Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FL up by 16 over A&M with...

Started by Swinesong1, March 03, 2015, 09:38:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

Danny J

Unless aTm makes a big comeback we will win 2nd place tonight.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Danny J

Quote from: Breems on March 03, 2015, 10:04:36 pm
A&M goes down.
Yep and no matter what happens from here on out we own second place. Hopefully that will take a bit of pressure off of us Thursday.

BigNasty

Quote from: Danny J on March 03, 2015, 09:39:40 pm
Unless aTm makes a big comeback we will win 2nd place tonight.

Would we win the tie breaker against lsu if they beat us and we lose to USC-e?

BigNasty

texhog

Fl can't make a ft. Choking away big lead.

Danny J

Quote from: BigNasty on March 03, 2015, 10:06:29 pm
Would we win the tie breaker against lsu if they beat us and we lose to USC-e?
I thought I had it figured out but now not so sure lol.....

McKdaddy

Wouldn't we tie w/ LSU if LSU wins out and we lose out?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

passinghog

How is A&M a lock for the tourney at this point? Who have they really beaten?

Danny J

Quote from: McKdaddy on March 03, 2015, 10:18:52 pm
Wouldn't we tie w/ LSU if LSU wins out and we lose out?
Would be a three way tie...aTm lost tonight and I think they win on Saturday at home against Bama. I saw the way the tiebreaker was figured the other day and it showed in that scenario we would take second in that scenario. Maybe it was if there is a 4 way tie. I can't remember now.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 03, 2015, 10:20:46 pm

If LSU doesn't finish in the RPI top 50 they are going to have a very hard time getting in.

138 SOS. Their RPI will now be in the mid 40's. They are the definition of Bubble

BigNasty

3 way tie is record vs. tied teams.

If it is arkansas, lsu and a&m with us losing to lsu-

Ark. - 1-1
A&m- 1-1
Lsu- 1-1

The commissioner would then draw due to tie.

Danny J

Quote from: Danny J on March 03, 2015, 10:24:09 pm
Would be a three way tie...aTm lost tonight and I think they win on Saturday at home against Bama. I saw the way the tiebreaker was figured the other day and it showed in that scenario we would take second in that scenario. Maybe it was if there is a 4 way tie. I can't remember now.
OK...so Ole Miss gets Vandy at home. So assuming they beat Vandy and aTm beats Bama then there is a 4 way tie. I think it would be the record versus other 3 teams:

Ark - 2-2
LSU - 3-2
aTm - 2-2
Ole Miss - 2-3

So...I think LSU would win the tiebreaker.

BigNasty

We just need to take care of business and win Thursday night. 

Danny J

Quote from: BigNasty on March 03, 2015, 10:36:13 pm
We just need to take care of business and win Thursday night.
Or Saturday....

Hogfaniam

The following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken:

1. Won-lost results of head-to-head competition between the two teams.
2. Won-lost record of the two teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceeding through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
3. Coin flip by the Commissioner.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Danny J

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 03, 2015, 10:39:01 pm
The following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken:

1. Won-lost results of head-to-head competition between the two teams.
2. Won-lost record of the two teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceeding through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
3. Coin flip by the Commissioner.
Unless 3 way tie then it is record versus all teams tied. It states:

Three-Team Tie (or more)

When three or more teams are tied, the following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams re- main tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used.

Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 - Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three).
Best winning percentage of the tied teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceed- ing through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
If two teams remain, coin flip by the Commissioner.
If three or more teams remain, draw by the Commissioner

So we would lose out to LSU....I am starting to hate them more than aTm.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Danny J on March 03, 2015, 10:42:33 pm
Unless 3 way tie then it is record versus all teams tied. It states:

Three-Team Tie (or more)

When three or more teams are tied, the following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams re- main tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used.

Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 - Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three).
Best winning percentage of the tied teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceed- ing through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
If two teams remain, coin flip by the Commissioner.
If three or more teams remain, draw by the Commissioner

So we would lose out to LSU....I am starting to hate them more than aTm.

Just beat South Carolina and the rest doesn't matter.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Danny J

Quote from: Hogfaniam on March 03, 2015, 11:26:20 pm
Just beat South Carolina and the rest doesn't matter.
No doubt....game scares me though. Same way the MSU game scared me. We beat them by 20, got them on their home court, chance to beat a top 20 team, nothing to lose and they will be rested after 5 days off. They are better team and better coached than MSU. Hopefully we can at least beat LSU. To be honest I thought 12-6 was going to be really really good coming into this season. So everything now is just gravy.

bigdaddyhawg

March 04, 2015, 10:01:16 am #21 Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:43:08 am by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: Danny J on March 03, 2015, 11:29:08 pm
No doubt....game scares me though. Same way the MSU game scared me. We beat them by 20, got them on their home court, chance to beat a top 20 team, nothing to lose and they will be rested after 5 days off. They are better team and better coached than MSU. Hopefully we can at least beat LSU. To be honest I thought 12-6 was going to be really really good coming into this season. So everything now is just gravy.

Not sure about that part of your comments there.

Since MSU's very slow start, they've actually played decent basketball.  IMO they are under-talented, but I think they play like they are well coached.

IMO if that guy can get some players MSU will be a handful in the future.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

GoHogs1091

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 04, 2015, 10:01:16 am
Not sure about that post of your comments there.

Since MSU's very slow start, they've actually played decent basketball.  IMO they are under-talented, but I think they play like they are well coached.

IMO if that guy can get some players MSU will be a handful in the future.

If I am not mistaken, Frank Martin has made some very complimentary comments in the past regarding Rick Ray's coaching.  Ray did defeat Martin twice during Ray's first season (despite Ray only having 7 available players, and 1 of those 7 being a walk-on).  One of those 2 wins by Ray against Martin that season was in the SEC Tournament.

Rick Stansbury left a colossal mess for Ray to have clean up.  Not long after Ray was hired, Ray had to dismiss 2 of Stansbury's players from the team.  The following aspects have really hindered Ray from getting any sustained momentum.

1.  Numerous injuries to players during Ray's first season.
2.  Rodney Hood transferring.  Ray did all that he could to get Hood to stay, but the decision to transfer was already made before Ray was hired.
3.  A segment of the fanbase/boosters who are still upset that Stansbury was shown the door.

There have been glimpses this season of what Ray/MSU can be (i.e. the win against Florida State, the win against LSU, and the win on the road at Tennessee).  Ray still doesn't have a complete Roster of his players.  Also losing JUCO player, Johnny Zuppardo, to a season ending injury a month before the season  started has been impactful.  Zuppardo is 6'9", and he has a good mid-range shot.  Additionally, Craig Sword had to have back surgery at the beginning of the season, and Sword wasn't 100% until around the middle of January.

Despite the above, some of the losses have been close.

4 point loss to Texas A&M on the road at College Station
6 point loss to Georgia
6 point loss to Ole Miss on the road at Oxford
4 point loss to Alabama (a team that took us to Overtime)
6 point loss to Ole Miss
4 point loss to the Hogs

It is not a matter of if before Ray starts turning those above close losses into wins, but just a matter of when.  It is going to occur because of his coaching.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 04, 2015, 10:46:31 am
It is not a matter of if before Ray starts turning those above close losses into wins, but just a matter of when.  It is going to occur because of his coaching.

I do like his coaching, but you can't win the race without the hosses.  He's got to recruit effectively, and within the rules, to elevate his team into the upper half.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Swinesong1

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 04, 2015, 10:50:29 am
I do like his coaching, but you can't win the race without the hosses.  He's got to recruit effectively, and within the rules, to elevate his team into the upper half.
He doesn't exactly have a roster full of scrubs! 

Breems

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 04, 2015, 10:46:31 am
If I am not mistaken, Frank Martin has made some very complimentary comments in the past regarding Rick Ray's coaching.  Ray did defeat Martin twice during Ray's first season (despite Ray only having 7 available players, and 1 of those 7 being a walk-on).  One of those 2 wins by Ray against Martin that season was in the SEC Tournament.

Rick Stansbury left a colossal mess for Ray to have clean up.  Not long after Ray was hired, Ray had to dismiss 2 of Stansbury's players from the team.  The following aspects have really hindered Ray from getting any sustained momentum.

1.  Numerous injuries to players during Ray's first season.
2.  Rodney Hood transferring.  Ray did all that he could to get Hood to stay, but the decision to transfer was already made before Ray was hired.
3.  A segment of the fanbase/boosters who are still upset that Stansbury was shown the door.

There have been glimpses this season of what Ray/MSU can be (i.e. the win against Florida State, the win against LSU, and the win on the road at Tennessee).  Ray still doesn't have a complete Roster of his players.  Also losing JUCO player, Johnny Zuppardo, to a season ending injury a month before the season  started has been impactful.  Zuppardo is 6'9", and he has a good mid-range shot.  Additionally, Craig Sword had to have back surgery at the beginning of the season, and Sword wasn't 100% until around the middle of January.

Despite the above, some of the losses have been close.

4 point loss to Texas A&M on the road at College Station
6 point loss to Georgia
6 point loss to Ole Miss on the road at Oxford
4 point loss to Alabama (a team that took us to Overtime)
6 point loss to Ole Miss
4 point loss to the Hogs

Do you think MSU has a shot at winning the SEC tournament this year? And do you agree with me that MSU is likely an Elite Eight team next year?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 04, 2015, 10:56:42 am
He doesn't exactly have a roster full of scrubs! 

Didn't say he did.  He's got a few players that could play for the Hogs.

But he's definitely got some spots where he's a bit short (not in height, but in talent).

Looks to me since their slow start they've pretty much been getting their full amount from the talent they have.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on March 04, 2015, 11:05:16 am
Do you think MSU has a shot at winning the SEC tournament this year? And do you agree with me that MSU is likely an Elite Eight team next year?
This is good, Breems.  Very, very good...

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Breems on March 04, 2015, 11:05:16 am

Any team (other than a 16 seed in the NCAAT) has a chance to win in a tournament situation.

If Ray lands 5 Star, Malik Newman, that could make a difference regarding possibly getting to an Elite 8.  Newman's Father played for MSU, so Ray has a chance to land Newman.

Even if Ray doesn't land Newman, the 4 Star, Weatherspoon, who Ray signed, is no slouch.  Weatherspoon is 6'5", whereas Newman is 6'3".  Those 2 dueled in a game this season (Weatherspoon scored 26 points, Newman scored 34 points).

Newman is possibly just a 1 year player, whereas Weatherspoon could stay in College for 2-3 seasons.

Breems

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 04, 2015, 11:24:00 am
Any team (other than a 16 seed in the NCAAT) has a chance to win in a tournament situation.

If Ray lands 5 Star, Malik Newman, that could make a difference regarding possibly getting to an Elite 8.  Newman's Father played for MSU, so Ray has a chance to land Newman.

Even if Ray doesn't land Newman, the 4 Star, Weatherspoon, who Ray signed, is no slouch.  Weatherspoon is 6'5", whereas Newman is 6'3".  Those 2 dueled in a game this season (Weatherspoon scored 26 points, Newman scored 34 points).

Newman is possibly just a 1 year player, whereas Weatherspoon could stay in College for 2-3 seasons.

Things are definitely looking up for MSU basketball. The rest of the SEC better take notice and stop treating them as the annual rent-a-win.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on March 04, 2015, 11:29:25 am
Things are definitely looking up for MSU basketball. The rest of the SEC better take notice and stop treating them as the annual rent-a-win.
I ain't scare!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Breems on March 04, 2015, 11:29:25 am

Missouri is going to take their place.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 04, 2015, 11:30:34 am
I ain't scare!

A return to the Rodney Hood Era doesn't scare you?

GOHOGS1091 is my favorite poster of all time

Uncommon

Maybe it's just me but I don't see how Texas A&M is currently projected to be in the NCAA Tournament.

Uncommon

Quote from: Showtimehog on March 03, 2015, 10:20:46 pm
Did some work and this is their resume:
2014 Texas A&M Aggies
20 Wins
1.   #32 LSU
2.   #32 LSU
3.   #68 Florida
4.   #84 Arizona State
5.   #86 Vanderbilt
6.   #87 Tennessee
7.   #96 South Carolina
8.   #108 Sam Houston State
9.   #155 Auburn
10.   #155 Auburn
11.   #168 New Mexico
12.   #181 Northwestern State
13.   #186 Mississippi State
14.   #191 Missouri
15.   #191 Missouri
16.   #205 Mercer
17.   #237 Hartford
18.   #312 Charleston
19.   #317 Youngstown State
20.   #325 New Orleans

9 Losses
1.   #1 Kentucky
2.   #10 Baylor
3.   #18 Arkansas
4.   #29 Georgia
5.   #33 Ole Miss
6.   #42 Dayton
7.   #45 Kansas State
8.   #68 Florida
9.   #92 Alabama

3 best wins are at LSU, LSU, and Florida.

3 worst losses are at Alabama, at Florida, and vs. Kansas State*.

* denotes game was played in Kansas City, Missouri

Only impressive wins are the two LSU wins and the Florida win.

Only embarrassing loss is at Alabama.

They are 3-8 against the Top 68.

passinghog

Quote from: Uncommon on March 04, 2015, 02:13:45 pm
Did some work and this is their resume:
2014 Texas A&M Aggies
20 Wins
1.   #32 LSU
2.   #32 LSU
3.   #68 Florida
4.   #84 Arizona State
5.   #86 Vanderbilt
6.   #87 Tennessee
7.   #96 South Carolina
8.   #108 Sam Houston State
9.   #155 Auburn
10.   #155 Auburn
11.   #168 New Mexico
12.   #181 Northwestern State
13.   #186 Mississippi State
14.   #191 Missouri
15.   #191 Missouri
16.   #205 Mercer
17.   #237 Hartford
18.   #312 Charleston
19.   #317 Youngstown State
20.   #325 New Orleans

9 Losses
1.   #1 Kentucky
2.   #10 Baylor
3.   #18 Arkansas
4.   #29 Georgia
5.   #33 Ole Miss
6.   #42 Dayton
7.   #45 Kansas State
8.   #68 Florida
9.   #92 Alabama

3 best wins are at LSU, LSU, and Florida.

3 worst losses are at Alabama, at Florida, and vs. Kansas State*.

* denotes game was played in Kansas City, Missouri

Only impressive wins are the two LSU wins and the Florida win.

Only embarrassing loss is at Alabama.

They are 3-8 against the Top 68.

So you're basically saying they're not an NCAA tournament team, since they haven't beaten anyone that's likely to be in the field of 68.....