Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do we recruit our way out of this???????

Started by Tweeter, November 26, 2016, 08:22:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

You still needed to look at the current recruiting rankings to see what has become the norm at Arkansas since America was desegregated?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HF#1

Arkansas can never recruit their way out of anything. We have to develop and coach our way into the top tier before we can recruit our way there.

It's a lot like basketball, where we need a string of seasons where we make the tournament, we need a streak of 9-10 win seasons. Winning cures everything.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 27, 2016, 04:26:10 pm
Consolidation would have to happen to even have a start with this and Arkansas won't do it. The state has what 32 teams combined in its largest divisions and nearly a 100 in each of its smaller divisions?

Way too many small districts trying to play football. I worked a scrimmage in August and one of the teams had 12 players. Our crew said they'd be lucky to make it to game 2, well they actually made it through game 2 then forfeited the rest of the season due to two players being hurt. 200+ HS football teams in AR.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on November 28, 2016, 08:48:40 am
Arkansas can never recruit their way out of anything. We have to develop and coach our way into the top tier before we can recruit our way there.

It's a lot like basketball, where we need a string of seasons where we make the tournament, we need a streak of 9-10 win seasons. Winning cures everything.

yet after back to back 10+ win seasons in 10 & 11 the Hogs signed a below average recruiting class.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HF#1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 08:53:37 am
yet after back to back 10+ win seasons in 10 & 11 the Hogs signed a below average recruiting class.

Well our coach at that time was known for having complete failures for recruiting classes. He won all his games here with that 08 class. I would also add that I think it is obvious his focus wasn't on recruiting or winning games, not entirely anyway.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

wachhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 26, 2016, 09:09:13 pm
and he went 10-3 and 11-2. 

I will give you this, UF is a head scratcher.  We had 4 losses this year by blow out margins and one to Missouri.  I'm not saying Bielema is a bad hire but it appears he's made some poor choices in his hires.
Since it is his job to hire, then he's a bad hire. Any way you cut it, he has not done a good job at anything.

hogsanity

For all of the " we need to cheat in recruiting because everyone else is " people, how would we out cheat Bama/lsu/a&m etc?

Pork Twain

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2016, 09:15:46 am
For all of the " we need to cheat in recruiting because everyone else is " people, how would we out cheat Bama/lsu/a&m etc?
We are going to start doing something they have been doing for decades and nobody is going to notice?  We are going to just automatically be great at it and not make any mistakes?  The entire country will not look at us the same way they look at ole Miss?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

thefisher

Quote from: Surfing8 on November 27, 2016, 12:42:53 am
This gets old.

Black athletes from TX go to:
OU
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Nebraska
Missouri
Colorado
Wyoming
Montana
...and a whole lot of other "white" places.

If you want to see "white" go through the MSP airport in the winter.  Those people are practically glowing.

Arkansas has a STRONG history of getting great athletes from Texas.

It's a weak excuse.

Guys from Texas high schools going to any of those universities did not have offers from Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, or probably even Texas Tech or Houston as options. The only exception on that list would occasionally be OU.

Here is the question no coach at Arkansas has ever answered ... not Nutt, CBP, CBB ... no one.

Let's say you have a 5 star linebacker that has a choice to play for multi time national champs Bama .... or to live 20 minutes from the beach where there is no real winter and the girls are in bikinis almost year round at Florida State .... or Arkansas where you can see the home of Walmart, Tyson's and eat at the Catfish Hole.

What 18 year old would ever choose Fayetteville over Florida State, Bama, etc.  Very, very few if they have those type options on the table.

What exact and specific angle can you share with that 18 year old to make his decision be Arkansas?

Well ... what would you offer to make Arkansas more attractive than those other options?

It doesn't matter how much we pay ANY coach to recruit ... THIS is the fundamental problem. This specific problem is bigger than people. It is an inherent factor of the schools location.  You can pretend that fact isn't there ... but it is. Recruiting analytics further show it to be a fact no one has yet found a solution to solve. Fayetteville is lovely ... but compared to other options the top athletes have on the table .... not so much.

Why would guys date the "homely" sister that he rates as a 6 star when the smoking hot sister he rates as a 9.5 star really, really wants him?

There is ZERO to attract a recruit to Fayetteville if he has other high level offers on the table.  Play at USC (beaches & babes) , Florida State (beaches & babes) , Bama (championships & NFL careers in their lifetime), or Arkansas .... where folks are reliving CFB "glory days", lying unethical coaches have had to be fired, Tyson's abounds, Walmart & The Catfish Hole are waiting for you.

Were you ever 18? ..... Where would you have chosen if given those type of options?
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Pork Twain

Quote from: thefisher on November 28, 2016, 10:53:00 am
Guys from Texas high schools going to any of those universities did not have offers from Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, or probably even Texas Tech or Houston as options. The only exception on that list would occasionally be OU.

Here is the question no coach at Arkansas has ever answered ... not Nutt, CBP, CBB ... no one.

Let's say you have a 5 star linebacker that has a choice to play for multi time national champs Bama .... or to live 20 minutes from the beach where there is no real winter and the girls are in bikinis almost year round at Florida State .... or Arkansas where you can see the home of Walmart, Tyson's and eat at the Catfish Hole.

What 18 year old would ever choose Fayetteville over Florida State, Bama, etc.  Very, very few if they have those type options on the table.

What exact and specific angle can you share with that 18 year old to make his decision be Arkansas?

Well ... what would you offer to make Arkansas more attractive than those other options?

It doesn't matter how much we pay ANY coach to recruit ... THIS is the fundamental problem. This specific problem is bigger than people. It is an inherent factor of the schools location.  You can pretend that fact isn't there ... but it is. Recruiting analytics further show it to be a fact no one has yet found a solution to solve. Fayetteville is lovely ... but compared to other options the top athletes have on the table .... not so much.

Why would guys date the "homely" sister that he rates as a 6 star when the smoking hot sister he rates as a 9.5 star really, really wants him?

There is ZERO to attract a recruit to Fayetteville if he has other high level offers on the table.  Play at USC (beaches & babes) , Florida State (beaches & babes) , Bama (championships & NFL careers in their lifetime), or Arkansas .... where folks are reliving CFB "glory days", lying unethical coaches have had to be fired, Tyson's abounds, Walmart & The Catfish Hole are waiting for you.

Were you ever 18? ..... Where would you have chosen if given those type of options?

NONE

Having lived all over the world, I cannot imagine why any highly recruited athlete would want to go to NWA.  I mean I would like to retire there one day but my retirement plans should have very different goals than a 16-18 year olds college goals.

hogsanity

Quote from: thefisher on November 28, 2016, 10:53:00 am

thats just an excuse. Just gotta get kids and coaches that want it enough and they will win.

Youngsta71701

Recruit speed first at all positions except DL and OL.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

nwahogfan1

Speed, athleticism with football smarts.  Called evaluation. We will never get our share of the 4\5 star kids so we have to out work them and out smart the competition.

scorekeeper

Recruit guys that make the guys around them better. This doesn't mean we need all five star recruits. A mobile qb makes the oline better because he hides some of the deficiencies.

Offense:
1. A guy like Matt Jones - he can make plays both ways.
2. A dual-threat guy like Joe Adams or Percy Harvin - another big playmaker that presents problems for the defense...linebackers are too slow to cover him.
3. A tight end like Sprinkle - to faster than linebackers and too big for corners he wins the jump ball and covers for some of the problems that the qb has with accuracy.
4. Two big wide receivers on the edge - they win the jump ball and should be a force in blocking down field. 
5. A speed guy in slot - linebacker can't cover and a safety would have to help.
6. A 4 or 5 star RB - with excellent vision that can make the first guy miss and has the ability to punish most linebackers.

Then find 5 guys on the offensive line that have a good mean streak.

12 recruits on offense

Defense:
We have to get in the habit of redshirting freshmen. We have to recruit athletic guys...plenty of speed.
DE - Speed we can bulk them up as needed
DT - Mountains keep the guards and centers off our linebackers
LB - Speed & sure tacklers
CB - Speed and physical guys...remember Chris Houston
S - Speed, sure tacklers, and ball hawks.

13 recruits on defense.

Special teams would rarely be offered a scholarship up front. They will have to prove it first.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

HawgTrough

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 28, 2016, 08:45:12 am
You still needed to look at the current recruiting rankings to see what has become the norm at Arkansas since America was desegregated?
just making sure everyone was well aware that "we" aren't recruiting out of anything other than bowl contention.
WPS