Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just trying to understand us...

Started by ArkansasI, November 27, 2016, 11:32:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkansasI

Being a Razorback when I was a kid was pure magic. We understood the odds against us and embraced the challenge. It seemed much of the country marvelled at our success...  Razorback Stadium was full of crazy fans wearing Hog Hats.

Today, the world is smaller.  There is far less mystery to success.

We have a coach that left a comfortable place to share our journey. Seems like a great guy committed to doing it right. I think the players like him. We've been redshirting good players. Our recruiting classes have been as good as ever.

Friday we got beat by a home team that is a couple of years removed from back to back SEC East Championships, replaced a terribly successful coach due to retirement, and pulled out every stop to salvage a little hope for its season.

The Hogs franked up... But I doubt a win against Mizzou would have significantly impacted our program. Nor do I see the loss as killing any momentum we might have otherwise gained.

The problem we have is the talent split between Arkansas versus LSU and Bama, and to a degree Auburn and A&M.  We are getting ready to find out if the redshirt program will get us competitive. Bret brought in a lot of good players that have gone pro.  Their absences were felt.

It seems some of us are intent on chasing out our general right before we learn the capabilities of our troops. He's made some mistakes - lost a few battles we ought to have won, but he's also proved to be competent. Not sure who anyone is clamoring after, but Bret has behaved like a Razorback. I hope the fans will circle back around to remembering how much fun it is soon.

It ain't easy. If you're looking for easy, there are other programs to follow.

rude1

Summation: Be thankful for 7-5 seasons, this is a tough job that nobody can do better than that with. This is a new train of thought.

3kgthog

Being competitive and giving SEC royalty a heck of a game is fun. What we're getting now isn't fun. I sit back during every game and wait for Bret to drive the wheels off.

Redhogs

Quote from: ArkansasI on November 27, 2016, 11:32:01 am
Being a Razorback when I was a kid was pure magic. We understood the odds against us and embraced the challenge. It seemed much of the country marvelled at our success...  Razorback Stadium was full of crazy fans wearing Hog Hats.

We have a coach that left a comfortable place to share our journey. Seems like a great guy committed to doing it right. I think the players like him. We've been redshirting good players. Our recruiting classes have been as good as ever.

Friday we got beat by a home team that is a couple of years removed from back to back SEC East Championships, replaced a terribly successful coach due to retirement, and pulled out every stop to salvage a little hope for its season.

The Hogs franked up... But I doubt a win against Mizzou would have significantly impacted our program. Nor do I see the loss as killing any momentum we might have otherwise gained.

The problem we have is the talent split between Arkansas versus LSU and Bama, and to a degree Auburn and A&M.  We are getting ready to find out if the redshirt program will get us competitive. Bret brought in a lot of good players that have gone pro.  Their absences were felt.

It seems some of us are intent on chasing out our general right before we learn the capabilities of our troops. He's made some mistakes - lost a few battles we ought to have won, but he's also proved to be competent. Not sure who anyone is clamoring after, but Bret has behaved like a Razorback. I hope the fans will circle back around to remembering how much fun it is soon.

If it was easy you would not be getting $4 freaking million to do it.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: rude1 on November 27, 2016, 11:36:03 am
Summation: Be thankful for 7-5 seasons, this is a tough job that nobody can do better than that with. This is a new train of thought.
100% correct.  Screw that.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Hogist

...but he's also proved to be competent....

Wha? Can you please expound on this part?

ArkansasI

porkrindjimmy

Another I am a great fan and if you disagree, you aren't post.

Bravo.

PRJ

Lake City Hog

Redshirting-----

1st class 5th year Seniors
3 - A Allen, T Beanum and D Coley

2nd class 5th year Seniors
5 - A Watts, J Hall, S Ramirez, B Wallace and R Ramsey

When exactly do we start redshirting?

Sed76

If you can't see there are some major issues with this team and the direction we are going then you are part of the problem. Nothing will ever change if everyone is content with getting blown out of by every decent team we played and laying an egg against the worst team in the conference.

sickboy

Quote from: Redhogs on November 27, 2016, 11:42:35 am
If it was easy you would not be getting $4 freaking million to do it.

If you want to win championships at Arkansas, you're going to have to pay a lot more than 4 million dollars. It ain't rocket science. Texas just paid a guy who's only been a head coach for two years about 6 million after incentives. You want to hire a proven winner that's at the peak of his form -- then 4 million a year is chump change.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Sed76 on November 27, 2016, 12:33:19 pm
If you can't see there are some major issues with this team and the direction we are going then you are part of the problem. Nothing will ever change if everyone is content with getting blown out of by every decent team we played and laying an egg against the worst team in the conference.
I agree. What I find most disturbing is the fact that we got "toasted" this year against some teams we've been pretty competitive with over the past few years. While I realize each team and year is different, to get DESTROYED with little fight against Auburn, LSU and 'Bama (to be somewhat expected), and to lose yet again to TAM and a pathetically weak Mizzou team has to leave one very shaken in terms of what lies ahead in the future. The lose one, win the next, lose the next up and down mode of this team is truly frustrating and maddening. Not sure what type of real leadership we had with many on this team, however, SOMETHING better change/improve or we're likely not going to see much, in any, improvement going forward. I certainly lay part of the blame squarely on part of the staff as well. What the hell happened to the DL this year?! Not saying they were the only problem with the defense; however, we suspected the LBs and DBs were not going to be the strength of that side of the ball. With the supposed depth we had there even with some injuries, with every team suffers to one degree or another, it seems the effort/desire was severely lacking on the part of many of the players.