Pipe Dream #1

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, November 27, 2016, 01:07:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Defensive Coordinator/Safeties-Paul Rhoads
Defensive Line-Charlie Partridge
Linebackers- Dirt Winston
Cornerbacks- Brian Mitchell (VA Tech)

Just pullin stuff out of my butt like everyone else.
This is my non-signature signature.

hobhog

Gruden?

Btw- Michigan state making no changes to staff after 3-9 season. Just sayin.

TheEnemy

Charlie Strong - DC/Linebackers
Charlie Partridge - Defensive Line / Special Teams Coach
Paul Rhoads - Defensive Backs
Vernon Hargreaves - Linebackers

That would be a helluva recruiting group as well.

Bubba's Bruisers

What's the infatuation with Rhoads? 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: hobhog on November 27, 2016, 01:10:48 pm
Gruden?

You mean the Michigan St who played in the college football playoff last year? The team that was on their like, 7th QB of the year.

Yeah...they had a shot at a NC last year. Think deserve a bit of leeway.

Has zero in common with the situation here. Zero.

PRJ

Großer Kriegschwein

Gruden?

None of those are impossible hires dude. Dont get the Gruden innuendo. Don't get the Michigan State comparisons either. They went to the playoff last year with an upper class heavy roster.

Bubba's Bruisers

Gruden?

And Dantonio has earned quite a bit of credit at MSU.  Was in the playoff just last season.  The situation is night and day compared to us.  Context matters.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 27, 2016, 01:12:47 pm
Charlie Strong - DC/Linebackers
Charlie Partridge - Defensive Line / Special Teams Coach
Paul Rhoads - Defensive Backs
Vernon Hargreaves - Linebackers

That would be a helluva recruiting group as well.

I'm good with everyone but Hargreaves. We need a workhorse as a Linebackers coach. Dirt fills the bill.

I don't believe that Strong will ever coach in Arkansas

sickboy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 01:13:39 pm

He's a name. Most fans just gravitate towards names they recognize. Plus, he was a head coach. And with how Enos has turned out -- it's not hard to see why people are looking at Rhoads. It's human nature to find patterns and see causality.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: sickboy on November 27, 2016, 01:19:32 pm
He's a name. Most fans just gravitate towards names they recognize. Plus, he was a head coach. And with how Enos has turned out -- it's not hard to see why people are looking at Rhoads. It's human nature to find patterns and see causality.

Yep, been a head coach, successful DC. Specialty is secondary.

He fits.

TheEnemy

Say what you want but our corners improved alot under Rhoads.  Defensive Problem was scheme, Disappearing safety play, and zero QB pressure.

Bubba's Bruisers

I mean Smith is getting pummeled around here, while Rhodes and his abomination that is the defensive back play, is literally ignored. 

TheEnemy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 01:22:56 pm
I mean Smith is getting pummeled around here, while Rhodes and his abomination that is the defensive back play, is literally ignored.

Rhoads coaches Corners.  They improved this year.

Smith coaches safeties.  They have been horrible.

A big part of the secondary problem is safety play.

Torqued pork

Even Paul Rhodes is a pipe dream? We are one beaten down fanbase, aren't we?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 27, 2016, 01:25:42 pm

Also a big part of chunk plays that we've given up on the ground this year. They are so out of position that Pulley has had to come across the field and run some of them down.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 27, 2016, 01:25:42 pm

The MO game begs to differ.  Pass rush or not.

Now, I'm not at all saying he sucks or that he's not qualified.  I'm just questioning the disparity in criticisms.  Sickboy is right, Rhoads is somewhat of a name guy.  Gets much more latitude.  Maybe deserved, maybe not.

LZH

Michigan State will make changes in the next few weeks, just as we will.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 27, 2016, 01:26:47 pm
Even Paul Rhodes is a pipe dream? We are one beaten down fanbase, aren't we?

No kidding.

Bacon_Bitz

Mich St is a good comparison. Go back and look how many years it took Dantonio to build that program.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LZH on November 27, 2016, 01:29:24 pm
Michigan State will make changes in the next few weeks, just as we will.

Rory first.

Großer Kriegschwein

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on November 27, 2016, 01:29:39 pm
Mich St is a good comparison. Go back and look how many years it took Dantonio to build that program.

I made the point yesterday that MSU is the program we should try to emulate.  Like us...Historically average program, historically 2nd tier in their conference, mediocre recruiting base, and average recruiting results.  But excellent coaches and leadership with time to build.

Of course, Dantonio had the luxury of building during one of the weakest periods in Big10 history.

TheEnemy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 01:28:44 pm
The MO game begs to differ.  Pass rush or not.

Now, I'm not at all saying he sucks or that he's not qualified.  I'm just questioning the disparity in criticisms.  Sickboy is right, Rhoads is somewhat of a name guy.  Gets much more latitude.  Maybe deserved, maybe not.

MO game is proof.

Safeties were non-existent all game.

Corners were hung out with no help to stop everything underneath and over the top.

And Smith had no adjustments for it.  Left them out there in a scheme that they could not be successful in.

Oklahawg

Rhoads was the bright spot in terms of defensive coaching.

Hargraves, not sure what he had to work with. Hard to bag on him too hard when a constant theme on HV for a couple of years - Brooks Ellis is a great young man and a fine run-game LB, but he is not equipped to play LB against the spread. And Ellis was the best that Hargraves had to work with. I want to see Hargraves' work with the RS LB group + a couple of true frosh who look long and fast.

I agree with LZH, MSU and UA will make changes. I suspect Dantonio and Bielema operate from a similar playbook: help the outgoing assistants find a place to land so they don't have to fire them.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LZH

Bubba's Bruisers

farmhawg

Gruden?

Again, apples to oranges. I think he has earned that right. Some of you will grasp at anything.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hobhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 27, 2016, 01:13:47 pm
You mean the Michigan St who played in the college football playoff last year? The team that was on their like, 7th QB of the year.

Yeah...they had a shot at a NC last year. Think deserve a bit of leeway.

Has zero in common with the situation here. Zero.

PRJ

Good coach had a bad year. It happens. BTW- He had a losing record in year 3 after inheriting Sabans team. Broke out in year 4. You would have hated him.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hobhog on November 27, 2016, 01:43:48 pm
Good coach had a bad year. It happens. BTW- He had a losing record in year 3 after inheriting Sabans team. Broke out in year 4. You would have hated him.

Simply not true.  Saban was gone like 8 or 10 years before Dantonio arrived.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hobhog on November 27, 2016, 01:43:48 pm

God Almighty.

That means it took Dantonio 20 years to build that team?

//sarcasm off

Atlhogfan1

IMO, it is important our defensive staff gets at least someone with extensive SEC experience.  Recruiting and coaching in the region.  I don't think our defensive coaches or HC have had a clue what kind of athletes it takes to play defense in this conference.  Rhoads was DC for AU for one season.  Segrest was a grad asst under Stallings at Bama.  That's it.  Partridge doesn't have it either.  IMO - Bielema needs to hire at least 2 new defensive coaches.  Partridge replacing Segrest is fine.  But the other spot needs to be someone who has been a part of a successful SEC defensive program.  Not Iowa St, Pitt, Rutgers, Maine, etc. 

LSU can bring in coaches from elsewhere as the recruiting base has the athletes there.  No need to go figure out what is needed.  Aranda works there. 

Bielema doesn't have that luxury.  Yet he keeps surrounding himself with coaches with little to no SEC experience.  It is one thing to learn on the job and figure out what is needed in this conference.  But not to hire those who know who could help is dumb. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Paul Westerhawg

OK, I'll say it: DICK BUMPAS!!! Bring him out of retirement. Bring him "home" to coach em up. This thread could no longer afford to continue without the requisite, annual Dick Bumpas mention.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 01:13:39 pm
A long successful record maybe, hell he even had some winning seasons at one of the top 5 worst schools in D1, if not the worst.