Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it even too late for a new DC?

Started by DoubleReedHawgCaller, November 26, 2016, 06:51:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoubleReedHawgCaller

I know we all want to see changes made to the defensive staff but is it too late for that with just how awful we've been these last two seasons? Is the writing still on the wall for CBB wether he makes changes or not? Would like some real opinions on this. I most people like to see change when things look bad but I'm not so sure it'll save his job in the end anyway.  It's definitely going to take time for whomever replaces our DC and I'm not so sure it's going to be enough time. I'm by no means saying we should keep RS but I'm not so sure that the tipping point hasn't already came and gone for CBB to rectify this for his on sake.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Sooie71923

Blah blah blah

Is it too late to realize we don't have sec players on defense yet fans expect sec results!

The Kig

Some seem to think so, but I don't see how he doesn't at least try someone new at DC.  It's not like we can be any worse, it it? 

If the coaching carousel presents a decent option, I don't see why a coach wouldn't take the chance.  Even if they assume CBB is gone in two years when his contract is up, it's pretty easy to show significant improvement statistically over one of the worst run Defenses in history.  Not bad resume fodder...
Poker Porker

HOGINTENNESSEE

What? Did you miss LSU, Auburn and A&M all get big time DC's with hot seas coaches?

The only difference is they are will to play a DC double what we are

The Kig

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 26, 2016, 06:53:25 pm
Blah blah blah

Is it too late to realize we don't have sec players on defense yet fans expect sec results!

Don't be retarded.   It doesn't take SEC caliber players to beat Misery.  They lost to Middle TN State...guessing they don't have SEC players.
Poker Porker

Martygit

Yes, it's too late for a new DC this year - hell, we've only got the bowl game to go - is it too late for one next year? No!! and, my guess is that regardless of what BB is saying now, we'll have one next year
RIP OTR, REV

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: MartinGit on November 26, 2016, 07:01:56 pm
Yes, it's too late for a new DC this year - hell, we've only got the bowl game to go - is it too late for one next year? No!! and, my guess is that regardless of what BB is saying now, we'll have one next year
I'm not so sure that with how horrific we've been on defense this year that a DC is going to save him anyway. It's going to have to be one hell of a hire to keep him here and history says it's not going to happen.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

tophawg19

Florida begs to differ about Arkansas not having SEC talent . we just don't have coaching to bring it out
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The Kig on November 26, 2016, 07:01:41 pm
Don't be retarded.   It doesn't take SEC caliber players to beat Misery.  They lost to Middle TN State...guessing they don't have SEC players.

So true.  As much as so many want to blame BP for the defense, BB gets to own this abomination.  He's had 3.5 of his own recruiting classes.  Enough to at least be competent on defense.  Competent as in average.  Just average.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

reddogjcss

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 07:10:15 pm
Florida begs to differ about Arkansas not having SEC talent . we just don't have coaching to bring it out

Our defense has always looked awesome against teams that don't field a QB.  It's why we beat FL, TX, and LSU in the last few years.  Things get real simple when not having to account for an opposing QB. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

jjdlc

People thought CBB couldn't improve on offense, and Enos impact was near instant.  A DC willing to call a defense that plays to our strengths, and helps minimize our weaknesses could improve things quickly. Smith seems more determined to beat his head against a wall.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: The Kig on November 26, 2016, 07:01:41 pm
True. I'm willing to bet Vandy doesn't have a bunch of SEC caliber players on defense but they play discipline.

tophawg19

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 07:18:09 pm
Our defense has always looked awesome against teams that don't field a QB.  It's why we beat FL, TX, and LSU in the last few years.  Things get real simple when not having to account for an opposing QB. 
wasn't to simple , all those teams have had good records and been highly ranked . so their qb and  team had to be good enough . Florida is playing in the SEC Championship
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Kig

Quote from: jjdlc on November 26, 2016, 07:20:53 pm
People thought CBB couldn't improve on offense, and Enos impact was near instant.  A DC willing to call a defense that plays to our strengths, and helps minimize our weaknesses could improve things quickly. Smith seems more determined to beat his head against a wall.

Exactly.   It's not as if it's a very high bar to step over.  We could probably leave it vacant and not be any worse.  We were last in the country in defensive rushing yds/attempt.  Only place to go is up...
Poker Porker

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 07:29:42 pm
wasn't to simple , all those teams have had good records and been highly ranked . so their qb and  team had to be good enough . Florida is playing in the SEC Championship

Yes, FL and TX are good.  No way.  We have more business playing in the SECCG than FL does.  And we're a Mediocre 7-5 team.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Sooie71923 on November 26, 2016, 06:53:25 pm
Blah blah blah

So who's responsible for that?

Bubba's Bruisers

coolhog

Smith is CBB buddy, he won't fire no matter how awful he is.

PorkRinds

Quote from: coolhog on November 26, 2016, 07:37:02 pm
Smith is CBB buddy, he won't fire no matter how awful he is.

Since when are they buddies?

Danny J

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 07:35:37 pm
Petrino
I agree...its definitely Petrino's fault for what the lack of players he didn't recruit back in 2012 and the player attrition during what was it the 2011 class? I mean those 6th year seniors would have helped us get over the hump against Mizzou. So it is for sure Bobby's fault.

We are getting a new DC...I would put money on it. Any takers just fess up and send me a PM. I would guess its Paul Rhoads. I would also guess we replace Segrest. We need to hire a full time ST coach as well.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Danny J on November 26, 2016, 07:42:59 pm
I agree...its definitely Petrino's fault for what the lack of players he didn't recruit back in 2012 and the player attrition during what was it the 2011 class? I mean those 6th year seniors would have helped us get over the hump against Mizzou. So it is for sure Bobby's fault.

We are getting a new DC...I would put money on it. Any takers just fess up and send me a PM. I would guess its Paul Rhoads. I would also guess we replace Segrest. We need to hire a full time ST coach as well.

There won't be a change, but if there is, it'll be Rhoads.  Which means we may at least get an upgrade via a new secondary coach, so that's a positive I guess. Or maybe Rhoads stays secondary coach.  Well crap.

That dang Petrino.

Danny J

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 07:48:40 pm
There won't be a change, but if there is, it'll be Rhoads.  Which means we may at least get an upgrade via a new secondary coach, so that's a positive I guess. Or maybe Rhoads stays secondary coach.  Well crap.

That dang Petrino.
There will be a change...I would bet on it. There has to be a change. If there is not a change then that means CBB and JL are OK with the 105th defense in the nation and we will NEVER sniff the top of the west or even 3rd in the west with the 105th best defense even if we had the #1 offense.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2016, 07:37:51 pm
Since when are they buddies?
Since they met in that hotel room and wrestled each other onto the bed practicing "tackling techniques". Apparently, security had to be called on those two honeymooners.

I think the honeymoon may be over. It certainly is for Arkansas fans after
The Catastrophe in Columbia.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Danny J on November 26, 2016, 07:53:11 pm
There will be a change...I would bet on it. There has to be a change. If there is not a change then that means CBB and JL are OK with the 105th defense in the nation and we will NEVER sniff the top of the west or even 3rd in the west with the 105th best defense even if we had the #1 offense.

I'm in no way excusing Smith, but change needs to include better recruiting.  We have little to no talent in the back 7. 

SCHawgfan

Anyone else notice the demise of our Defense coincides with the departure of Randy Shannon. In 2014 the D was pretty good. Then last year was re building year. No excuse for this years D. I think Coach Shannon hid a lot of RS lack of coaching ability. It's like he has no feel for the game as is progresses.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 07:58:01 pm
I'm in no way excusing Smith, but change needs to include better recruiting.  We have little to no talent in the back 7. 
I may be the only one but I feel we don't evaluate talent in our on backyard enough. There's alot of raw and speedy athletic football players in this state, that with the right coaching could be sec caliber players. Not only that but these kids know what it's like to be raised a hog fan all their life and would die to put on that Razorback uniform. I also believe you would get 110% out of most of them.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: SCHawgfan on November 26, 2016, 08:05:27 pm
Anyone else notice the demise of our Defense coincides with the departure of Randy Shannon. In 2014 the D was pretty good. Then last year was re building year. No excuse for this years D. I think Coach Shannon hid a lot of RS lack of coaching ability. It's like he has no feel for the game as is progresses.

It was the departure of NFL Talent.  Flowers, Philon, and Spaight for starters.  It's first and foremost about talent.  Always.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 26, 2016, 08:06:59 pm
I may be the only one but I feel we don't evaluate talent in our on backyard enough. There's alot of raw and speedy athletic football players in this state, that with the right coaching could be sec caliber players. Not only that but these kids know what it's like to be raised a hog fan all their life and would die to put on that Razorback uniform. I also believe you would get 110% out of most of them.

I think that's mostly true in the south and southeast part of the state.  Good luck getting them academically qualified.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 08:08:37 pm
I think that's mostly true in the south and southeast part of the state.  Good luck getting them academically qualified.

THAT is the real issue with Arkansas high school football. 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: jjdlc on November 26, 2016, 07:20:53 pm

this
The rest of the frog.

26.2Hog

Quote from: SCHawgfan on November 26, 2016, 08:05:27 pm

I think the demise of our defense was when four of them left for the NFL.   And no one had been recruited to come close to replacing them.  And we still have no one on board who can coach our players up enough to be a top 100 defense. 

Sooie71923

Arkansas's average recruiting is nobody's fault. Arkansas has always been average at recruiting. Arkansas isn't a champion, Arkansas isn't trendy, Arkansas isn't a "cool" school, Arkansas is Arkansas and the perception of elite talent towards Arkansas isn't good. If you come to Arkansas we have a long hard road to any kind of championship or success. If you come to Arkansas it's gonna be tough. Lots of hard work that may or may not pay off by the time you graduate. It is what it is.

Arkansas's best shot at success is a large crop of homegrown talent that wants to stay in state combined with a handful of talent from around the region. In the past that's been Texas. With the addition of a&m in conference we re not getting to kods like we used to.

But to blame coaches for not bringing in sec talent every year is weak.

And no, Zou doesn't have better players or a better team than Arkansas. They have better receivers than our dbs. They have a better spike than our oline.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 26, 2016, 06:51:37 pm
I know we all want to see changes made to the defensive staff but is it too late for that with just how awful we've been these last two seasons? Is the writing still on the wall for CBB wether he makes changes or not? Would like some real opinions on this. I most people like to see change when things look bad but I'm not so sure it'll save his job in the end anyway.  It's definitely going to take time for whomever replaces our DC and I'm not so sure it's going to be enough time. I'm by no means saying we should keep RS but I'm not so sure that the tipping point hasn't already came and gone for CBB to rectify this for his on sake.

I don't really understand your reasoning so I'll withhold
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 26, 2016, 08:09:58 pm
THAT is the real issue with Arkansas high school football. 

It's definitely significant.  If we could pluck just 2 or 3 SEC caliber players per year down there, we'd be measurably better.  There are some kids down there who are every bit as talented as anyone we'll get out of TX or LA. 

ballz2thewall

among the many, well-known quotes from coach Ed-O:

"it's tough to recruit up at arkansas"
The rest of the frog.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 26, 2016, 08:12:45 pm
I think the demise of our defense was when four of them left for the NFL.   And no one had been recruited to come close to replacing them.  And we still have no one on board who can coach our players up enough to be a top 100 defense. 

The irony is that they were all BP recruits.  You know, the guy who didn't care about defense.  Now that's not an endorsement of BP, just a reminder that BB ain't done much for our defense.  He's been no better than previous coaches.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 26, 2016, 08:15:46 pm
among the many, well-known quotes from coach Ed-O:

"it's tough to recruit up at arkansas"

I'm just happy that he may have pronounced the name of our state correctly.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 26, 2016, 08:14:33 pm
I don't really understand your reasoning so I'll withhold
Has it came to a point that he's darned if he does, darned if he doesn't. Has he lost too much of the fan base for it to really even matter at this point.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 08:19:16 pm
I'm just happy that he may have pronounced the name of our state correctly.

he used autotune:)
The rest of the frog.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on November 26, 2016, 08:21:57 pm
Has it came to a point that he's darned if he does, darned if he doesn't. Has he lost too much of the fan base for it to really even matter at this point.

I don't think so at all.  I think the concerns about his abilities are definitely warranted, but there's certainly time to change opinions of reasonable fans. 

passinghog

Worst defense in school history, and no changes? There's gotta be changes

HawgfanOK

Should we get a new DC, I would like to see us go after a Bud Foster type of guy.  Meaning I want someone who knows he's a DC and has no aspirations to be a head coach and willing to stay planted for many years. We do not need a guy who will be here 2 yrs and gone.

lasthog

Youngsta71701

Is it even too late for a new DC? No, If everything else fails demote Smith and promote Rhoads. If Smith has too much pride to handle that move he'll look for a job elsewhere on his own or Coach B will help him if he needs help.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"