Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Obscure Fact for Those Who Love HOG Gear on Cars

Started by razoredge178, December 14, 2017, 01:59:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3of5-2

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 14, 2017, 09:19:13 pm

Well, I for one would pay more than double for a Coke vrs a Pepsi.

But that's because I won't buy a Pepsi at all.  Nasty crap.
I would love to be able to buy a Sprite instead of that Sierra Mist concoction.

David†

FiveIronFrenzy

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 14, 2017, 09:10:28 pm
There are standards for gauging a brand's strength and value, one of which is called a net promoter score. This shows favorability toward a brand.  The NPS can be elevated naturally by getting a hold on some of the things i mentioned above.  So in essence...it may not make "fans" but it does change perception.

While I disagree with the "only right" facing Hog, especially since we violate that rule in the most visible place (left side of helmet), I do understand why it's being done.

Check out 1:45 in this video.  This was what they have been trying to clean up.

https://youtu.be/OHizsXJis2w

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 14, 2017, 09:33:31 pm

Notice how the whole look has changed over time. Fonts, the hog itself, color, etc. YET they claim they are cleaning up or standardizing. Bull. The claim is invalid and a lie since they have more than one Hog logo. Therefore having a Hog face different directions yet otherwise is exactly the same is actually MORE standardized than having a profile and a front facing because they look nothing alike.  It's not brand awareness it's stupid people.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

FiveIronFrenzy

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 09:18:01 pm
just seems like short sighted thinking.  it substitutes practical functionality for strict adherence to text book rules of thumb.

IOW, its lazy thinking

It works though.  We've seen overwhelming increases in awareness and favorability of our brand when we stick to these rules. 

SugarHillGaHog

I get two emails a day telling me it's the LAST day for 20% off on Razorback stuff.  And the next day it's wipe hands on pants and repeat for the LAST day of 20% off.  I'm not sure how many stickers and shirts they think I need.  I guess I should unsubscribe soon but shift-delete is easy.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 14, 2017, 09:41:33 pm
It works though.  We've seen overwhelming increases in awareness and favorability of our brand when we stick to these rules. 

Bull. Hogs facing the front of a car on opposite sides of the car is no different than having them facing the front of the helmet from opposite sides. Some people need to go get real jobs. Marketers can do some really stupid stuff sometimes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoggyCat

Quote from: elksnort on December 14, 2017, 05:37:42 pm
How many of these dumb ***** have ever bothered to look up the meaning of carpet bagger?

car·pet·bag·ger
ˈkärpətˌbaɡər
noun-derogatory
a political candidate who seeks election in an area where they have no local connections.
historical

(in the US) a person from the northern states who went to the South after the Civil War to profit from the Reconstruction.

a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist.

The bolded portion is exactly what Jeffi is.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Razorbackers

IUHog

So the left facing stickers on the Hogs Helmets are not licensed?

FiveIronFrenzy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 14, 2017, 09:45:00 pm
Bull. Hogs facing the front of a car on opposite sides of the car is no different than having them facing the front of the helmet from opposite sides. Some people need to go get real jobs. Marketers can do some really stupid stuff sometimes.

You clearly didn't read my previous post on this.  I agree that the car hog is no different than the helmet hog. 

What you don't realize is that you are a pawn to marketing and branding every day.  What you eat, what you buy, what you wear.  These "real jobs" have you on puppet strings.  Oh, and my education is Masters level from the UofA.  This stupid stuff is what your alma mater is cranking out too.

rljjr

Unfortunately they made iconic jerseys look stale and corporate. It has been, and still is, a complete failure of design. The font is terrible across every sport. That's the problem. When you have one look — and you get it wrong — everyone suffers.

elksnort

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 14, 2017, 09:53:14 pm
car·pet·bag·ger
ˈkärpətˌbaɡər
noun-derogatory
a political candidate who seeks election in an area where they have no local connections.
historical

(in the US) a person from the northern states who went to the South after the Civil War to profit from the Reconstruction.

a person perceived as an unscrupulous opportunist.

The bolded portion is exactly what Jeffi is.
Good for you. You did some home work. Although one part of the definition I remember seeing was that "carpet bagger" was also an uneducated person in addition to what you described.

Anyway, thanks.

HogPharmer

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 14, 2017, 09:19:13 pm

Well, I for one would pay more than double for a Coke vrs a Pepsi.

But that's because I won't buy a Pepsi at all.  Nasty crap.

What is more than double of zero?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

soonerhawg

I would like to call a little bit of BS on this.  I've worked for almost 30 years in advertising, from agencies to being head of creative services/branding at a Fortune 500, so I share your passion, awareness and expertise of branding and strategy. The majority of this was done strictly to benefit two companies - nIKE and IMG and ultimately results in benefit to the UA. My name is in the sidewalk, as well as two of my kids, so I share your passion for the UA. However, there is some opportunity for variety with the logos and usage within the University.

Traditional baseball jersey lettering could absolutely be part of a branding catalog. Every company I have ever worked for or with, have used brand subsets or product lines with variations or branding options. In some cases, there are entirely different brands/logos for these product lines. We've already made concessions such as the use of the helmet logo or colors, case in point - how in the H@#Q$ can we ever wear all gray uniforms? This was only added as a secondary/tertiary color in the brand guidelines, because a clothing company benefits from it. Has nothing to do with the branding of our school colors or the other 900 members of the NCAA who all have this color in their pallet.

I'm not trying be a jerk about it, but nIKE putting together that video was to strengthen their brand not ours.

ricepig

Mick Hogger

Just go to the Hogpen on University in Little Rock. He custom made some of these same magnets to fit my car doors a few years ago and then I bought the other standard ones in different sizes so I have 4 different sizes running down my car. He can hook you up if you can't find them.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

razoredge178

Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 14, 2017, 06:41:46 pm

Bingo.  I work as a Brand Strategist.  Consistency of font, color, logo, style and tone are all done to help elevate the brand.  Same reason why you don't see slobbering Hog on the court anymore.

I too work as a brand manager and we're continuously diversifying our brand's look. Look no further than your social media platforms to see brands using different schematics across different channels.

A brand can be consistent while also being fresh and versatile depending on the audience.

Inhogswetrust

December 15, 2017, 12:55:13 pm #118 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:10:59 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: FiveIronFrenzy on December 15, 2017, 09:11:02 am
You clearly didn't read my previous post on this.  I agree that the car hog is no different than the helmet hog. 

What you don't realize is that you are a pawn to marketing and branding every day.  What you eat, what you buy, what you wear.  These "real jobs" have you on puppet strings.  Oh, and my education is Masters level from the UofA.  This stupid stuff is what your alma mater is cranking out too.

I'm not a pawn. I do NOT buy based solely on what brand. IF anything I do NOT buy a brand that has proven to me to be poor quality. Therefore I'm the opposite of Brand loyal and a pawn. A Masters you say. Big freaking deal. My son has a Masters in Electrical Engineering from MIT. Believe me I met folks from there that are plenty stupid. My son can be sometimes as well. We all can. My Dad was as smart a person as I've ever met and he had nothing more than a high school education.

Phil D

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 14, 2017, 01:59:32 pm
Those of us that like to cover our cars in flags and magnets may find this interesting..

Have you noticed you can't buy the HOG magnets that face both left and right, or the flags that have HOGs that face left and right (so that when you're driving down the road your HOGs are facing the same direction)??

Turns out that Mike Harris, Director of Licensing, under the direction of Jeff Long, licensed the HOG to be right-facing only a couple of years ago. Turns out that they didn't do this by accident, but on purpose, despite complaints from shops and distributors.

It also turns out that every Razorback shop in the state has complained to Mike b/c lots of customers like me don't want a HOG magnet with the HOG facing backwards, or flags that do the same. Word on the street is that Mike has taken a lot of heat about this.

Want to turn up the heat? Send Mike an email at  harrismr@uark.edu, or tweet him at @MikeHarrisUA.

That's your concern? Really? conspiracy much?
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

sooieet

ricepig

Quote from: sooieet on December 16, 2017, 09:11:48 am
I want slobbering Hog magnets. 

I can let my St. Bernard walk down the side of your car and shake it's head.....

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 16, 2017, 09:17:19 am
I can let my St. Bernard walk down the side of your car and shake it's head.....

They named a hospital after him up there huh..........