Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on February 10, 2014, 03:13:38 pm
Looks like the upper deck got smaller to accommodate suites. I wonder if capacity will go down similar to what Tennessee did a few years back.
When the designs came out I think they said it would go down to about 17k
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

sooiepig_12

I hate Calipari, but man does that video not fire you up.  The kids from the holler playing in the freezing cold and snow.

Smithian

Kentucky is competing on a whole different level than Arkansas. It's depressing.

BigBlueHell

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on February 10, 2014, 03:52:41 pm
The thing that differs Rupp from any other Home court Arena in the SEC (not counting WMS ::)) is the fact that Rupp isn't owned by The University of Kentucky, it's owned by the city of Lexington.

And we the people of Lexington will be footing the bill.  I'm not a happy camper. 
My 2 favorite teams...my Arkansas Razorbacks and whoever is playing Kentucky.

Beaverfever

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on February 10, 2014, 04:37:06 pm
When the designs came out I think they said it would go down to about 17k
BWA could use a facelift more than higher capacity.  It's become kind of dim and dated. The suites are plain, the jumbotron/scoreboards are boring and uninformative, the lighting itself is poor.  The concourse and concessions are dull.  It's probably dreaming but a bunch of nice TV's with a couple swanky bars would be sweet when and if that is allowed.  The Fedex Forum is kind of what I'm imagining if you've been there.  I still have no idea why you don't get to watch a decent replay of the last play at the game.  Then they wonder why attendance is down.  At home I can watch the last play over and over again in high def if I like.  And for God's sake what does it take to get some decent college basketball updates.  All of that is putting the cart before the horse obviously.  We need to start winning first. 

Birminghog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 10, 2014, 03:02:19 pm
Well, we certainly wont have the "Basketball Palace of Mid America" once thats finished...

Hot damn

Lexington isn't in Mid America. It will no doubt be very nice and attractive to recruits, but typically when these grandiose re-workings occur, the result is a place that is less imposing to visiting teams - more fans further from the court, etc. Hopefully, it will be paid for by investors, & bigbluehell & his friends won't be stuck with the bill.

HamIAm

I'm sure it will be a nice arena. But two things about it that I am not a fan of:
1) the home court shoudn't be a multipurpose arena - the video showed rodeo and I think a monster truck rally or something similar.  Arenas with that type of space have the seats too far back from the court.  Your home basketball court should be a basketball arena.

2)The home court should be on-campus.  The video concept with all of the students filing in and waving flags was nice, but students shouldn't have to go across town to reach the game.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 11, 2014, 03:10:42 am
BWA could use a facelift more than higher capacity.  It's become kind of dim and dated. The suites are plain, the jumbotron/scoreboards are boring and uninformative, the lighting itself is poor.  The concourse and concessions are dull.  It's probably dreaming but a bunch of nice TV's with a couple swanky bars would be sweet when and if that is allowed.  The Fedex Forum is kind of what I'm imagining if you've been there.  I still have no idea why you don't get to watch a decent replay of the last play at the game.  Then they wonder why attendance is down.  At home I can watch the last play over and over again in high def if I like.  And for God's sake what does it take to get some decent college basketball updates.  All of that is putting the cart before the horse obviously.  We need to start winning first.

Totally agree.  BWA is 20 years old and is in desperate need of a refresh, both interior and exterior.

It's no longer the Basketball "Palace" of Mid-America.  It's simply the Basketball Court of Mid America.  BWA no longer WOWs.

HamIAm

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on February 11, 2014, 09:53:15 am

Totally agree.  BWA is 20 years old and is in desperate need of a refresh, both interior and exterior.

It's no longer the Basketball "Palace" of Mid-America.  It's simply the Basketball Court of Mid America.  BWA no longer WOWs.

I'm sure BWA needs some repairs and upgrades, but it no longer wows because we've had AD's, coaches, and teams that have killed all enthusiasm for the game.

Want to have season tickets?  Fork over money for a non-conference slate of the worst Division 1 teams money can buy. 

Want a road tested team ready for conference action?  Right after we maximize home revenues.  Money before basketball you know.

Want a conference road win? Go find Auburn and hope you're lucky.

Want the pep band to keep the crowd excitement up during time out? Well sure, just as soon as we squeeze in some more commercials.

Bud Walton could still have an atmosphere that few can match if the athletic department would start trying to maximize the product on the floor instead of the cash in the drawer.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: sooiepig_12 on February 10, 2014, 11:28:05 pm
I hate Calipari, but man does that video not fire you up.  The kids from the holler playing in the freezing cold and snow.

Not really. A bunch of very bad cgi showinga revamped concourse. Wgaf. AAt the end of the day the product is on the floor.

razorhead94

Quote from: HamIAm on February 11, 2014, 10:11:58 am
I'm sure BWA needs some repairs and upgrades, but it no longer wows because we've had AD's, coaches, and teams that have killed all enthusiasm for the game.

Want to have season tickets?  Fork over money for a non-conference slate of the worst Division 1 teams money can buy. 

Want a road tested team ready for conference action?  Right after we maximize home revenues.  Money before basketball you know.

Want the pep band to keep the crowd excitement up during time out? Well sure, just as soon as we squeeze in some more commercials.

Bud Walton could still have an atmosphere that few can match if the athletic department would start trying to maximize the product on the floor instead of the cash in the drawer.

+100
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

The_Iceman

They have done a good job remodeling the concourse at BWA. All of the light up boards have been updated and they have flat screens above the concession stands.

As I've stated in other threads, the next project needs to be cleaning up the rafters. We need to make it where when people look up into the rafters, they understand the history of Arkansas basketball in less than 15 seconds. Imagine looking up and seeing 6 Final Four banners in a row, then retired jerseys, then the National Championship banner, then a banner listing all our conference championships.

razorcash2

Quote from: Breems on February 10, 2014, 02:44:57 pm
Monk will be the first player to score 45+ in their new gym. He don't give a darn about $90 pretzels and fake cheese.
...and wine.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Breems on February 10, 2014, 02:44:57 pm
Monk will be the first player to score 45+ in their new gym. He don't give a darn about $90 pretzels and fake cheese.

But he might be lured by the Locker Room...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u89SizWxCo

Or the Wildcat Coal Lodge
Or The Indoor Practice Facility
Or the 8 NCAA Banners
Or all the Media attention you get a UK

In all honesty, if you are competing with Kentucky you just have to hope the kid grew up dreaming about being a HOG!

SEC!

Boston RedHogs

I'm not talking about the atmosphere.  I'm talking about the bricks and mortar only.  And yes, BWA no longer WOWs in that department.

azhog10

Want a conference road win? Go find Auburn or Vandy and hope you're lucky.

FIFY

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: sooiepig_12 on February 10, 2014, 11:28:05 pm

Hate is a nasty word.

The Boar War

Quote from: HamIAm on February 11, 2014, 09:45:51 am

2)The home court should be on-campus.  The video concept with all of the students filing in and waving flags was nice, but students shouldn't have to go across town to reach the game.

Most of them probably don't live on campus.  Regardless Rupp's only about a mile off campus.

Hoggycronopolis

Good night of livin'... That's hot. I HATEEE Kentucky (as Arkansas fans should. Especially if the natural order of things were restored)
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they SMITE you, and then you win"  
-Ghandi

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
-George Carlin

MikePiazza

Arkansas won the first two times it played UK in there and hasn't won since.

How glorious it would be to go in there on the 27th and win.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Atlhogfan1

What some of us remember as our home game atmosphere is dead.  IMO, when they do the remodel they should fix one of the mistakes made when the arena was built- give the students their place back courtside from baseline to baseline at least in the pull out section.  Get them back courtside as we once were.  What Robken built, what was built in Barnhill and somewhat taken to BWA has been lost.  And if they are going to go more corporate with more premium seating, do so while also bringing the students back to the court. 

Lowering capacity is probably a good idea.  Create more of a sense of urgency to buy tickets and to keep season tickets. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: HamIAm on February 11, 2014, 09:45:51 am
I'm sure it will be a nice arena. But two things about it that I am not a fan of:
1) the home court shoudn't be a multipurpose arena - the video showed rodeo and I think a monster truck rally or something similar.  Arenas with that type of space have the seats too far back from the court.  Your home basketball court should be a basketball arena.

First ¶:  They already have all that stuff @ the current Rupp

2nd ¶: Rupp is very close to campus, as it is.  At KY it's about the fans and not so much the students, tho there is good attendance by students, as it is and a huge student waiting list that will never be fully accommodated.

azhog10

Quote from: MikePiazza on February 11, 2014, 04:12:35 pm
Arkansas won the first two times it played UK in there and hasn't won since.

How glorious it would be to go in there on the 27th and win.
Couldn't come at a better time!

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 11, 2014, 04:22:13 pm
What some of us remember as our home game atmosphere is dead.  IMO, when they do the remodel they should fix one of the mistakes made when the arena was built- give the students their place back courtside from baseline to baseline at least in the pull out section.  Get them back courtside as we once were.  What Robken built, what was built in Barnhill and somewhat taken to BWA has been lost.  And if they are going to go more corporate with more premium seating, do so while also bringing the students back to the court. 

Lowering capacity is probably a good idea.  Create more of a sense of urgency to buy tickets and to keep season tickets.

^^^Precisely this.  The students on The Hill now are being somewhat robbed of the experience given how BWA has been commercialized.  Part of what made Barnhill special (beyond the teams) was the organization of the students.  Going to a basketball game back then was a production and I know many students now feel that it still is, which is cute, but it's not even close.  (Insert team success argument right here by any UofA student from 1997-present)

Prime real estate should go to the students first.  They are the loudest, most rabid faction of any fanbase and we should put them as close to the court as possible.  This is a MUST.  It should have never been taken away in the first place.  I think they made a big first step by getting rid of press row and allocating some prime/behind the backboard seats back to the students but there needs to be more.

Secondly, more organization from the student section is in desperate need.  They do a good job.  Not a great one.  There are a lot of smart and creative kids on The Hill.  Between the student body and Booster Club, there needs to be an emphasis put on organization throughout the game.....not just during the announcement of the starters (The "Who's She" chants are nice and nostalgic, but lack creativity as they've been in use for YEARS) or when a player fouls out (left, right, left, right.....again cute, but many other teams do it and not very much creativity).

The Booster Club President should appoint someone whose sole focus is delivering the Razorback Basketball Gameday Experience.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on February 10, 2014, 03:52:41 pm
The thing that differs Rupp from any other Home court Arena in the SEC (not counting WMS ::)) is the fact that Rupp isn't owned by The University of Kentucky, it's owned by the city of Lexington.

Thank you. Excellent point.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PORKULATOR

It's still gonna be named after a racially intolerant guy named Adolph. Thats some serious turd polishing.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 11, 2014, 08:40:32 pm
It's still gonna be named after a racially intolerant guy named Adolph. Thats some serious turd polishing.

And most of our founding fathers had slaves. Should we "hate" them because of their "intolerance?"

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2014, 03:07:23 pm
Just so people know, Arkansas has a long-term plan to do something similar:

So that is what all the income from the ribbon board and increased ticket prices has been going toward. Makes sense now, and well worth it.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2014, 03:34:26 pm
The plans to remodel BWA call for the area in the lower sections behind the goals to be turned into suits. However, that may change and they may end up doing something like Tennessee where they remodel the upper deck, that is rarely used.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

How'd they afford this without a ribbon board?
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

The_Iceman

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on February 11, 2014, 09:25:46 pm
So that is what all the income from the ribbon board and increased ticket prices has been going toward. Makes sense now, and well worth it.

The expansion of the concourse is needed more for events other than basketball,  like the Walmart shareholders meeting and concerts. One thought put out there was that after the practice facility gets built, it will open up BWA for other events to bring in revenue.

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on February 11, 2014, 09:27:41 pm
How'd they afford this without a ribbon board?

When you add all those luxury boxes, you dont need ribbon boards.

RAZ FAN

Yes it is nice to have a beautiful updated arena, but that's not what draws players or helps get wins as much as the atmosphere and fans do. A great practice facility may help bring players but not the arena you play in 12-15 times a yr at KY. I Have been to Rupp on many occasions and it is a dump compared to BWA as it is today. From concessions, bathrooms, hallways, seating etc.

Foshodo

woah... you mean buildings can be designed with some imagination? who knew after all these boxes that have been planned to be built for the hogs... architecture anyone?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2014, 09:54:37 pm
The expansion of the concourse is needed more for events other than basketball,  like the Walmart shareholders meeting and concerts. One thought put out there was that after the practice facility gets built, it will open up BWA for other events to bring in revenue.

When you add all those luxury boxes, you dont need ribbon boards.

Concerts?

The_Iceman

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 12, 2014, 07:04:40 am
Concerts?

With BWA not required so much for practice, the hope is to open it up for big attractions like concerts to help bring extra money into the athletic program.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 11, 2014, 09:54:37 pm
We agree major renovations needs at Bud Walton. It's a good facility, but we're shooting for better than "good" at Arkansas.

My question is some of those renovations like labor intensive. I think the seating work can be finished pretty quickly, but if they're remaking half the concourse I'm not sure how they'll be able to host games there and there is no local arena where games could be held in the interim. Do you think I am overestimating how major the concourse work is?

And before someone pops in and talks about Barnhill, a better scenario would be playing the first several games in Verizon Arena while offseason work is finished. Barnhill would need work before they could even use it for basketball.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Smithian on February 12, 2014, 07:43:27 am
We agree major renovations needs at Bud Walton. It's a good facility, but we're shooting for better than "good" at Arkansas.

My question is some of those renovations like labor intensive. I think the seating work can be finished pretty quickly, but if they're remaking half the concourse I'm not sure how they'll be able to host games there and there is no local arena where games could be held in the interim. Do you think I am overestimating how major the concourse work is?

And before someone pops in and talks about Barnhill, a better scenario would be playing the first several games in Verizon Arena while offseason work is finished. Barnhill would need work before they could even use it for basketball.

most of the concourse construction can take place on the outside of BWA. Then when you're ready for completion you can blow through the walls and finish it up pretty quickly. I think you could time it where the most intensive construction can take place between March and October. like do the foundation work from November to March and then the rest between March and October which will put you ready for the next season.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2014, 07:08:28 am
With BWA not required so much for practice, the hope is to open it up for big attractions like concerts to help bring extra money into the athletic program.

When BWA was built, there was talk of it being a concert venue as well.
Hopefully the practice facility will open the door for such events.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

C-L Sports ‏@CLSports ·39 mins
New MSU blog post: Mississippi State placing final touches on Dudy Noble Field for Friday's opener http://on.thec-l.com/1kERQZQ  #hailstate

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS  5h
Texas A&M will not have a spring game this year or next due to the construction of Kyle Field.

Feb. 6, 2014 http://kylefield.com/photogalleries

jbcarol

jbcarol

Drone gives view of construction of Houston's new stadium.

Skyhawk Videos

jbcarol

Halliburton: artistic rendering of the main scoreboard at Kyle Field

Not only will the refurbished Kyle Field be the largest in the state [aka nation], officials said it also will feature the largest scoreboard...

QuoteTejas has the current largest collegiate scoreboard in our nation, a square footage total of 7,370. A&M's scoreboard has a square footage of 7,661.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports  2h
Experience the party (and beer funnels) in Alabama's new outfield seats (video) http://ow.ly/tTnZt

jbcarol

$14.5 million approved to upgrade area around Williams-Brice

USC trustees approved a $14.5 million makeover on Friday to swap the asphalt parking lots around the stadium with tree-lined brick walkways.

The pedestrian-friendly plaza should reduce the amount of crowding around the 80,250-seat stadium for fans who weaved through cars and television trucks and shuffled along some narrow pathways, school officials said.

Quote"It sort of gives you the feel of an industrial area (now) and when we're finished, you're going to feel like you're in a garden or a theme park," USC athletics director Ray Tanner said.

Work is scheduled to begin after the end of next football season and open in time for kickoff in 2015, school architect Derek Gruner told trustees.

The Gamecocks have shelled out more than $50 million around the stadium and on football facilities in recent years as the program has improved under head coach Steve Spurrier. The team went a Southeastern Conference championship game and collected three straight 11-win seasons.

USC spent $30 million to transform the former State Farmers Market on Bluff Road across from the stadium into a 3,000-space tailgating lot called Gamecock Park. Donors contributed to pay for a new $6 million video scoreboard in the stadium. The school is building $17 million in new indoor and outdoor football practice facilities at the back of Gamecock Park.

The projects were paid mainly with bonds backed by revenue from ticket sales and broadcast fees as well as donations.

"High quality has a price," USC trustee Chuck Allen, a former Gamecock football player, said.

A statue of George Rogers has been mentioned.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL ·1 hr
New Ole Miss blog post: What's important about stadium news http://on.thec-l.com/1jtKrd9  #olemiss

Move to more premium seating v. more seating in total

OXFORD — If you missed it, the College Board approved Ole Miss' plans to pay AECOM Technology Corp. $2.4 million to design the Vaught-Hemingway Stadium expansion.

The group also designed the new basketball arena, and is probably best known in the sports world as having been behind Seattle's CenturyLink Field (home of the Seahawks).

But a few paragraphs into this AP story comes the news that is important about the north endzone expansion:

Campbell said the university has already sold 30 new suites, and might build even more. He said the school doesn't know how many seats it will add to the stadium or how much the project will cost.

The emphasis in sports venues is on premium seating. Did you notice those endzone corner plaza areas at Vaught-Hemingway this year? You're not buying that seat to have a great view of the game: you're looking through and around 150 football players, coaches, trainers and cheerleaders for most of the field. You buy that area to say you were right there when Laquon Treadwell caught that touchdown to beat Team X.

It's the same with suites. Ole Miss seems to be much less focused on the total number of seats in the stadium, and making the ones they do add valuable (and, therefore, easy to sell). As the HDTV experience continues to grow and makes not coming to Oxford that much easier, Ole Miss and its peers have to do something. Schools like Ole Miss have just decided that answer is premium seating, instead of adding 10,000 extra seats that look good on paper but are difficult to sell.