Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis Ready to Make Himself a Chicago Mainstay

Started by razobak, June 30, 2015, 11:15:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razobak

Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Biggus Piggus

Very telling + no wonder Portis went pro. His agent, whoever that was, had him sold on the idea that he was going to be a top 15 pick. Wouldn't even work out for anybody below 19th in the draft. THAT IS STUPID. Teams can trade, you know. Why on earth would they limit his workouts? Might have been the reason why he kept falling.

Eventually, I hope Portis can afford better representation. What a botch.
[CENSORED]!

azhog10

I always thought BP reminded me of a poor man's KG. Maybe that's because I was a huge KG fan growing up. Obviously Bobby thinks KG is a comparison to his game, but I have to think Hoiberg may be thinking or at least hoping he is a KG like basketball player. Hoiberg played in Minnesota and saw KG first hand, so here's to hoping that Portis comes anywhere close to the player that KG was.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 30, 2015, 11:40:16 am
Very telling + no wonder Portis went pro. His agent, whoever that was, had him sold on the idea that he was going to be a top 15 pick. Wouldn't even work out for anybody below 19th in the draft. THAT IS STUPID. Teams can trade, you know. Why on earth would they limit his workouts? Might have been the reason why he kept falling.

Eventually, I hope Portis can afford better representation. What a botch.

WOW!  Was that by design?  I would want to work out for every team, if possible.  I guess I'm not familiar enough with the process to know how many teams players in his position normally work out for.  Do they do multi-team workouts ever?  Like pro days in football?

LRHawg

razobak

Quote from: The Hogfather on June 30, 2015, 11:53:53 am
WOW!  Was that by design?  I would want to work out for every team, if possible.  I guess I'm not familiar enough with the process to know how many teams players in his position normally work out for.  Do they do multi-team workouts ever?  Like pro days in football?

Quote from the article:

The Bulls hadn't zeroed in on him before the draft, choosing a strict adherence to their draft board, and hadn't even brought him to the Advocate Center for a workout—his agents wouldn't allow it, seeing no need for Portis to fall anywhere near the 20s.

"Once it got past 19, the (Washington) Wizards were the last team I worked out for. I didn't know where it would fall," said Portis before adding, "I'm very grateful for this opportunity."
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Adam Stokes

The lowest team they had him working out for was the wizards at 19.  At worst it made him drop 2 spots.  You normally don't work out for more than 7 or 8 teams, so he was in the right range.

hoglady

He may not have worked out for the Bulls - but they watched him work out at his agent's training facility in Chicago. And Pippen scouted Portis for the Bulls for days at the SEC tourney.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality