Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Miles finally deliver

Started by nwahogfan1, May 20, 2015, 07:43:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

May 20, 2015, 07:43:40 am Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:02:47 am by nwahogfan1
and be the leader and player we all thought he would be after transferring from W. Virginia?  He could get the minutes and points vacated by Qualls. Many times the SF is your most athletic and best scorer on the team but hard to recruit because the good ones are rare and often go Pros early.   I would like to get 12-15 points and 10 or so rebounds from that Spot every year.   So is Miles the Man who will deliver???

I am hoping Miles can get it done but Coaches know much more than me.  They see him at every practice and know his skills and work out habits.  So to answer my question is Miles going to be our man to fill in for Qualls it goes to who they are trying to recruit.  If the Coaches are trying to sign a JUCO kid to play the 3 spot instead of a 3 star Freshman it tells me they want immediate help at that spot and do not trust Miles a 5th year senior to deliver..

Your Thoughts.

jry04

Miles had nagging injuries last season. They think he will be good. He started 30+ games as a freshman for a top 25 West Virginia team his freshman year. He clearly has potential to be a big contributor if he can get healthy.

navyhog24

Miles has never had any major impact in any playing time he's had. Yeah, he's athletic and can probably defend pretty decently, but don't expect him to be a major scoring threat or anything

Thepigdoctor

6 points, 5 rebounds, .8 blocks per game. If he's healthy, that's where I think his ceiling is. I'm a big MA guy, but not so much as to not see our glaring problems. I never really thought Miles was anything more than trying to fix the roster problems created by the prior staff.

Off topic, but that is still my biggest concern, how is MA going to get the roster in balance, where every 3-4 years we aren't losing half of our team? Given our recent history, it's going to be hard in today's climate to consistently land elite talent here. Some may not accept that, but we have seen it in the heartbreak of every recruiting battle lost. I give MA huge props for landing Whitt and Kapita, two kids he and the staff desperately needed and can be huge pieces of our future.

jry04

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 20, 2015, 08:02:12 am
Miles has never had any major impact in any playing time he's had. Yeah, he's athletic and can probably defend pretty decently, but don't expect him to be a major scoring threat or anything
He hasn't played meaningful minutes. He was hurt. You are right, he will not be a scorer, though. He has potential to be the best defender we have when healthy, though.

The_Iceman

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 20, 2015, 08:02:12 am

Correct. His impact has been on the defensive end and playing smart basketball. He has never been a big numbers guy.

latrops

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 20, 2015, 07:43:40 am
and be the leader and player we all thought he would be after transferring from W. Virginia?  He could get the minutes and points vacated by Qualls. Many times the SF is your most athletic and best scorer on the team but hard to recruit because the good ones are rare and often go Pros early.   I would like to get 12-15 points and 10 or so rebounds from that Spot every year.   So is Miles the Man who will deliver???

I am hoping Miles can get it done but Coaches know much more than me.  They see him at every practice and know his skills and work out habits.  So to answer my question is Miles going to be our man to fill in for Qualls it goes to who they are trying to recruit.  If the Coaches are trying to sign a JUCO kid to play the 3 spot instead of a 3 star Freshman it tells me they want immediate help at that spot and do not trust Miles a 5th year senior to deliver..

Your Thoughts.

He hasn't proven enough either at West Virginia or at Arkansas to warrant much confidence that he is likely to be an effective 25ish minute per game player.  It could happen, but it shouldn't be expected given his track record.  For that reason we need immediate help.  Hopefully Miles gets it done, but a plan B would be nice, just in case.  A little depth would be nice, as well.

snortman

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 20, 2015, 08:18:31 am
I never really thought Miles was anything more than trying to fix the roster problems created by the prior staff.

HUH?????

bigdaddyhawg

While everything that's been said is pretty accurate, AND I'm not known for being one of the sunshine pumpers on here, I am going to go out on the optimistic limb and say I believe Keaton is going to produce for us this year.

I don't see him being to replace MQ's points or rebounds by himself, but I believe he could be a surprise X-factor and contribute a big part of those totals.

Sometimes hungry seniors rise above their previous struggles and make big contributions.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawg1221

I know he didn't play much and he may have been hurt, but he played timid this last year.

hawginbigd1

This would be the biggest surprise since Mike Washington, became a contributor IMO.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 20, 2015, 11:24:35 am
This would be the biggest surprise since Mike Washington, became a contributor IMO.

How was that a surprise? Washington was a highly recruited 4 star player who had many elite offers. 

King Kong

May 20, 2015, 03:28:11 pm #12 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:39:31 pm by King Kong
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 20, 2015, 11:24:35 am

You must mean Delvon Johnson

The_Iceman

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 20, 2015, 03:27:06 pm
How was that a surprise? Washington was a highly recruited 4 star player who had many elite offers. 
Quote from: King Kong on May 20, 2015, 03:28:11 pm
You must mean Delvin Johnson

Yeah, Mike Washington was a very highly rated player, he was just in a long jam of bigs to start his career.

Delvon was the more impressive to me. His Senior Season was one of the best by a true center that we've had in a while (I could Portis as a PF playing C).

9.6 pts, 7.2 rebs, 2.9 blks per game.

poloprince

Keaton has had an injury plagued career dating back to his WV days. If somehow he can get over the injury bug he should be able to put up similar numbers as Coty Clarke.
$PoLoPrInCe$

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 20, 2015, 03:27:06 pm
I thought he was a bust for as highly recruited as he was, and then his Jr. Year bam he is a legit player. Surprised many the emergence after not contributing at all.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 20, 2015, 05:24:28 pm
I thought he was a bust for as highly recruited as he was, and then his Jr. Year bam he is a legit player. Surprised many the emergence after not contributing at all.

I think it was more a product of being stuck behind Towns/Manimal, and others, along with Heath's style of slow down basketball leading to more minutes for starters. I can see where you are coming from but really once Mike got his chance, he performed as expected.

Big Nasty 34

I think if miles can get truly comfortable on the court then he can have a nice impact. I'm guessing due to injuries he just never got used to the court and looked lost. He can do some good things with his athleticism.

mhuff

June 17, 2015, 12:46:58 pm #18 Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 12:57:02 pm by mhuff
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 20, 2015, 07:43:40 am

Your Thoughts.

Ditto..... I think Miles is like a 7 PPG scorer. Sometimes it depends on when the green light is turned on. We sure need him to kick it up a couple of gears.

mhuff

Quote from: King Kong on May 20, 2015, 03:28:11 pm
You must mean Delvon Johnson

I think that Delvon worked his butt off; however,His junior year we had guards that drove to the basket and threw up junk shots. His senior year we had guards that drove the lane and dropped it off to him for a wide open shot. Funny how good things come when you play BB the way it is supposed to be played.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 20, 2015, 03:38:10 pm
Yeah, Mike Washington was a very highly rated player, he was just in a long jam of bigs to start his career.

Delvon was the more impressive to me. His Senior Season was one of the best by a true center that we've had in a while (I could Portis as a PF playing C).

9.6 pts, 7.2 rebs, 2.9 blks per game.
To be fair though, Keaton was also a highly rated player out of high school.

hawgmasta

So would 8ppg 4-5rbg and 1.5 blocks be considered a delivery by miles? I believe so and would be happy with that production.

Tim

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Tim on June 18, 2015, 04:56:28 am
No.  Wasted scholarship

Please every school has role/bench warmers. That doesn't make them a wasted scholarship. They help with practice and provide something when there number is called like Miles did against Auburn last year

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 18, 2015, 07:28:27 am
Please every school has role/bench warmers. That doesn't make them a wasted scholarship. They help with practice and provide something when there number is called like Miles did against Auburn last year
No school recruits role players unless they are very good at their role.
Until we can agree with role Miles will be very good at will we determine if he scholarship was a waste.  Right now all we have gotten out of him is some practice time(when he hasn't been hurt) and maybe a graduated player helping our GPA.  Lets hope we get more than that this year.  I really want a 6ppg, 6rpg and some blocks out of him this year plus some great leadership.

opineonswine

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 18, 2015, 08:02:14 am
Until we can agree with role Miles will be very good at will we determine if he scholarship was a waste.  Right now all we have gotten out of him is some practice time(when he hasn't been hurt) and maybe a graduated player helping our GPA.  Lets hope we get more than that this year.  I really want a 6ppg, 6rpg and some blocks out of him this year plus some great leadership.

No school goes 13 deep with all 13 playing. They may not recruit them to be a bencher but every school has them because they fill some role.

daprospecta

Two words, one name, Delvon Johnson.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

azhog10

That, in definition is a "role player"........

secfan30

So all 13 Duke players from last years team are going to be drafted? Every team recruits needs, and sometimes these needs are a role... Al Dillard was a role player. Thank goodness we had him.

hawgmasta

We don't really have any true give him the ball kind of guys next year and it will be more of an overall team effort. I would be happy if Miles didn't have great stats but had a few "big games" such as 18pts 7 boards 3 blocks kind of random night.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: secfan30 on June 20, 2015, 06:11:31 pm
So all 13 Duke players from last years team are going to be drafted? Every team recruits needs, and sometimes these needs are a role... Al Dillard was a role player. Thank goodness we had him.
Are you reading before you slam a poster.  I said no one recruits a role player unless they think he will be very good at his role.  Name me our role players and then name me the great stats they will have in their role?

Who are the rebounding role players and what will their stats?
Who are our outside shooting role players and what will be their stats?
Who are our defensive role players and what will be their stats?

You get the drill.  We seem to have a bunch of average role players  which usually leads to being average.  I feel most experts will put us about in the middle of the pack in the SEC and missing the NCAAT  and the NIT.

Enough said.

gmarv

were gonna have to make up points somewhere from all we lost.miles getting 6-8 ppg would be a big help and I think he,ll do it.

secfan30

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on June 22, 2015, 10:57:08 am
Are you reading before you slam a poster.  I said no one recruits a role player unless they think he will be very good at his role.  Name me our role players and then name me the great stats they will have in their role?

Who are the rebounding role players and what will their stats?
Who are our outside shooting role players and what will be their stats?
Who are our defensive role players and what will be their stats?

You get the drill.  We seem to have a bunch of average role players  which usually leads to being average.  I feel most experts will put us about in the middle of the pack in the SEC and missing the NCAAT  and the NIT.

Enough said.

Slamming a poster? I've read enough of your post I could slam your agenda, but I did not even do that.