Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paul Eells cheese dip

Started by prattville pig, September 22, 2017, 03:59:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

prattville pig

First let me preface, we have been living in Alabama for 17 years now.  Back in the day KATV used to have a morning news show on before Good Morning America.  One morning Paul Eells was the guest on the show (I know he was sports anchor for them, but he was the guest that day) and he made his game day cheese dip for them.  So, here is the recipe for those who didn't get it twenty something years ago.  In the words of cousin Eddie, "it is gooouuud!"

1lb. ground beef
1 box block chili (Famous, Four Star, Ziegler's)
1 lb. Velveeta
1 can Rotel
1 half pint whipping cream

brown and season beef, add block chili and heat thoroughly, cube up Velveeta, add in , stir until melted, add rotel and heat everthing until thoroughly hot, remove from neat and stir in whipping cream.  Enjoy with your favorite chips and
adult beverages.
Life's too short to last long.

FANONTHEHILL

I'm in the cardiac surgery business.  This is one of those "good for business" recipes.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

PonderinHog

Swestwill66

I miss hearing Paul call our games

Ex-Trumpet

Not sure I've ever seen a chili block.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PorkRinds

DoctorSusscrofa

Darn! I accidentally scrolled right past it. Now I'm not gonna be able to get it again for another 20 years.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 22, 2017, 11:24:52 am
Yeah, I googled it...never seen it in the store.  Is it frozen?
Nope. It's in the meat section usually. It's actually made in Arkansas, or used to be anyway.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 22, 2017, 11:26:40 am
Nope. It's in the meat section usually. It's actually made in Arkansas, or used to be anyway.

Ok, headed to HEB to get some!!

DeltaBoy

Thanks for the Recipe .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HamSammich

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 22, 2017, 11:27:27 am
Ok, headed to HEB to get some!!

Never seen this before in my life. I'm about to head to HEB too. I'm sort of excited.

prattville pig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 22, 2017, 11:37:33 am
Thanks for the Recipe .
You are very welcome.  It's not the same with can chili, so don't give up on the block.  If you have to, ask the store manager to get it.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 22, 2017, 05:47:38 am
I'm in the cardiac surgery business.  This is one of those "good for business" recipes.
Sitting at a local diner here one time at the bar next to a Cardiologist. I said man those milk shakes look so good. He said, yep they keep me in business!

Danimal

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 22, 2017, 11:26:40 am
Made here in Fort Smith. I grew up with a couple of the guys whose family owns the company. Used to get into a lot of mischief with those boys in our younger days.

Ex-Trumpet

Couldn't find the Famous brand here in Cypress, but I did find a Texas brick made in Ft Worth...gonna give it a try in the morning!

HamSammich

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 22, 2017, 09:56:09 pm
Couldn't find the Famous brand here in Cypress, but I did find a Texas brick made in Ft Worth...gonna give it a try in the morning!

Heb in sugar land no go. I'm pretty sad.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HamSammich on September 22, 2017, 10:02:31 pm

I hit the Kroger in Cypress for the Texas brick.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HamSammich on September 22, 2017, 10:02:31 pm

Btw...how did you fare in Harvey?  Good here in my immediate neighborhood.  Bad a couple blocks away!

clew

Glad to hear y'all fared well. We didn't have any water in the house but it was closer than I ever want to see it again. I'm in Clear Lake. I'll check the HEB down the street to see if we have a chili block!
Pure as the dawn

MO.Hog

Ex-Trumpet

^  Looks about like mine!  I accidently put the whole 2# of Velveeta in it though...certainly didn't ruin it!  Cause, Velveeta!!

prattville pig

I'm glad y'all liked it, I'm eating some right now. 

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 22, 2017, 10:58:58 am
Good chili can be found from Petit Jean also.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hoginsavga

This really brings back fond memories of some of my Dad's home cooking. I can remember the delicious block chili, sometimes brains and eggs (never thought to ask him where he got the brains), squirrel and dumplings, rabbit stew and to top it off poke salad greens. He could put Hee Haw to shame.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hoginsavga on September 29, 2017, 06:17:45 pm
This really brings back fond memories of some of my Dad's home cooking. I can remember the delicious block chili, sometimes brains and eggs (never thought to ask him where he got the brains), squirrel and dumplings, rabbit stew and to top it off poke salad greens. He could put Hee Haw to shame.

Man, that's some good eats!  My dad could fry perch like nobody!  And his crappy was just in another league!!

He would come in after work  many times around 8-9 in the evening (building a business) and ask my mom what was for dinner...and she would usually reply with some casserole she had worked hours on (my brother and I had already turned up our noses at that crap--kids with kids' pallets!).

Dad would get out the cast iron skillet and fry up some fish and taters!  And, of course, leave the mess for mom to clean up...  :D

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on September 29, 2017, 06:57:26 pm
Man, that's some good eats!  My dad could fry perch like nobody!  And his crappy was just in another league!!

He would come in after work  many times around 8-9 in the evening (building a business) and ask my mom what was for dinner...and she would usually reply with some casserole she had worked hours on (my brother and I had already turned up our noses at that crap--kids with kids' pallets!).

Dad would get out the cast iron skillet and fry up some fish and taters!  And, of course, leave the mess for mom to clean up...  :D

I have to ask, did you ever have pickled pigs feet?

je100

Quote from: Hoginsavga on September 29, 2017, 06:17:45 pm

I love you.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hoginsavga on September 29, 2017, 08:13:05 pm
I have to ask, did you ever have pickled pigs feet?

No, just the jowls and hocks. 

But, my mom used to boil a beef tongue when I was a kid.  Used to freak me out...I never wanted to taste something that could be tasting me back!

PonderinHog

I figured someone would acknowledge the brilliance of my "Oh my" reference.   >:(

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

prattville pig

prattville pig

Alright, y'all have one week to get out there and find some block chili.  A can of Wolf Brand or Armour just ain't the same at all, and the beans ruin it.  I was just bringing this back up because this is good stuff, and will probably be a lot better with a winning football team.

DeltaBoy

hoglady

Petit Jean makes some. ( it's normally around where the sausage, hot dogs and/or cold cuts are)
I buy it for chili dogs often - I think it by far is the best around.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PonderinHog

Try to cut in front of me in the chili line and I'll show you a chili block.

hawg1221

I'm glad this thread was brought back to the top. I didn't see this before, but I'm definitely going to try this.

010HogFan

sounds like it would go good with some brisket

HogPharmer

Rev wanted me to ask if the chili has beans in it?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

DeltaBoy

In the frozen foods section.

hawg1221

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 27, 2018, 10:53:52 am
In the frozen foods section.

At Arkansas Walmarts it's in the cold meats section.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 27, 2018, 10:26:21 am
Try to cut in front of me in the chili line and I'll show you a chili block.
You are on fire in this thread.  I noticed the Oh My. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Arthur pigby sellers.

The whipping cream is interesting. Anybody else use that in their cheese dip? 

A good alternative to using chili is canned tamales in the cheese dip. Just don't let the wife know I gave up her secret ingredient

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 22, 2017, 05:47:38 am

mabe you should copyright some recipes..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: prattville pig on August 27, 2018, 12:03:06 am
Alright, y'all have one week to get out there and find some block chili.  A can of Wolf Brand or Armour just ain't the same at all, and the beans ruin it.  I was just bringing this back up because this is good stuff, and will probably be a lot better with a winning football team.

Beans in chili should be against the law!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogPharmer on August 27, 2018, 10:50:34 am
Rev wanted me to ask if the chili has beans in it?

I though Rev only liked 100% sheep chili..............

Pigstie

Quote from: Hog N Bama on September 22, 2017, 09:19:18 pm
Sitting at a local diner here one time at the bar next to a Cardiologist. I said man those milk shakes look so good. He said, yep they keep me in business!
All in moderation....   ;)
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Busta_Nutt

BigD94

Going to have to give this a try this weekend.
WOO PIG!

LAHogfan123

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 22, 2017, 09:56:12 am
I miss hearing Paul call our games

I wanted to bring this back to the top, great dip.  By the way, I so miss Paul calling the game, I have not listened to the radio since, Chuck Barrett makes me want to break things.