Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How about this for a truly unpopular opinion?? Vote Changes??

Started by Lake City Hog, November 22, 2016, 08:32:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you think I am nuts?

Nuts
32 (24.6%)
Totally nuts
59 (45.4%)
may have a point
39 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Lake City Hog

November 22, 2016, 08:32:37 pm Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:36:01 am by Lake City Hog
Rob Smith will be our DC next season. Rory Segrest will be our D'Line Coach and unless he chooses to jump back into the pond Rhodes will be back too.

Smith will have more say in the game time decisions and we will see what looks like better preparation, but is in reality the result of 1 guy making the calls. This will show up as us lining up quicker, being less confused and an overall improvement in our Defense! BB will probably struggle a bit with letting Smith have total control, but in the end he will and it WILL make a difference.

PorkRinds

Totally nuts. I think you e completely misread the dynamic.

a0ashle

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 22, 2016, 08:37:17 pm
Totally nuts. I think you e completely misread the dynamic.

CBB wants his assistants doing their job, Saban is the control freest, not CBB

Hawghiggs

CBB can't afford to let Smith stay. Even if the talent is bad next season. With a new DC. CBB can say that we are in a transition. But if Smith stays and we are bad. Then CBB will be on the hook and no one to blame but himself.

SultanofSwine

War Boar

I don't post often, but I believe this poll is invalid.  There is no Frito Pie option.  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Hawghiggs on November 22, 2016, 08:58:33 pm
CBB can't afford to let Smith stay. Even if the talent is bad next season. With a new DC. CBB can say that we are in a transition. But if Smith stays and we are bad. Then CBB will be on the hook and no one to blame but himself.

It's a bad move to stick with your DC when defense has been historically bad and regressed year over year the last two.  Hell maintaining 2015 levels may have meant one possibly two more wins.  The other factor is that it has just not improved over the course of the year or does not feel like it.  After last year's bad start it felt like the D was at least marginally improving by the end of the year.

Fans start to lose faith in a coach when he fails to make the tough decision in order to get better. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Arkansas Fan

As bad as the defense has looked this year there's no way Robb should still be the DC.

Snouty

Quote from: Ark13 on November 22, 2016, 09:11:12 pm
I don't post often, but I believe this poll is invalid.  There is no Frito Pie option.  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

I want my Frito Pie!

jgphillips3

Our current offense looks nothing like the offense Chaney ran.  What makes anyone believe this is Bielema's defense?  If he would allow such massive change to "his" offense then why wouldn't we expect another DC to be able to make significant changes to "his" defense.

e_dub

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Porked Tongue

Danny J

No way he is back...no way. Segrest is gone too.

The real question is will it happen before or after the bowl game? Hard to say...I think it depends on how we look against Mizzou. I think our defense is gashed again by a HUNH team that can run the ball. I hope not but there is no reason to believe thats not the case. I still think we can win as their D is terrible.

Sed76

If heads don't roll people are gonna be hot. If we would have fielded just a halfway competent defense we would have won a couple more games. Hopefully Bielema isn't stubborn enough to think keeping Smith around is a good idea.

WBOBO

Honestly I want everyone on board and no one leaving.  I want continuity and
yeah we are missing that this year, but Smith was pretty good last year.  Patience. 
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

radar

BB coached LBs for 6 years at Iowa, was a DC for 4 years at Iowa and K State. I can not understand how he has not been able to recognize and correct some of the deficiencies in our defense which are scheme and technique problems. When you take away the aggressiveness of a defense by playing a soft secondary, and a contain front, you are allowing the offense to attack your defense, which is just the opposite of sound defensive principle..

HoggusMaximus

1highhog

Quote from: WBOBO on November 22, 2016, 10:44:02 pm
yeah we are missing that this year, but Smith was pretty good last year.  Patience. 

You're smoking crack.  Smith's defense sucked last year as well.

The Kig

Smith was pretty good last year.  Patience.

Do wut?  We just sucked in a different area defensively last year. 
Poker Porker

LZH

Keep convincing yourself that the reason you constantly get shocked by sticking a key in a light socket is because you're holding the key wrong. I can't help but shake my head when people post stupid darn like this.

SemperFi

I voted "nuts" before I read your post...OOPS! I would like to change my vote to "totally nuts" now :-)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

SemperFi

I voted "nuts" before I read your post...OOPS! I would like to change my vote to "totally nuts" with a dash of Frito Pie now :-)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

kp72204

I just want to win I don't care who coaches the D as long as its better. Did any of the recruits sign because of the CRS's?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Either to his credit or detriment, all of BB's coaching moves appear to be after his current coach has found a job and moved on whether on his own or with a little coaxing.  While this is an honorable way to handle it, does it put him behind the 8 ball in hiring as opposed to going ahead and firing his coach at the end of the season to get ahead of the curve.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawgphish

Quote from: Ark13 on November 22, 2016, 09:11:12 pm
this.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 23, 2016, 11:00:41 am
Either to his credit or detriment, all of BB's coaching moves appear to be after his current coach has found a job and moved on whether on his own or with a little coaxing.  While this is an honorable way to handle it, does it put him behind the 8 ball in hiring as opposed to going ahead and firing his coach at the end of the season to get ahead of the curve.
I have no proof, but I have felt that he has someone lined up or in mind every time he has encouraged someone to move on down the line.  Maybe all is good, because that other person already knows he has a new job with better pay just waiting for the dominos to fall.

lahawg1

I do see us utilizing a defensive "analyst" for the next year

Lake City Hog

Probably about to make this an even more unpopular thread---
I think the fiasco at ATM & Auburn forced BB to step back and look at our offense more than a little bit. I really believe that he figured out that Enos is fully aware of our need to run the ball, but also understand the need to throw the ball too. Our offense looks much different than it did in those 2 games.

I think he needs to do the same thing defensively. TURN IT ALL OVER TO SMITH. If he is the guy that is tasked to lead the defense, let him do it. That will be much harder for him to do considering his background. It must be really hard for Smith to make certain decisions when he knows that BB is there to 2nd guess him. When I hear BB say that Smith said to him "Coach, I'd really like to blitz here." that tells me where the problem lies.

That could be some of the issue with us getting aligned quickly, if Smith has to run things by BB in critical situations it simply kills our defense getting set soon enough. I would think that this would also create some issues with the players and Smith, how can they have total confidence in him if BB doesn't?

By the way 25 people don't think I'm nuts, thanks

hawginbigd1

I just don't believe he can go forward without a change, I think the program and locker room need a shakeup on the defensive side.

JayBell

The DC change has to be made after the Missouri game.  I think you want to change the mentality immediately and let recruits know changes are coming.

With someone like Rhoads on staff, there's no reason to drag your feet on the decision when you can turn the defense over to him, at least temporarily.  The other position coaches need to stay on through the bowl game.

I don't know how bad or good our DC is and I seriously doubt our HC knows either.  I suggest the main reason he has problems keeping assistants is because he doesn't get involved and not because he does.

BB should know what is wrong with the D but is too disconnected with the nuts and bolts of the team to make corrections.  This coaching, teaching, conditioning, and mentally preparing folks is a mite boring for our HC.  Well maybe he will get around to it next year or the next or the next.  He just needs time.

JayBell

Quote from: 12247 on November 24, 2016, 07:37:29 pmI don't know how bad or good our DC is and I seriously doubt our HC knows either.  I suggest the main reason he has problems keeping assistants is because he doesn't get involved and not because he does.

BB should know what is wrong with the D but is too disconnected with the nuts and bolts of the team to make corrections.  This coaching, teaching, conditioning, and mentally preparing folks is a mite boring for our HC.  Well maybe he will get around to it next year or the next or the next.  He just needs time.

LOL.  Somebody's Thanksgiving tradition includes heavy liquor.

hogfanny

Quote from: radar on November 22, 2016, 10:53:23 pm
BB coached LBs for 6 years at Iowa, was a DC for 4 years at Iowa and K State. I can not understand how he has not been able to recognize and correct some of the deficiencies in our defense which are scheme and technique problems. When you take away the aggressiveness of a defense by playing a soft secondary, and a contain front, you are allowing the offense to attack your defense, which is just the opposite of sound defensive principle..
My thoughts exactly...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SemperFi on November 23, 2016, 04:59:11 am
I voted "nuts" before I read your post...OOPS! I would like to change my vote to "totally nuts" now :-)

I voted totally nuts without reading his post. I just voted on his post history.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

cityhog

I don't think it matters who our DC is. The running QB and or HUNH style has been in 'vogue' now for the better part of a decade and Arkansas has yet to figure it out.

jkstock04

Quote from: Lake City Hog on November 22, 2016, 08:32:37 pm
Rob Smith will be our DC next season. Rory Segrest will be our D'Line Coach and unless he chooses to jump back into the pond Rhodes will be back too.

Smith will have more say in the game time decisions and we will see what looks like better preparation, but is in reality the result of 1 guy making the calls. This will show up as us lining up quicker, being less confused and an overall improvement in our Defense! BB will probably struggle a bit with letting Smith have total control, but in the end he will and it WILL make a difference.
I'm thinking along the same line you are...except I do believe Smith is going to fall on the sword. Maybe as early as in a few days.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RebelliousHog

Quote from: cityhog on November 25, 2016, 10:39:18 am
I don't think it matters who our DC is. The running QB and or HUNH style has been in 'vogue' now for the better part of a decade and Arkansas has yet to figure it out.

This. It's not like the HUNH is new anymore.

Speaking of which, I've wondered to myself why teams like us don't run our normal offense (playbook and sets) out of the HUNH. I know BB is all into TOP but how many games have we lost where we had TOP?

Play their game but better and more diverse. Most HUNH teams run out of the spread. Take our line and just keep constant pressure on the D. Seems reasonable.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

007 License To Squeal

Totally nuts in my opinion. Smart Razorback head coaches heed the advice of the experts here on HV.   The consensus here on HV is that RS is as done as the turkey still in the oven, so he is gone!!!

Remember, TCTWF once doubted the power of HV........where is he now??
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Lake City Hog

JayBell

I don't know how supportive I'll be of Bielema if he makes me watch Robb Smith's defense for another year.  He's got to be able to make those tough decisions and be a better leader.  You can't just hold nobody accountable for being historically bad.

If he's publicly lying so he can handle things behind the scenes.  I'm fine with that.  He gets close to his coaches and has strong personal relationships with them, but he's going to lose the support and good will of a lot of fans if he refuses to make changes, especially going into a season in which he seat will already be heating up.