Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Walk-on Linebacker Turning Heads

Started by Mike Irwin, April 21, 2015, 10:21:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Khalia Hackett, Josh Williams and Brooks Ellis have been playing musical chairs in the Razorbacks linebacker corp this spring. Heading into Saturday's Red-White spring game Ellis is working at Will linebacker, Williams at Sam linebacker while Hackett is quarterbacking the defense from the Mike position. Defensive coordinator Robb Smith says this fall each can be moved around among the three positions based on the personnel grouping of the Hogs' opponents.

Arkansas football fans following spring ball are familiar with all three players but there's a new name in the mix at Mike linebacker. Working behind Hackett is walk-on redshirt freshman Josh Harris who has been turning heads with his mean streak as a tackler and his ability to stay with tight ends and receivers in pass coverage. The latter is no small feat for the 5-10 inch Harris who finds himself having to cover the likes of 6-5 Hunter Henry and 6-6 Jeremy Sprinkle. Harris said successful pass coverage has a lot to do with making proper reads.
-----------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/walkon-linebacker-turning-heads/18198/US4PS3b3nU-9PdBsIerl4w

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 10:21:11 pm
Khalia Hackett, Josh Williams and Brooks Ellis have been playing musical chairs in the Razorbacks linebacker corp this spring. Heading into Saturday's Red-White spring game Ellis is working at Will linebacker, Williams at Sam linebacker while Hackett is quarterbacking the defense from the Mike position. Defensive coordinator Robb Smith says this fall each can be moved around among the three positions based on the personnel grouping of the Hogs' opponents.

Arkansas football fans following spring ball are familiar with all three players but there's a new name in the mix at Mike linebacker. Working behind Hackett is walk-on redshirt freshman Josh Harris who has been turning heads with his mean streak as a tackler and his ability to stay with tight ends and receivers in pass coverage. The latter is no small feat for the 5-10 inch Harris who finds himself having to cover the likes of 6-5 Hunter Henry and 6-6 Jeremy Sprinkle. Harris said successful pass coverage has a lot to do with making proper reads.
-----------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:
http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/walkon-linebacker-turning-heads/18198/US4PS3b3nU-9PdBsIerl4w
We all love to hear those success stories about walkon's that love the game but are not the typical size coaches want to sign right a way so they get them to walk on but through hard work and great attitude succeed and earn a spot on the 1st team and a scholarship.

kp72204

I think the walk-on program is gonna pretty special going forward. Already pulling(at the very least) possible future starters that can really contribute, not just because there's an open slot.

Jamie Jones

Sam Mills, Dat Nguyen, London Fletcher, and Zach Thomas, just to name a few, were all too small to play. JS!
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Wildhog

It's really huge to keep finding these walk-ons that can be contributors.  Very excited about Harris.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Good to hear we got some depth at LB and that the Walk on is doing so good.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

presidenthog

Quote from: Jamie Jones on April 22, 2015, 09:26:21 am
Sam Mills, Dat Nguyen, London Fletcher, and Zach Thomas, just to name a few, were all too small to play. JS!
I'm pretty sure olajabutu was also 5'10 considered to short, but loved the game and had great instincts very similar to this young man.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: presidenthog on April 22, 2015, 11:25:00 am
I'm pretty sure olajabutu was also 5'10 considered to short, but loved the game and had great instincts very similar to this young man.

I think 5-10 is being generous, he was probably closer to 5-9 if I remember correctly.  He other that the pros, was who came to my mind.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Hawgzinbowlz

Glad to hear Ellis, Williams and Hackett can interchange positions. In the event of an injury this would help keep the quality of the 2nd level consistent.
Josh Harris is a good CBB story...and it helps with depth.

" WOO PIG "

pfrg999

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 22, 2015, 11:51:11 am
I think 5-10 is being generous, he was probably closer to 5-9 if I remember correctly.  He other that the pros, was who came to my mind.

Sir, I beg to differ, Measured on the field in Cleats and a wearing his Helmet he was at least 5'10 or maybe 5'11 ;) JK/ I was beside him one time and he was not really any taller than me,  I crest at the amazing height of almost 5'9
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Jamie Jones

Quote from: presidenthog on April 22, 2015, 11:25:00 am
I thought of him, but couldn't remember how to spell his name. And I wasn't about to get hammered by the grammar police on here. ;)
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Theolesnort

Actually Butu couldn't quite stretch to make 5 ft 8 in but they listed him at that heigth.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

justmaybe

The longer this thread gets the shorter Butu gets.........

presidenthog

Quote from: justmaybe on April 23, 2015, 08:15:04 pm
Really I think he was more like 5'7 now that I think about it. I said 5'10 cause I thought that was what he was listed as and we all know that you can lose about 3 inches sometimes come draft day.

JIHawg

Quote from: presidenthog on April 23, 2015, 08:20:39 pm
Really I think he was more like 5'7 now that I think about it. I said 5'10 cause I thought that was what he was listed as and we all know that you can lose about 3 inches sometimes come draft day.

I understand he carried the dwarfism gene.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: presidenthog on April 23, 2015, 08:20:39 pm
\
loose three inch?!?!?!  That would make some of us aunts instead of uncles!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on April 23, 2015, 07:49:44 am
Glad to hear Ellis, Williams and Hackett can interchange positions. In the event of an injury this would help keep the quality of the 2nd level consistent.
Josh Harris is a good CBB story...and it helps with depth.

" WOO PIG "

Josh was the leader on Watson Chapel's defense and he's definitely a stud so to me, it's not a surprise that he's doing really well. His dad (Jackie Harris) was a great player himself (Dallas Cowboys).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TheAlphaHog

Can you say Jericho Nelson and Sam Olajabutu (too lazy to check spelling today)......
They were short, always around the ball and packed a big punch.
Woo Pig

snf6278

Justagp

alohawg

Quote from: justmaybe on April 23, 2015, 08:15:04 pm

That justmaybe true.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawgXi

if I'm reading things right, it looks like "harris" was the leading tackler in saturday's RW game.

playing on the white team he recorded 7 unassisted plus 7 assisted for 14 total tackles.

so that would be defending against the 1's.

it will be hard to keep this type effort off the field.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 21, 2015, 10:21:11 pm

-----------------------
Yep, I see where Harris has something like 14 tackles split evenly between solo and assists in yesterday's Red/White game. While it may have only been a scrimmage, it WAS against the starters and certainly not a bad day at all! The kid seems to be all over the place. Assuming he can stay healthy this coming season there are some starting LBs who'd better be giving it their all 'cause this kid is seriously begging to start!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 22, 2015, 07:32:25 am
We all love to hear those success stories about walkon's that love the game but are not the typical size coaches want to sign right a way so they get them to walk on but through hard work and great attitude succeed and earn a spot on the 1st team and a scholarship.
hell yeah. At Arkansas we need a few lucky breaks. Froholdt's buddy could be another. Sometimes college All-Americans aren't NFL guys strictly because they ae too short. I see kids all the time make up for 2 inches or 20 lbs with MAD HEART.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: JIHawg on April 23, 2015, 10:22:32 pm
I understand he carried the dwarfism gene.

By the end of this thread, he'll have shrunk 10-12 inches!
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rzrbackramsfan

Is Reid miller the friend of froholdts from img that walked on? #22.  He was playing with the twos and had a really nice tackle on Henry.  He got burned a few times but looked pretty good for a walk on.

ki285

I also thought Reid Miller looked pretty good for a walk on who should still be in high school right now. He's not afraid to mix it up. Also seems like a good kid. He stopped and talked to my two sons who are 2&7 years old.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 26, 2015, 11:58:33 am
Is Reid miller the friend of froholdts from img that walked on? #22.  He was playing with the twos and had a really nice tackle on Henry.  He got burned a few times but looked pretty good for a walk on.
He is indeed. It will be interesting to see how Reid progresses and improves over the next couple of years. Seems to me there's definitely some potential there. While he did get burned on a couple of passes, I noticed he seemed to be giving it great effort. I think a year or two under the staff's tutoring might do wonders for the young man.

Hog Fan from Camden

I liked what I saw from both Harris and Miller.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Jamie Jones on April 23, 2015, 12:02:01 pm
I thought of him, but couldn't remember how to spell his name. And I wasn't about to get hammered by the grammar police on here. ;)

The Grammar Police have already smelled your fear AND DONE THEIR WORST...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

rzrbaxfan

Josh Harris is the son of former NFL tight end Jackie Harris and is from Pine Bluff.  He played high school ball at Watson Chapel.  This kid as a lot of drive to play big time football.  Don't let his size fool you.  He's a hitter!

NLRHog92

Can't wait to see him sneakily get down the field on special teams and then BAM clean somebody's clock! LOVE this walk-on program that is not only paying dividends by helping out the starters against great scout team players, but also getting some guys that are developing and proving their worth to be eventual contributors on the field. It's also great to get homegrown Hogs that have the passion they do for the state and to play for this team, which in turn keeps relations up as well. Harris in 2014, Miller early enrollee 2015, along with Phillips and Keaton in this last class, and then hopefully Grant Morgan for 2016. Those are some high quality back 7 walk-ons! Keep it going CBB :razorback:

KlubhouseKonnected

I had some classes with Sammy O. He was not 5-10.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

razorbackfan4life

It's funny.  I just watched the spring game and noticed him A LOT.  He was making plays. 

thirrdegreetusker

Legend has it that, when Wayne (Thumper) Harris was already a super-stud at Arkansas, one assistant coach, as a joke, slipped some of Wayne's old high school film in the projector. Asked other coaches to come in and tell what they think of this kid they were looking at. All came in, looked a the film, and said "Too small."

When NFL-HOFer Nick Buonoconti was a senior at Notre Dame, he found out that his own coaches would not recommend him to the NFL guys. He said to one, "But coach, I would run through a wall for you!!!" His coach replied "Yeah, but problem is, you'd leave a real small hole".