Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Biggest Fear from the Bielema Erorr

Started by HeathWimp, February 12, 2018, 12:32:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeathWimp

is that Bert's disastrous tenure resulted in a "hard reset" of our program's potential.  Under Petrino, we were starting to see our potential for moving up to a higher level, say something on par with Oklahoma State.  We wouldn't win a national championship (or even a conference championship), but we would be nationally relevant every year.  We might not get the best recruits, but we would be recruiting at a much higher level.

However, Bert led us down a deep rabbit hole of lost games and poor recruiting.  The closest comparison I can think of is Kansas, after Mangino was dismissed for "integrity" reasons in 2008 (FWIW, I think his "integrity" issues were a lot more serious than Petrino's, but that ground has been covered before).  Since Mangino left, Kansas has gone through two coaches and is well on their way to running off a third, and they have become kryptonite to good recruits.

Sound familiar?  We are on our third coach since Petrino (yes, Smiley counts, since he was seriously thought of as someone who might have the interim tag removed).  We are not loved by recruits.  Heck, I'm not sure that other teams need to negative-recruit against us, since we are an afterthought with decent players.  I can't remember the last time we upset a highly-ranked team. 

Are we as bad as Kansas?  Probably not.  I think we could probably beat them on the field.  But are we similar to Kansas now?  Absolutely.  And we are in a much tougher conference.  My concern is that Bert dug such a deep hole that Morris won't be able to dig us out, and that this will be the new "state of affairs." 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

99toLife

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 12, 2018, 12:32:43 pm
is that Bert's disastrous tenure resulted in a "hard reset" of our program's potential.  Under Petrino, we were starting to see our potential for moving up to a higher level, say something on par with Oklahoma State.  We wouldn't win a national championship (or even a conference championship), but we would be nationally relevant every year.  We might not get the best recruits, but we would be recruiting at a much higher level.

However, Bert led us down a deep rabbit hole of lost games and poor recruiting.  The closest comparison I can think of is Kansas, after Mangino was dismissed for "integrity" reasons in 2008 (FWIW, I think his "integrity" issues were a lot more serious than Petrino's, but that ground has been covered before).  Since Mangino left, Kansas has gone through two coaches and is well on their way to running off a third, and they have become kryptonite to good recruits.

Sound familiar?  We are on our third coach since Petrino (yes, Smiley counts, since he was seriously thought of as someone who might have the interim tag removed).  We are not loved by recruits.  Heck, I'm not sure that other teams need to negative-recruit against us, since we are an afterthought with decent players.  I can't remember the last time we upset a highly-ranked team. 

Are we as bad as Kansas?  Probably not.  I think we could probably beat them on the field.  But are we similar to Kansas now?  Absolutely. And we are in a much tougher conference.  My concern is that Bert dug such a deep hole that Morris won't be able to dig us out, and that this will be the new "state of affairs."

Nowhere near as messed up as Kansas, it's not even close.....

Razorbackers

Are we as bad as Kansas?  Probably not.  I think we could probably beat them on the field.  But are we similar to Kansas now?  Absolutely.  And we are in a much tougher conference.  My concern is that Bert dug such a deep hole that Morris won't be able to dig us out, and that this will be the new "state of affairs."

lololol

I would say that Petrino's actions were the cause for a hard reset.

NoogaHog

Uh...Ok...lets play this game. Kansas has 4 conference wins in 8 years. Averaging less than 2 wins a season over 8 years. I am not seeing the comparison. We have 3 losing seasons on the last 9. I don't get it.

And I don't really expect 2018 to be a losing season, unless we lose a bowl game to be 6-7.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

HeathWimp

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 12:39:37 pm
lololol

I still think Petrino should have been kept on after the crash.  But let's say your right, and he's the cause for the reset.  Do you think Bert made it worse? 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

HeathWimp

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 12, 2018, 12:49:33 pm
Uh...Ok...lets play this game. Kansas has 4 conference wins in 8 years. Averaging less than 2 wins a season over 8 years. I am not seeing the comparison. We have 3 losing seasons on the last 9. I don't get it.

Maybe it's not a perfect comparision.  It's just what came to mind.  Maybe we are closer to Indiana.  My point is that we may be on our way to being the next "Kansas" because of Bielema damaging the program.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 12, 2018, 12:49:51 pm
I still think Petrino should have been kept on after the crash.  But let's say your right, and he's the cause for the reset.  Do you think Bert made it worse?
To your question: is there any serious doubt ??? If there is then I really have to question that person's reasoning abilities.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 12, 2018, 12:51:50 pm
Maybe it's not a perfect comparision.  It's just what came to mind.  Maybe we are closer to Indiana.  My point is that we may be on our way to being the next "Kansas" because of Bielema damaging the program.
Sorry but I don't necessarily buy into that. Let's see what this staff can do over the next few years. At least I believe we made a POSITIVE change in so many ways when it comes to this staff. At least the administration was proactive when it became clear that: 1. CBB wasn't making any progress from the past couple of year's disasters and 2. The then sitting AD apparently had no intention of doing anything about the cluster......I suppose in some respects it would be preferable in the minds of some to have just overlooked/delayed the inevitable for at least another year.

The blow back over the buyout and the whole Malzahn situation made it very uncomfortable for a while. It most definitely wasn't easy sucking it up and going with what's best for the future of the program.

ricepig

Hindsight says it definitely was an error.

hogsanity

Nothing has reset, the program is still, on average, what it has been since joining the SEC 26 years ago.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

One thing is for sure...under Nutt and Petrino the program was a solid mid tier SEC program...at times legitimately showing flashes to get to the elite level. That flew bye bye out the window with the uncommon/integrity era.

Who knows how long it will take for us to climb back to mid tier level? Hopefully sooner than later. I'd hate to think we are now a "Kansas" level football program.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2018, 01:03:41 pm
Nothing has reset, the program is still, on average, what it has been since joining the SEC 26 years ago.
This trend we are currently on is the longest ever and says otherwise.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

RME

urkillnmesmalls

Poppycock.  This year...sure, I can see hesitancy from the players who may have been on the fence about coming to Arkansas, based solely on the uncertainty. 

But...put the right coach in place, get the excitement level back up, and I think you can turn things around fairly quickly.  Look at Iowa State and what they were able to do after getting Campbell.  There are other examples of situations where it was just a matter of getting the right coach in place.  The last two coaches at Memphis are great examples as well. 

If Morris can bring an exciting style, get fans back on board, and just do reasonably well his first year....there's no reason to believe we won't be back hovering around the top 25 in recruiting again.  The goal is...break through that ceiling and get down closer to the top 10, which history has shown is a prerequisite for winning a NC.  Look it up...the numbers don't lie.

You want to know my biggest fear, which stems from a perpetual situation?  Defensive athletes.  We struggle with that...and it's trending toward getting worse in many respects.  I'm convinced that it's largely because in Arkansas, with our low population, the best athletes ALWAYS land on offense.  As a result, we have to go outside the state and enjoy very little in state advantage with that.   

The 4.8 LB'ers look good in Arkansas HS football, but they can't compete in the SEC.  The 4.6 guys are on offense...somewhere, because of the numbers game in Arkansas. 

I am far more worried about us ever assembling enough athletes to field an SEC caliber defense than offense.  From that perspective, I'm concerned about Morris and if he can emphasize defense, or if we'll look like an even more offensive slanted team than even BP had.  We'll see...     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 12, 2018, 01:14:57 pm
Which error is THE error?
Keeping Baby Huey after the Toledo Loss.  That game should have been his Citadel.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PonderinHog

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 12, 2018, 01:18:12 pm

You want to know my biggest fear, which stems from a perpetual situation?  Defensive athletes.  We struggle with that...and it's trending toward getting worse in many respects.  I'm convinced that it's largely because in Arkansas, with our low population, the best athletes ALWAYS land on offense.  As a result, we have to go outside the state and enjoy very little in state advantage with that.   

The 4.8 LB'ers look good in Arkansas HS football, but they can't compete in the SEC.  The 4.6 guys are on offense...somewhere, because of the numbers game in Arkansas. 

I am far more worried about us ever assembling enough athletes to field an SEC caliber defense than offense.   

Not many want to see this, and even fewer will admit it, but this is going to be a huge issue for any coach here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

010HogFan

Lol I wanted Bielema gone as much as anyone, but we are nothing like Kansas. It's not even close.

010HogFan

Quote from: hogsanity on February 12, 2018, 01:23:10 pm
Not many want to see this, and even fewer will admit it, but this is going to be a huge issue for any coach here.

This is why our offense has to be borderline great for us to make any noise. We have to at least have the capability to outscore teams.

redeye

is that Bert's disastrous tenure resulted in a "hard reset" of our program's potential.  Under Petrino, we were starting to see our potential for moving up to a higher level, say something on par with Oklahoma State... 

However, Bert led us down a deep rabbit hole of lost games and poor recruiting.  The closest comparison I can think of is Kansas...

Sound familiar?  We are on our third coach since Petrino (yes, Smiley counts, since he was seriously thought of as someone who might have the interim tag removed).  We are not loved by recruits....

Are we as bad as Kansas?  Probably not.  I think we could probably beat them on the field.  But are we similar to Kansas now?  Absolutely.

Not sure how to say this respectfully, but you're wrong about everything.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 010HogFan on February 12, 2018, 01:24:51 pm
This is why our offense has to be borderline great for us to make any noise. We have to at least have the capability to outscore teams.

That is a fair point, and if the lack of defensive talent is consistently our falling down in total recruiting numbers, then I guess at some point you have to play to your strengths and let the chips fall where they may. 

I just remember time after time when about midway through the 3rd quarter, when the inspiration wore off, and fatigue and lack of depth kicked in....we just got steamrolled on defense, and it wouldn't have mattered how good our offense was, because there was zero chance we could stop anyone when they are going 7 yards on dive plays off tackle. 

When we had Spaight, Philon, and Flowers out there....we had something.  I think Morris is a good coach, but you have to have players that are difference makers. 

To this day, I'm still stunned at how the BB era played out, because I thought NOT getting difference makers on offense would be his undoing, but instead...it unravaled because of the things he was supposed to be great with....getting Offensive and Defensive lineman, being solid in the trenches, and sending those kids to the NFL.  So...I'll probably be suprised by how things play out this time too.  Maybe we'll be amazing on defense, but never get a great QB.  Who knows??   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Al Boarland

I share your concerns, OP. Many think this roster is more talented than it is. Throw in another small, low ranked, class and CCM may not be able to get the traction needed to make the program that gnat in the ear of the rest of the conference.

010HogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 12, 2018, 01:34:07 pm
That is a fair point, and if the lack of defensive talent is consistently our falling down in total recruiting numbers, then I guess at some point you have to play to your strengths and let the chips fall where they may. 

I just remember time after time when about midway through the 3rd quarter, when the inspiration wore off, and fatigue and lack of depth kicked in....we just got steamrolled on defense, and it wouldn't have mattered how good our offense was, because there was zero chance we could stop anyone when they are going 7 yards on dive plays off tackle. 

When we had Spaight, Philon, and Flowers out there....we had something.  I think Morris is a good coach, but you have to have players that are difference makers. 

To this day, I'm still stunned at how the BB era played out, because I thought NOT getting difference makers on offense would be his undoing, but instead...it unravaled because of the things he was supposed to be great with....getting Offensive and Defensive lineman, being solid in the trenches, and sending those kids to the NFL.  So...I'll probably be suprised by how things play out this time too.  Maybe we'll be amazing on defense, but never get a great QB.  Who knows??   

Agree on all counts. I too was shocked by Bielema's "strengths" becoming his undoing. Arkansas is good on defense when we have pros on defense (I know this is a Duh statement, but it is what it is).

Vantage 8 dude

I always find it amazing that some seem to believe, or at least voice the opinion, that the Hog's defense will NEVER EVER improve from the generally miserable performances of the past few years. While we can debate as to whether we have the skill sets on that side of the ball to become an noticeably top notch SEC defense, IMO unlikely without continued upgrades to current talent on the Hill, I sincerely believe that the new staff led by Chavis and Caldwell are MAJOR improvements to what we've seen over the past couple of staffs. While the players still have to perform during games, it's by no means outside the realm of possibility (or likelihood IMO) that with better coaching, schemes and development of current players we could see a noticeable improvement perhaps as early as this coming season. I just don't buy into the idea that we have such low talent levels that we can't become at least a better defensive team. Heck, just an improvement in the effort during the ENTIRE GAME as well as fundamentals would help tremendously. And no, I'm NOT expecting the Chief to perform miracles.

010HogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 12, 2018, 01:42:16 pm
I share your concerns, OP. Many think this roster is more talented than it is. Throw in another small, low ranked, class and CCM may not be able to get the traction needed to make the program that gnat in the ear of the rest of the conference.

We actually had a pretty good defensive haul in the last 2 classes. Especially in the secondary. I just wish we had a couple elite linebackers. Maybe Bumper Pool will fill that role with Harris and Greenlaw and we will be okay.

Razorbackers

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 12, 2018, 12:49:51 pm

The only thing Bret did was squander talent. 2014 and 2015 being the obvious examples. His 2015 team should have won 10 games. Stupid losses early, and close a close loss late, kept him from getting there.

But no, he certainly did not make it worse. It's like you guys just forget all context. The program was an absolute dumpster fire when he arrived. He's leaving us with a decent roster. You've got folks on here who on one hand say Bret never did anything right, and on the other hand say we're going to win 8 games next year.

It took A LOT of work to change the toxicity that was the Petrino-era locker room, and Bret deserves credit for that. Both nutt and Petrino set the program on fire on their way out the door, it's nice to have a coach just leave and tweet nice things about us.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2018, 01:42:39 pm
I always find it amazing that some seem to believe, or at least voice the opinion, that the Hog's defense will NEVER EVER improve from the generally miserable performances of the past few years. While we can debate as to whether we have the skill sets on that side of the ball to become an noticeably top notch SEC defense, IMO unlikely without continued upgrades to current talent on the Hill, I sincerely believe that the new staff led by Chavis and Caldwell are MAJOR improvements to what we've seen over the past couple of staffs. While the players still have to perform during games, it's by no means outside the realm of possibility (or likelihood IMO) that with better coaching, schemes and development of current players we could see a noticeable improvement perhaps as early as this coming season. I just don't buy into the idea that we have such low talent levels that we can't become at least a better defensive team. Heck, just an improvement in the effort during the ENTIRE GAME as well as fundamentals would help tremendously. And no, I'm NOT expecting the Chief to perform miracles.

The only problem with your theory is the last two DC's were quality coaches like Chavis.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Did you stay up all night thinking up this dumb sheet or does being stupid just come natural to you?

::)
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 12, 2018, 01:49:20 pm
The only problem with your theory is the last two DC's were quality coaches like Chavis.
Oh really ??? :o Now THAT'S interesting. Please tell in what way? It sure the heck wasn't in talent development or teaching proper techniques. Oh yeah, how about a lack of in game adjustments as well. And apparently you're also implying that both had an equal (or better) reputation around the SEC and elsewhere as does Chavis.

HeathWimp

hogcards

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 12, 2018, 01:19:54 pm
Keeping Baby Huey after the Toledo Loss.  That game should have been his Citadel.

Man, you're right.  He honestly should have been canned later that day.  ...and I'm not kidding.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 12:39:37 pm
lololol

I would say you are wrong. The man who was at fault for the downfall of the Arkansas football program was fired in November of last year and I don't mean CBB. Sadly, there are still some on this board who just can't bring themselves to admit that Jeff Long screwed up royally in April of 2012.

As for the program being like Kansas, I don't buy that at all. Coach Morris inherited some good talent form the previous HC. The problem the last 5 years wasn't a lack of talent, it was a lack of coaching.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: redeye on February 12, 2018, 01:30:41 pm
Not sure how to say this respectfully, but you're wrong about everything.
In the last 6 years Kansas has won a total of 10 football games. So obviously the comparison is an exaggeration. But the gist of his post is Bielema has taken us down a black hole and it'll be tough to dig out of this. That's not wrong like you say.

I'm fairly certain you are one of the guys who claimed Bielemas system was impeccable "building it the right way" and that we would without doubt win championships under his tutelage. It was never gonna happen man. The guy took us from somewhat respectable to Vandy. Thats not going to be an easy perception to kill.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HeathWimp

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on February 12, 2018, 01:51:55 pm
Did you stay up all night thinking up this dumb sheet or does being stupid just come natural to you?

::)

No, it just came to me while I was reading another post.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 01:44:19 pm
The only thing Bret did was squander talent. 2014 and 2015 being the obvious examples. His 2015 team should have won 10 games. Stupid losses early, and close a close loss late, kept him from getting there.

But no, he certainly did not make it worse. It's like you guys just forget all context. The program was an absolute dumpster fire when he arrived. He's leaving us with a decent roster. You've got folks on here who on one hand say Bret never did anything right, and on the other hand say we're going to win 8 games next year.

It took A LOT of work to change the toxicity that was the Petrino-era locker room, and Bret deserves credit for that. Both nutt and Petrino set the program on fire on their way out the door, it's nice to have a coach just leave and tweet nice things about us.
Hilarious...absolutely LMAO.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Al Boarland

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2018, 02:00:05 pm
Oh really ??? :o Now THAT'S interesting. Please tell in what way? It sure the heck wasn't in talent development or teaching proper techniques. Oh yeah, how about a lack of in game adjustments as well. And apparently you're also implying that both had an equal (or better) reputation around the SEC and elsewhere as does Chavis.

Message board popularity contest and who is respected in the coaching world are two different things. You have to understand that message boards posters think coaches are all world coming in and straight garbage when the leave. That's why you think the last two were garbage. It's simply a matter of not having the talent necessary to be effective.

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 12, 2018, 02:05:47 pm

Your takes are almost exclusively bad, so I'll take this as a compliment.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 02:11:47 pm
Your takes are almost exclusively bad, so I'll take this as a compliment.
Ya man we get it, Bielema was awesome. Great take.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogarusa

Not quite the bottom of the barrel of Kansas, long ways to get there. They are a basketball school. Football is simply a fall activity until
Basketball starts
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 12, 2018, 01:42:39 pm

I wouldn't even begin to know where to look to find it, but I would be curious to see where we would rank nationally with recruiting if you could segment out defense.  Like you, I'm hoping we have a core of talent that can play his schemes, and we will do much better in the coming years.   

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 01:44:19 pm

I've seen a lot of posts that were way off base (Embarrassingly some of them were mine  :-[) but that line in bold takes the cake when it comes to being wrong. One should never put Nutt and Petrino in the same sentence.

Razorbackers

Razorbackers

Quote from: GuvHog on February 12, 2018, 02:18:15 pm
I've seen a lot of posts that were way off base (Embarrassingly some of them were mine  :-[) but that line in bold takes the cake when it comes to being wrong. One should never put Nutt and Petrino in the same sentence.

1) notice I didn't capitalize nutt's name

2) Both coaches left the program in a state of disarray, and that is just a fact.

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 12, 2018, 02:19:21 pm
1) notice I didn't capitalize nutt's name

2) Both coaches left the program in a state of disarray, and that is just a fact.

I'll give you Nutt, I agree with you about him, but you're wrong about Petrino. When he was terminated, the football team had just finished the 2011 season ranked #5 in the nation having lost only to the 2 teams that played for the National Championship. The program was FAR from being in disarray. Jeff Long destroyed the program leaving it in shambles. CBB really tried but he was placed in a position he shouldn't have been put in so I don't hold him responsible for the last 5 years.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 12, 2018, 02:05:47 pm
You just randomly LMAO when someone presents things that are pretty accurate??
Petrino/Smiley left a dumpster fire, that was toxic along with an APR problem
Bielema found a way to squander away too many games particularly in 2014 and 2015, but he didn't like stop there, he kept doing it until he was fired.
Bielema built a very good roster as far as total talent, but it is quite uneven in some spots particularly at safety and OL.
Morris has the chance to be highly successful very quickly based on what he is taking over. He had a pretty decent recruiting class and maybe 3 of them contribute in 2018 because there is that much talent on the roster.

Problem is with too many on here because CBB did not deliver what he promised or what we were capable of, you can't seem to peel the onion back and find the good that has come from the experience.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2018, 01:00:34 pm
Hindsight says it definitely was an error.

Rice, for some of us, the error of hiring Bielema was not a hindsight call.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 12, 2018, 02:24:54 pm
You just randomly LMAO when someone presents things that are pretty accurate??
Petrino/Smiley left a dumpster fire, that was toxic along with an APR problem
Bielema found a way to squander away too many games particularly in 2014 and 2015, but he didn't like stop there, he kept doing it until he was fired.
Bielema built a very good roster as far as total talent, but it is quite uneven in some spots particularly at safety and OL.
Morris has the chance to be highly successful very quickly based on what he is taking over. He had a pretty decent recruiting class and maybe 3 of them contribute in 2018 because there is that much talent on the roster.

Problem is with too many on here because CBB did not deliver what he promised or what we were capable of, you can't seem to peel the onion back and find the good that has come from the experience.

Smiley left a dumpster fire, not Petrino. Jeff Long and Smiley created that dumpster fire.

LRrazorback

The error was in hiring CBB, which never would've happened had Jeff long not been allowed to hire him on his own in the first place. To this day, JL's best hire is Jamie Dixon at tcu and there's not even a close second. Horrible track record of hiring coaches.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on February 12, 2018, 02:24:08 pm
I'll give you Nutt, I agree with you about him, but you're wrong about Petrino. When he was terminated, the football team had just finished the 2011 season ranked #5 in the nation having lost only to the 2 teams that played for the national Championship. The program was FAR from being in disarray. Jeff Long destroyed the program leaving it in shambles.

Guv...I gotta give it to you man, when you latch on, you're like a wild boar...you never let go.  You're going to defend BP until hades freezes over.   

Petrino is like Pitino and Calipari.  People HATE those guys.  They love to see them fail.  Everyone around the program, media included, couldn't stand Petrino.  He was winning...so all was well. 

You can disagree all you want, but it would take a DEEP hole for an ostrich to hide their heads well enough to not be aware of how much of a laughing stock we were nationally when everything unraveleld for BP.  People LOVED it, and have not forgotten it for one second. 

"Arkansas....yeah, that was hilarious when they thought they had something with Petrino, but then what we all KNEW would happen, happened, and we got to laugh and say "I told you so."  That guy is a ticking timebomb without a hint of loyalty.  Now look at them...they got what they deserved for bringing him in." 

I know you don't see it that way...but do you travel at all?  I can't tell you HOW many times I've talked to people outside the state that had that same sentiment. 

YOU feel like he shouldn't have been fired, and that Jeff Long should have been fired for how he handled that.  You do realize that MOST people outside the state, who weren't blinded by the short stint of success, think Jeff Long should have been fired for HIRING him in the first place, and having it blow up on him and our program right?  Because I have news for you..that's the REAL world outside your bubble. 

But...carry on.  I know you will.   ;)