Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm on the fence

Started by BrickTwnHog, November 26, 2016, 05:37:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BrickTwnHog

As sit here and read pro and anti CBB threads, I find myself going back and fourth with my own opinion with a slight lean towards giving him more time with the condition the defensive staff has changes made.

I'm not sure if I can pin point a specific problem with the defense. I do think that Rob Smith has to go regardless of what other changes are made. It might be CRS philosophy holding other coaches back, or gameday play calling or whatever the base reason is, it has formed one of the worst D's in our history. We are not consistent tacking and the secondary has played like crap at crucial times. Our D-line seems to be the worst part of our defense.

Coach B has "made upgrades" in the past when coaches "found other jobs" so I'm fairly confident that coaching changes will be made and if not, then Bielema will be looking for another job in 2 years. I think a "hopefully" new DC hire will either make or break his tenure here. If he makes a splash hire he will be able to tout even if he only wins 7-8 games next year that we are rebuilding the defense and if it shows progress on the field folks will buy it. If he keeps Robb Smith and we win 6-8 games with a bowl win people will start rumbling pretty loud and that leaves him trying to hire a new DC the following year and with a new QB and a HC coach on the hot-seat (possibly a new OC by this point with Enos landing a head coaching job) a 6-7 win season will seal his fate.

I was a big proponent of coach B hiring, and I still think he can get it done here (although I'm starting to question it some) he has the offensive staff to do it, he just needs a different DC with a new philosophy. We will never have that athletes in the secondary to play man on man. We need to gamble some and keep the offense guessing. We also have to tackle guys to the ground on every play. Our gap control is horrific and we still will not turn our DAMN heads when defending a WR.

Danny J

I am on the "its time to cut bait but we can't because of the buyout" side of the fence but could be pulled back over if next year we are competitive in most of our games and win at least 8 before a bowl. Anything less than that then I am done. Houston Nutt could have gotten us to 9 wins at least once in 5 years. We know BP could. So it can be done. The 7 win regular season plateau at Arkansas is not going to work. If we don't improve next year then he will be on the hot seat for sure going into 2018 season and if we don't get to 9 then he WILL be fired regardless of what the sunshine pumpers state on HV or on BO's show.

Aeschere

Could have kicked 2 field goals and easily won that game.

tophawg19

HDN would have been destroyed in the SEC as tough as it is now . that's the reason ole miss got rid of him
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

TNhawgfan

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 26, 2016, 05:48:53 pm
HDN would have been destroyed in the SEC as tough as it is now . that's the reason ole miss got rid of him
Other than bama, the SEC was average this year. Not the right year to boast about a tough schedule
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

tophawg19

the SEC isn't average . put our 4th team in most conferences and they win . the one thing missing was good Qb's though
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PLHawg

The reality of the SEC West, as it stands now, is the absolute best we'll ever finish is third.  From a talent level we're not even close, doesn't matter who is coaching this team.  Axing Bielema just means we go from 7-5 or possibly 8-4 to another rebuild and 3-9 and 4-8 seasons for a couple of years and recruiting goes into the toilet (worse than it already is).  Unless we catch lightening in a bottle with an up and comer, what established coach would want to step into this situation?  Reality sucks.

ballz2thewall

i've a couple-a thoughts.........

first, findings of fact:

1. bret is a people person.
2. he is a strong and vocal supporter of his coaches.
3. during games, the coordinators have control of their squads.
4. his willingness to outright can a coach is untested.
5. the glaring issue from a coaching perspective is on defense.

accepting the above predicate;

it appears to me that bret has no choice but to replace rob smith. the regression is obvious as the inability to compete on the defensive side of the ball is glaring.

as a commentary, it is also the case that bret may need to break from his people-person mold with regard to his coaches. his demands should be perfection from this point on; especially on defense. the coordinator should never be too comfortable nor feel totally at home.

it is time for coach bielema to be unreasonable in what he expects from his defense.

if he does not do this, his tenure will suffer.
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: PLHawg on November 26, 2016, 05:56:34 pm
The reality of the SEC West, as it stands now, is the absolute best we'll ever finish is third.  From a talent level we're not even close, doesn't matter who is coaching this team.  Axing Bielema just means we go from 7-5 or possibly 8-4 to another rebuild and 3-9 and 4-8 seasons for a couple of years and recruiting goes into the toilet (worse than it already is).  Unless we catch lightening in a bottle with an up and comer, what established coach would want to step into this situation?  Reality sucks.

sadly, this appears true.

watching auburn and bama, there's not a single player on our defense that would start on either squad.
The rest of the frog.

sickboy

Even if we wanted to get rid of Bielema, this is not the year to do it. Who are you going to get to come to Arkansas that's worth firing Bielema over? Herman's the hot name and I'm not even that jazzed about him. There were at least two or three names that were really exciting when we hired Bielema... this year just isn't that year. It's dry. We're better off sticking with Bilema for a year or two and seeing what our options are when the buyout isn't an issue.

Wildhog

Then you go get an up-and-comer.  These 7 win seasons just don't do it for me.  They're certainly not worth keeping coaches for "stability's" sake. 

"Yay, we're consistently mediocre.  Go stability."
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 07:12:58 pm
Then you go get an up-and-comer.  These 7 win seasons just don't do it for me.  They're certainly not worth keeping coaches for "stability's" sake. 

Yeah, that is a terrible arguement but very popular on HV
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Airforcehawg

The main point of the "should we keep or get rid of CBB", is who do you get to replace him? What coaches are available? Do you take a chance on a guy coaching a mid major (Western Michigan Coach)? Would they even come here?

hobhog

Hope you have good balance on that fence cause he ain't going anywhere. He has next year and we have No choice but to accept it. I am willing to see what happens in year 5.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 07:12:58 pm

Stability isn't about keeping the status quo.  It's about rebuilding the foundations.  When Nutt arrived, why did he succeed?  Because Danny Ford had rebuilt the foundation.  When Petrino arrived, why did he fail?  Because Nutt had destroyed the foundation.  When Bielema arrived, why did he fail?  Because Petrino set fire to the program and John L. kept pouring gas on it.

Stability is necessary in order to see the foundation rebuilt.  Then Bret, or whoever the next guy is, gets to build success on that foundation.

Do you REALLY believe a new coach could come in and be successful immediately?  If you don't, then you need to shut up and support stability for a couple more years.  The next two seasons will determine our fate under CBB.  More importantly, the next two recruiting classes will go a long way toward deciding our fate for the next 10 years.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: hobhog on November 26, 2016, 07:27:02 pm
Hope you have good balance on that fence cause he ain't going anywhere. He has next year and we have No choice but to accept it. I am willing to see what happens in year 5.

Also true.  That awful buyout guarantees that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 26, 2016, 07:29:04 pm
Stability isn't about keeping the status quo.  It's about rebuilding the foundations.  When Nutt arrived, why did he succeed?  Because Danny Ford had rebuilt the foundation.  When Petrino arrived, why did he fail?  Because Nutt had destroyed the foundation.  When Bielema arrived, why did he fail?  Because Petrino set fire to the program and John L. kept pouring gas on it.

Stability is necessary in order to see the foundation rebuilt.  Then Bret, or whoever the next guy is, gets to build success on that foundation.

Do you REALLY believe a new coach could come in and be successful immediately?  If you don't, then you need to shut up and support stability for a couple more years.  The next two seasons will determine our fate under CBB.  More importantly, the next two recruiting classes will go a long way toward deciding our fate for the next 10 years.

BB's fate is sealed.  He might be here two more years (if long is) but is a lame duck

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 26, 2016, 07:29:04 pm

No, I don't believe a new coach could come in and be immediately successful... because of CBB's piss poor recruiting.  Someone needs to come in and ACTUALLY build a foundation, not just talk about it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 07:32:48 pm
No, I don't believe a new coach could come in and be immediately successful... because of CBB's piss poor recruiting.  Someone needs to come in and ACTUALLY build a foundation, not just talk about it.
His recruiting has been consistently better than anyone before him.  But you know that too.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Calling All Hogs

There are coaches out there somewhere. I said when we were coach hunting that James Franklin would be an unpopular pick that we would all love three years later.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 07:31:13 pm
BB's fate is sealed.  He might be here two more years (if long is) but is a lame duck
I think that in two years, reasonable people will be thankful for "that awful buyout".
All Gas, No Brakes!

Danny J

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 07:31:13 pm
Looking at what we have coming back next year plus our schedule I just don't see us winning more than 7 regular season games. Three straight years of 7-5 is NOT going to cut it and the only thing that could save him is an outstanding recruiting class and actually decides to start playing them from day one instead of the less talented but more experienced players.

longpig

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on November 26, 2016, 07:34:15 pm
There are coaches out there somewhere. I said when we were coach hunting that James Franklin would be an unpopular pick that we would all love three years later.

Yep, no way to know who's underpaid/underappreciated and coaches do have happy feet. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 26, 2016, 07:33:40 pm
His recruiting has been consistently better than anyone before him.  But you know that too.

His recruiting has been pretty on par with previous staffs.  Our OL recruiting has been abysmal, however, and that's the most critical position group for a Bret Bielema coached team. 

LB/DB recruiting has also been very poor. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 26, 2016, 07:34:18 pm
I think that in two years, reasonable people will be thankful for "that awful buyout".

Maybe you and the groupies will be right.  I hope so, as I just want to win. 

I'm not going to hold my breath, though. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 26, 2016, 07:34:18 pm

Or "why didn't we cut our loses sooner"?

Wildhog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 07:50:46 pm

Because we couldn't afford it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 07:50:46 pm

Yes let's cut our loses. You seem like a real winer.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 07:45:10 pm
His recruiting has been pretty on par with previous staffs.  Our OL recruiting has been abysmal, however, and that's the most critical position group for a Bret Bielema coached team. 

LB/DB recruiting has also been very poor. 

You beat me to it.  The OL has been a real surprise.  And the defense has been, well, well, we all know. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 07:51:05 pm
Because we couldn't afford it.

You find a way before the hole gets deeper.  He needs to find another opportunity now.  THe longer he stays, the more he is exposed as someone who can't coach and is ruining his career.  He may need "reminded" of that fact and encouraged to land somewhere else sooner rather than later.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SpaHog1986 on November 26, 2016, 05:37:41 pm
As sit here and read pro and anti CBB threads, I find myself going back and fourth with my own opinion with a slight lean towards giving him more time with the condition the defensive staff has changes made.

I'm not sure if I can pin point a specific problem with the defense. I do think that Rob Smith has to go regardless of what other changes are made. It might be CRS philosophy holding other coaches back, or gameday play calling or whatever the base reason is, it has formed one of the worst D's in our history. We are not consistent tacking and the secondary has played like crap at crucial times. Our D-line seems to be the worst part of our defense.

Coach B has "made upgrades" in the past when coaches "found other jobs" so I'm fairly confident that coaching changes will be made and if not, then Bielema will be looking for another job in 2 years. I think a "hopefully" new DC hire will either make or break his tenure here. If he makes a splash hire he will be able to tout even if he only wins 7-8 games next year that we are rebuilding the defense and if it shows progress on the field folks will buy it. If he keeps Robb Smith and we win 6-8 games with a bowl win people will start rumbling pretty loud and that leaves him trying to hire a new DC the following year and with a new QB and a HC coach on the hot-seat (possibly a new OC by this point with Enos landing a head coaching job) a 6-7 win season will seal his fate.

I was a big proponent of coach B hiring, and I still think he can get it done here (although I'm starting to question it some) he has the offensive staff to do it, he just needs a different DC with a new philosophy. We will never have that athletes in the secondary to play man on man. We need to gamble some and keep the offense guessing. We also have to tackle guys to the ground on every play. Our gap control is horrific and we still will not turn our DAMN heads when defending a WR.

I couldn't have said it better. That is exactly how I feel. The only thing to add is improve recruiting. How can that happen when the same coaches are doing it though is questionable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on November 26, 2016, 07:52:44 pm
Yes let's cut our loses. You seem like a real winer.

Why take it personal?  Am I not entitled to my opinion?  Season ticket holder and RF supporter for a long time. 

Wildhog

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 07:55:48 pm
Why take it personal?  Am I not entitled to my opinion?  Season ticket holder and RF supporter for a long time. 

For some reason, there are many people that actually get personally offended if you're unhappy with a football coach that they've never met.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Danny J

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 07:52:48 pm
You beat me to it.  The OL has been a real surprise.
Haven't you been paying attention? That is Pittman's fault. Well its really Petrino's fault but still kind of Pittman...or so I have been told here on HV. Its definitely NOT Bret's fault. As a matter of fact this is the order of who fault it is we got smoked by LSU, aTm, Auburn and then lost to Mizzou:

1...Petrino
2...Pittman
3...Enos
4...JLS
5...the players
6...the state as a whole because we don't produce enough talent
7...the fans who complain on message boards

The people who are NOT at fault are as follows:

1...Bret
2...Jeff
3...Robb

Danny J

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 07:56:59 pm
For some reason, there are many people that actually get personally offended if you're unhappy with a football coach that they've never met.
Yes...see #7 above...

There is one poster in particular going back to Toledo last year that I bet 90% of his posts are nothing but bashing posters who criticize our staff. This guy barely even talks football. He spends his time trolling people who expect better from our program. I don't know maybe he was banned. I haven't seen him in a couple days.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Danny J on November 26, 2016, 07:57:27 pm
Haven't you been paying attention? That is Pittman's fault. Well its really Petrino's fault but still kind of Pittman...or so I have been told here on HV. Its definitely NOT Bret's fault. As a matter of fact this is the order of who fault it is we got smoked by LSU, aTm, Auburn and then lost to Mizzou:

1...Petrino
2...Pittman
3...Enos
4...JLS
5...the players

1...Bret
2...Jeff
3...Robb

Pitman is the perfect example of coach worship.  He was the be all end all recruiter, but apparently couldn't count.  We adored him until he bolted.  Then all of a sudden he sucked. 

And that's squarely on BB.  And now look at the current OL class.  not a single one with any meaningful offers.  We definitely changed our strategy.  Going after the low hanging fruit.  Recruits with few options.  Have to make up ground from the last couple years.  Need bodies.

HawgWyld

Does anyone think a new coach will actually make much of a difference? We got rid of Houston Nutt, had a hopeful few years with Petrino, spent a humiliating year with Smith and then wound up with another ... Houston Nutt. Don't like it? Let that sweet, sweet apathy set in and quit worrying about it...

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HawgWyld on November 26, 2016, 08:04:23 pm
Does anyone think a new coach will actually make much of a difference? We got rid of Houston Nutt, had a hopeful few years with Petrino, spent a humiliating year with Smith and then wound up with another ... Houston Nutt. Don't like it? Let that sweet, sweet apathy set in and quit worrying about it...

Nutt was a poor man's Beliema.

Wildhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 08:05:19 pm

Bielema needs to win more before we can say that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

justasportsfan

Quote from: Danny J on November 26, 2016, 07:57:27 pm

1...Petrino
2...Pittman
3...Enos
4...JLS
5...the players

1...Bret
2...Jeff
3...Robb

I am so laughing.

But seriously, there have been some threads about accountability, expectations, and that big honking contract.  Now don't we all wish that there were some clauses in there to account for poor coaching, and I say it in this manner, CBB is the HEAD Coach, he is responsible.  HE is paid the money to produce, and it AIN'T happening.

And, everyone is entitled to their view of CBB, and I applaud those that want to give him the rest of his contract, we're pretty much stuck to that anyway, but it does get tiresome if posters question Long and CBB and the rest, those posters get griefed for their opinions.  This is one of the worst bowl seasons I've ever seen

East Clintwood

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 07:29:33 pm
Also true.  That awful buyout guarantees that.

We need to get rid of the person responsible for that horrible buyout. 
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

LZH

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 26, 2016, 07:53:43 pm
You find a way before the hole gets deeper.  He needs to find another opportunity now.  THe longer he stays, the more he is exposed as someone who can't coach and is ruining his career.  He may need "reminded" of that fact and encouraged to land somewhere else sooner rather than later.

Iowa would likely offer him the job when KF leaves, regardless of his record here. And if not, he has a lucrative TV gig waiting for him on one of the networks.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 26, 2016, 08:06:00 pm
Bielema needs to win more before we can say that.

Sorry, but I refuse to believe Nutt is superior to BB.  Would be the ultimate bottom for this program.

Pig In The City

This is the puke type of philosophy that makes people hate losers!

JOKERHOG

Quote from: LZH on November 26, 2016, 08:18:20 pm
Iowa would likely offer him the job when KF leaves, regardless of his record here. And if not, he has a lucrative TV gig waiting for him on one of the networks.

K state after Synder

HawgWyld

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 08:05:19 pm
Man, you must have really hated Nutt to say something like that. Don't worry, though -- if history is any guide, ol' Bert will be here for another six years or so. Enjoy...

RedBird5

Quote from: TNhawgfan on November 26, 2016, 05:51:59 pm
Other than bama, the SEC was average this year. Not the right year to boast about a tough schedule

Says brilliant football mind you?  So [CENSORED] what?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HawgWyld on November 26, 2016, 08:31:05 pm
Man, you must have really hated Nutt to say something like that. Don't worry, though -- if history is any guide, ol' Bret will be here for another six years or so. Enjoy...

It wasn't meant as a compliment of BB, but it was definitely a shot at Nutt.  I'm a lean to BB not getting it done here.  Hope to be wrong.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 26, 2016, 08:22:50 pm
Sorry, but I refuse to believe Nutt is superior to BB.  Would be the ultimate bottom for this program.

Because it's not true.

The SEC that The Crown Emperor of Clowns coached in was a vastly different one.
Remember Clown's passing game?
Remember those hapless Ole Miss and Miss St teams?

Don't let some people's hyperbole sway you.

BB ain't Saban.
He's also not King Clown.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?