Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This game was lost on 2 calls

Started by lakecityhog, September 23, 2017, 08:38:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

This game was lost on 2 calls, both by BB. I am literally sick of NOT KICKING THE BALL INTO THE END ZONE!!!!!
Should have cost us the TCU game last year and did cost us this game.

#1 BB decides to kick the ball close to the goal line AGAIN and we give up a 99 yard kick return.

#2 BB decides to go with a sky kick giving ATM the ball on our side of the 50. We were just lucky that Sumlin knew that all he really needed was to tie the game or we would have lost in regulation.

You would think that as many times as we have given up BIG returns that BB would finally learn that this is a BAD philosophy! He is without a doubt the most stubborn coach that we have EVER had.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

root_hawg

Can his kicker kick it into the end zone?  Think he was afraid of giving that kid another chance with the ball should have squib kicked it.

Arkansas Fan

I've never liked the sky kick thing. Why can't we just kick to the other guy and not Kirk?

lakecityhog

IF we are in year 5 and we do not have a kicker that can at the very least reach the end zone he should be fired for that alone. I have seen us kick the ball fairly deep into the end zone from time to time and then come right back with that STUPID kick to the 5 towards the corner.

BB has said in PC's that he favors that to try to pin the other team deep. He is simply too stubborn to give up that lousy 5 yards and it cost us a ball game today.

Kevin

how about after 5 years of recruiting, we get a guy who blast it out of the endzone, like most big boy programs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

trphog

1) The call to hire Bret

2) the call to extend his contract

orvillesghost

I cant defend the pooch kick but when you don't have a guy physically capable of kicking the ball into the end zone, not a lot you can do.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

David†

I went to the Arkansas Tech game last week. Both tech and oklahoma Baptist had kickers that could get it out of the endzone. I for the life of me can't figure out how and FBS team can't find one.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Kevin on September 23, 2017, 08:45:34 pm
how about after 5 years of recruiting, we get a guy who blast it out of the endzone, like most big boy programs

We aren't a big boy program.

lakecityhog

O, do you know for a fact that we do not have a single kicker that can kick the ball 8 yards deep into the end zone? And if we don't why don't we?
Kinda hard for me to believe that a Power 5 program cannot recruit such a kicker!

I mean how hard is that to recruit? Take a few of OUR game balls and OUR Tee to see kicking recruits, tee it up on the 35 and kick 10 balls. If 9 of 10 make it 8 yards deep into the end zone he is recruitable if not move on!

bvillepig

Can Hedlund kick it into the end zone?

Uberanubis

guys we can kick it out of the end zone, it is by design we don't. we play numbers game to try and pin them inside the 25 instead of givign the the freebie, it has a tendency to bite us in the ass at least once or twice a year.
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

hog.goblin

HardCore

Good heavens....kick the sucker out of bounds....aTm 35>>50.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: Kevin on September 23, 2017, 08:45:34 pm

Hogville wisdom says he's the best recruiter we've ever had.  Check out what his fluffers say. You can tell who they are since their first initial is in the first 7 letters of the alphabet.

HoggieStyle

Kick it out of bounds. Yeah it'll be at the 35 but no chance of a return.

David†

Quote from: Uberanubis on September 23, 2017, 09:56:51 pm
guys we can kick it out of the end zone, it is by design we don't. we play numbers game to try and pin them inside the 25 instead of givign the the freebie, it has a tendency to bite us in the ass at least once or twice a year.

If we really can kick it out of endzone, that makes the pooch kick that much worse.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HoggieStyle on September 23, 2017, 10:12:36 pm
Kick it out of bounds. Yeah it'll be at the 35 but no chance of a return.

Damn fine idea.

I do not think the kicker is capable of kicking it into the EZ consistently. That costs you a lot of strategy. And returns for TD.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HardCore

The last 2 minutes of the first half when we just sat on the ball instead of trying to score was also a stroke of genius.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

PossumFan

Quote from: HardCore on September 23, 2017, 09:58:58 pm
Good heavens....kick the sucker out of bounds....aTm 35>>50.

It's not like they planned on A&M getting it at the 50. The idea was OK, but the execution was bad. As was the tackling.

Stewhog 11

BB didn't "decide" to kick it around the goal line. Limpert just didn't get it through the end zone. And we would've been crazy to kick it deep again after that. Just was too short of a sky kick and poor tackling.

Hog Pharm

Not true

pigroots

Did anyone notice on the sky kick #20 has a clear shot at the 12th man carrying the ball and tries to blow him up rather than wrap him up and costs us about 15 yards by failing to tackle?

Letsroll1200

His two calls.

1. Being arrogant enough to start a walk on lineman in the SEC.
2. Lack of attention to detail on special teams

lakecityhog

Again, if we don't have a kicker that can kick it 8 yards deep who is at fault??? It's not like wind was a factor, right??

I mean how hard is that to recruit? Take a few of OUR game balls and OUR Tee to see kicking recruits, tee it up on the 35 and kick 10 balls. If 9 of 10 make it 8 yards deep into the end zone he is recruitable if not move on!

aloha_kid

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 23, 2017, 08:38:59 pm
This game was lost on 2 calls, both by BB. I am literally sick of NOT KICKING THE BALL INTO THE END ZONE!!!!!

#1 BB decides to kick the ball close to the goal line AGAIN and we give up a 99 yard kick return.

#2 BB decides to go with a sky kick giving ATM the ball on our side of the 50. We were just lucky that Sumlin knew that all he really needed was to tie the game or we would have lost in regulation.

You would think that as many times as we have given up BIG returns that BB would finally learn that this is a BAD philosophy! He is without a doubt the most stubborn coach that we have EVER had.

Hmm how about the Mond non-touchdown.  Score that one correctly and we don't get to OT.  Game wasn't lost on those two plays. 

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on September 23, 2017, 10:30:42 pm
BB didn't "decide" to kick it around the goal line. Limpert just didn't get it through the end zone. And we would've been crazy to kick it deep again after that. Just was too short of a sky kick and poor tackling.

Exactly, putting the ball in Kirks hands again would have been stupid.  Maybe kick it out of bounds.

Temprees

You also need to consider the personnel that was on the field.  Those were not some of our fastest guys. 

HiggiePiggy

Either way. It's extremely rare for back to back return TDs.  Kick the damn ball deep. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HiggiePiggy

What goes through our coaches head?   Hey I have a lead. Let's see what I can do to give them a really short field and tie up the game or beat me.   Oh I got it. Let's kick the ball high in the air and let them get the ball to the 50.

buldozer

guys we can kick it out of the end zone, it is by design we don't. we play numbers game to try and pin them inside the 25 instead of givign the the freebie, it has a tendency to bite us in the ass at least once or twice a game.
There, fixed it for ya

moses_007

Those two special teams miscues were exactly what cost us this game.  Special teams had played great the entire game until that point.  We give up a 100 yard kickoff return for a touchdown, then pooch kick the kickoff and they start from our 49 yard line.  The return for a touchdown wasn't a coaching mistake... the players just didn't tackle Kirk, their kickoff returner.  The pooch kick was clearly a coaching decision mistake that ultimately cost us the game.

lahawg1

I would have been ok with an onside kick rather than the pooch kick. At least we would have had a chance to recover the ball and the end result would have been the same.

rljjr

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 23, 2017, 08:58:55 pm
I cant defend the pooch kick but when you don't have a guy physically capable of kicking the ball into the end zone, not a lot you can do.

He can kick into and out of the end zone. This is a coaching philosophy.

hogpc

If it hadn't been those two plays it would have been two other plays or something else altogether.  This team has no soul, no grit and no determination to win.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: root_hawg on September 23, 2017, 08:41:03 pm
Can his kicker kick it into the end zone?  Think he was afraid of giving that kid another chance with the ball should have squib kicked it.

We could have deliberately kicked it out-of-bounds giving it to them on the 35 instead of a short field.  Didn't have to risk another runback. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Hoggish1

The pooch kick might have been fine if we would have just tackled the guy.  We tackled well on the first kickoff.  Why can't be get down there, break down and not leave gaps for guys to run through?

The call in the overtime when it was 3rd and 10, and we were about to make them kick a field goal, didn't need to happen.  Seems it was what they were doing all day.

Hoggish1

Quote from: pigroots on September 23, 2017, 10:35:28 pm
Did anyone notice on the sky kick #20 has a clear shot at the 12th man carrying the ball and tries to blow him up rather than wrap him up and costs us about 15 yards by failing to tackle?

Yes, I did.  But apparently people can't see obvious stuff like that and argue the wrong point because it satisfies their agenda.

Count De Money

Once again, CBB was playing not to lose instead of playing to win.  Seems like he always loses then.

lakecityhog

Let me put it this way--- If most people manufacturing widgets make them on a lathe and you decide to make them on a vertical machining center you are either an innovator or an idiot. Just how many SEC coaches do you see trying to kick to the goal line forcing a return and "sky" kicking? So which is BB, innovator or???

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: pigroots on September 23, 2017, 10:35:28 pm

This is exactly correct.  We had two guys in the process of tackling #12 at the 35, when another guy (I haven't looked at the replay, but assume you're reference of #20 - Coley - is correct) comes in like a heat seeking missile to blow up the play.  Problem is that his arms were by his side instead of extended to wrap around the ball carrier.  Result - he knocks the ball-carrier out of the attempted tackle and even propels him toward the sideline, giving him added acceleration to get around our other defenders and gain about 15 more yards.

In other words - there was nothing wrong with this play, and we had executed it properly until Coley blasts in and screws it up.

Let me ask you another question.  What would the reaction on this board have been if we had kicked off deep - again - right after #3 had taken one to the house on us, and he burned us again with a long run?  Remember - in last year's TCU game, right after we had scored a late TD and gone for 2 to tie it up, we did kick deep to Turpin and he scorched us with a return to our 35 or so.  Only a blocked kick by Skipper saved our hide in that one.

Also - to those suggesting we just kick it out of bounds, thereby giving it to them at the 35.  Remember . . . the receiving team can, instead of taking it there, move us back 5 yards and have us re-kick . . . which is what I would have done in that situation if I were them.  We'd have to eventually kick it in the field of play, or keep getting moved back until we were kicking off from inside our own 20.

I believe that, if we kicked of to them 50 times deep, and 50 times with a pooch kick, the average field position for them would be about the same.  Primary difference is that the "scatter" of results is more volatile if you kick deep.  In other words, kicking tghe pooch kick may give you less chance of pinning them inside their own 20; but it also gives them much less chance of breaking a long one.  In that situation, with limited time and them needing a FG to tie, you want to do the thing that gives you the higher probability of them having to earn a few first downs to get a chance to kick the FG, and less chance of them breaking one.  Kicking the pooch was the right call - we just didn't execute it well enough.

chiefhawg

Quote from: PossumFan on September 23, 2017, 10:22:07 pm
It's not like they planned on A&M getting it at the 50. The idea was OK, but the execution was bad. As was the tackling.
We didn't planned to lose the game. The idea was OK but.............

chiefhawg

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on September 24, 2017, 11:17:53 am
This is exactly correct.  We had two guys in the process of tackling #12 at the 35, when another guy (I haven't looked at the replay, but assume you're reference of #20 - Coley - is correct) comes in like a heat seeking missile to blow up the play.  Problem is that his arms were by his side instead of extended to wrap around the ball carrier.  Result - he knocks the ball-carrier out of the attempted tackle and even propels him toward the sideline, giving him added acceleration to get around our other defenders and gain about 15 more yards.

In other words - there was nothing wrong with this play, and we had executed it properly until Coley blasts in and screws it up.

Let me ask you another question.  What would the reaction on this board have been if we had kicked off deep - again - right after #3 had taken one to the house on us, and he burned us again with a long run?  Remember - in last year's TCU game, right after we had scored a late TD and gone for 2 to tie it up, we did kick deep to Turpin and he scorched us with a return to our 35 or so.  Only a blocked kick by Skipper saved our hide in that one.

Also - to those suggesting we just kick it out of bounds, thereby giving it to them at the 35.  Remember . . . the receiving team can, instead of taking it there, move us back 5 yards and have us re-kick . . . which is what I would have done in that situation if I were them.  We'd have to eventually kick it in the field of play, or keep getting moved back until we were kicking off from inside our own 20.

I believe that, if we kicked of to them 50 times deep, and 50 times with a pooch kick, the average field position for them would be about the same.  Primary difference is that the "scatter" of results is more volatile if you kick deep.  In other words, kicking tghe pooch kick may give you less chance of pinning them inside their own 20; but it also gives them much less chance of breaking a long one.  In that situation, with limited time and them needing a FG to tie, you want to do the thing that gives you the higher probability of them having to earn a few first downs to get a chance to kick the FG, and less chance of them breaking one.  Kicking the pooch was the right call - we just didn't execute it well enough.
There you go again with that well thought out logic. You are no fun.

bcdeputy

and we also nearly got a shallow phantom victory thanks to the usual horrible SEC officials totally blowing a call in our favor.  Face it, we were beaten by a better team

chiefhawg

Quote from: bcdeputy on September 24, 2017, 11:38:31 am
and we also nearly got a shallow phantom victory thanks to the usual horrible SEC officials totally blowing a call in our favor.  Face it, we were beaten by a better team
Remember now, we need breaks to come our way. Taking a touchdown off the board by a bad call is not enough.

bulldog04

On the kick to Kirk either the kick went to the wrong side of the field or the coverage did. Should've squibbed or pooched it at the 30

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: bcdeputy on September 24, 2017, 11:38:31 am

No we weren't beaten by a better team.  We were beaten by a better coaching staff.  Ours is more incompetent than Texas A&Ms.  When we finish 5-7 this year you can thank the staff.  Our team has the talent to win at least 7. This staff will underachieve like he has every single year that he has been here. 

BigSexyHog

So if you are against kicking off deep and kicked a pooch kick what do you suggest?   I mean maybe onside kick or kick out of bounds?   Let me know coach
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room