Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your recruit your own problems....

Started by HungryHog, November 25, 2016, 11:18:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HungryHog

I am tired of being told: "it's not X's and O's, it's Jimmy's and Joe's"

We beat Florida and lost to Mizzou.  Are you telling me we have worse players than Missouri, but better players than Florida?  No way..

Also - Brett lives by "You recruit your own problems."  - That goes even when your problem is weaker players.

I think Brett plays favorites - Froholt, etc.  Morgan only got a chance because of injuries.

He and his coaching staff are the worst at game-time and halftime adjustments.  They are even worse at motivating players.  It's obvious the only motivational speech can come after a loss, playing the underdog card is all they have.  They have no idea how to motivate a team expected to win - to step up and show who we are.

The Big 10 team he is trying to field is not going to work at Arkansas.  We must play a faster scheme. 

You put all 3 million Arkansans on your shoulders and dropped the ball Bret. 

Please make this easy and leave for Kansas State.

Atlhogfan1

Qb. Florida played wrong one against us. We can beat bad qbs.

Lock isn't bad. 

A lot more went into this loss. But that is a big diff in our matchups. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChicoHog

Today's loss was very frustrating.  But upsets happen all over in college football.  Who thought SMU would beat Houston? 

UF did not play well that day against us, they are really not very good, especially on offense, and we played well.  Like previous poster said Mizzou has a QB.  A guy who was absolutely horrible last year now looks really good.   There is no easy answer for this.  Fire BB and bring in who?  I say every coach needs 5 years to really evaluate them unless it's something off the field or just a complete disaster kind of like Strong at Texas.  We have to see defensive and Oline improvements next year for sure.  If not then it may be time for a change. 

Inhogswetrust

November 26, 2016, 07:04:51 am #3 Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:35:41 am by Inhogswetrust
If you recruit your own problems maybe that's what we did coaching wise........................maybe they need to recruit some new coaches.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

We lost because we tried to be a cute passing team in the 2nd half instead of running the ball down their throat until they broke, and then continued to run it some more.

go hogues

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 26, 2016, 07:14:02 am
We lost because we tried to be a cute passing team in the 2nd half instead of running the ball down their throat until they broke, and then continued to run it some more.
This
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

longpig

Bielema recognised Morgan his freshman year and pushed him toward the front of the line, actually. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

MountieDawg

How ldoes no before Enos and CBB realize a reverse doesn't work on 3rd and short or 4th and short. Big mistake against aTm and Mizzou
SEC!

DZ

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 26, 2016, 01:05:06 am
Today's loss was very frustrating.  But upsets happen all over in college football.  Who thought SMU would beat Houston? 

UF did not play well that day against us, they are really not very good, especially on offense, and we played well.  Like previous poster said Mizzou has a QB.  A guy who was absolutely horrible last year now looks really good.   There is no easy answer for this.  Fire BB and bring in who?  I say every coach needs 5 years to really evaluate them unless it's something off the field or just a complete disaster kind of like Strong at Texas.  We have to see defensive and Oline improvements next year for sure.  If not then it may be time for a change.

every QB looks good against us...

mweston

The corners got burned all day long.  Missouri is also better than their record.  Their offense was basically throw it deep and beat our secondary.  Our DL was getting to the QB early and we were stopping them.  They didn't come out in the second half with that same intensity and played softer in the 2nd half.

ChicoHog

Quote from: mweston on November 26, 2016, 09:33:05 am
The corners got burned all day long.  Missouri is also better than their record.  Their offense was basically throw it deep and beat our secondary.  Our DL was getting to the QB early and we were stopping them.  They didn't come out in the second half with that same intensity and played softer in the 2nd half.
Agreed.  Except for Pulley we don't have any DBs that could play at upper tier schools.  They are not fast enough or strong enough.  That's why they don't play tight.  Too easy to get burned. 

Redhogs

And who do you think made that call?
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 26, 2016, 09:38:47 am
Agreed.  Except for Pulley we don't have any DBs that could play at upper tier schools.  They are not fast enough or strong enough.  That's why they don't play tight.  Too easy to get burned.
[/quote

...good observation, and it was never more apparent than yesterday.]
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Youngsta71701

+1, If we would have kept with the same things we were doing in the first half we would have won easily. Missouri only had 19 plays in the first half because we ran the ball down their throat and we used our screen game to keep the chains moving and maintain control of the ball. We dominated time of possession and we got points at the end of those drives.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Redhogs

Quote from: HungryHog on November 25, 2016, 11:18:23 pm

We beat Florida and lost to Mizzou.  Are you telling me we have worse players than Missouri, but better players than Florida?  No way..

Also - Brett lives by "You recruit your own problems."  - That goes even when your problem is weaker players.

I think Brett plays favorites - Froholt, etc.  Morgan only got a chance because of injuries.

He and his coaching staff are the worst at game-time and halftime adjustments.  They are even worse at motivating players.  It's obvious the only motivational speech can come after a loss, playing the underdog card is all they have.  They have no idea how to motivate a team expected to win - to step up and show who we are.

The Big 10 team he is trying to field is not going to work at Arkansas.  We must play a faster scheme. 

jeffie...Jeffie....jeffie..are you listening???

ChicoHog

Quote from: DZ on November 26, 2016, 08:30:07 am
every QB looks good against us...
True but Lock really arrived this year.  Huge improvement.  probably an NFL guy with his arm and quick release. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: longpig on November 26, 2016, 07:35:08 am
Bielema recognised Morgan his freshman year and pushed him toward the front of the line, actually.
Nah Morgan was at the back of the line, he got his chance only because of injuries. CBB didn't like Morgans cockiness.

Bebop

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 26, 2016, 12:52:00 pm
Nah Morgan was at the back of the line, he got his chance only because of injuries. CBB didn't like Morgans cockiness.

I don't like Bret's cockiness. The only difference is that Morgan seems to give it his all in every game. Just sayin.

onebadrubi

Bret and his staff lost this game, had nothing to do with Jimmy's and JOes. 

Now to say he plays favorites and use Morgan as your example just shows stupidity and not thinking.  If Morgan only was playing because of injuries and thats how he got his chance then why has he not returned to the bench, if he was sitting because he wasn't a favorite?  Just stupid.  Bret has proven he will play freshman if they are talented enough and can help.  You also have to not F up (see D reed) or get in trouble off the field. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 26, 2016, 01:30:49 pm
Bret and his staff lost this game, had nothing to do with Jimmy's and JOes. 

Now to say he plays favorites and use Morgan as your example just shows stupidity and not thinking.  If Morgan only was playing because of injuries and thats how he got his chance then why has he not returned to the bench, if he was sitting because he wasn't a favorite?  Just stupid.  Bret has proven he will play freshman if they are talented enough and can help.  You also have to not F up (see D reed) or get in trouble off the field.
BS, he always slow plays the under class men, Morgan didn't go back to the bench because he proved he was a playmaker. You will see in the next 2 years the freshman we have are head and shoulders above the LBs we played yesterday. They only played because they are more experienced.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 25, 2016, 11:21:20 pm
Qb. Florida played wrong one against us. We can beat bad qbs.

Lock isn't bad. 

A lot more went into this loss. But that is a big diff in our matchups.

nailed it.
The rest of the frog.

Redhogs

That's true.

Youngsta71701

This is the only thing I don't like about Coach B. He's cocky but doesn't want to recruit cocky players. We need more players with Morgan's cockiness and winning mentality. We need more kids that know how to win and won't except anything less.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

AirWarren

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 26, 2016, 04:49:11 pm
This is the only thing I don't like about Coach B. He's cocky but doesn't want to recruit cocky players. We need more players with Morgan's cockiness and winning mentality. We need more kids that know how to win and won't except anything less.

Like I said. Cut the uncommon BS. We need to recruit some rough inner city kids that can outrun a cop car on foot.

Miami Hurricanes of the 80's, 90s, and early 2000s.

As some point we have to take a chance with a kid who is mean and fast as hell.

Our kids would probably make great neighbors. But we need some mean ass football players that can flat out fly.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: AP85 on November 26, 2016, 06:43:03 pm
Like I said. Cut the uncommon BS. We need to recruit some rough inner city kids that can outrun a cop car on foot.

Our kids would probably make great neighbors. But we need some mean ass football players that can flat out fly.

If your goal is winning at a higher level, yes.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Pigasaurus

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 26, 2016, 09:38:47 am

We just don't have the speed anywhere.  Even the running backs look like they are holding back.  Keep waiting on the burst.  Guess McFadden and Joe Adams spoiled me.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

ChicoHog

Quote from: AP85 on November 26, 2016, 06:43:03 pm

We did recruit some south Fla kids and many of them washed out.  Robinson, Brown, and a few others.  Sometimes you take risks on kids and it doesn't work.  That's what Baylor did and they are in deep crapola.  Auburn, A&M and Mississippi have done much of the same and had many wash out.  Difference is they have so many 4 star players (especially Auburn and A&M) they can afford to have some leave.  We cannot afford to miss on them. 

gawntrail

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 27, 2016, 04:50:41 pm
We did recruit some south Fla kids and many of them washed out.  Robinson, Brown, and a few others.  Sometimes you take risks on kids and it doesn't work.  That's what Baylor did and they are in deep crapola.  Auburn, A&M and Mississippi have done much of the same and had many wash out.  Difference is they have so many 4 star players (especially Auburn and A&M) they can afford to have some leave.  We cannot afford to miss on them.

Deepen the talent pool by widening the risk pool.  That way when some washout, there are enough that are sticking to make a difference. 

It may be that these gray area kids are persona non grata due to the effort it takes to make sure they are successful and/or by unwritten rule.  Just because some 'challenge' kids screwed up their opportunity doesn't mean you write every 'challenge' kid off wholesale. 

Unless of course you aren't really willing to put in the effort and are happy collecting a fat ass check because you figured out the sweet spot between expectations and scrutiny...... <cough>  errrr.... did I just type that out loud..........??

DeltaBoy

Enos passing game stinks . Shame on Bret for not pulling rank and tell ENOS RUN THE DAMN BALL.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChicoHog

It's much easier to look the other way when those transgressions occur than buckle down and try to save the kid through "tough love".  If a kid wants a school that the inmates run the asylum and it's all fun then let them go to Ole Miss, Auburn or A&M.  If they want discipline and structure then they go to Bama or Arkansas. 

You said deepen the talent pool by widening the risk pool.  The pool can only be 25 guys a year.  Cannot get any wider so if you miss on 7-10 guys because they were risky then that sets you up for failure and gives you no margin for error on the other 15-17 guys.  I say it's worth a risk on 3-5 at the most.  We can't afford more washouts than that.  No way in heck do I want our name associated with the Fulmer Cup. 

gawntrail

Quote from: HungryHog on November 25, 2016, 11:18:23 pm

Its not A or B... It's f***'n both and everybody knows it.  Selling one or the other is CYA on any given day.  If you don't have the players, you better have a scheme you can plug jimmy joe vanilla in to and get success.  If you don't have the scheme, you better have jimmy joe all-American you can have drive your dump truck and get success.  We have neither and there are no answers.  We are holding the bag on a gigantic buy out with nothing but two years of misery on the horizon before we're in a position to pick up the pieces.

Hire some investigators to find some cause and FIRE his ASS NOW!!!  Send the integrity wing of Hog Nation packing and let's get on with WINNING.  Hire an energetic young guy in the $1 to $2 million range and we can be 4-8, 5-7, 6-6, and 7-5 playing an exciting brand of football.  Let's drop the pretense of competing for an SEC title now (its BS and we all know it) and recruit and build a brand that will pay dividends in 5-7 years.  That's about the time Bama will be looking for a new HC. 

Pragmatism and building toward the future.  Kick ass and on the way to building up a consistent 9-10 win per year program piss as many people off as possible.  They already hate us.  So what.  So ESPN or some pompous rag writer doesn't give us any love.... BFD.  They already hate us.  And, when we turn the corner and win cause we do the things that winning programs do, we can tell ESPN and the other haters to kiss our HOG asses. 

WOO F***'N PIG!!

gawntrail

Quote from: ChicoHog on November 27, 2016, 08:18:14 pm
It's much easier to look the other way when those transgressions occur than buckle down and try to save the kid through "tough love".  If a kid wants a school that the inmates run the asylum and it's all fun then let them go to Ole Miss, Auburn or A&M.  If they want discipline and structure then they go to Bama or Arkansas. 

You said deepen the talent pool by widening the risk pool.  The pool can only be 25 guys a year.  Cannot get any wider so if you miss on 7-10 guys because they were risky then that sets you up for failure and gives you no margin for error on the other 15-17 guys.  I say it's worth a risk on 3-5 at the most.  We can't afford more washouts than that.  No way in heck do I want our name associated with the Fulmer Cup.

You don't look the other way.  You manage them.  You mentor them.  You monitor them.  You love them and discipline them.  Young men will follow your leadership if they KNOW you love them.  Even thugs will respect you.  You just have to earn it. 

Right now.... those that are sticking can't win a food fight let alone stomp a mud hole in some guy in a different color jersey.  So, those 15-17 that don't wash out, aren't contributing either.

GoshenHog

I really do think it was this simple.  Why our coaches thought this was a good idea is what troubles me.

lefty08

Quote from: gawntrail on November 27, 2016, 08:52:49 pm
You don't look the other way.  You manage them.  You mentor them.  You monitor them.  You love them and discipline them.  Young men will follow your leadership if they KNOW you love them.  Even thugs will respect you.  You just have to earn it. 

Right now.... those that are sticking can't win a food fight let alone stomp a mud hole in some guy in a different color jersey.  So, those 15-17 that don't wash out, aren't contributing either.

Wow
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ballhogger

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 27, 2016, 08:13:54 pm
Enos passing game stinks . Shame on Bret for not pulling rank and tell ENOS RUN THE DAMN BALL.

Are you serious?  His passing game is 2nd in yardage, and 2nd in passing touchdowns in our conference and his passing game stinks?  My goodness, we should have beaten Mizzou but good lord lets have a little perspective.  Yes we left 24 points out there, but Dan didn't throw the picks or miss the field goal or drop the pass in the endzone at the end.  We had chances to win but didn't execute like we did against other teams.  I do agree with one thing about us running the ball.  We should have committed to it a little more when we were up.