Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida Gators to Target Mike Norvell

Started by woo.pig, October 28, 2017, 08:39:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Steef on October 29, 2017, 09:14:35 am
HDN doesn't appeal to me.

Florida wants HDN?  That's news to me.

By the way in the end it won't matter because if Arkansas did beat them for a coach they would claim they didn't want that coach anyway.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hogsanity on October 28, 2017, 11:27:50 pm
Mid season, for cause - that cause LYING TO THE AD. Imagine that.

Do we know that he lied?  Or did he just not keep any proof/substantiation?  The first is possible cause.  The latter is not.  Either way I think it's a petty reason to avoid the buyout.  These coaches and their agents are going to adapt to prevent buyouts from being voided on technicalities or debatable points.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 29, 2017, 09:17:54 am

By the way in the end it won't matter because if Arkansas did beat them for a coach they would claim they didn't want that coach anyway.

He'll withdraw his name just before it gets narrowed down to the top 3/5

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 29, 2017, 09:48:02 am

He'll withdraw his name just before it gets narrowed down to the top 3/5
?
Did you say top 35???

Steef

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 29, 2017, 09:17:54 am

Actually... YOU said....

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 29, 2017, 09:10:27 am
Someone WANTS to be the next Razorback coach.

At which point I said...

Quote from: Steef on October 29, 2017, 09:14:35 am
HDN doesn't appeal to me.

hog.goblin

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2017, 10:01:39 am
?
Did you say top 35???

It's been HDNs pattern to say he is a candidate for a job and then withdrawing his name just as a list of top 5 or top 3 names are released.  Of course he was never even considered

LZH

TV down here says they're stuck with Mac for another year.

jkstock04

In the scenario Florida hired him and we stuck with Bielema I would be absolutely miserable over it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 29, 2017, 10:27:31 am
It's the same way at the end of every season.  May not be as many high profile jobs, but the turnover is real, with high profile jobs sprinkled in every season.
Exactly right. This argument gets old...the coaching carousel is a real deal and happens every year. This idea that if we just hold out and wait another year it'll be better is false.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

COACHINTEXAS

I wouldn't even go after him, not impressed at all. I don't know what you guys see in him!
No one plans to fail, they fail to plan!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 29, 2017, 10:15:09 am
It's been HDNs pattern to say he is a candidate for a job and then withdrawing his name just as a list of top 5 or top 3 names are released.  Of course he was never even considered

Yeah I know, but that was at places like UConn, New Nexico, Pulaski Tech, not Florida, haha. He can always blame the BlackBearLandsharts........

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: King Kong on October 28, 2017, 08:49:03 pm
Why would he not go to Nebraska

The love may be there for him and Nebraska, but he could be much more successful recruiting at Fla and win more consistently, as well.

Nebraska's recruiting has really suffered, comparatively speaking, since moving to the Big 10.  Of course the competition has also gotten better.

regi

Smoke screen.  Strickland will hire a guy he trusts and believes in.  Dan Mullen will be the next Florida HC.  Book it

hawganatic

So Florida is going to fire a coach after 2 1/2 seasons and going to back to back SEC Championship games.  Not only are they going to fire a coach after that short of time frame, they are going to fire him "with cause" and not pay him the 12.5 mill they owe, over what everybody knows is a BS reason.

Does anybody really think FL is going to be an attractive job after this debacle?

King Kong

Quote from: hawganatic on October 29, 2017, 10:56:52 am
So Florida is going to fire a coach after 2 1/2 seasons and going to back to back SEC Championship games.  Not only are they going to fire a coach after that short of time frame, they are going to fire him "with cause" and not pay him the 12.5 mill they owe, over what everybody knows is a BS reason.

Does anybody really think FL is going to be an attractive job after this debacle?

Yes

Pancetta

Florida will never get out of the buyout. He never even said HIS family received death threats, he said  that coaches families receive death threats. The best they can hope for is he will reduce their buyout by taking a head job for $1-2 million somewhere else.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

King Kong

Quote from: regi on October 29, 2017, 10:48:36 am
Smoke screen.  Strickland will hire a guy he trusts and believes in.  Dan Mullen will be the next Florida HC.  Book it

Would a great hire for them and I'm ready for Miss State to go back to an easy win each year

hawganatic

Quote from: King Kong on October 29, 2017, 10:59:01 am
Yes

mmmkay, how?  Coaches aren't flocking to the SEC right now.  The pressure to win is 10x what it is in most other conferences and the buyout in the contract is their safeguard against a school having a "quick trigger."  Georgia is starting to look like they are going to be the Bama equivalent in the East under Kirby Smart.  FL wants to fire their coach under three seasons, and not pay him what they promised in the contract if they did that.

Explain how that is an attractive situation?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Steef on October 29, 2017, 10:02:20 am

Actually... YOU said....

At which point I said...

At which point you made an erroneous conclusion.

Steef

ricepig

duckman

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 29, 2017, 10:27:31 am
It's the same way at the end of every season.  May not be as many high profile jobs, but the turnover is real, with high profile jobs sprinkled in every season.
Quote from: jkstock04 on October 29, 2017, 10:37:50 am
Exactly right. This argument gets old...the coaching carousel is a real deal and happens every year. This idea that if we just hold out and wait another year it'll be better is false.

Let me clarify, I want BB gone this year, period.  That said, this year there are potentially more QUALITY jobs coming open than normal.  These jobs also happen to be mostly in the SEC.  This year's search could be a Mongolian Cluster F*** and we better be prepared to take a gamble on an unproven coach or step up to the plate and outbid some competitors for a proven coach.  The scary part of all of this is Jeff Long could still be making this hire, let that sink in.... 

As I said in my initial post, this is a bad year to be looking for a coach....

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Steef on October 29, 2017, 11:45:31 am
Or a joke.

Maybe, HDN is a joke and is a running joke connected to countless jobs.  However I seriously doubt you were totally joking in your hidden agenda.  Too much post history.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Dark Helmet Hog

Florida may not be the great job some seem to think it is. Pay is not that much more than anywhere else in today's world and the pressure to win is worse than most other places. It's also becoming more apparent that not just anyone can just step in and start winning. I do think Petrino would fit in well there. 

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Steef

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 29, 2017, 12:16:32 pm
Maybe, HDN is a joke and is a running joke connected to countless jobs.  However I seriously doubt you were totally joking in your hidden agenda.  Too much post history.

My post history screams that I cant stand HDN.

HIS...history screams he will never work for us again.  So yeah, it wss a joke.

You were hinting you had inside info. But of course, you cant tell anyone...because its super secret.

But you still wanted everyone to know you knew.

So I made a joke to point out how silly your super secret post was.  THAT was my agenda.

It worked, too.

I dont have any other agenda for you. I don't know you well enough to have an agenda. Or care.

IronHog

Quote from: hawganatic on October 29, 2017, 10:56:52 am

No
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Matt Burks

Quote from: GuvHog on October 29, 2017, 08:02:10 am
That's just an excuse. He's being fired because he's LOSING.
This is his first year losing. He took them to the SEC Championship game in year 1 and 2.

hawgon

If Florida was as good a job as some think it is, they wouldn't be about to hire their third coach in about six years. 

Unless your name is Nick Saban, you are going to get four to five million at any Big 5 school for the most part.  At Florida, one 8-5 season gets you on the hot seat.  Gainesville is a craphole.  And so on and so forth. 

I wouldn't automatically assume that if Florida wants a guy, that they get him over Arkansas.  There are lots of factors.

All that said, Arkansas needs to have an opening and if they have an eye on someone, they need to move.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: duckman on October 29, 2017, 09:02:25 am
I want BB gone, but with all of the jobs that are opening up this is a horrible situation for Arkansas to be in.  Hiring a coach after this season is going to be a massive crap shoot....

Hiring a coach anywhere is always a crap shoot.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2017, 01:00:51 pm

Yeah, no need to let fear get in the way of what needs to be done.  We actually have a lot to offer and we need to start acting like it.

Redhogs

Quote from: hawgon on October 29, 2017, 01:03:32 pm
Yeah, no need to let fear get in the way of what needs to be done.  We actually have a lot to offer and we need to start acting like it.
Bingo...it starts at the top.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

IronHog

Agree.  Hogs not top 5 but it's top 25.

BP called it his "dream job"

rhames

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 29, 2017, 01:00:51 pm

And outside of Texas last year they never ever go the way any one expects them to

It's time for w change at Arkansas. It doesn't matter what other schools are doing

I also don't think Norvell would be Florida's first choice but who knows.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: IronHog on October 29, 2017, 01:19:25 pm

Agree.  Hogs not top 5 but it's top 25.

BP called it his "dream job"

The thing is......we will make it anyone's dream job if they bring is success.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 29, 2017, 01:20:45 pm

The thing is......we will make it anyone's dream job if they bring is success.

I don't get the thinking with our fanbase and administration.  Saban is worth at least a $100 million dollars to his school.  Now, I doubt any coach is going to be Saban here, but the right coach could add tens of millions of dollars value to this program.

Go out and find him.

IronHog

Quote from: rhames on October 29, 2017, 01:20:01 pm

And outside of Texas last year they never ever go the way any one expects them to

It's time for w change at Arkansas. It doesn't matter what other schools are doing

I also don't think Norvell would be Florida's first choice but who knows.

Florida should hire Kiffin

texas tush hog

Quote from: regi on October 29, 2017, 10:48:36 am

I think you may be onto something.

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 29, 2017, 01:22:52 pm
I don't get the thinking with our fanbase and administration.  Saban is worth at least a $100 million dollars to his school.  Now, I doubt any coach is going to be Saban here, but the right coach could add tens of millions of dollars value to this program.

Go out and find him.

The quality of a coach like Saban doesn't even enter my thought process when it comes to our job. There is no one like him.

hawgon

Quote from: rhames on October 29, 2017, 01:25:23 pm

The quality of a coach like Saban doesn't even enter my thought process when it comes to our job. There is no one like him.

I agre with that but the point is not to find the next Saban, the point is to find a coach who is good enough to add value to your program.  Saban is merely the most successful example of that.

LAGNAF

Quote from: hog.goblin on October 29, 2017, 09:47:02 am
Do we know that he lied?  Or did he just not keep any proof/substantiation?  The first is possible cause.  The latter is not.  Either way I think it's a petty reason to avoid the buyout.  These coaches and their agents are going to adapt to prevent buyouts from being voided on technicalities or debatable points.

He admitted it. Not sure how an agent negotiates a contract that allows you to lie with national media microphones in your face.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 29, 2017, 09:10:27 am
In a particular case that's not true but my inside info from my cousin says that Long would have to be fired.  Then Arkansas would beat Florida for a coach.  Someone WANTS to be the next Razorback coach.
Not trying to be argumentative but I cant beleve the AD would sway someone that much?  My alma mater is UA and I would probably take the UF job.  Way bigger upside in the east.

rhames

Quote from: hawgon on October 29, 2017, 01:27:35 pm
I agre with that but the point is not to find the next Saban, the point is to find a coach who is good enough to add value to your program.  Saban is merely the most successful example of that.

Agreed

hawgon

From a business perspective, when not one single person buys a ticket or merchandise because they are excited about a coach and what he brings to the table, that coach has no value to the program and it is time to move on.

Is there anyone who wants to argue that beyond a few friends, family, or insane persons that Bielema will be the reason anyone buys a ticket or merchandise next year?

jgphillips3

If Florida is such a great job, why did they get stuck with Muschamp and McElwain back to back?  If Norvell could choose between Florida and Arkansas, I don't think Florida is a slam dunk choice.  Not the way it once was anyway.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on October 29, 2017, 12:28:19 pm
Florida may not be the great job some seem to think it is. Pay is not that much more than anywhere else in today's world and the pressure to win is worse than most other places. It's also becoming more apparent that not just anyone can just step in and start winning. I do think Petrino would fit in well there.
He's perfect for the Gators. They are dying for an exciting offense again and there are plenty of Harleys and bleach blondes.

Porkchop#1

We's just lil' ole Arkiesaw...we's always skeered, fraidy cats.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: duckman on October 29, 2017, 12:16:20 pm
Let me clarify, I want BB gone this year, period.  That said, this year there are potentially more QUALITY jobs coming open than normal.  These jobs also happen to be mostly in the SEC.  This year's search could be a Mongolian Cluster F*** and we better be prepared to take a gamble on an unproven coach or step up to the plate and outbid some competitors for a proven coach.  The scary part of all of this is Jeff Long could still be making this hire, let that sink in.... 

As I said in my initial post, this is a bad year to be looking for a coach....

It's never a good year to look for a coach unless he has had some bad years. There are always numerous openings.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi