Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When we hired Bielema

Started by HoopS, November 26, 2016, 08:36:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

When we hired Bielema, I quickly jumped on board because we had hired someone who we thought would put a real emphasis on DEFENSE.

To me, I was excited because I felt like we would finally realize how important D is and would surely get better and better under him.

We may well have the worst DEFENSE I can remember.

This is not what we signed up for.

Bubba's Bruisers

It's worse than anything previous coaches fielded.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 08:39:04 pm
It's worse than anything previous coaches fielded.

Willy Robinson was better, Seriously!
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoopS on November 26, 2016, 08:36:46 pm
When we hired Bielema, I quickly jumped on board because we had hired someone who we thought would put a real emphasis on DEFENSE.

To me, I was excited because I felt like we would finally realize how important D is and would surely get better and better under him.

Agreed. For reasons I can't understand, we have become soft.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 08:40:31 pm

Well, not much.  It is ironic, though, with all the "Petrino didn't care about defense." crowd.  BB had a good defense in 2014 as a result of a handful of NFL caliber players.  Players that BB didn't recruit.  Been falling like a rock ever since those players left.  Nothing to replace them.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

PorkRinds

I agree. My biggest disappointment with coach B is that he's a defensive guy. He should have had this worked out by now and have a defense that's at least not embarrassing.

onebadrubi

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 08:40:31 pm

He was notorious for making great half time changes also

passinghog

This. Was. The. Worst. Defense. In. School. History.

Unless someone shows stats that show otherwise...

When you're a HC, the side of the ball you have a background in should always be above average or better.

If you're a defensive minded HC, there's no reason to not expect your defense will keep you in games, no matter what the other side of the ball is doing; the same goes for an offensive minded HC, they'll win a shootout or two every season based on the offense being competitive.

Our defense was WAC caliber, returned a lot of starters, and we can't even blame it on injuries.

HoopS

TheEnemy

Quote from: HoopS on November 26, 2016, 08:36:46 pm

Same for me.   :'(

TheEnemy

Quote from: HoopS on November 26, 2016, 08:56:31 pm
So where do we go from here?

Hopefully we hire an aggressive DC that knows how to defend the spread and we go on the attack on defense.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Showtimehog on November 26, 2016, 08:54:19 pm

This. Was. The. Worst. Defense. In. School. History.

There is no way to spin this.  Bielema has been a total, dismal, pitiful failure in regard to our defense.  And yet, there are morons that state he has been an adequate coach.  He hasn't. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HoopS on November 26, 2016, 08:56:31 pm
So where do we go from here?

I'm hopeful the current freshman defensive class is a good start.  On paper, it looks like his best.  Especially the front 7.  DB was weak, but the current unsigned class is showing some promise.

cosmodrum

Same here. I thought we'd finally have a solid defense to pair with a good OL and run game. I just thought we'd be fundamentally sound across the board.

Whoopsy daisy.
Go away, batin'

WilsonHog

The key piece of information I need is whether this is Bret's defense or Smith's defense. If this was Bret's defense, it won't matter much who replaces Smith.

HoopS

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 26, 2016, 09:07:57 pm
The key piece of information I need is whether this is Bret's defense or Smith's defense. If this was Bret's defense, it won't matter much who replaces Smith.
exactly.

AirWarren

He isn't going anywhere for at least 2 years.

Unless he leaves. Y'all might as well get used to him and hope he gets it turned around instead of continuing to Jizz about Bobby. He is gone.

And Arkansas is a stepping stone. No big name like Urban Meyer, Harbaugh, Saban, etc will ever come here. We are not that kind of program. 

theFlyingHog

Yup. That's the hinge for me. If BB has been calling the shots then we be screwed

26.2Hog

The worst defense in school history.  And we're looking for ownership?  Look no further than Bret Bielema. 

LZH

I think it would be a safe bet to say the coordinators coach how he wants them to coach.

26.2Hog

Quote from: AP85 on November 26, 2016, 09:14:19 pm
He isn't going anywhere for at least 2 years.

Unless he leaves. Y'all might as well get used to him and hope he gets it turned around instead of continuing to Jizz about Bobby. He is gone.

And Arkansas is a stepping stone. No big name like Urban Meyer, Harbaugh, Saban, etc will ever come here. We are not that kind of program.

Arkansas has never been a stepping stone.  Name one head coach that has used Arkansas has a stepping stone for a better job. 

AirWarren

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 26, 2016, 09:18:53 pm
Arkansas has never been a stepping stone.  Name one head coach that has used Arkansas has a stepping stone for a better job.
We are a stepping stone. We are not a big boy program. 

Atlhogfan1

Bowden Wyatt.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

my3boneheads

I'm just trying to figure out why we consider ourselves a run first team when we seem to always panic and air the ball out.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 26, 2016, 09:22:45 pm
Bowden Wyatt.

You had to go back 65 years ago for that, but well played nevertheless.   ;D

WilsonHog

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2016, 09:17:21 pm
I think it would be a safe bet to say the coordinators coach how he wants them to coach.

That's what scares me.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: AP85 on November 26, 2016, 09:21:10 pm

It isn't because it is too risky of a job. Holtz fired. Hatfield went to an easier place to recruit and win. Crowe fired. Ford fired. Nutt escaped although really fired. Petrino fired but we know not because of on field. Doubt Bielema gets a better job out of this.  He needs to find his escape.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 26, 2016, 08:43:18 pm
Agreed. For reasons I can't understand, we have become soft.

Soft and slow as molasses

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 26, 2016, 09:25:51 pm
You had to go back 65 years ago for that, but well played nevertheless.   ;D

Was a reach. Shows it isn't a stepping stone.  Coaches have to recover their careers from us.

porkrindjimmy

I went to Bret and said I would like to blitz right here and Bret said go for it.

This little exchange told me Bret is calling the shots on D.

PRJ

26.2Hog

Like I said, name one head coach, in the last 65 years that has used Arkansas as a stepping stone.  You won't, because you can't.  Arkansas is NOT a stepping stone.

go hogues

For assistants, absolutely. Not so sure about head coaches though.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

26.2Hog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 26, 2016, 09:27:01 pm
Soft and slow as molasses

Slow, no doubt.

And I'll go ahead and say this.  I think Beliema is a soft coach.  I think he runs a soft camp and soft practices.  And I think it shows up in games. 

Just about every other SEC team is much more physical than we are.  The most physical players we have are wide receivers and running backs. 

Hawgzinbowlz

We are financially tied to CBB for at least 2 more years. I hope he hires a new DC, gives him room to coach and recruits average SEC players for both sides of the ball.

Handing off a healthy program is the best CBB can do...We're seeing what he's putting on the field...And it's inadequate.

" GO HOGS "

hogginbama

DBs getting beat all the time. Many are saying Rhoades is the DC in waiting.....is he not the one coaching the DBs?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Bubba's Bruisers

We just haven't hired anyone worthy of stepping up.  Those that were good enough were shown the door early...Holtz and Petrino come to mind.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 26, 2016, 09:28:53 pm
Like I said, name one head coach, in the last 65 years that has used Arkansas as a stepping stone.  You won't, because you can't.  Arkansas is NOT a stepping stone.

The overarching point is the we are not a destination job for anyone worth a crap.

AirWarren

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 09:47:35 pm
The overarching point is the we are not a destination job for anyone worth a crap.

Glad someone gets it.

RazorbackToTheFuture

Malzahn.  I don't like him but you said name a head coach that used us.  Didn't clarify if you meant head coach here or now.

Petrino would've but he got caught after getting his ass whipped by the fiancé.

You could argue Nutt did seeing how he got paid double to leave.

Hell thats just in the last 10 years.

LZH

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 26, 2016, 09:26:12 pm
That's what scares me.

Makes me wonder did he really run those defenses at KSU and Wisconsin? How does a guy score a good HC job like Wisconsin by making his reputation on defensive prowess get to the SEC and totally whiff on that side of the ball?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 09:46:22 pm
We just haven't hired anyone worthy of stepping up.  Those that were good enough were shown the door early...Holtz and Petrino come to mind.

Petrino's buyout was gonna keep most away at least until 2016

DLUXHOG

Lou Holtz
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2016, 09:59:16 pm
Makes me wonder did he really run those defenses at KSU and Wisconsin? How does a guy score a good HC job like Wisconsin by making his reputation on defensive prowess get to the SEC and totally whiff on that side of the ball?

I'd like to hear your theory as to how he pulled off faking everyone out while coming up th coaching ladder.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: DLUXHOG on November 26, 2016, 10:00:32 pm
Lou Holtz

Holtz was run off after a disappointing year. Run off to Minnesota of all places. That was a step down

3kgthog

All programs were a stepping stone at some point before one special coach turned them into a consistent winner.

But if we're not even going to try to be great, lower ticket prices to $15, fire BB, get a coach for $300K, and say the hell with it. Sink the leftover cash into upgrading other sports and their facilities.

Danny J

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2016, 09:17:21 pm
Correct...he is calling the defense within the confines of what CBB has laid out for him.

Danny J

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 26, 2016, 09:27:40 pm
I went to Bret and said I would like to blitz right here and Bret said go for it.

This little exchange told me Bret is calling the shots on D.

PRJ
HA!!! You beat me to it. This ^^^ happened during the CBB show after the Ole miss game. It was in the film rewind on Ole Miss' last drive when we sacked Kelly putting them in 4th and long. Brett said and I quote "Coach Smith came to me and said I would really like to blitz here and I said ok"...

Bret is running the D. Whomever Bret hires will run exactly what Bret wants. Remember Bret's philosophy is ALL about shortening the game. He wants to control TOP but also wants the game shortened. He doesn't want our offense struggling to come from behind. His record once we go down 14-0 is something like 2% chance of winning and that goes back to Wisconsin.

Playing bend but don't break D doesn't work too well when A...you can't tackle...B...you can't keep contain...you can't get pressure on the opposing QB.

IronHog

https://youtu.be/mLgeflkKPCs

You can see Smiths D and Chris Ash D in this video

Amazing how much Smith looks like Ash now 🤔
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Danny J

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2016, 09:59:16 pm
Alvarez was able to do to Bret what Frank did to Houston...control. Bret is now not only in charge of building it from the ground up, all alone, but trying to do it in the SEC with no Alvarez to "help him".

IronHog

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 26, 2016, 09:36:22 pm
Slow, no doubt.

And I'll go ahead and say this.  I think Beliema is a soft coach.  I think he runs a soft camp and soft practices.  And I think it shows up in games. 

Just about every other SEC team is much more physical than we are.  The most physical players we have are wide receivers and running backs. 

Arkansas was very physical in 2014-15

BB has run out of BPs hardened players
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.