Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michael Qualls pre draft work out video. Looking good!

Started by k.c.hawg, May 30, 2015, 10:24:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

k.c.hawg

I really hope things come together for Michael. He has had a singular focus of getting better from the day he stepped on campus. He has put the work in and improved as much in three years as anyone I remember. He made it known he was determined to work hard and put himself in a position to be able to take care of his child. The guy was an outstanding Razorback that always represented the program in the best light. Wishing him all the luck in the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEG0wjRiqjQ
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

intelligence

Glad to see it. gotta feel like he will find some way to become a star in the league. he worked so hard on his game while he was here i think that he will earn success if he keeps with the formula.

Hawg Red

Quote from: intelligence on June 03, 2015, 03:51:30 pm
Glad to see it. gotta feel like he will find some way to become a star in the league. he worked so hard on his game while he was here i think that he will earn success if he keeps with the formula.

Star?

Eh, I don't know about all that. He'd do well to just find a way to carve out a 10-year NBA career. He's quite a bit away from being a star, but I think he has just about everything else he'd need outside of ball-handling to be a solid rotation guy for a long time.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 04:01:56 pm
Star?

Eh, I don't know about all that. He'd do well to just find a way to carve out a 10-year NBA career. He's quite a bit away from being a star, but I think he has just about everything else he'd need outside of ball-handling to be a solid rotation guy for a long time.

Yeah, and stephen curry was supposed to be a spot up shooter in the NBA. what's that guy doing these days again?

Hawg Red

Step Curry was the 6th pick in his draft. And was much, much better in college.

Qualls might go undrafted.

Surely the difference is not lost on you. But, hey, by all means; compare Qualls to the MVP of the NBA.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2015, 07:16:59 pm
Step Curry was the 6th pick in his draft. And was much, much better in college.

Qualls might go undrafted.

Surely the difference is not lost on you. But, hey, by all means; compare Qualls to the MVP of the NBA.
projected 2nd round - UDFA

Hawg Red

Yes, that's what I said. "Might go undrafted"

Curry was an All-American and had an elite NBA skill. Qualls has so much more work to do than Curry did to become a star, is my point. I think he'll get drafted, but tough to see him ever becoming a star because he doesn't anything at the elite level except be an athlete and the NBA is filled with elite athletes with elite skills to boot.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 04, 2015, 08:18:46 pm
Yes, that's what I said. "Might go undrafted"

Curry was an All-American and had an elite NBA skill. Qualls has so much more work to do than Curry did to become a star, is my point. I think he'll get drafted, but tough to see him ever becoming a star because he doesn't anything at the elite level except be an athlete and the NBA is filled with elite athletes with elite skills to boot.
it might be an uphill battle but i think qualls can do it. i don't think he's as far off as some believe(including you)

Hawg Red

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Nipsey Mussle

As it said on the sixers page, Qualls best case scenario would be around the Gerald Wallace level. There's nothing wrong with that, and he'd make a lot of money for a long time.

At this point, we should just hope he gets paid in the league for a few years.

TrueBlue

Quote from: lefty08 on June 04, 2015, 08:44:50 pm
Blake Griffin

You mean the National Player of the Year in college as a sophomore and the first overall pick in the 2009 draft?

I see the comparisons now.

JayBell

I think the guy's only point was Qualls has the tools and the drive to become a star in the NBA.  I disagree with him too, but why would you doubt Qualls after the yearly progression he showed throughout his college career?  He made major improvements every single year.

A lot of NBA players are drafted on potential, never develop and crash out within a few years.  Others like Steph Curry continue to get better every year.  Just look at Patrick Beverley and the way he developed from the time he left Arkansas to the time he took the starting spot away from Jeremy Lin in Houston.

JayBell

I'm still miffed that so many on here resorted to overcriticizing and even bashing some aspects of Qualls' game just to convince themselves he needed to come back for another season.

jackflash

I think he will get drafted probably second round. I am a New York Knicks fan I hope they select him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayBell on June 05, 2015, 08:41:49 am
I think the guy's only point was Qualls has the tools and the drive to become a star in the NBA.  I disagree with him too, but why would you doubt Qualls after the yearly progression he showed throughout his college career?  He made major improvements every single year.

A lot of NBA players are drafted on potential, never develop and crash out within a few years.  Others like Steph Curry continue to get better every year.  Just look at Patrick Beverley and the way he developed from the time he left Arkansas to the time he took the starting spot away from Jeremy Lin in Houston.

Because you can believe in him and his continued development and still see that he's not going to be a star in the NBA. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's just being realistic. He'd do very well to become a more athletic Thabo Sefolosha or like a Kent Bazemore type. Qualls doesn't have to be a star to be a success in the NBA.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2015, 09:20:03 am
Because you can believe in him and his continued development and still see that he's not going to be a star in the NBA. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's just being realistic. He'd do very well to become a more athletic Thabo Sefolosha or like a Kent Bazemore type. Qualls doesn't have to be a star to be a success in the NBA.

C'mon man. You mean that it's set in stone that no matter the size of this kids heart and no matter how hard he works, it is an impossibility for him to be a star in the NBA.

It isn't probable but it is possible, however remote that possibility may seem to you. Can't the other guy have his opinion too?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 05, 2015, 10:17:30 am
C'mon man. You mean that it's set in stone that no matter the size of this kids heart and no matter how hard he works, it is an impossibility for him to be a star in the NBA.

It isn't probable but it is possible, however remote that possibility may seem to you. Can't the other guy have his opinion too?

He can absolutely have an opinion, and I can have an opinion about his opinion, right? Do I have to agree with it? Is it okay if I disagree? Thought this was America.

At what point did I try to take that guy's opinion away?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: JayBell on June 05, 2015, 08:43:41 am
I'm still miffed that so many on here resorted to overcriticizing and even bashing some aspects of Qualls' game just to convince themselves he needed to come back for another season.

I can agree with this. I can see how I may have done it a time or two. I'm just a selfish fan. For a long time I was miffed about Corliss and Scotty leaving as juniors.  I forgave them both last year.

I wish Bobby would have stayed and Qualls as well so that we could have enjoyed them as Hogs one more time. I guess that's why I may have cosigned on some the Qualls narrative.

I hope that all current Razorback basketball players are banned from reading Hogville but if you do occasionally peruse these fountains of wisdom, I just want to you know we love all of you guys. We just have a weird way of showing it.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2015, 10:21:41 am
He can absolutely have an opinion, and I can have an opinion about his opinion, right? Do I have to agree with it? Is it okay if I disagree? Thought this was America.

At what point did I try to take that guy's opinion away?

Ok.... calm down.... Nobody's going to take away your right to disagree. Yes... this is America (after a quick peek outside) You can have an opinion about everything you want. Now.... put down the knife. We're all going to get through this just fine....... ok?

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 05, 2015, 10:34:14 am
Ok.... calm down.... Nobody's going to take away your right to disagree. Yes... this is America (after a quick peek outside) You can have an opinion about everything you want. Now.... put down the knife. We're all going to get through this just fine....... ok?

The only person that seems to be freaked out about anything is you worried about me not agreeing with someone else's opinion.

rzrbackramsfan

Qualls has that "it" factor.  He's going to be a fan favorite, plus I think his game rises to the level of competition.  I think he's actually a pretty good darkhorse pick to be a star. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 05, 2015, 10:39:07 am
The only person that seems to be freaked out about anything is you worried about me not agreeing with someone else's opinion.

I'm not freaked out. I'm cool. No problem with you. lol as I type. it's only a message board. However, judging from the tone, this entire board is one big freak out. JS.

PonderinHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 05, 2015, 02:07:28 pm
I'm not freaked out. I'm cool. No problem with you. lol as I type. it's only a message board. However, judging from the tone, this entire board is one big freak out. JS.
I appreciate that everyone is entitled to and has their own opinions, but some of stuff that's been posted in here lately is nuckin' futz.

As for Qualls, he needs a basketball in his hands every waking hour for the next two years.  Watch some of Pistol Pete's drills and emulate them - hour after hour after hour after hour.

I hope someone picks him up.

rude1

Was refreshing to hear Qualls say more than once "I can be that lock down defender". That will decide if or how long he stays around in the league. His offensive skills simply aren't elite enough to earn him a roster spot if he can't defend at a high level.

k.c.hawg

The biggest asset Michael Qualls has is his work ethic. There are a few hundred guys that come into college ball every year with a much better skill set than he had, maybe not quite the same athleticism. That guy has worked his butt off to even be part of the conversation while much more talented players have disappeared off the screen.

"If" he can make an NBA roster there is no doubt in my mind that he can be a continual work in progress that can evolve into being a coveted asset for NBA teams. He might have to go to Europe or the D league and put in a couple of years to get the chance. I do think an NBA team will like his work ethic enough, his progression as a player enough and give him a really hard look. It is going to be vital that he be drafted by the right team.

DeMarre Carroll was as close to being out of the league as you can get. But his continual work on improving his game and ultimately landing with the right team is going to allow him to set up his family for generations if he so chooses. A 6'8" guy is going to get a longer look than a 6"5" guy but if things go right I coud see a DeMarre Carroll type situation arising for Michael. I sure hope it does, he has been as solid of a player/person as any Hog we've had in a long, long time.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

arsuperhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 03, 2015, 04:01:56 pm
Star?

I agree.  I think a very fair comparison is that of Patrick Beverly.  He's not a star, but he's a very tough, hard-nosed player who has willed himself to success.  I suspect he'll take the same route Beverly did, and after a few season oversees or the the NBDL, I think Qualls will be a very capable NBA starter.

Biggus Piggus

Qualls had a good chance to go in the upper half of the second round. It's hard to predict because there's a huge knot of international big men who fall around late first / early second, and on top of them are players like Jarell Martin and Jordan Mickey. The second round is of unusually good quality this year.
[CENSORED]!

Hawg Red

Qualls seems to have been injured most of the process here. Hard to get a read on where he might go because of that and, like Biggus said, all the international stash picks that will be going late in the first and then all throughout the second round. Still, I think San Antonio is a sneaky spot in the first round for him. Would love to see him develop in that organization.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 11, 2015, 05:22:18 pm
Qualls seems to have been injured most of the process here. Hard to get a read on where he might go because of that and, like Biggus said, all the international stash picks that will be going late in the first and then all throughout the second round. Still, I think San Antonio is a sneaky spot in the first round for him. Would love to see him develop in that organization.

25 to Griz. they need a big athletic guard

Redbug

in watching Quall's pre draft video...I saw him take & make more "mid-range" jumpers than his entire 3 years here....would have loved to have seen more of those taken during games...

He's got some physical attributes that can be special (wingspan/hops)

Like someone else mentioned he needs to watch some pistol pete videos and live with a basketball 24/7....gotta improve those 'handles" so defenders can't just crowd and close him out. If he gets with the right team they'll improve his game understanding and decision making.

Agree his biggest plus might be work ethic....

He's no where in Patrick Beverly's class as a defender....Beverly KNOWS where to be and what to do....as the draft express eval stated Quall's has to work on not losing his man and losing FOCUS...Time and experience should help...he could be a good defender...

Don't think he's worried about being a "star"...just needs to work his butt off and make a team and then keep it up and have one of those VERY VALUABLE solid 10 year careers...not a lot of those anymore...

Hawg Red

Good news for Qualls today. The majority of the top international 2nd round talent pulled out of the draft today.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2015, 02:12:13 pm
Good news for Qualls today. The majority of the top international 2nd round talent pulled out of the draft today.

Well......actually turned out to be a horrible day for Qualls. Lakers diagnosed a torn ACL for him suffered in a workout with the Suns. Unlikely to be drafted now, which is not a huge difference in and of itself but being out close to a year really sets him back, obviously.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on June 15, 2015, 04:33:33 pm
Well......actually turned out to be a horrible day for Qualls. Lakers diagnosed a torn ACL for him suffered in a workout with the Suns. Unlikely to be drafted now, which is not a huge difference in and of itself but being out close to a year really sets him back, obviously.

Son of a bitch