55 pm
This is a lazy comparison since they both come from the same high school in Hawaii, but the college football world has spent most of Saban's Alabama tenure wondering how much scarier Alabama would be if Saban had a Marcus Mariota caliber QB under center.  It looks like we'll get to spend the next two, possibly three, years finding out with Tua Tagovailoa playing QB for Alabama.

Yeah, as if everyone didn't have enough problems dealing with Bama and their "okay" quarterbacks over the years. Now, they may have a great one. It's going to be a long remainder of the decade.  :'(

But helluva game tonight. From the entertainment standpoint, I was kinda bummed that OU/Mayfield didn't make the finals. But tonight's second half more than made up for it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 08, 2018, 11:38:41 pm
You're just salty your boy Venables got beat

They will be back.

They have an elite QB coming in for next season who may be better than Deshaun Watson (Trevor Lawrence is the nation's #1 overall ranked player; Watson was not the nation's #1 overall ranked player).

Also, Venables will be playing five 5 Star ranked defensive players in his defensive front 7 next season (three 5 Star Defensive Linemen and two 5 Star Linebackers).  He only had three 5 Star defensive players in his defensive front 7 this season.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

East Clintwood

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 10:58:17 pm
  Should have tried the kick with 10 sec left in case of bad snap they could get a do over. 

Has that ever actually happened?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Albert Einswine

They beat your almighty Clemson so you need to just get on board.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

jswineberiaskirk

Dilly Dilly

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 09, 2018, 01:15:16 am
That wasn't the only questionable call/no call in the game.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/8/16866514/georgia-alabama-referees-missed-calls-national-championship-facemask

That's pretty bad. Refs will miss calls in traffic, simply because they can't see everything. But those plays were out in the open with refs in close proximity.

The head shove on Fromm, while not a true hit to the helmet, was still fairly egregious in its intent. As an official, isn't your job to be an enforcer? Stunts less than this will draw flags. The "latitude" that Alabama's defense gets on a regular basis is huge. Why was the WR who clearly left early not flagged? The ref was a few feet away, he was looking straight at him. Same thing? Alabama gets a little gray area to operate within?

311Hog

some of you Power 5 homers are hilarious to dismiss UCF.  I mean you can look down on them all you want but the fact remains they beat Auburn soundly and who did Auburn beat?

If you remove UCF and replace them with Arkansas you guys would be making thread after thread expounding on how we beat the national champion etc. etc. and they finished undefeated.  I am not saying they ARE the national champion or that they would hold up playing an SEC conference schedule i am saying THIS YEAR they have the "best claim" i have ever seen from a non power 5 team way better than any Boise State claim because they actually beat a team that beat both teams playing for it all and remained undefeated for the whole year.  And they did it with a lame duck coach that they knew was leaving.

Also the refs in this game were horrible is that really the best the NCAA can offer? i mean it took away from the game so many missed calls. I watched from the "coaches" room and they all commented on it.

alohawg

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on January 09, 2018, 08:50:28 am
That's pretty bad. Refs will miss calls in traffic, simply because they can't see everything. But those plays were out in the open with refs in close proximity.

The head shove on Fromm, while not a true hit to the helmet, was still fairly egregious in its intent. As an official, isn't your job to be an enforcer? Stunts less than this will draw flags. The "latitude" that Alabama's defense gets on a regular basis is huge. Why was the WR who clearly left early not flagged? The ref was a few feet away, he was looking straight at him. Same thing? Alabama gets a little gray area to operate within?

I would guess the bad/missed calls favored Alabama at least 5/1.
One that stood out to me was the PI along the sideline on Alabama's game tying drive. You're correct, Alabama db's play by different rules, have for years.  ::)
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️