Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My thoughts

Started by rihog, November 27, 2016, 12:27:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rihog

First of all, I don't post that much, but I've been a member for a long time. I have watched a lot of Razorback football. I have a few thoughts that I wanted to get opinions about.

1. Were the expectations of the season met?
For me, I believe that we need to win our bowl game. We are exactly what I think most of us expected when the season started. Far too inconsistent to finish between any better than 7-5 or 8-4.

2. Reason for the slightly above average season?
First of all SEC! Especially the SEC West is the toughest division in college football. Hands down, there is no debate. Second, we were not good on the O-Line. I don't care how good of a player you got, but if you recruit Player A for Defense, and then switch him to Offense, it's a red flag!! I'm looking at Frodholt. Apparently, our current Interior O-Line recruits were not as good as advertised. From that point, I felt like we'd have a tough season with ups and downs. Secondly, there is a reason that our defense was not good. Can't believe more people aren't talking about this. We can't get any push. Robb Smith's defense works the best when he gets pressure with front 4. Not since Philon and Flowers, have we had any push.

3. Coaching changes. I am not the head coach, but I think we will see some changes. I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire Defensive staff except for Paul Rhoades go. Not saying it will happen, but there is some serious lack of focus or commitment to teaching discipline and fundamentals. I will even go a little further and say, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kurt Anderson go either. Not saying he will, just wouldn't shock me. There was no improvement from the line at all during the course of the season. The QB improved, the running backs improved, the receivers/ TE were a push, and the line if anything regressed.

4. Where do we go from here? We have 4/5 returning starters on the O-line, however, I believe that we are recruiting some JUCO talent on the line. So it could be concerning if players aren't developing as they should. The D-line will be better, but will it be enough to get us over the hump?

Only time will tell. So let me know if I am off?
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

presidenthog

Quote from: rihog on November 27, 2016, 12:27:01 pm
The D-line will be better

We will be horrid on the DE'S. Unless agim loses weight and goes outside we are screwed there. We will be relying on a JUCO guy, and beanum if he is even good enough to play after not playing for a year. All the depth after that is whoever we bring in (BTW this is Bert's worst class)

Oklahawg

CBB committed to keeping as many young pups redshirting or in developmental mode.

Three legit DL redshirted this year. We shall see if they pay off or not. We redshirted the best OL from last year. We redshirted a couple of speed guys on offense. We redshirted 3 of 4 LBs (although I wonder if we'll see LaFrance move to DE...he was big upon recruitment and I suspect a year in the weight room hasn't slimmed him down!).

Let me also suggest that when you commit to the process of long-term development (and many of the players in the pipeline need development to make up for less than uber-elite skills) you leave standing on the sideline holding a helmet many players capable of helping right now. That can lead to grumblings, and I think that has been an issue since early in the year.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

farmhawg

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 01:45:20 pm
CBB committed to keeping as many young pups redshirting or in developmental mode.

Three legit DL redshirted this year. We shall see if they pay off or not. We redshirted the best OL from last year. We redshirted a couple of speed guys on offense. We redshirted 3 of 4 LBs (although I wonder if we'll see LaFrance move to DE...he was big upon recruitment and I suspect a year in the weight room hasn't slimmed him down!).

Let me also suggest that when you commit to the process of long-term development (and many of the players in the pipeline need development to make up for less than uber-elite skills) you leave standing on the sideline holding a helmet many players capable of helping right now. That can lead to grumblings, and I think that has been an issue since early in the year.
Bad strategy in today's environment.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: farmhawg on November 27, 2016, 01:58:19 pm

I noticed that SABAN redshirted Jalen Hurts ........ LOL....
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

Oklahawg

Quote from: farmhawg on November 27, 2016, 01:58:19 pm

Coach is committed to a long-term strategy. He was hired to do that. We as fans don't like it, and it may well backfire. But, the process needs to be given it's proper chance.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

I don't expect a better D line next season.  DE will likely suck.  Will likely again be little to no pass rush.  Not sure There are any legit DE's on the roster right now.  Agim if they move him and maybe Ramsey?  Might be better the following year, though.

The OL will be interesting if we lose Ragnow and thus leaving us to replace the 2 most Important positions on the OL...WOT and C.  Very little depth there.

Still lots of question marks along the LOS.  We will likely be fighting for a bowl appearance next season.  Then replacing the QB the following.  2019 is our year, though.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 02:06:15 pm
Coach is committed to a long-term strategy. He was hired to do that. We as fans don't like it, and it may well backfire. But, the process needs to be given it's proper chance.

All the talent in the world ain't gonna get Bret to coach em to 10 wins. He might win 8. He would definitely piss and moan a couple of wins away with his splendid game management. I have seen that with my own eyes.

PRJ

island hog

If Saban starts a freshman at QB, he's no ordinary freshman.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 02:06:15 pm

I actually love it.  It's the right approach for a program like ours. 

The real issue is recruiting.  It's not been measurably better.  The redshirting will help, of course, but not likely to be a huge deal.  The current class, on paper, looks to be his worst.  Almost all low hanging fruit kids.  Kids with few options. We'll see, but I've seen this move over and over again.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

LZH

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 27, 2016, 01:45:20 pm

There is obviously some problems behind the curtain....I wonder if this doesn't go to the core of one of those problems.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 27, 2016, 02:11:45 pm
All the talent in the world ain't gonna get Bret to coach em to 10 wins. He might win 8. He would definitely piss and moan a couple of wins away with his splendid game management. I have seen that with my own eyes.

PRJ

Disagree, but it doesn't matter, because Bret, or anyone else for that matter, won't get significant amounts of talent. 

Danny J

PRJ
Correct...we are WAY less talented than Florida and clobbered them.  We are WAY more talented than Mizzou and lost after leading 24-7 at the half.

We lost to Bama because of talent. We would have lost to Auburn and LSU because of talent although the games should have been closer.

Talent and depth will keep us from competing for the SEC on a consistent basis however the talent we have should keep us in most games except for when we play a Bama or tOSU since they have talent and elite coaches. Ole Miss had loads of talent and that shows that it's not all about talent. You need both. We have an average staff and average talent.

Danny J

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 27, 2016, 02:16:08 pm
Disagree, but it doesn't matter, because Bret, or anyone else for that matter, won't get significant amounts of talent.
Yep which means we need elite coaching not average coaching or in the case of the defense...horrible coaching.

hobhog

PRJ
[/quote

If you really believe what you are saying you'd already been gone. Guess it's like me and basketball. Makes me feel better to whine about MA even though I know he's not going anywhere. I'm just not as relentless as some.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Danny J on November 27, 2016, 02:21:03 pm
Correct...we are WAY less talented than Florida and clobbered them.  We are WAY more talented than Mizzou and lost after leading 24-7 at the half.

We lost to Bama because of talent. We would have lost to Auburn and LSU because of talent although the games should have been closer.

Talent and depth will keep us from competing for the SEC on a consistent basis however the talent we have should keep us in most games except for when we play a Bama or tOSU since they have talent and elite coaches. Ole Miss had loads of talent and that shows that it's not all about talent. You need both. We have an average staff and average talent.

Again To be fair, the talent disparity concept sort of goes out the window when you don't have a QB.  Makes it very easy on us.  It's THE reason we beat them, and TX in the bowl game, and LSU some.  If the other team has talent and competent QB play, then we're toast. 

No excuses for MO, though.  I like BB. Want him to succeed. Really like the style he wants to play.  Still think the jury is somewhat out, but 4 seasons is enough for any objective fan to begin seeing the picture.  BB definitely has some Nutt traits.  Questionable game day coach, little to no adjustments, and doesn't appear to be a detail oriented guy.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Ok forget whether or not stars matter for a minute.  Counting the one coming in next year this will probably be the best four year stretch Arkansas has ever had.  It's not that these guys don't have talent.  The problem is the scheme and coaching.  If you took the same ranked class recruited for a scheme that works for Arkansas, coached by the "right" coach, we would be seeing some very exciting football.

I don't care who BB keeps or fires, he has every opportunity to win while he is here and at a level acceptable to the vast majority of fans.   Two more years is the most he should be given.  If it's still 7-5 and a losing conference record and he is still losing game in unacceptable ways we need to try a different coach.  There is nothing wrong with firing a coach not meeting expectations after years 4-6.   All depends on the program.  I couldn't see him lasting a Bama as of this year but we're not Bama.  Two more years max unless he really tanks next year.