Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eliminate Divisions

Started by parallaxpig, November 27, 2016, 03:22:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

Many threads on this subject. Just watched Fox CFP show so I'm bringing it up again. Play 1 or 2 permanent opponent(for rivalry fanatics) and rotate the other 7 or 8. The division champ game not doing what it was intended to do. 
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Locutus_of_Boar

A  Eliminate divisions - top 2 team to Atlanta
B  Go to a 9 game conf schedule
C  4 home, 4 away, 1 neutral site 
D  each team to have 5 permanent and 8 rotating opponents
E  4 year cycle for a complete home and home rotation of the non-permanent opponents
F  For Arkansas the permanent opponents would be Ole Miss, LSU, A&M, Mizzou, and Tenn

RazorPiggie

onebadrubi

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 27, 2016, 03:22:02 pm
Many threads on this subject. Just watched Fox CFP show so I'm bringing it up again. Play 1 or 2 permanent opponent(for rivalry fanatics) and rotate the other 7 or 8. The division champ game not doing what it was intended to do.

So how would you determine the championship game?  Also, who would be in it this year?  Bama vs LSU?  Bama vs Auburn?

Calling All Hogs

With our current staff, going to a 9 game conference schedule will put us in a situation where our yearly goal will only be bowl eligibility.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 27, 2016, 04:22:14 pm
With our current staff, going to a 9 game conference schedule will put us in a situation where our yearly goal will only be bowl eligibility.

I think we are near that point right now.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

RockyMtnHog

The divisions are not going away but they do need realignment.  The West is just way too strong compared to the East.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Redhogs

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 27, 2016, 04:24:28 pm
The divisions are not going away but they do need realignment.  The West is just way too strong compared to the East.
Things swing back and fourth over time, but I do think they should be more geographical centered.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogfanny

If we were good enough it would not matter. It seems that parity is here save Bama.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 27, 2016, 04:22:14 pm

Our program's championship chances have dwindled with each evolution.  Programs like Ark, Nebraska, Colorado, W Va etc had chances at NC's.  Nebraska was able to hang on barely into this century.  When we went to the super conferences, our chances were reduced.  A conf CG added another obstacle.  Now with every playoff game added, our chances are reduced.  Add a conf game, it gets tougher for us.  We, as could other programs with lesser recruiting bases, could win 8 team conferences and with a little luck have a one game shot for a championship or a share of it.  The more that is added, the tougher the conferences get with depth, the more Bama, Oh St, Mich, FSU will dominate.  USC and Texas will be back.

So it isn't a staff thing.  Some staffs for us would be closer than others.  It is a depth of competition thing and only being able to overcome so much. 

Washington Huskies this season not only have to beat Colorado but then on to play Bama and then Oh St or Clemson.  At one time, all they had to do was go win the Rose Bowl and in this case hope Bama lost the Sugar Bowl and maybe get some share of a championship.  Times have changed a lot. 

As far as the OP, why bother with conf ch games at that point?  Let's have a 32 team playoff, reduce the reg season importance and interest as much as possible for most programs and head down the path of college basketball where postseason is everything. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogwild

What interesting is that Bama is the only team in the West ranked in the Top 15, and the West finished with twice as many teams with losing records.

Hawghiggs

If you want to fix the divisions. Then push for expansion. Get Oklahoma and Okie state to come to the SEC.

MountieDawg

They just stop having a championship and give everyone a trophy! 
SEC!

Youngsta71701

I have said that A&M and Missouri should be in the West when they first joined the SEC. This is the way I think it should be according to where the schools are located on the map and according to rather you want to be truly East and West.

East
1. Auburn
2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. Kentucky
5. South Carolina
6. Tennessee
7. Vanderbilt

West
1. Alabama
2. Arkansas
3. LSU
4. Mississippi State
5. Missouri
6. Ole Miss
7. Texas A&M

Alabama and Vanderbilt are really close when it comes to the east/west part. Flip a coin.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

mweston

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 28, 2016, 07:24:14 am
I have said that A&M and Missouri should be in the West when they first joined the SEC. This is the way I think it should be according to where the schools are located on the map and according to rather you want to be truly East and West.

East
1. Auburn
2. Florida
3. Georgia
4. Kentucky
5. South Carolina
6. Tennessee
7. Vanderbilt

West
1. Alabama
2. Arkansas
3. LSU
4. Mississippi State
5. Missouri
6. Ole Miss
7. Texas A&M

Alabama and Vanderbilt are really close when it comes to the east/west part. Flip a coin.

Put Vandy in the West.  Due to politics, I don't think you split Bama and Auburn.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: mweston on November 28, 2016, 09:23:14 am
Put Vandy in the West.  Due to politics, I don't think you split Bama and Auburn.
I was thinking that myself. No way they would split those two. This alignment makes more sense than the current one. How in the world is Missouri in the east? Fixed it for ya.

East
1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. Florida
4. Georgia
5. Kentucky
6. South Carolina
7. Tennessee

West
1. Arkansas
2. LSU
3. Mississippi State
4. Missouri
5. Ole Miss
6. Texas A&M
7. Vanderbilt
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Michaelt

What about North/South divisions?

North
1. Missouri
2. Tennessee
3. Vanderbilt
4. Arkansas
5. Mississippi
6. Georgia
7. Kentucky

South
1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. Texas A&M
4. LSU
5. Mississippi State
6. Florida
7. South Carolina

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Michaelt on November 28, 2016, 10:00:31 am
What about North/South divisions?

North
1. Missouri
2. Tennessee
3. Vanderbilt
4. Arkansas
5. Mississippi
6. Georgia
7. Kentucky

South
1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. Texas A&M
4. LSU
5. Mississippi State
6. Florida
7. South Carolina

That looks about as unbalanced as the current SEC West and SEC East are.  A LOT more firepower in your proposed South Division, on a year in/year out basis. 

In fact, your proposed SEC South is basically the current SEC West, with Florida and South Carolina exchanged for us (Arkansas) and Ole Miss.  Over the last 20 years, you'd have to say that Florida is the best of those programs, and S. Carolina the worst, with Ole Miss and Arkansas in between.  So, this really doesn't do anything to solve the balance of power problem.

RollHogTide

I agree with the concept of doing away with divisions; because, I'm not sure that it is practical to assume you would ever have an equal division of power teams.  I would also like to see ALL historical permanent games (i.e. AL/TN, AU/GA,..etc.) eliminated - while I am certainly older, I don't believe the historical significance of those games is good for the conference (most people my age would disagree). 

The power teams and divisions within the conference has been very cyclical in the past and I have no reason to assume that will not be the case in the future.  History has a way of repeating itself, and at some point in the near future, teams like Georgia, Florida, Tennessee will once again rise and be a significant threat to challenge for the SEC championship. 

I'm just not sure that mathematically - you can clearly determine the two best teams without everyone playing everyone (BIG-12).  And as we have seen the polls are not a viable option for determining a ranking (Texas A&M ranked #4 initially on CFP poll).   At some point, someone would be butthurt claiming another team had an easier path to the championship game without divisions. 

So, while I like the idea - I think there would be some significant challenges.

Fan1958

Never work separating Bama and Auburn unless Tennessee took Auburn's spot.  Bama must continue to have TN as their permanent opponent from the East and must play Auburn.  Placing AU and UT in the same division without Bama in that division won't work.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

dh027

I think divisions based solely on geography are antiquated. They were started when is was logistically difficult to travel long distances. It doesn't take two days by train to get to the east coast anymore.  I say do something similar to what the Big 10 attempted several years ago.  Two non geographical divisions with better parity.

Division I:
Arkansas
South Carolina
Auburn
Vanderbilt
A&M
Ole Miss
Georgia

Division II:
Missouri
Alabama
Mississippi State
Florida
Tennessee
LSU
Kentucky

Every 5-10 years realign it when it when it gets lopsided.  Again. This will never ever happen, but it's fun to discuss.  I think eventually when  the Big 12 folds, there could be a 4 division, 2 league, 20 team SEC, with adding some of their cast-offs and possibly SMU and Florida State.