Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Qualls: Torn ACL in Suns workout

Started by Hawg Red, June 15, 2015, 04:27:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

QuoteJonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 2 minutes ago

Terrible news: Arkansas wing Michael Qualls tore his ACL in a workout in Phoenix. Injury diagnosed by the Lakers next day. Out 6-12 months.

Horrible. Sick for him.

The_Iceman

That's awful. So sad for him.

Always a Hog!

ADavisTheGOAT

Man that REALLY SUCKS for him. I hope he has a Broderick Green type recovery...  :razorback:
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

daprospecta

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

zane

RIP LSUfan

Hawg Red

QuoteJonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress 3 minutes ago

Michael Qualls' knee procedure will be conducted by renowned orthopaedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews. No MCL tear reportedly, just ACL.

Hawg Red

Quote from: daprospecta on June 15, 2015, 04:33:46 pm
So what happens now?

Almost no chance of being drafted now. There's really not much of a difference in being an undrafted free agent and a 2nd round pick, but he'll have no way to earn money until he recovers.

SONofHAM

That sucks so bad.  I was looking forward to seeing him get drafted.  Just hope he doesn't lose any of his explosiveness.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

The_Iceman

I wonder if he got an insurance policy?

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 15, 2015, 04:37:52 pm
I wonder if he got an insurance policy?

Let's hope. Maybe he has a really kind agent that will front him some money as well.

panhandlepig

Terrible news. Hate it for Michael and will always wish him the best. He will always be one of my favorite Hogs. I can't imagine how he feels. This sucks.

Huds_HawgTide

Sucks for this young man! Time to get his mind right...got to be mentally strong to come back from this at this point when you were do close to being drafted
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

chiefhawg

Will he be able to return to the UA and complete his degree through his scholarship while rehabbing. Also, Could he use the practice facility?

panhandlepig

Quote from: chiefhawg on June 15, 2015, 05:15:35 pm
Will he be able to return to the UA and complete his degree through his scholarship while rehabbing. Also, Could he use the practice facility?

I hope the answer to those questions are yes.

chiefhawg

Danny J

That is just horrible news.

Remember that fall he took late in the year when he twisted his leg back behind him and he was gimpy after that for a game or so? I wonder if that didn't have something to do with it? Not a doctor so I have no idea.

poloprince

Say it ain't so, this is heartbreaking news.
$PoLoPrInCe$

hawgfan4life

ACL is not a career injury under normal circumstances anymore but it may have ended his chance at an NBA career without a European detour for playing back into prime condition after rehab.  Hope the best for MQ.

latrops

Wow.  Just devastating as it relates to his NBA potential.  He can still wind up there, but the road is likely going to be a bit longer.  The timing could not have been worse. 

Razorod

June 15, 2015, 07:26:41 pm #20 Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:56:24 pm by Razorod
Really do hate to hear this news. Was looking forward to hearing two Hogs' names called during the draft. Would have been nice to have two more Razorbacks to follow.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

opineonswine

rude1

I am simply stunned. The kid was working hard and by all estimations was improving his draft stock, and to have this happen.................One thing for sure is MQ is a hard worker and will use this as fuel to work even harder to overcome this.

HSVhogfan2

Pretty much worked his way onto the draft board of several teams. Just really sucks.

It will make him a stronger man, as adversity always does.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jjdlc

Quote from: chiefhawg on June 15, 2015, 05:15:35 pm

That is a good question, not sure how that works.  He wouldn't be eligible to play at this point, but I don't know if there is any rule about him retaining his scholarship.

oldfart

they have always been good in the past about supporting players to finish degrees

jackflash

I think if you bring a kid and he gets hurt you should have to draft him

secfan30

Quote from: jackflash on June 15, 2015, 09:09:10 pm

Curious who is paying for the surgery?

I do not necessarily feel a team should draft a player if they get hut during a try out, but at least foot their medical bills.

Granny

HognitiveDissonance

I always thought that with Qualls' aggressive playing style that the UA was lucky this didn't happen while he was with the Hogs. He's a high-flyer, takes a lot of bumps and bruises in the lane, and had some close calls before. Guess it finally happened.

It's a catch-22. His attacking style is what made him special so you don't want to tone it down, but he did hit the floor a lot.

trphog

Heartbreaking. Here is to a speedy and full recovery for Mr. walk on air.

maxhog5

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2015, 04:39:43 pm
Let's hope. Maybe he has a really kind agent that will front him some money as well.

Did you really use "kind" and "agent" in the same sentence?

maxhog5

Quote from: jjdlc on June 15, 2015, 09:00:05 pm
That is a good question, not sure how that works.  He wouldn't be eligible to play at this point, but I don't know if there is any rule about him retaining his scholarship.

Nope.  His scholarship is gone and Arkansas is prohibited from providing any aid not available to all students.

dhornjr1

I'll be darned. I just went on DraftExpress.com to check on Qualls and Portis and Qualls wasn't on there. I thought, "What the hell?".

I come on here  to find out why and I see this.

I'll be darned...

k.c.hawg

Quote from: maxhog5 on June 16, 2015, 12:16:19 am
Nope.  His scholarship is gone and Arkansas is prohibited from providing any aid not available to all students.

The foundation has been paying for former athletes to come back to school and get their degree since the 80's.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawg Red

One team to look out for here is the Philadelphia 76ers. They have 5 (!) 2nd round picks in this draft. 5. Taking a guy like Qualls would be right up their alley because they don't need him right now. They have plenty of young guys on the roster and they love to pile up assets. There's also likely a very dry trade market for 2nd rounders this year because the overwhelming sentiment among NBA front office personnel and people that cover the NBA and college basketball is that the crop of NCAA 2nd rounders is very weak. The only bright spot for the 2nd round this year was some of the international guys but just about all of the top 2nd round international prospects pulled out of the draft yesterday. There's hope here for Qualls still, IMO.

popcornhog

Quote from: jackflash on June 15, 2015, 09:09:10 pm

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. It would result in teams not bringing in players -- or at least only bringing in lottery type players for workouts.
WPS

Peppa Pig

This is a quote from Jake Pavorsky:

"Michael Qualls Tears ACL

A bloody Monday got even worse when news got out that Arkansas wing Michael Qualls tore his ACL during a workout, and will be out up to 12 months. I highlighted Qualls as my favorite player in the second round, so this one hurts my soul."

I couldn't have said it better...it certainly hurts the soul.

3kgthog

If he doesn't get picked up based on potential, maybe he can come back and use our facilities and finish school while he rehabs. Assuming the RF does indeed pay for former players to finish. I wonder how many credits he lacks.

Hawg Red

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 16, 2015, 11:06:21 am
If he doesn't get picked up based on potential, maybe he can come back and use our facilities and finish school while he rehabs. Assuming the RF does indeed pay for former players to finish. I wonder how many credits he lacks.

He lacks 13 credits to graduate. He should be able to knock that out if he comes back for the second summer session and the fall semester. Just rehab and finish his degree. Around the spring semester is when he should be getting close to possibly hitting the court again.

Big Nasty 34

I'm sure he has and I'm sure it has been posted, but did MQ actually hire an agent?

ricepig

Dr. Andrews is going to do the surgery.

Breems

Really sucks to work all summer for a spot in the draft and then have it taken from you at the last minute. I hope he can recover and play ball somewhere. It will likely still be overseas.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

RacinRazorback

How unfortunate for MQ! Hopefully this works out for him.

gmarv

what a shame i,m gonna hold out hope that things work out okay for mq.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Iwastherein1969

makes me physically ill...so close to having enough money for the rest of his life...there is no justice in this world sometimes
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Thepigdoctor

Best wishes to you Mr. Qualls, hope for a speedy and full recovery. As Hawg Red stated, there are some teams, most notably the Sixer's who could still take a flyer on him. Really hope someone does, we all know this young man will work very hard to come back better than ever.

Sure hope he has some form of insurance policy, he's got the little one to provide for.

Elvis P Hogg

Life altering news for Qualls
So sad for him
Will have to fight hard to get to the NBA through D league or Europe after recovery  :razorback: