Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

trey thompson

Started by 770john111, April 15, 2015, 06:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

770john111

April 15, 2015, 06:32:44 pm Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:46:29 pm by 770john111
He will be very good. Mike is high on this guy and very good in class I hear.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: 770john111 on April 15, 2015, 06:32:44 pm
He will very good. Mike is high on this guy and very good in class I hear.

Good I want to win games

HOGINTENNESSEE

He has talked highly of him. We need him to get ready fast now

770john111

Trey thompson ,Moses kingsley and Ted kapita could be a salty group by next march

LaDecima

Trey needs to develop his game before he sees any playing time. His play is too slow for fastest 40 or the SEC. He can be really good if he speeds things up. Don't think, just play.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: LaDecima on April 15, 2015, 08:24:17 pm
Trey needs to develop his game before he sees any playing time. His play is too slow for fastest 40 or the SEC. He can be really good if he speeds things up. Don't think, just play.

And you know this how? Nobody has seen the kid play since HS and he has lost 40 lbs since then

770john111

I believe I heard he lost 35 lbs since arriving . 40 cool

rude1

Coach speak actually means nothing, many times it's to motivate a guy to keep him working hard. Playing time tells you what the coach really believes about a kids ability to contribute.

aar0n

Quote from: 770john111 on April 15, 2015, 06:43:04 pm
Trey thompson ,Moses kingsley and Ted kapita could be a salty group by next march

Don't forget Jimmy "Buckets" Whitt is incoming as well.  And Anton Beard could improve immensely in the offseason, between freshman and sophomore seasons is when the light usually comes on. 

yocdaddy

Fastest 40 minutes is actually just branding and not entirely accurate...
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

The_Iceman

Trey has a good jumpshot and very good passing skills for a guy 6'9". Right now, the game moves a little fast for him. The more playing time he gets, the better he will get adjusted. He is someone who will benefit greatly from some early playing time against lower competition next season.

GuvHog

Quote from: yocdaddy on April 16, 2015, 11:05:57 am
Fastest 40 minutes is actually just branding and not entirely accurate...

It's usually used by people who are still trying to make Mike the second coming of Nolan which is unfair to Mike.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: GuvHog on April 16, 2015, 11:33:52 am
It's usually used by people who are still trying to make Mike the second coming of Nolan which is unfair to Mike.

Um....it's used by Mike himself, and part of the branding of his team which he likely chose, or approved.  So....

azhog10

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 11:36:45 am
Um....it's used by Mike himself, and part of the branding of his team which he likely chose, or approved.  So....
This is very true. I still have a shirt from one of his UAB camps that says "Fastest 40 minutes in basketball".

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 16, 2015, 11:28:57 am
Trey has a good jumpshot and very good passing skills for a guy 6'9". Right now, the game moves a little fast for him. The more playing time he gets, the better he will get adjusted. He is someone who will benefit greatly from some early playing time against lower competition next season.

I'm going to agree with this solely because it makes me feel better after the last couple days. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: azhog10 on April 16, 2015, 11:39:43 am
This is very true. I still have a shirt from one of his UAB camps that says "Fastest 40 minutes in basketball".

It's just Mike being unfair to himself.   :puke:

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on April 16, 2015, 11:41:13 am
I'm going to agree with this solely because it makes me feel better after the last couple days. 

Also, its proper to but his role in perspective. He is backing up Moses at the 5, he isn't expected to be a major contributor. Moses is really the one we need to hope steps up his game.

If Trey could just give us what Moses did last year: 4 points, 3 rebounds, in 10 minutes a game...that would be great.

hogsanity

He was high on Babb too, yet Babb almost never played.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

It's not often that a player goes from doing absolutely nothing as a freshman to a major contributor as a sophomore. I'm sure it happens, but not often.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on April 16, 2015, 11:50:04 am
He was high on Babb too, yet Babb almost never played.

Those two guys last year were true freshmen on a team that was loaded with experienced players. There wasn't much playing time to go around. Babb, Thompson, and even Miles didn't earn it early enough...so it was hard to break the rotation.

Mike is a 4 year developer type coach. He may have been high on Babb and Thompson, but what he was referring to was potential. Both have it, just only one was patient enough to stick around and let Mike develop it.

daprospecta

Quote from: Karma on April 16, 2015, 12:13:23 pm
It's not often that a player goes from doing absolutely nothing as a freshman to a major contributor as a sophomore. I'm sure it happens, but not often.
From someone who has actually done it on the hill, one year in the program makes a world of difference. 

azhog10

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 11:43:54 am
Possibly. Obviously used as a marketing tool to try to get some people to come out and to create a brand with programs he's associated with. The game and how it's officiated has changed quite a bit since Nolan's years. Mike has had to conform to it no matter how people want to put it. Guards just can't get away with what Nolan's teams could do back in the day. CMA does have a system, and obviously will have his work cut out for him this next season. It's easy for us to say he should've known. But with basketball having signing periods before the season ends unlike football. It's really difficult to cover your tail by not over signing.

I understand why CMA tries to not offer kids if he doesn't have the scholarship to do so, but with the 1 and done rule you are going to have to do something. Otherwise you will find yourself in these types of situations. Hopefully we continue to see progress from these recruits like we have seen out of different guys in the past season(s).

Southern Hogspitality

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 16, 2015, 11:43:54 am

That was great!

pfrg999

Trey was a project from the beginning...More time he spends the better he will get
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hawgfan4life

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 16, 2015, 11:28:57 am
Rrriiiigggghhhhhttttt!!!!!!!!!  When was the last time AR had a kid at least 6'9" that had a decent jump shot and good passing skills?  Will never happen.......

Swinesong1

Quote from: hawgfan4life on April 19, 2015, 03:19:07 pm
  Rrriiiigggghhhhhttttt!!!!!!!!!  When was the last time AR had a kid at least 6'9" that had a decent jump shot and good passing skills?  Will never happen.......
Mick is destined for the NBA now that he has good coaching.  So there...

pigsareflying

I'd say Bobby Portis had both, didn't he? 

rzrbackramsfan

I know it's crazy but from the little I've seen of Thompson I agree with iceman.  In warmups vs lsu he was hitting all of his just-inside-the-perimeter shots. I also saw a practice highlight where tt made a sick baseball pass to a player for an easy lay up.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 15, 2015, 08:27:34 pm
And you know this how? Nobody has seen the kid play since HS and he has lost 40 lbs since then

The red white game he was completely lost.  I am on the record then and throughout the year he was in need of a redshirt!

Beaverfever

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 19, 2015, 04:27:52 pm
The red white game he was completely lost.  I am on the record then and throughout the year he was in need of a redshirt!
redshirting basketball players is a lose lose situation.  That's why its become uncommon.

Nipsey Mussle

We really need Trey to come along. I'm not sure that will happen this year but hopefully by the 2016 season. We desperately need rebounding for this season, let's hope he can provide a little help in that aspect.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: aar0n on April 15, 2015, 08:44:54 pm
Don't forget Jimmy "Buckets" Whitt is incoming as well.  And Anton Beard could improve immensely in the offseason, between freshman and sophomore seasons is when the light usually comes on.
true. i wish he'd grow an inch or two over the summer...
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The real Hogules

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 21, 2015, 11:21:32 pm
oliver miller

And don't forget Big Dog, Dwight Stewart! He had decent handles, lit it up from the outside and could see passing lanes and deliver a nice pass almost as good as our guards could, back in the day.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HF#1

Anyone who has an opinion on Trey is pulling it out of their ass.  He hasn't played enough to form an opinion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

latrops

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 19, 2015, 04:27:52 pm
Basketball redshirts are seldom done except for injury or transfer.  In football, you have far more scholarships and true freshmen often need physical development before they can really contribute. 

Thompson hopefully will gradually improve over the next 3 years, starting with this season where he can fill a role similar to what Kingsley has over the past couple of years.  He doesn't have to be great right now to contribute....he just needs to learn how to play in our system without getting out of position.  If he can stay relatively close to the basket he can rebound and challenge shots adequately, which is all that will really be expected of him when/if he is in.

mbgrulz

Quote from: HF#1 on April 22, 2015, 07:41:49 am
Anyone who has an opinion on Trey is pulling it out of their ass.  He hasn't played enough to form an opinion.
I somewhat agree because we haven't seen enough, but then again, he did look behind when he got in during mop up duty. I think its reasonable to question whether or not he'll be able to improve enough to be able to help.

Soooie21

We will be fine next season....There will be players that step up...We might even be a better top to bottom team...

HF#1

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 22, 2015, 11:48:26 am
I somewhat agree because we haven't seen enough, but then again, he did look behind when he got in during mop up duty. I think its reasonable to question whether or not he'll be able to improve enough to be able to help.

Mop up duty early in the year.  Not sure he saw more than a minute in conference play.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

azhog10

Quote from: Soooie21 on April 22, 2015, 03:22:10 pm
We will be fine next season....There will be players that step up...We might even be a better top to bottom team...
I hope we are good, but no way we are a better team, no matter how you want to categorize it.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: azhog10 on April 23, 2015, 05:40:17 pm
I hope we are good, but no way we are a better team, no matter how you want to categorize it.

That is what people said when ________ graduated a lot of players.  Good thing the games are actually played and not decided in June on a internet board.

LA Football fan

So you are going on record that this team is going to win more than 27 games next year right?  I mean that has to happen for them to be a better team.  I think the previous poster had it right, no way they are a better team than last years.

poloprince

Trey is offensively skilled and will probably be the MIP next season. He needed to work on his body and he has done just that. He can make 15-18 foot shots and can rebound very well.
$PoLoPrInCe$

mhuff

Quote from: poloprince on June 20, 2015, 08:38:56 am
Trey is offensively skilled and will probably be the MIP next season. He needed to work on his body and he has done just that. He can make 15-18 foot shots and can rebound very well.

At first I wanted to agree with you; however, I believe that Kingsley's stats will be better across the board..... especially with more playing time. It was hard for Thompson to score sitting on the bench. I strongly disagree with the amount of PT that Babb and Thompson got this past season. It would have been easy for them to get some experience in the nonconference games........ a whole lot of experience.

daprospecta

Quote from: poloprince on June 20, 2015, 08:38:56 am
I seen him about a month ago and didn't recognize him.  He definitely is looking the part of a D1 athlete.