Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the best thing Pelphrey did?

Started by rzrbackramsfan, May 02, 2017, 08:43:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: MCHogger on May 03, 2017, 10:03:09 pm
I rode on an airplane from Fort Smith to Dallas and sat next to Marshawn Powell in early April.  He was a really nice guy and had absolutely nothing to say negative about Arkansas.  I asked him what he was doing in Fort Smith and he said that he lives in Greenwood with his wife.  He came in for the birth of his child that weekend and was on a plane back to Germany where he plays professionally.  He said when he retires from basketball he wants to live there full time- said they have acreage and a nice house and he loves it there.  I asked him about Pelphrey and why he came to Arkansas in the first place. He said he lived in Newport News, VA and was going to either UVA or Arkansas.  He said the reason he came to Arkansas was strictly his relationship with asst. coach Tom Ostrom, who is currently on staff with Archie Miller at Indiana.  He said the first time Pelphrey came to visit him at his high school, Pelphrey actually fell asleep talking to him.  He was very close to Ostrom though.  Marshawn was a top fifty kid in high school and was a very good player for the hogs, despite several injuries.  I asked him about the primary difference between Pelphrey and Anderson and he said discipline and accountability.  He said with Pelphrey you really didn't even have to go to class.  Totally opposite with Mike.   He said the program was much more structured with Anderson.

He remains very close to BJ and Fortson.  He also said that he played a lot of ball last summer in Springdale against Malik.  He said Marcus had some secret private gym arranged for him and several former and current Hogs to play in.  Said that Fortson was there a lot, and that a Courtney had just signed a big contract extension in China and had a really nice house in Springdale, and that was a surprise to me as well.  Said he really wanted to stay his last year, but that he needed to move on because he was 23 due to his redshirt injury year.  Super nice guy.

Here are some recent Germany highlights of him, I think we forget how good this guy was

https://youtu.be/AihFEoYU7WI
This is an awesome post and reaffirms that the best thing Pelphrey STAFF (apparently ) did was bring in Marshawn.

Also, I think we can see the discipline and accountability CMA instills in his players and that's why Arkansas always outperforms their recruiting rankings.  On the same note, kids that aren't ready to work hard on and off the court are going to have a bad time and probably want out.  I think that's why we see such great attrition by some kids that actually have an avenue out in my opinion.

In my opinion though, the discipline vs. losing players is worth it, and when we do get some really talented classes back to back full of fully committed kids, watch out.

HF#1

Told that Tennessee kid to shut the F up.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hog in LR

Quote from: Little Lady Back on May 03, 2017, 10:07:42 am
This pretty well sums it up.
Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 03, 2017, 02:29:09 pm
Yes.
I was going to say that was the 'Peak of Pelphrey', but I figured everyone else would say that also.
I was at both those games. Awesome games, the Bud was rockin'.

Back to Heath, yes, he was an excellent recruiter, a 9 of 10. I rued the day he left because of that reason. He was bringing the talent in. As a coach, I'd give him 5 of 10. Ok.
You still get credit for recruits with ties to the program, whether in-city, in-state, etc.
We should know this by now. Instate guys like Allen and Monk left the state. So even if they're from Arkansas, you still have to convince them to the UA. You still have to recruit them.
So, yes, if using a 'credit' scale, an instate recruit is still worth full credit to me.
But to truly measure one's recruiting prowess, out of state guys are worth more, like double credit. 1 pt for instate, 2 pts for out of state.
Heath had quite a few out of state recruits.
He also made his mark recruiting within the first few months of taking the job, drawing legitimate interest from Daniel Gibson and Lamarcus Aldridge, and signing Eric Ferguson and Kendrick Davis on short notice. I was as impressed by that as much as anything.
Heath's notable out of state recruits:

Patrick Beverly         Chicago
Darian Townes         Virginia
Al Jefferson              Mississippi
Steven Hill                 Missouri
Charles Thomas       Mississippi
Cyrus McGowan     Mississippi. Entire family had attended Miss St, but Heath convinced him to come here.

Great salesman, average coach.

Just strictly considering the last three coaches and not the 'legends'(Eddie, Nolan), if you could somehow combine Heath's recruiting ability with Anderson's coaching, we'd be in business.

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 03, 2017, 02:29:09 pm
Yes.
I was going to say that was the 'Peak of Pelphrey', but I figured everyone else would say that also.
I was at both those games. Awesome games, the Bud was rockin'.

Back to Heath, yes, he was an excellent recruiter, a 9 of 10. I rued the day he left because of that reason. He was bringing the talent in. As a coach, I'd give him 5 of 10. Ok.
You still get credit for recruits with ties to the program, whether in-city, in-state, etc.
We should know this by now. Instate guys like Allen and Monk left the state. So even if they're from Arkansas, you still have to convince them to the UA. You still have to recruit them.
So, yes, if using a 'credit' scale, an instate recruit is still worth full credit to me.
But to truly measure one's recruiting prowess, out of state guys are worth more, like double credit. 1 pt for instate, 2 pts for out of state.
Heath had quite a few out of state recruits.
He also made his mark recruiting within the first few months of taking the job, drawing legitimate interest from Daniel Gibson and Lamarcus Aldridge, and signing Eric Ferguson and Kendrick Davis on short notice. I was as impressed by that as much as anything.
Heath's notable out of state recruits:

Patrick Beverly         Chicago
Darian Townes         Virginia
Al Jefferson              Mississippi
Steven Hill                 Missouri
Charles Thomas       Mississippi
Cyrus McGowan     Mississippi. Entire family had attended Miss St, but Heath convinced him to come here.

Great salesman, average coach.

Just strictly considering the last three coaches and not the 'legends'(Eddie, Nolan), if you could somehow combine Heath's recruiting ability with Anderson's coaching, we'd be in business.

I guess everybody forgot about Olu Famutimi who was the most notable recruit - aside from Al Jefferson - that Heath signed.  He was rated as high as #4 in the country and was the last McDonald's All American at Arkansas prior to the signing of Bobby Portis.  Olu's knee injury was unfortunate and likely hampered his performance.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: ShadowHawg on May 03, 2017, 01:07:29 pm
Since its fair game to hold in state guys against MA, then Brewer and Weems don't count. We were about the only school recruiting Jefferson because everyone knew he was going pro just like LeBron and didn't waste resources on him.

So that leaves Beverley. A headache and grade causality

If MA had recruited these guys this would be the narrative along with not being able to keep Anderson from Ok State.
Anderson never considered Ar for a second. He was OK St bound.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hog in LR on May 06, 2017, 03:35:12 pm
I guess everybody forgot about Olu Famutimi who was the most notable recruit - aside from Al Jefferson - that Heath signed.  He was rated as high as #4 in the country and was the last McDonald's All American at Arkansas prior to the signing of Bobby Portis.  Olu's knee injury was unfortunate and likely hampered his performance.
I did totally forget about Famutimi, and you're exactly right. Coming out of high school, he was ranked extremely high, and I believe he was from Canada. Just another and probably the best example of Heath's recruiting prowess. It would have been nice to see what he was like minus the knee injury.

STLhawg

I remember Olu because I went to Mizzou black and gold game (that he attended) and snuck in a sign that said, "Olu sign with Arkansas" or something like that.   I waited until the end of the game and when he didn't notice it I went down to the court to show him.  My wife and her family weren't too happy as they are MU alum.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: STLhawg on May 08, 2017, 07:00:35 pm
I remember Olu because I went to Mizzou black and gold game (that he attended) and snuck in a sign that said, "Olu sign with Arkansas" or something like that.   I waited until the end of the game and when he didn't notice it I went down to the court to show him.  My wife and her family weren't too happy as they are MU alum.

Haha thats awesome

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!