Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema Outlasted Young Critic at Wisconsin

Started by Mike Irwin, July 15, 2017, 09:39:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Wildhog

Bielema also won 21 games his first two years at UW.  To question his job security after winning 7 in year 3 after those first two years was absurd.  Much different scenario here.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

caveman

I want  Houston Nutt back here, we fired the guy  with a 10 win season, we  used to be ranked in the top 10. Under Nutt we played for the SEC championship, we knocked off some biggies under his watch. This team is going nowhere just like it has the last 5 yrs. Ranked #4 in the west, we cant beat nobody

PorkRinds

Quote from: caveman on July 15, 2017, 10:54:08 pm
I want  Houston Nutt back here, we fired the guy  with a 10 win season, we  used to be ranked in the top 10. Under Nutt we played for the SEC championship, we knocked off some biggies under his watch. This team is going nowhere just like it has the last 5 yrs. Ranked #4 in the west, we cant beat nobody

Oh lawd.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 15, 2017, 11:00:33 pm
How can you say oh Lawd?  Nutt accomplished much more at UA than BB has thus far.  The numbers are the numbers!  Justify Oh Lawd......

Im gonna pass.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

The NewEra

How many two year passes did Houston ask for again?

TNRazorbacker

I'm not going to argue for HN back but there's some logic in this that's undeniable. HN had accomplished significantly more than BB in the same amount of time. HNs Achilles heal was inconsistency, at the same time we rarely played a game that I felt we didn't have a shot in. His spastic tendencies, as frustrating as they were, tended to make him dangerous, and even then I don't recall him dropping games to non-P5 schools.

Sometimes facts are hard to swallow but that doesn't make them any less true.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

nchogg

Coaching in the SEC is different now than it was during the Nutt years. Different Coaches and different offensive schemes.

Hawghiggs

July 16, 2017, 07:15:55 am #10 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:07:02 am by Hawghiggs
 So, Bielema kept up with the career of a nameless young reporter who asked him a unfavorable question? That's not petty at all. We don't need to hire Houston Nutt. We seem to have HN 2.0 already.  I now have no doubt that the Razorbacks will win 9 or 10 games this season. That's straight from the Hootie playbook. Give them hope an ask for more money. I think I see Nebraska's plane circling. 

Hawghiggs

Quote from: nchogg on July 16, 2017, 07:06:05 am
Coaching in the SEC is different now than it was during the Nutt years. Different Coaches and different offensive schemes.

Not really. Ever year new coaches are added to ever program. New schemes are developed to give them a edge.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 16, 2017, 05:56:27 am
I'm not going to argue for HN back but there's some logic in this that's undeniable. HN had accomplished significantly more than BB in the same amount of time. HNs Achilles heal was inconsistency, at the same time we rarely played a game that I felt we didn't have a shot in. His spastic tendencies, as frustrating as they were, tended to make him dangerous, and even then I don't recall him dropping games to non-P5 schools.

Gonna have to agree

Mike_e

What you actually want is Danny Ford back.  Without him hdn wouldn't have made it past year 4.  Period.  Ford recruited players that could play in the SEC and were tough as nails because of him.  Everybody that remembers those first two years of hdn is remembering the ghost of Danny Ford.  DMac was great but hdn wouldn't have been able to do much with him had he still been there because the program would have imploded by then and there wouldn't have been anybody really to block for him (yeah DMac was great but he also had a pretty salty OLine blocking for him)

Maybe CBB is an incarnation of CDF in that he's bringing in some pretty good talent.  And maybe he's doing it for the next guy But at least he's running more than 4 plays and is comfortable with the forward pass.

HDN's teams at least played defense you say?  Did you ever actually see the way he ran his sidelines?  Mass confusion.  There's no way he'd make it against a no huddle team. Heck, it's doubtful that he could have gotten 11 players out there before the snap.  More like 9 or 12 or 13.

I am NOT a Gus fan but the one thing he actually did while he was here was to instill some sideline discipline.  HDN was a walking, talking disaster area.  Let him stay in his nice ole house in oxford or where ever the hexx it is down there.

R/O
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's a fact for you. The SEC in general and the West in particular, wasn't anywhere near as strong as it is today. With as poor of a recruiter as Nutt was (a lot of talent fell into his lap) and as poor of a tactician, he would get his arse eaten alive in the SEC West at Arkansas today.
Go Hogs Go!

southeasthog

I'm not going to argue for HN back but there's some logic in this that's undeniable. HN had accomplished significantly more than BB in the same amount of time.
Win totals for Nutt in his first 4 seasons here. 9, 8, 6, and 7. How is that accomplishing significantly more than Beliema's first 4 years?
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

DEVIL DOG HOG

As I recall CBB defeated CHN in a bowl game.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

HamSammich

Quote from: Mike_e on July 16, 2017, 09:38:55 am
What you actually want is Danny Ford back.  Without him hdn wouldn't have made it past year 4.  Period.  Ford recruited players that could play in the SEC and were tough as nails because of him.  Everybody that remembers those first two years of hdn is remembering the ghost of Danny Ford.  DMac was great but hdn wouldn't have been able to do much with him had he still been there because the program would have imploded by then and there wouldn't have been anybody really to block for him (yeah DMac was great but he also had a pretty salty OLine blocking for him)

Maybe CBB is an incarnation of CDF in that he's bringing in some pretty good talent.  And maybe he's doing it for the next guy But at least he's running more than 4 plays and is comfortable with the forward pass.

HDN's teams at least played defense you say?  Did you ever actually see the way he ran his sidelines?  Mass confusion.  There's no way he'd make it against a no huddle team. Heck, it's doubtful that he could have gotten 11 players out there before the snap.  More like 9 or 12 or 13.

I am NOT a Gus fan but the one thing he actually did while he was here was to instill some sideline discipline.  HDN was a walking, talking disaster area.  Let him stay in his nice ole house in oxford or where ever the hexx it is down there.

R/O

It's rare someone gets it. Great post

We fans and HDN owe Danny ford a lot.

In two years if CBB is let go some other schmuck will come in and win with his players just like HDN. History repeats

Hogtimes

July 16, 2017, 01:54:15 pm #18 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:15:31 pm by Hogtimes
I guess he thought that was a smart put down of  the reporter.  Personally, I would prefer that Bielema concentrate on coaching the team and quit the media scuffling by talking  about a 10 year old grudge.

TNhawgfan

It's all talk until it isn't. I'll reserve judgement on how different it will be this year until after the aggies
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Wildhog

"...and that guy's no longer in the business. So good luck to you."

Thought this was a little uncalled for.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Wildhog on July 16, 2017, 03:15:06 pm

Yeah. Wonder how he would have acted during the Florida Gators-Petrino-hat-ass-chewing Hatgate incident.

This is my non-signature signature.

Wildhog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 16, 2017, 04:06:14 pm
Yeah. Wonder how he would have acted during the Florida Gators-Petrino-hat-ass-chewing Hatgate incident.

Oh, Bobby was quite dickish.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BallHog1

July 16, 2017, 05:09:55 pm #23 Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:18:57 am by BallHog1

Houston inherited Ford's team that was ready to go.
BB inherited Bobby and Smiley's mess.

BallHog1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 09:40:48 am
Here's a fact for you. The SEC in general and the West in particular, wasn't anywhere near as strong as it is today. With as poor of a recruiter as Nutt was (a lot of talent fell into his lap) and as poor of a tactician, he would get his arse eaten alive in the SEC West at Arkansas today.
This, wasn't Shula at Bama then?

3kgthog

Having a ridiculous buyout and an AD that doesn't put a high value on winning sure do make it easy for BB to be mouthy.

I suspect deep down there's a grade A jack wagon inside of him. He's just good at hiding it publicly most of the time. It might explain his super high assistant turnover.

jkstock04

Boy he loves to bring up those Wisconsin days.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogfanny

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 16, 2017, 07:38:30 pm
Boy he loves to bring up those Wisconsin days.
Yep, he;s grabbing at every available straw.   " All our opponents had a off week before we played em"  winey excuses :puke:

caveman

So Danny Ford recruited players who could play in the SEC, how about a few Nutt recruited, like for instance Bat Man Carrol, Felix Jones, Darren McFadden and Peyton Hillis, Cedric Cobb, Matt Jones. When we went to Texas in 2003, Texas was  ranked in the top 10, Jones and company ran over them like Jr High kids. We weren't even ranked in the top 20. Also we beat a Tenn team ranked in the top 5 in Nutts 1st yr.

factchecker

Quote from: caveman on July 16, 2017, 10:35:05 pm
Also we beat a Tenn team ranked in the top 5 in Nutts 1st yr.

We lost to Tennessee in Nutt's first year.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Three and Snout

Quote from: factchecker on July 16, 2017, 11:12:43 pm
We lost to Tennessee in Nutt's first year.

Yeah, and in an epically bad way.  Hard to believe he forgot that.

moses_007

Hell, if we're going to bring somebody back, bring back Lou Holtz.  He was our real winner.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It felt the same way in 2014/2015. Last year was a sucker punch though
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hogtimes

Quote from: Wildhog on July 16, 2017, 03:15:06 pm

Yeah.....for all we know that reporter could now be a Vice-President at CBS or what ever.

hogcard1964

Nutt's not coming back here, nor is Petrino.  Let it go.

This is pretty pathetic.  I can understand missing Petrino, but Nutt?  While he (Nutt) may have been a better coach than Bielema, is that the type of program you really want back?  Unless folks are forgetting, Nutt was also a miserable underperformer.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 16, 2017, 04:09:24 pm
Oh, Bobby was quite dickish.

Yeah Bobby was a class "A" jerk but he was a winner. He wasn't hired to kiss babies or be a glad hander, he was hired to WIN.

CBB on the other hand, is a class act but just hasn't gotten it done.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: The ColonelHog on July 15, 2017, 11:00:33 pm
How can you say oh Lawd?  Nutt accomplished much more at UA than BB has thus far.  The numbers are the numbers!  Justify Oh Lawd......

Bret and his Big 10 team beat one of our best roster's in school history because we had HDN as a coach.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

MamaHogFan

Go back and watch the last Ole Miss vs Vandy game. I watched it with great delight because Vandy destroyed Ole Miss and all HDN could do was bite his nails.

factchecker

Quote from: MamaHogFan on July 20, 2017, 11:25:13 pm
Go back and watch the last Ole Miss vs Vandy game. I watched it with great delight because Vandy destroyed Ole Miss and all HDN could do was bite his nails.

or the game vs. Jacksonville State (with Jack Crowe at head coach) -

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JOKERHOG

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 16, 2017, 02:16:06 pm
It's all talk until it isn't. I'll reserve judgement on how different it will be this year until after the aggies

If BB doesn't beat the aggies this year, well, lets just say that is a must win game for the big guy
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Quote from: GuvHog on July 18, 2017, 04:21:26 pm
Yeah Bobby was a class "A" jerk but he was a winner. He wasn't hired to kiss babies or be a glad hander, he was hired to WIN.

CBB on the other hand, is a class act but just hasn't gotten it done.

One has the "it factor" the other's factor rhymes with "it"
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Hoggish1

Amazingly hilarious...

A post only a caveman could make.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: factchecker on July 20, 2017, 11:28:12 pm
or the game vs. Jacksonville State (with Jack Crowe at head coach) -

Lou Holtz sounds like the lovechild of Forest Gump and Sylvester cat..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

RME

Quote from: JOKERHOG on July 22, 2017, 05:39:51 pm
If BB doesn't beat the aggies this year, well, lets just say that is a must win game for the big guy

Lol

gchamblee

hawgon

Read this article from a Wisconsin guy when Bielema left.  It isn't all negative, in fact it is generally positive overall.  Just read it with four years of Bielema under our belts and tell me if it isn't the complete Bret Bielema experience encapsulated.

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/12/6/3734422/farewell-bret-bielema-arkansas-wisconsin-good-bad-ugly

RME

July 24, 2017, 11:11:53 am #46 Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 12:46:05 pm by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: hawgon on July 24, 2017, 11:06:07 am
Read this article from a Wisconsin guy when Bielema left.  It isn't all negative, in fact it is generally positive overall.  Just read it with four years of Bielema under our belts and tell me if it isn't the complete Bret Bielema experience encapsulated.

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012/12/6/3734422/farewell-bret-bielema-arkansas-wisconsin-good-bad-ugly

That was frighteningly spot on.

EDIT: That wasn't a knock^. I like Bielema. That article was, from what I've seen and how I interpret things, just pretty accurate.

Sed76

That article was great. Loved the part about the vacant stare when things are going wrong. Can't tell you how many times I've screamed at the TV whenever it shows him standing there looking clueless as to what is happening.

Buff

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 16, 2017, 09:40:48 am

It's like people don't remember his last 2 seasons at Ole Miss

gchamblee