Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Depth Chart?

Started by bennyl08, November 26, 2016, 09:41:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

QB: Austin Allen, Sr (likely to go to NFL)
      Ty Storey, So
       Ricky Town, So
       Cole Kelly, RFr (with a chance to move up the depth chart)

RB: RW3, Jr (high possibility of declaring early)
      Whaley, So (more experienced and even better)
      Hammonds, So
      Duwop, Sr

FB: Hayden Johnson, So (same as whaley)
      Kendrick Jackson, Jr (really an or with Hayden)

WR: Cornelius, Sr (if he doesn't leave early)
       Stewart, So

WR: Jones, So OR
       Pettway, So.

TE: Cantrell, So (expecting big jump going from freshmen to sophomore as well as a year of playing time)
      O'Grady OR Gunter, So (early favorites for the second spot)
      Gragg and Bell, So and Kraus, Jr will also put up heavy fights.

LT: Anybody's guess. Do they put Ragnow out of place? Wallace has flirted with the position a lot. Ramirez I think has the best skill set and will be a year removed from JUCO. Jackson stayed there for virtually all of spring and summer and is a threat to play there as well.

LG: Froholdt, Jr
      Raulerson, Sr

C: Ragnow, Sr (unless he leaves or changes position)
    Rogers, So (could become starter with Ragnow moving out to guard or LT)

RG: Gibson, Jr ?

RT: Probably whoever doesn't win the LT job.

Other OL players who could be in two deep, Merrick and Malone, likely interior guys. Heinrich can play G or tackle. Hannah, Hall, and Sone are all pretty light right now. Could be swing tackles though.

DEFENSE:

DE: Beanum, Sr
     ???  (Lots of guys 280+, Only Beanum, Ramsey, and Roesler are at DE weights)

DT: Agin, So
      TJ Smith, So
      Dean, So
      Guidry, RFr

NT: Jackson, Sr
      Capps, So
      Watts, Jr
      Marshall, RFr

DE: Ramsey, Jr OR
       Roesler, Sr

SLB: Ramsey, Jr
        Hackett, Sr?

MLB: De'Jon Harris, So (with GL healthy, Scoota and him are the best two LB'ers, so he moves to MLB)
        Josh Harris, Jr

WLB: Greenlaw, Jr
         Eugene, Sr (good enough to take away snaps from Greenlaw and give rest)

(La France and AJB will be hard to keep off the two deep as well. One of them may take backup WLB with Eugene backing up the MLB and allowing Harris to rest)

CB: Pulley
      Dalton

CB: Toliver
      Tutt

SS: Lidell, Sr
      Coley, Sr

FS: Ramirez, Jr
      M. Smith, RFr

(KR3 will fit into the 2-deep as he'll be healthy again).

K: Hedlund, Jr

P: Johnson, So
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

QB and RB will be fine on offense. Plenty of talent at WR, but they'll be pretty green. Lots of TE's have gotten experience this year so that shouldn't be an area of concern at worst. Should continue to be a place of strength at best but we lack an upper classmen.

On the OL, our interior OL shouldn't change too much and should be very formidable. At tackle, with the exception of Ramirez, we are probably going to have both players be experienced. And Ramirez will be a Sr anyways, just not SEC experienced much. Regardless, the difference in OL play from 16-17 should be reminiscent of the improvement from 13-14.

On defense, CB will lack experienced depth, but the top two will be fine and there are exciting players behind them. At S, we don't lose anybody. I think Micah Smith will be the best of the group eventually. Liddell is fine, but seems to lack closing speed. Ramirez should begin to become one of the top 5 FS's in the SEC IMO.

LB looks exciting. We lose the experience of Ellis, but I think that frees us up to have a much more athletic group next year.

DT should be absolutely dominating for us. However, DE is a major concern right now. Either we will be playing 280+ pound DE's which even most 4-3 NFL teams don't use, we will downsize some of the other players, or we will need to get a JUCO or two. Probably a combo of the last two (also switching to 3-4 is an option).
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogz11 on November 26, 2016, 09:45:04 pm
Expect the JUCO TE Jeremy Patton to come in and compete for the TE1 job immediately.

Rumors are heating up that he ultimately won't sign here.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bennyl08

Expect the JUCO TE Jeremy Patton to come in and compete for the TE1 job immediately.

Yeah, didn't really look at new recruits in here. Could very well happen.

Lake City Hog

QB: Austin Allen, Sr (likely to go to NFL)
      Cole Kelly, RFr
      Ty Storey, So
       Ricky Town, So

RB: RW3, Jr
      Whaley, So (more experienced and even better)
      Hammonds, So

FB: Hayden Johnson, So (same as whaley)
      Kendrick Jackson, Jr (really an or with Hayden)

WR: Cornelius, Sr
       Stewart, So

WR: Jones, So OR
       Pettway, So.

TE: Cantrell, So
      O'Grady OR Gunter, So (early favorites for the second spot)
      Gragg and Bell, So and Kraus, Jr will also put up heavy fights.

LT: Jackson, Soph

LG: Froholdt, Jr
      Raulerson, Sr

C: Ragnow, Sr (Most NFL ready guy on the whole team)
    Rogers, So

RG: Gibson, Jr ?

RT: Wallace, Jr.

Other OL players who could be in two deep, Merrick and Malone, likely interior guys. Heinrich can play G or tackle. Hannah, Hall, and Sone are all pretty light right now. Could be swing tackles though.

DEFENSE:

DE: Beanum, Sr

DT: Agim, So
      TJ Smith, So
      Dean, So
      Guidry, RFr

NT: Jackson, Sr
      Capps, So
      Watts, Jr
      Marshall, RFr

DE: Ramsey, Jr OR
       Roesler, Sr

SLB: Ramsey, Jr
        Hackett, Sr?

MLB: De'Jon Harris, So
        Josh Harris, Jr

WLB: Greenlaw, Jr
         Eugene, Sr (good enough to take away snaps from Greenlaw and give rest)

CB: Pulley
      Dalton

CB: Toliver
      Tutt

SS: Lidell, Sr
      Coley, Sr

FS: Ramirez, Jr
      M. Smith, RFr

BigE_23

Can someone explain to me why Jamario Bell can't see the field on our crappy defense??

4* recruit that many schools were after. Size, speed, etc.

We have no pass rush, instead we bury him on the depth chart at TE??

AirWarren

Quote from: BigE_23 on November 26, 2016, 11:18:43 pm
Can someone explain to me why Jamario Bell can't see the field on our crappy defense??

4* recruit that many schools were after. Size, speed, etc.

We have no pass rush, instead we bury him on the depth chart at TE??

Say he is too thin

tophawg19

i wouldn't be totally shocked to see Agim drop weight and move back outside
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogman64

USC

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 26, 2016, 09:48:53 pm
QB and RB will be fine on offense. Plenty of talent at WR, but they'll be pretty green. Lots of TE's have gotten experience this year so that shouldn't be an area of concern at worst. Should continue to be a place of strength at best but we lack an upper classmen.

On the OL, our interior OL shouldn't change too much and should be very formidable. At tackle, with the exception of Ramirez, we are probably going to have both players be experienced. And Ramirez will be a Sr anyways, just not SEC experienced much. Regardless, the difference in OL play from 16-17 should be reminiscent of the improvement from 13-14.

On defense, CB will lack experienced depth, but the top two will be fine and there are exciting players behind them. At S, we don't lose anybody. I think Micah Smith will be the best of the group eventually. Liddell is fine, but seems to lack closing speed. Ramirez should begin to become one of the top 5 FS's in the SEC IMO.

LB looks exciting. We lose the experience of Ellis, but I think that frees us up to have a much more athletic group next year.

DT should be absolutely dominating for us. However, DE is a major concern right now. Either we will be playing 280+ pound DE's which even most 4-3 NFL teams don't use, we will downsize some of the other players, or we will need to get a JUCO or two. Probably a combo of the last two (also switching to 3-4 is an option).
You left off Taylor off At DE, and Deon Edwards at Safety. I don't see Ramirez making a decent SEC safety, Liddell maybe if he gets some dog in him.

I agree LB athleticism going to go way up.

longpig

Doubtful Storey will still be around and Town seems content to ride it out on the scout team.  Kelley could give AA a run for his money, considering all the picks and unnecessary sacks taken.
Don't be scared, be smart.

EastArkHog 47

And the d back's, safety's and linebackers will be just as slow next year as this year, why should we expect better results.

parallaxpig

You shore up O-line and offense will be fine.

Defense--same players with same coaches = same results. Some part of this equation has to change..........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Iwastherein1969

the Allen years at QB for Arkansas seem as though they will never end...time for the Hogs either to get a BIG ARMED QB or a legitimate DUAL THREAT QB...we're floating somewhere in between the two never really going forward nor backward....although yesterday at the QB position we took 3 steps back...but Allen was due for a bad game and came up with one at exactly the wrong time
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The_Iceman

Coke Kelley will be QB2, if not pushing for QB1 or QB1A.

RebelW

Remember we have the new JUCO DE Michael Taylor II. He's 250 lbs and runs like a 4.6

SCHawgfan

I think Agim moves to DE.  It seems to fit his skill set and we must get pressure on. The QB.

longpig

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 27, 2016, 04:37:57 am

Defense--same players with same coaches = same results. Some part of this equation has to change..........

Half or more of the two deep on defense will be new.
Don't be scared, be smart.

ckhawgu

So we'll have a cluster of five Sophomore tightends on the roster vying for playtime, wow! That is going to look great when we lose that bunch at one time to graduation. I hope they can find other places to put a couple of these guys into so they can find some spots for valuable playing time and will be able contribute over the next few years... 

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 27, 2016, 12:27:39 am
You left off Taylor off At DE, and Deon Edwards at Safety. I don't see Ramirez making a decent SEC safety, Liddell maybe if he gets some dog in him.

I agree LB athleticism going to go way up.

Who is Taylor? I left of Edwards because you can't list every single player out there. Admittedly, I did so for qb and such. But yeah, don't think he's in the two deep next season. Could be wrong.

bennyl08

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 11:25:04 pm
i wouldn't be totally shocked to see Agim drop weight and move back outside

He could, but I think he's a better DT than a DE. IMO, he can be an elite, Aaron Donald, Geno Atkins style DT. Don't think he'll get much faster by dropping 20 pounds (other players like TJ Smith might). Agim's just as quick with the weight as without. He could be a solid and good DE for us, but I don't think he'll be as good on the outside as a bequette or a flowers. But, I'm not a football coach. Time will tell.

bennyl08

Quote from: longpig on November 27, 2016, 12:35:53 am
Doubtful Storey will still be around and Town seems content to ride it out on the scout team.  Kelley could give AA a run for his money, considering all the picks and unnecessary sacks taken.

We'll see. Storey has the arm strength and footwork to compete with anybody in the country. However, he still has the deer in the headlights look to him. So we are still waiting on him to lose the small school shock and own that he is an SEC qb. Physical talent wise though, wouldn't trade him for anybody else. Town is in a similar position it seems but for different reasons. Bit weaker of an arm than Storey, but with amazing zip and pinpoint accuracy. Don't think the game is too fast for him like it appears to be for Storey, but he needs to put in the effort. Kelley certainly has the coaches eye. He's got arm talent like Storey but mentally based on the fall practice it seems like he is above and beyond anybody else other than Austin.

However, history and probability would not suggest he would be any better at picks or sacks than Austin. Strong armed qb's almost always are more pick happy than qb's with weaker arms because they trust they can throw the ball into tighter windows. Further, Kelley isn't super athletic. Less so than Austin. But he is big and tall. I mean, think Mallett, Flacco, Stafford, etc... with him. Those types like to stand in the pocket until the last second and deliver a bomb. If Austin was struggling making the passes, Kelley would be a threat to take his job. Picks and sacks simply come with the territory of stronger armed qb's who want to win. IF Kelley is somehow able to be better at that than Austin, then he'll be a top 3 draft pick because that is extremely rare.

bennyl08

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on November 27, 2016, 04:29:12 am
And the d back's, safety's and linebackers will be just as slow next year as this year, why should we expect better results.

LB'ers won't be. Safeties will be more experienced and can react faster. Ramirez is plenty SEC fast. We thought Liddell would be and he's probably faster than Gains or Turner were, but he doesn't great closing speed. Pulley is one of the best corners in the league, behind only LSU's top corner for passes defensed. And Toliver is a huge playmaker who gets sacks, forced fumbles, and so on.

bennyl08

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 27, 2016, 04:37:57 am

Not true. 2015 was the same secondary as 2014 with the same coaches. Did not get the same results.

bennyl08

Quote from: RebelW on November 27, 2016, 07:22:31 am
Remember we have the new JUCO DE Michael Taylor II. He's 250 lbs and runs like a 4.6

Didn't include anybody currently committed to us yet.

bennyl08

Quote from: ckhawgu on November 27, 2016, 12:58:01 pm
So we'll have a cluster of five Sophomore tightends on the roster vying for playtime, wow! That is going to look great when we lose that bunch at one time to graduation. I hope they can find other places to put a couple of these guys into so they can find some spots for valuable playing time and will be able contribute over the next few years...

Considering that we use the TE position a lot, and frequently have at least 2 on the field, it is great to have a strong group of TE's. If things continue to progress, whoever is at the front of the pack next season could very well declare early as a TE to the NFL. Further, it isn't like we haven't kept adding new TE's to the list.

ckhawgu

Right on! You never know how that will play out just surprised that we have that many in the same class at the same position. I'm sure we'll adjust somehow as the forthcoming seasons move forward!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 27, 2016, 05:07:33 pm
Didn't include anybody currently committed to us yet.
I know this is old, but Taylor is already on campus. He got here back in august
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

KillerK4

QB- Austin Allen, Cole Kelley
RB- Rawleigh Williams, Devwah Whaley
FB- Hayden Johnson, Kendrick Jackson
WR- Jared Cornelius, Jordan Jones
WR- Lamichael Pettway, Deon Stewart
TE- Austin Cantrell, CJ OGrady
LT- Frank Ragnow, Kirby Adcock
LG- Hjalte Froholdt, Paul Rameriz
C - Zach Rogers, Jake Raulerson
RG- Johnny Gibson, Jalen Merrick
RT- Brian Wallace, Colton Jackson

DE- Tevin Beanum, Karl Roessler
DT- Bijohn Jackson, Armon Watts
NG- Austin Capps, Briston Guidry
DE- McTelvin Agim, Jonathan Marshall
WLB- Dre Greenlaw, Dwayne Eugene
MLB- Dejon Harris, Giovanni Lafrance
SLB- Randy Ramsey, Alexy Jean-Baptiste
CB- Henre Tolliver, Britto Tutt
FS- Montaric Brown, Josh Liddell
SS- Santos Rameriz, Deon Edwards
CB- Ryan Pulley, Kevin Richardson

K - Cole Hedlund

P - Blake Johnson

KR - TJ Hammonds, Jarrod Barnes

PR - Jared Cornelius, Jarrod Barnes

colbs

I figure Patton will start next year at TE.

yraciv

Do people really think AA will go pro? To play on a practice squad like his brother? He needs another year of tape, and if he goes out this year he'll be a late round pick. I've got to think he wants to spend his SR year as the QB for the one team he has rooted for his entire life.

bennyl08

Quote from: yraciv on December 09, 2016, 04:58:03 pm
Do people really think AA will go pro? To play on a practice squad like his brother? He needs another year of tape, and if he goes out this year he'll be a late round pick. I've got to think he wants to spend his SR year as the QB for the one team he has rooted for his entire life.

Yes, I feel very confident that AA will go pro. But not this year. Don't see anybody in this thread saying they think he is going to leave this season.

bennyl08

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 09, 2016, 07:39:12 am
I know this is old, but Taylor is already on campus. He got here back in august

That's right. He came here very late and with little fanfare. I had completely forgotten about him. Thank you for the correction.