Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where do we start?

Started by Boles Hog, November 26, 2016, 06:59:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boles Hog

I'm not sure where to begin...... I don't know whether is it talent, coaching, or both....but, something has got to be done with defense......  We are historically bad!

Other than the Florida game, we haven't been able to stop the run (particularly the quarterback) and yesterday it looked like that Missouri's receivers were being defended by air.... How can we be that bad?  How can our tacking be so bad?

Somebody please talk me off the ledge!

PorkRinds

I really thought it was running QB's that were our krypronite. After yesterday I realize that qB's in general are our kryptonite. If the other team has one we will likely lose.

mckinneyhog5

A lot of bad defenses out there in college. Not excusing ours but I watch a lot of CFB and I see bad ones 90% of the games I watch.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Boles Hog

You know.... I think the most frustrating part is watching a safety come up on a play and just whiff on the tackle attempt.  We have got to upgrade at that position. 

Speed on defense as a whole is nonexistent. 

hogsanity

until the back 7 improves, the defense will continue to be bad. They are slow so they try to guess and they get out of position constantly. The db's never turn and look for the ball because they are trying to catch up.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

VenturaHog

In college football its all about 2 things

1. Coaching
2. QB play

hogsanity

Quote from: VenturaHog on November 26, 2016, 07:51:48 pm
In college football its all about 2 things

1. Coaching
2. QB play

Defense wins titles.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boles Hog

We hear all the time about being physical on offense....why can't we be physical on defense?  The two biggest hits that I can think of this year were both penalties.  Cooley against A&M and Ole Miss.......

hogsanity

Quote from: Boles Hog on November 26, 2016, 08:11:09 pm
We hear all the time about being physical on offense....why can't we be physical on defense?  The two biggest hits that I can think of this year were both penalties.  Cooley against A&M and Ole Miss.......

i'm watching fla fsu and the lb and db play is what you have to have, fast and can hit.

streitenberger

One of the constant complaints here is that the defensive backs don't even turn around to see wth is going on half the time. Another complaint often read here is that our safeties not only whiff on tackle attempts but lack awareness.  But the consensus is that if we hire a DC from within, it has to be Paul Rhodes. Our defensive backs coach. WTH?

Sooie71923

Need jimmies and joes, but being Arkansas, Jimmies and joes are hard to get every year.

LRHawg

Early on we did hit hard ... And were flagged for it repeatedly. right or not, the big hits stopped.

hogsanity

Quote from: LRHawg on November 26, 2016, 08:17:37 pm
Early on we did hit hard ... And were flagged for it repeatedly. right or not, the big hits stopped.

how many targeting calls did the HOGS get called on them this year?

Boles Hog

I'll just say this.....form tackling is a lost art!

Pig In The City

By firing the DC and DL coach. And that would just get me started. The DL'S failure to generate any pass rush all season placed to much pressure on a weak secondary. I would f&$!?% clean house on the defensive side of the ball!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2016, 07:01:17 pm
I really thought it was running QB's that were our krypronite. After yesterday I realize that qB's in general are our kryptonite. If the other team has one we will likely lose.

DING
DING
DING

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Boles Hog on November 26, 2016, 06:59:31 pm
I'm not sure where to begin...... I don't know whether is it talent, coaching, or both....but, something has got to be done with defense......  We are historically bad!

Other than the Florida game, we haven't been able to stop the run (particularly the quarterback) and yesterday it looked like that Missouri's receivers were being defended by air.... How can we be that bad?  How can our tacking be so bad?

It's both.  Need better of both.  Especially talent.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Danny J

Quote from: hogsanity on November 26, 2016, 07:54:42 pm
Defense wins titles.
Yep...defense fills trophy cases and offense fills seats.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hogsanity on November 26, 2016, 07:54:42 pm
Defense wins titles.
And 10% of the teams in the NCAA have a legit shot every year of winning it and they still need a little luck to do it.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

who knows

We make every QB look like a Heisman finalists...
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

cosmodrum

Historically bad lol. Are you 3 years old?
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2016, 07:01:17 pm

No joke. If their QB is competent, we are in trouble.
Go away, batin'

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Boles Hog on November 26, 2016, 06:59:31 pm

Where do we start? Realistic Expectations. You have to walk before you run.

Kevin

speed on defense
the ability to tackle in space
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Sooie71923

Blaming lack of dline penetration on the dline coach is ridiculous.

He's not on the field. if a player is blocked, held, or just fails at getting past the oline, how is that the coaches fault? 

Most of the posters on here are just looking for somebody to blame, fire or criticize. And when the players can't get the job done they're quick to blame the coach.

i bet most of y'all are the same parents who blame the teacher for your child's bad grades...

Boles Hog

Quote from: cosmodrum on November 27, 2016, 02:05:48 am
Historically bad lol. Are you 3 years old?

Uh no..... My first game was the Big Shootout, when I was 7 years old!  So yes, I've seen a few games.  Maybe, it was a little hyperbole.....but this defense is as bad as I have ever seen.  We can't or won't tackle.

gawntrail

We need to implement a mentor/monitor plan and recruit into the gray areas a bit more.  We need aggressive and talented kids who will bust somebody in the mouth when need be.  We're far too domesticated.  I doubt we could clean out the chemistry lab at this point.  Risk/reward.  And it's not all or nothing.  Nobody is suggesting setting up a UofA State Penitentiary program.  Just some young men who have talent and can be worked with to both improve our program and provide them a better opportunity. 

Hit the JuCos hard.

Increase the tempo and full go sessions in practice.  Our physicality and fundamentals suck. 

elksnort

Believe it or not one really good linebacker would have changed the complexity of our defense this season. And I don't mean the young man that got hurt I'm talking somebody really good

LZH

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 27, 2016, 08:22:48 am
Blaming lack of dline penetration on the dline coach is ridiculous.

He's not on the field. if a player is blocked, held, or just fails at getting past the oline, how is that the coaches fault? 

Most of the posters on here are just looking for somebody to blame, fire or criticize. And when the players can't get the job done they're quick to blame the coach.

i bet most of y'all are the same parents who blame the teacher for your child's bad grades...

Yeah the kids should just coach themselves...since coaching doesn't matter.

Never played ball, eh?

longpig

That Mizzou pass protection is one of the best in the conference and country and Drew Lock is a good QB with a cannon.  Getting beat by their passing game for 28 is nothing to be embarrassed about.  Being held to 24 total and 0 in the 2nd half by that horrible defense is.  CRS had his bad showings this season, but the Mizzou game wasn't one of them.  Blame Enos for this one.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hawgmasta

Quote from: elksnort on November 27, 2016, 09:09:23 am
Believe it or not one really good linebacker would have changed the complexity of our defense this season. And I don't mean the young man that got hurt I'm talking somebody really good

Even next year, we'll have Agim on the line. If we can get a spaight type performance at lb we could improve dramatically. If that actually happens we shall see.

Sooie71923

Quote from: LZH on November 27, 2016, 09:13:04 am
Yeah the kids should just coach themselves...since coaching doesn't matter.

Never played ball, eh?

i didnt say coaching didnt matter. good coaching + decent-ok talent = decent-ok results. i played ball. and i sucked. i did what the coaches asked. i went to practice. but i just didnt have the ability to win every battle. i didnt blame the coaches because i didnt have talent. i did my best.

a coach can coach his butt off everyday in practice and players can still lay an egg during the game. players make plays. you can lead a horse to water....

Redhogs

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 26, 2016, 07:05:45 pm
A lot of bad defenses out there in college. Not excusing ours but I watch a lot of CFB and I see bad ones 90% of the games I watch.
Except for the winners. I see a trend there......
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?