Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SI's innovative coaches in basketball...

Started by McKdaddy, March 02, 2015, 12:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HSVhogfan2

Great to see Nolan getting the national recognition that he has always deserved.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Atlhogfan1

Deserved. 

Interesting to read Iba's contribution regarding his tempo and to think that Nolan is a part of the Iba tree and was influenced by his defense. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hoggish1

So, it's an innovation to convince 9 MacD All Ams to play 20 mins?  Amazing innovation...

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 02, 2015, 12:59:18 pm
So, it's an innovation to convince 9 MacD All Ams to play 20 mins?  Amazing innovation...
You don't think Calipari has fundamentally changed the game? Not only in recruiting, but he brought the dribble drive motion offense to CBB at Memphis.

Dropkick

Quote from: Karma on March 02, 2015, 01:25:42 pm
You don't think Calipari has fundamentally changed the game? Not only in recruiting, but he brought the dribble drive motion offense to CBB at Memphis.
Per wikipedia.................

"the dribble drive motion is an offensive strategy in basketball, developed by former Pepperdine head coach Vance Walberg during his time as a California high school coach and at Fresno City College."

Just in case Calipari led you to believe he invented it.

onebadrubi

Cal is not teaching the game, he's balancing ego's with the uber talented. 

Paul

Quote from: Dropkick on March 02, 2015, 01:35:10 pm

"the dribble drive motion is an offensive strategy in basketball, developed by former Pepperdine head coach Vance Walberg during his time as a California high school coach and at Fresno City College."

Thanks!

HSVhogfan2

How many Final Fours did Fresno City College go to? Pretty much every idea or innovation is copied from someone else. Calapari copied it, refined it, and put it on a much bigger stage. It happens all the time in pretty much every field.

Damn, I hate Wikipedia.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

So Calipari didn't bring it to college because a guy at Fresno City college ran it first? I didn't say Calipari invented it, but he brought it to college basketball. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Karma on March 02, 2015, 07:16:32 pm
So Calipari didn't bring it to college because a guy at Fresno City college ran it first? I didn't say Calipari invented it, but he brought it to college basketball.
I'm pretty sure Pepperdine and Fresno City College are colleges.

Jackrabbit Hog

"Dribble drive motion offense."    I'm no basketball wizard so smite me all you want, but in terms of an actual offensive attack, all that means is recruit the nation's best point guard (which he has done for about 10 consecutive years, dating back to Memphis) and let him do his thing.  He'll either drive and shoot or drive and dish.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sophisticated "dribble drive motion offense."

Oh, and be sure and wear Armani suits, slick your hair back and scream a lot on the sidelines for no apparent reason.  And when your team loses, you blame it on them not buying into your system, or say that some of them are just uncoachable.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Let's hope UK never gets rid of Calipari as it appears from Hogville he's a hack. A real coach could do better than 29-0.

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 02, 2015, 07:44:02 pm
I'm pretty sure Pepperdine and Fresno City College are colleges.
Yep, Fresno City College and Kentucky are identical situations.  That's also why the coach at Arkansas Tech makes more than Mike Anderson.

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 02, 2015, 07:51:13 pm
"Dribble drive motion offense."    I'm no basketball wizard so smite me all you want, but in terms of an actual offensive attack, all that means is recruit the nation's best point guard (which he has done for about 10 consecutive years, dating back to Memphis) and let him do his thing.  He'll either drive and shoot or drive and dish.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sophisticated "dribble drive motion offense."

Oh, and be sure and wear Armani suits, slick your hair back and scream a lot on the sidelines for no apparent reason.  And when your team loses, you blame it on them not buying into your system, or say that some of them are just uncoachable.

and, you're wrong.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/DribbleDriveMotionOffense.html

Jackrabbit Hog

March 02, 2015, 08:12:40 pm #15 Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:25:16 pm by Jackrabbit Hog
Quote from: Karma on March 02, 2015, 08:05:34 pm
and, you're wrong.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/DribbleDriveMotionOffense.html

I'm sure I am, and I don't care.  I despise the guy and while he may be the spawn of Henry Iba and John Wooden, I still think he owes 99% of his success to the fact that he seems to always have far and away better talent than anyone else in the country.

Look, he's a great recruiter, and unbelievable salesman, and the perfect coach for a program like UK (well, until banners start coming down).  But I can't talk rationally about the guy; he's just pond scum.

Okay, after originally posting this, I actually read the article that was linked.  Read the whole thing.  I wasn't as wrong as I thought.  Point guard drives, breaks the defense down, and has options.  And as I said, if you have the nation's best point guard every year, he generally does well with those options.  It ain't exactly nucular physics.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hoggish1

Calamari has brought greed and corruption to college basketball.  I'd agree to that, but not much else about him.

Hoggish1

But wait, what about "Their so young!?"

MountieDawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 02, 2015, 08:12:40 pm
I'm sure I am, and I don't care.  I despise the guy and while he may be the spawn of Henry Iba and John Wooden, I still think he owes 99% of his success to the fact that he seems to always have far and away better talent than anyone else in the country.

Look, he's a great recruiter, and unbelievable salesman, and the perfect coach for a program like UK (well, until banners start coming down).  But I can't talk rationally about the guy; he's just pond scum.

Okay, after originally posting this, I actually read the article that was linked.  Read the whole thing.  I wasn't as wrong as I thought.  Point guard drives, breaks the defense down, and has options.  And as I said, if you have the nation's best point guard every year, he generally does well with those options.  It ain't exactly nucular physics.

If he is pond scum would his former players keep coming back to Kentucky, would Wall, Cousins and Davis say how much he helped them in life and their game. He has helped raise millions for charities.

If he is the demon you portray could he get 9 All Americans with NBA aspirations agree to share for the good of the team. Who would you say is the coach with the highest morals and the best for the game?
SEC!

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 02, 2015, 04:03:53 pm
How many Final Fours did Fresno City College go to? Pretty much every idea or innovation is copied from someone else. Calapari copied it, refined it, and put it on a much bigger stage. It happens all the time in pretty much every field.

Damn, I hate Wikipedia.

I'm glad you are posting on a message board and not on talk radio. No way we could understand you with your mouth full of cals junk all the time.
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 02, 2015, 08:45:29 pm
If he is pond scum would his former players keep coming back to Kentucky, would Wall, Cousins and Davis say how much he helped them in life and their game. He has helped raise millions for charities.

If he is the demon you portray could he get 9 All Americans with NBA aspirations agree to share for the good of the team. Who would you say is the coach with the highest morals and the best for the game?

That's a very good question.  I honestly don't know because I don't know any of the coaches personally.  I'm sure there are some out there that have high morals but the money has gotten so out of hand that the "win at all costs" mentality has permeated all of big time college basketball. 

I've heard about Calipari's charitable endeavors and I applaud him for that.  He may teach Sunday School and help with Special Olympics.  But I don't know him so I can't say for sure. 

All I have is an opinion based on observation over the past 20 years, since he first came to prominence at UMass.  When it comes to competing in college basketball, I don't think you can hold him up as a moral man.  You  mention Wall, Cousins and Davis....I'm sure they all love Cal because he helped them get to where they wanted to be - successful and financially secure NBA players.  They come back to Kentucky because that's what college basketball players who have success do - they go back and support their coach and their alma mater.  I go to about 2 UA basketball games in Fayetteville a year, and every game I've ever attended it is easy to see the former players in attendance.  So yes, I'm sure Cal can point to scores of former players that will readily vouch for him.  He's helped make them successful.  But at what price overall to the game?  And is he really playing on a level playing field with the rest of college basketball?  History tells us no, he's not. 

When I hear him in an interview, like the one last week, saying in no uncertain terms that his primary goal is to get his players drafted, it tells me a lot.  No mention of the team; just getting players drafted.  I wonder how that made UK's AD feel?  Right now, since they are undefeated, he probably doesn't mind at all.  But what about when that next dysfunctional group comes along that he can't handle?  We'll see.

Hogfaniam

Don't forget "flap your arms"
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HSVhogfan2

The key element is proper spacing. Also, your low post players are sacrificing their game to an extent because they don't post up (don't want to clog the lane), but are positioned at the elbow or opposite block. Guards penetrate, big men rotate to try to catch a lob or easy rebound, if the interior defense is sound, then you kick it back out for an open 3.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

dhornjr1

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 02, 2015, 08:12:40 pm

Yeah, the dribble-drive has no set plays. You rely on your players to make the right decisions with the basketball. There are no "Get the ball to this area of the floor and get it to this guy" kind of sets. It's just, "Get the ball and make the right decision with it depending on the circumstances at the time".

lefty08

Yeah, he also developed the platoon sub system....GTHOH
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 02, 2015, 08:45:29 pm

So did petrino
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: lefty08 on March 03, 2015, 05:57:17 am
Yeah, he also developed the platoon sub system....GTHOH

Anybody remember Eddie Sutton's "go-go" team during his very early years with the Hogs?  He would put a fresh 5 in at a set time in the first half, let them play about 5-7 minutes under strict orders to play defense like crazy and hold the other team down until the starters were fresh.  If we had a decent lead, he would do the same thing in the second half.  I don't remember everybody on that "platoon", but two of them were Trey Trumbo and Chris Bennett. 

Such an innovator, that Eddie Sutton.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Karma on March 02, 2015, 08:03:37 pm
Yep, Fresno City College and Kentucky are identical situations.  That's also why the coach at Arkansas Tech makes more than Mike Anderson.

Pepperdine is a university that plays Division I basketball. Quit hedging.
[CENSORED]!

WarPig88

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 03, 2015, 08:23:20 am
Anybody remember Eddie Sutton's "go-go" team during his very early years with the Hogs?  He would put a fresh 5 in at a set time in the first half, let them play about 5-7 minutes under strict orders to play defense like crazy and hold the other team down until the starters were fresh.  If we had a decent lead, he would do the same thing in the second half.  I don't remember everybody on that "platoon", but two of them were Trey Trumbo and Chris Bennett. 

Such an innovator, that Eddie Sutton.

On a serious note, Sutton and Denny Crum were innovators in the sense that they brought the idea of the big guard to the college game

Dr. Starcs

Calipari did not bring dribble drive to college ball

That would be Vance Walberg....he introduced it to Cal.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Walberg