Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

chicken livers for catfish

Started by Kenny Hawgins, September 16, 2009, 02:50:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Hawgins

Just thought I'd share a tip for keeping chicken livers on your hook.  Get some elastic thread from the sewing dept. at walmart for about a buck and wrap it around the liver on your hook.  You don't even have to tie it to make it stay.  Tried this the other day and it worked great.  Also used about a 1/4 of a jar of garlic salt in the tub of livers.  The fish went nuts over it all day.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

YepItsMe

Not a bad idea.  I hate it when they hit it and they are abe to get free and get the dang liver. 

DeltaBoy

I use those I forget the number Trebel hooks and I pull out and sharpen the barbs on mine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: twistitup on September 16, 2009, 08:29:33 am
Channel cats?
i caught a few channel cats along with mud cats.  i've used livers before but i think the garlic salt really made them go nuts.  they were going at the hook as soon as it hit the water.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 16, 2009, 09:48:52 am
I use those I forget the number Trebel hooks and I pull out and sharpen the barbs on mine.
i was going to use a treble but my dad was thinking they weren't legal where we were.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: The Hawgster on September 16, 2009, 01:06:33 pm
I have never had much luck with chicken livers for channel or flathead.   However that is a good tip for using it. 
what do you use?  that's one great thing about cats is they'll eat just about anything.  i've heard of people using soap and scented candles for cats even.

pick_DA_EAGLES

for flathead i like too use live bait, big minnows, shad, small bream-perch, rice field slicks.
last year found some baby grinnel (bout 3" long) in a ditch that was drying up, we got them out and used them as trot line bait and tore the flathead up in white river.

Still-A-Hog

You can lay your chicken livers on a flat rock in the hot sun.  They will get tough and turn brown and then you can tie them on using a small piece of fishing line.  You can make 3 or 4 knots and the liver will be a lot harder to get off.

twistitup

I used chunks of freezer burnt deer steak early this spring....worked well.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Still-A-Hog on September 17, 2009, 06:02:52 pm
You can lay your chicken livers on a flat rock in the hot sun.  They will get tough and turn brown and then you can tie them on using a small piece of fishing line.  You can make 3 or 4 knots and the liver will be a lot harder to get off.
yeah i've heard about that but never tried it. 

btw, does anyone have any tips for getting hotdogs to stay on the hook??  every time i use them, the cats go nuts but it comes right off the hook.

gutshot

I've also heard of people wrapping chicken livers in a piece of panty hose and putting it on the hook.  Never tried it, but I've heard it works. 

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on September 16, 2009, 01:08:41 pm
what do you use?  that's one great thing about cats is they'll eat just about anything.  i've heard of people using soap and scented candles for cats even.

Zote Soap

chedasmom

We use Old Roy Dinner Rounds on our trotline on Beaver...we have caught some good size cats

DeltaBoy

I have also used fresh chicken Gizzards nothing just sucks those things off of a hook.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

pick_DA_EAGLES

the heart & kidneys from a squirrel work really well also. go float a river kill you some bushy tails, clean them, and you have 3 good pieces of bait.

ooo yea, you might want too make sure its squirrel season before attempting this.

twistitup

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on September 29, 2009, 11:54:12 am
the heart & kidneys from a squirrel work really well also. go float a river kill you some bushy tails, clean them, and you have 3 good pieces of bait.

ooo yea, you might want too make sure its squirrel season before attempting this.

I have been curious about squirrel hunting from my boat...I can't find if it is legal or not up here in NW Arkansas (white river arm of beaver, middle fork, etc...) Any ideas?

pick_DA_EAGLES

i believe as long as the gas motor isnt running its fine, the best way is with a trolling motor esp. if your in a creek, river, bayou thats not very wide so you can cover both banks.

DeltaBoy

Using a shot gun and a trolling motor you can have a fun time.