Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Roster

Started by Hawgphish, December 26, 2016, 08:11:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgphish

When will the university website update the baseball roster to 2016-17?  I like reading about the new players. 

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

The final 35 man roster is usually released by the U of A about a week or two before the first game, but there will be plenty to read about the players long before. In the mean time you can find some information on the players by reading the recruiting threads.

Way Too Early Look at the 2017 Hogs
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=612332.0

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/future-diamond-hogs-make-a-splash-at-baum

2017 Recruiting and Beyond
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=614478.0

Cornfed Pig

looks like a buncha good dudes. can't wait to cheer for 'em

PigWig

I'm pumped.

Anyone heard any updates on Heiss?

Knot2brite

Seems like there are some names that I read about this fall not on the list..am I wrong?
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

bulldog04

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 07, 2017, 05:01:07 pm
Seems like there are some names that I read about this fall not on the list..am I wrong?
Wiggins, Nate Alberius, Ty Harris, Catron, Jack Benninghoff, Hunter Hart, Michael Brawner, are some that I notice

ricepig

There's 44 on there, don't we have to get it to 35?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 07, 2017, 06:10:08 pm
Wiggins, Nate Alberius, Ty Harris, Catron, Jack Benninghoff, Hunter Hart, Michael Brawner, are some that I notice
Darien Simms also.

ucahogfan

My updated starting lineup based on the roster which was just posted:

1.  Arledge - RF
2.  Shaddy - 3B
3.  Bonfield - LF
4.  Spanberger - 1B
5.  Koch - C
6.  Gates - 2B
7.  Fletcher - CF
8.  McFarland / Lee - DH
9.  Biggers - SS

Friday - Blaine Knight
Saturday - Isaiah Campbell
Sunday - Keaton McKinney / Trevor Stephan
Relief Aces - Dominic Taccolini / Barrett Loseke
Other Options - Evan Lee / Cannon Chadwick / Brenden Heiss / Josh Alberius

There is a lot of depth on the team this year.  Hopefully we are much better and back where we belong in June.

Scott7703

Really wish we had been able to keep Wiggins, Harris and Hart around.

ricepig

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 08, 2017, 02:36:17 pm
Really wish we had been able to keep Wiggins, Harris and Hart around.

Unless their replacements are much better.......

Knot2brite

I fully expect Shaddy to be at second base by the end of the year according to what I hear...

Scott7703

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 08, 2017, 05:52:46 pm
I fully expect Shaddy to be at second base by the end of the year according to what I hear...

So, going off what you are hearing, what is your projected starting lineup?

PorkRyan

Hearing the same thing on Shaddy at 2B.  I expect to see Gates at SS and Wilson at 3rd.  Stephan continues to be the guy everyone is talking about on the mound.  If he gets control of his stuff he could be a huge difference maker for this team.

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 08, 2017, 01:35:05 pm

4.  Spanberger - 1B
7.  Fletcher - CF
8.  McFarland / Lee - DH

A few comments:

1. I'd be surprised if Eric Cole didn't beat out one of the three listed above.  While I like Cole, I do hope I am wrong in as much that Spanberger's upside is huge and it would be nice to have two stud freshmen. 

2.  I agreed that Knight and Campbell had the raw tools, but thought that how far they had to go from 2016 performance to being a quality 1-2 punch of an SEC rotation was much farther than people were admitting.  I still think that is the case, but the reports do seem positive that they've actually taken a big leap.  How it works will be played out but here is hoping I was wrong in betting against both of them doing it. 

3.  This team, regardless of Knight and Campbell, will be so much better if McKinney is anywhere close to what his potential is this year.  Its not very often you have one player with proven (as opposed to just raw stuff) all SEC potential and also non SEC starter potential.  It seems the range of outcomes with him is as big as we've seen in a while.  I hope, especially for his own sake, that he has a breakout year this year and really bumps up his draft stock / the team. 

Pig Papi

Catching depth scares me.  We need Koch to be an ironman.  Gosser can give some innings but after that it wouldn't surprise me to see Shaddy get some innings behind the plate in emergency situations.

Amityvillehogger

I hear Lee has turned heads on the bump and at the dish.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

PigWig

Quote from: dotnet on January 09, 2017, 08:35:35 am
A few comments:

1. I'd be surprised if Eric Cole didn't beat out one of the three listed above.  While I like Cole, I do hope I am wrong in as much that Spanberger's upside is huge and it would be nice to have two stud freshmen. 

2.  I agreed that Knight and Campbell had the raw tools, but thought that how far they had to go from 2016 performance to being a quality 1-2 punch of an SEC rotation was much farther than people were admitting.  I still think that is the case, but the reports do seem positive that they've actually taken a big leap.  How it works will be played out but here is hoping I was wrong in betting against both of them doing it. 

3.  This team, regardless of Knight and Campbell, will be so much better if McKinney is anywhere close to what his potential is this year.  Its not very often you have one player with proven (as opposed to just raw stuff) all SEC potential and also non SEC starter potential.  It seems the range of outcomes with him is as big as we've seen in a while.  I hope, especially for his own sake, that he has a breakout year this year and really bumps up his draft stock / the team. 
I agree on points 1 and 3, but I think you are discounting very solid freshman seasons from Knight and Campbell.  Just for the sake of comparison, lets look at their freshman stats along with those of some previous Arkansas studs:

Knight:  2-1, 2.98 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, ~9 K/9
Campbell:  3-1, 3.69 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, ~ 7 K/9

As Freshman
Oliver:  1-0, 3.86 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, ~ 8 K/9
Stanek:  4-2, 3.94 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, ~ 6 K/9
Baxendale:  0-2, 3.58 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, ~ 7 K/9
Smyly:  3-1, 4.66 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, ~ 9 K/9
Keuchel:  6-3, 5.88 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, ~ 9 K/9

So when you look at our former aces, all who were drafted, some who have pitched in the MLB including a Cy Young winner, Knight and Campbell had very good freshman campaigns in comparison.  I think we are looking at the next two Arkansas greats on the mound, and these two should only continue to improve over the next two seasons barring injuries.

MAL3

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2017, 02:42:48 pm
Unless their replacements are much better.......
What happened to Wiggins and Harris? Anybody know?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: PigWig on January 09, 2017, 11:01:36 am
I agree on points 1 and 3, but I think you are discounting very solid freshman seasons from Knight and Campbell.  Just for the sake of comparison, lets look at their freshman stats along with those of some previous Arkansas studs:

Knight:  2-1, 2.98 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, ~9 K/9
Campbell:  3-1, 3.69 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, ~ 7 K/9

As Freshman
Oliver:  1-0, 3.86 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, ~ 8 K/9
Stanek:  4-2, 3.94 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, ~ 6 K/9
Baxendale:  0-2, 3.58 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, ~ 7 K/9
Smyly:  3-1, 4.66 ERA, 1.41 WHIP, ~ 9 K/9
Keuchel:  6-3, 5.88 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, ~ 9 K/9

So when you look at our former aces, all who were drafted, some who have pitched in the MLB including a Cy Young winner, Knight and Campbell had very good freshman campaigns in comparison.  I think we are looking at the next two Arkansas greats on the mound, and these two should only continue to improve over the next two seasons barring injuries.
It's hard to compare Smyly and Keuchel to the guys now because of the bats.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Knot2brite

Quote from: Scott7703 on January 08, 2017, 10:21:04 pm

So, going off what you are hearing, what is your projected starting lineup?
I don't know about the rest I just asked about that particular thing

Hawgphish

Two things:  Evan Lee is a winner.  Don't be surprised to see a lot of him as a freshman.  Also, I have heard that Knight has added some velocity to his fastball as in the upper 90s.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: MAL3 on January 09, 2017, 05:54:03 pm
If I remember correctly about Wiggins, his defense never did reach the point of being able to play for DVH. It wasn't talked about much, but I think I remember DVH making one short comment during an interview about Wiggins and some others that they were not improving on defense as quickly as expected.

Knot2brite

I thought Wiggins got hurt

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: MAL3 on January 09, 2017, 05:54:03 pm

Harris is at Crowder I believe.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Knot2brite

When is the biography and pictures going on the new roster...I guess I am different but I like reading about these kids and knowing what they look like...

BigBrandonAllenFan

The Hogs are thin on overall experience.  It looks like five fielders are returnees with experience that are either juniors or seniors.  If you count soph Eric Cole, you can say six have experience, but behind that it is pretty much all freshmen and raw sophs. If Van Horn can get a couple of the juniors that haven't had much playing time to step up, that will be a biggie.

With senior Tac, the pitching staff at least has a guy in the leadership role.  Blaine Knight has potential to be one of the leagues best.  I'm not aware of what kind of weight and muscle Knight has put on the off season, but he definitely needs to come with more power this season.  McKinney is solid enough to get the job done on a regular basis, and Alberius should be able to hold his own.  The bullpen is where the question marks lay, and as we know, in the SEC, games are very often won and lost in the final couple of innings.

I don't look for any miracle turn arounds from last season.  Just hoping the 2017 Hogs can play well enough in league play to make the post season.

Sooie Pigs!!

PorkRyan

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 13, 2017, 07:40:33 pm
The Hogs are thin on overall experience.  It looks like five fielders are returnees with experience that are either juniors or seniors.  If you count soph Eric Cole, you can say six have experience, but behind that it is pretty much all freshmen and raw sophs. If Van Horn can get a couple of the juniors that haven't had much playing time to step up, that will be a biggie.

With senior Tac, the pitching staff at least has a guy in the leadership role.  Blaine Knight has potential to be one of the leagues best.  I'm not aware of what kind of weight and muscle Knight has put on the off season, but he definitely needs to come with more power this season.  McKinney is solid enough to get the job done on a regular basis, and Alberius should be able to hold his own.  The bullpen is where the question marks lay, and as we know, in the SEC, games are very often won and lost in the final couple of innings.

I don't look for any miracle turn arounds from last season.  Just hoping the 2017 Hogs can play well enough in league play to make the post season.

Sooie Pigs!!

Starting pitchers are probably going to be Knight, Campbell, and Stephan.  Stephan is the wild card.  He has only been pitching for two years, but he was working 95-97 in the Fall and supposedly has touched 100.  He could end up as the Friday guy if he has enough control.  He could also figure into the closer role.  That gives you McKinney, Taco, Alberius, and Loeseke as guys with experience.  Then you have Evan Lee, Dylan Thompson, Angus Denton and Matt Cronin as newcomers that can help.  That is a pretty solid staff compared to last year. 

At the plate I keep hearing the name Grant Koch so expect a big year from him.  Add him with Shaddy and Bonfield and you have three experienced guys who can hit.  If we can ever get Spanberger to reach his potential that would be huge.

BigBrandonAllenFan

January 13, 2017, 08:48:06 pm #31 Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:08:12 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan

1.  Arledge - RF
2.  Shaddy - 3B
3.  Bonfield - LF
4.  Spanberger - 1B
5.  Koch - C
6.  Gates - 2B
7.  Fletcher - CF
8.  McFarland / Lee - DH
9.  Biggers - SS

Pretty sure you have to put Eric Cole in there as the starter in right field and move Arledge to center field..  Bonfield in left.

My bet says Van Horn comes back with Cole as batter up #1, just the same as he began last season with Cole.  He was recruited as a lead off man exclusive.  In year two with Eric, you gotta stick to that original plan if you are the coach.  Cole started on a tear last season and showed his potential, but come SEC play, Eric got that familiar "I am a starting freshman now suddenly playing on the road in the SEC and batting first in the game" reality check.  If I'm coach, I'm counting that Eric will much more be prepared to assume that same role the second time around.  I honestly can't assess where Van Horn would have any other plan.  Then again, I may be all wrong about all that.

And it is sounding as Shaddy will probably wind up at 2nd base.  He is the better double play man and has the experience that Gate's lacks. 

I think where Eric Cole goes our team will go.  If he plays to his offensive potential all season long, the Razorbacks will be back in the NCAA tournament.  In my assessment, Eric Cole is the catalyst... Or catapultierre if one prefers to speak French.  8) I usually don't.

Scott7703

Fletcher will play. It was said during the fall he was the best fielding outfielder on the team. He will play center field. Cole may play right.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: PorkRyan on January 13, 2017, 08:05:52 pm
Starting pitchers are probably going to be Knight, Campbell, and Stephan.  Stephan is the wild card.  He has only been pitching for two years, but he was working 95-97 in the Fall and supposedly has touched 100.  He could end up as the Friday guy if he has enough control.  He could also figure into the closer role.  That gives you McKinney, Taco, Alberius, and Loeseke as guys with experience.  Then you have Evan Lee, Dylan Thompson, Angus Denton and Matt Cronin as newcomers that can help.  That is a pretty solid staff compared to last year. 

At the plate I keep hearing the name Grant Koch so expect a big year from him.  Add him with Shaddy and Bonfield and you have three experienced guys who can hit.  If we can ever get Spanberger to reach his potential that would be huge.

PorkRyan, I like your assessment of the pitching staff.  I'm feeling better already.  Won't we love to see Campbell and Stephan both step up.  That gives us instant depth in the pen.  Gotta have depth in the pen in SEC play.  If one of the two steps up and the other doesn't, then I would think Tac with his experience has to assume a starting role in SEC play, which simultaneously drains the depth pool in a big way.

And I've heard the same on Koch's bat.  Doesn't Van Horn need that in a big way.  I hope the preseason talk on Koch comes to play. 

bulldog04

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 13, 2017, 08:48:06 pm
Pretty sure you have to put Eric Cole in there as the starter in right field and move Arledge to center field..  Bonfield in left.

My bet says Van Horn comes back with Cole as batter up #1, just the same as he began last season with Cole.  He was recruited as a lead off man exclusive.  In year two with Eric, you gotta stick to that original plan if you are the coach.  Cole started on a tear last season and showed his potential, but come SEC play, Eric got that familiar "I am a starting freshman now suddenly playing on the road in the SEC and batting first in the game" reality check.  If I'm coach, I'm counting that Eric will much more be prepared to assume that same role the second time around.  I honestly can't assess where Van Horn would have any other plan.  Then again, I may be all wrong about all that.

And it is sounding as Shaddy will probably wind up at 2nd base.  He is the better double play man and has the experience that Gate's lacks. 

I think where Eric Cole goes our team will go.  If he plays to his offensive potential all season long, the Razorbacks will be back in the NCAA tournament.  In my assessment, Eric Cole is the catalyst... Or catapultierre if one prefers to speak French.  8) I usually don't.
Cole may DH in order to keep the best defensive OF out there.  Gates could also DH or play 1st.  He batted 462 in the FWS and 400 and 434 in his two years in JUCO.  So his ability to hit is there.

Scott7703

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 14, 2017, 07:13:52 am
Cole may DH in order to keep the best defensive OF out there.  Gates could also DH or play 1st.  He batted 462 in the FWS and 400 and 434 in his two years in JUCO.  So his ability to hit is there.

I'm guessing we see Gates somewhere on the infield along with shaddy, biggers/Wilson, and spanberger

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 11, 2017, 03:08:30 pm
I thought Wiggins got hurt
I believe he did get banged up a little early on, but not a season ending injury.

ricepig

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 14, 2017, 05:19:24 pm
I believe he did get banged up a little early on, but not a season ending injury.

Wrist injury that required surgery.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ricepig

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on January 14, 2017, 07:50:08 pm
Was that preseason?

Back in Oct, he was expected to miss 3-4 months.

Anthony McReynolds

Austin Catron will not be playing for diamondhogs this year

ricepig

Quote from: Anthony McReynolds on January 15, 2017, 03:17:18 pm
Austin Catron will not be playing for diamondhogs this year

Yeah, pretty hard when you're not on the roster.

Anthony McReynolds

Just letting you know what I was told

ricepig

Quote from: Anthony McReynolds on January 15, 2017, 03:35:47 pm
Just letting you know what I was told

No problem, since he wasn't on the roster released after semester, it was plain to see that he/we had moved on.

Knot2brite

I wonder what happened there with catron...he always seemed to be on the cusp of breaking loose

Anthony McReynolds

Think It just came down to better players on the team

Kevin

Better players and he had no position to play
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: PorkRyan on January 13, 2017, 08:05:52 pm

I don't know how you keep a 100% McKinney out of the starting rotation if in fact he is healthy. He was one of the best pitchers in his class and can be devastating with his change up.

BigBrandonAllenFan

1.  Arledge - RF
2.  Shaddy - 3B
3.  Bonfield - LF
4.  Spanberger - 1B
5.  Koch - C
6.  Gates - 2B
7.  Fletcher - CF
8.  McFarland / Lee - DH
9.  Biggers - SS

Friday - Blaine Knight
Saturday - Isaiah Campbell
Sunday - Keaton McKinney / Trevor Stephan
Relief Aces - Dominic Taccolini / Barrett Loseke
Other Options - Evan Lee / Cannon Chadwick / Brenden Heiss / Josh Alberius

There is a lot of depth on the team this year.  Hopefully we are much better and back where we belong in June.

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on January 13, 2017, 08:48:06 pm

Quote from: bulldog04 on January 14, 2017, 07:13:52 am

Cole up #1 as DH was good as gold first game out.  Good call by bulldog04. 

Cole was that offensive spark he has to be.  Just hope he carries it into conference play this season.  I think he will.  Van Horn has to be pleased with Cole's performance today.