Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - What Will It Take for Fans to Come Back to Razorback Basketball

Started by Robert Shields, March 02, 2015, 11:15:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

What Will It Take for Fans to Come Back to Razorback Basketball?

Robert Shields

The Razorback basketball team got drubbed in Lexington on Saturday by a Kentucky team that looked more like the San Antonio Spurs minus the great coach.

With basically a full roster of McDonald's All-Americans, the Wildcats came to play and seemed to be very aware that the Razorbacks had won an incredible four out of the last five games against them. Stop for a second and let that stat sink in before getting too critical about Saturday's loss.

Some fans will take Kentucky's emphatic win as an opportunity to pile on Razorback Coach Mike Anderson and say he is an inadequate coach, which is ridiculous considering this season's edition is the best Razorback basketball team in the last 15 years maybe.

Although fans have come back since the ensuing decade of disaster that awaited the program after running off Nolan Richardson, the Razorback nation still displays a lot of apathy about basketball.

I had one friend ask me on Saturday, "When do the Razorbacks play Kentucky, tonight?" I told him the game was over, but at least I give him credit for knowing who the team was playing.

I don't think his lack of interest in the basketball team is all that unique. More fans are geared up about baseball starting or the anticipation of spring football. The love of basketball is just not there, and if you need evidence just look around at how many people at your workplace are not talking about the weekend's game every Monday.

I never realized the depth of the damage that was done after Nolan Richardson left the Program until this season.

Years ago, I knew the apathy was bad when people railed on KATV for bumping "Lost" to late night to show a Razorback basketball game instead. In my day, it used to be the other way around.

I knew a lot of the foundation for Razorback basketball had to be rebuilt, but I never realized the indifference people had developed over basketball over the last 15 years.

The lasting legacy of the people who fired Nolan is that in the following years they showed people that they could live without Razorback basketball.

Even in the midst of a 17-game SEC losing streak, Razorback fans were still engaged with the football team. The previous football coach had success, and people still had that taste of victory in their mouth.

But this season in basketball as the Razorbacks have climbed to being the second-best team in the conference, fans are still somewhat indifferent and should be more excited about this team heading to the NCAA tournament.

When was the last time the Razorbacks were even in a discussion about tournament seeding? Do Razorback fans even know what that means anymore?

I'm not sure Razorback fans have fully engaged basketball since the team of Kareem Reid, Derek Hood, and Pat Bradley in 1999. That's just how long it has been. Freshmen at the UofA this year probably don't even realize the second-highest paid player in the NBA, Joe Johnson, played in the Razorback red or his thrilling SEC basketball tournament championship in 2000.

The Razorbacks have had two eras of successful basketball in my lifetime. The first was under Eddie Sutton, who developed a great team with the Triplets featuring sophomore Sidney Moncrief and juniors Ron Brewer and Marvin Delph -- all of them Arkansas kids.

They won every game in the regular season but one against Memphis State and then went to the NCAA tournament and played an ever-tough ACC team in Wake Forest. The Razorbacks jumped out to a big lead, but Sidney Moncrief got in foul trouble in the second half and the Hogs wilted to the Demon Deacons trapping press.

That was the season that made all the Razorback football fans intrigued with the basketball team, and the next season the team arrived on the national scene when they beat powerhouse UCLA in the sweet sixteen of the NCAA tournament on their way to the final four. Fans were hooked.

Eddie Sutton left and Nolan Richardson arrived. The basketball Program went into the tank and fans got disengaged and one can only guess how bad it could have gotten if Cannon Whitby hadn't earned his scholarship against Arkansas State in that historic NIT game.

But, luckily, the Powers that Be didn't get that chance that year and had to wait over a decade before Nolan had another losing season before they could fire him. Nolan went on to form his own triplets in Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, and Oliver Miller. They made the NCAA tournament their freshmen year but were stopped early in the tournament by a talented Louisville team.

The next year they made the final four and began an incredible run in college basketball for the Razorbacks that has not been duplicated. Fans were again even more hooked.

But then they fired Nolan, and fans stopped going to games, then stopped watching on TV, then stopped caring. It's proof that apathy is worse than fans being mad or hating on their team.

Mike Anderson is doing all he can to bring back the magic, but the fans have largely not returned.

So, what does it take for the third genesis of successful Razorback basketball? In my estimation, it will take a trip to the sweet sixteen in the NCAA tournament to reawaken the fan base.

This team is talented enough to do it, and this coach has proven he is capable of doing it.

Send your basketball renewal plan to fromthebench@yahoo.com

zane

RIP LSUfan

Dr. Starcs

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogfan1660

The_Iceman

Hog Fan from Camden

Piggfoot

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PennHOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 02, 2015, 11:36:38 am
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

According to this, college basketball is less popular than auto racing, the NBA and NHL. 

Yeah but that is irrelevant for Razorback sports fans.  In general I'm a sports fan but because of Arkansas, College Football is #1 and College Basketball is #2.  I never left.  But it got pretty unwatchable and before I got Xfinity it was very difficult to watch games unless I found some sort of illegal feed on the internet.  It seems Arkansas football was always on TV.  Even when they were bad.  But with basketball there's too many games to show irrelevant teams.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

phadedhawg

The apathy is depressing.  I've been hounding all my Razorback friends/family to show some support for the basketball team.  I have to text them to remind them when the game is on and most don't even bother to tune in until the 2nd half. 

Of course that's all anecdotal but yeah...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PennHOG on March 02, 2015, 11:46:21 am
Yeah but that is irrelevant for Razorback sports fans.  In general I'm a sports fan but because of Arkansas, College Football is #1 and College Basketball is #2.  I never left.  But it got pretty unwatchable and before I got Xfinity it was very difficult to watch games unless I found some sort of illegal feed on the internet.  It seems Arkansas football was always on TV.  Even when they were bad.  But with basketball there's too many games to show irrelevant teams.

It isn't irrelevant for all.  College basketball has changed and some of it for the worse which is what Scott's link discusses.  This relates back to fans interest in college basketball including the Hogs.  Other factors have contributed to our specific situation.  But many of our own games this season have lacked entertainment value outside of those hardcore Hog basketball fans.  Shields' conversation with the other fan asking what time the UK game was isn't uncommon. And the popularity of football in comparison is also relevant. 

We do still have one of the most balanced fan bases in college sports.  When discussing interest in our program though we have to acknowledge what is happening across college basketball as well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PennHOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 02, 2015, 11:55:12 am
It isn't irrelevant for all.  College basketball has changed and some of it for the worse which is what Scott's link discusses.  This relates back to fans interest in college basketball including the Hogs.  Other factors have contributed to our specific situation.  But many of our own games this season have lacked entertainment value outside of those hardcore Hog basketball fans.  Shields' conversation with the other fan asking what time the UK game was isn't uncommon. And the popularity of football in comparison is also relevant. 

We do still have one of the most balanced fan bases in college sports.  When discussing interest in our program though we have to acknowledge what is happening across college basketball as well. 

Even if Arkansas fans have lost interest in College basketball I still think that nationwide poll can not be used as a reference when talking about the Arkansas fan base.  I recall a thread here a couple weeks ago that had a link to a US map showing favorite teams by state.  I think only Arkansas and Nebraska listed non professional teams.

My point is we're pretty different.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PennHOG on March 02, 2015, 11:59:37 am
Even if Arkansas fans have lost interest in College basketball I still think that nationwide poll can not be used as a reference when talking about the Arkansas fan base.  I recall a thread here a couple weeks ago that had a link to a US map showing favorite teams by state.  I think only Arkansas and Nebraska listed non professional teams.

If you are trying to convince me that college football and college basketball are the two most popular sports in Arkansas or at least among Hog fans, then okay.  I'm sure some Cardinal and Cowboy fans would push the % for NFL and MLB up some but these will mostly be Hog fans first.

If we are so different, why has interest seemingly declined?

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PennHOG

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 02, 2015, 12:04:08 pm
If you are trying to convince me that college football and college basketball are the two most popular sports in Arkansas or at least among Hog fans, then okay.  I'm sure some Cardinal and Cowboy fans would push the % for NFL and MLB up some but these will mostly be Hog fans first.

If we are so different, why has interest seemingly declined?

Yeah.  That's what I'm saying.  Our listing would look much different.  However, to your point, NFL would probably still rate higher than College Basketball.  But then would it have been that way in the mid 90's?  Don't know.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 02, 2015, 12:05:06 pm
ALL of which you can drink at the event except one............ :-\

Some college basketball arenas sell alcohol. 

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 02, 2015, 12:07:31 pm
Some college basketball arenas sell alcohol. 

True. I was only trying to lighten things up a little. I guess I failed.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 02, 2015, 12:17:20 pm
True. I was only trying to lighten things up a little. I guess I failed.

Sorry.  Many don't.  It could help if they would. 

Inhogswetrust

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 02, 2015, 12:11:25 pm
1 and done killed basketball for me.

Yep, fans got their fill of investing loyalty in players who, assuming NBA promise,  would leave them with nothing but a Dear John letter at the end of a season.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 02, 2015, 12:19:28 pm
Sorry.  Many don't.  It could help if they would. 

I attend quite a few Grizzlies games a year. I have attended Memphis tiger high games at the FedEx Forum a couple of times also. It was nice to be able to have a drink if you desired. It does not impact the crowd behavior adversely any more than a game without out. There is security just like at all sports events now.

BigE_23

I don't know, why don't you ask this question in Jump Ball?

oh...and I didn't read it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 02, 2015, 12:34:38 pm
I attend quite a few Grizzlies games a year. I have attended Memphis tiger high games at the FedEx Forum a couple of times also. It was nice to be able to have a drink if you desired. It does not impact the crowd behavior adversely any more than a game without out. There is security just like at all sports events now.

I think it makes more sense for basketball than other sports.  You don't have the tailgating warmup you do for football.  There are some NFL stadiums I have thought I may have to fight my way out of especially night games.  You don't have the physical energy of hockey nor the heat and length of baseball games.  Basketball games are shorter.  2 hours as long as Bruce Pearl isn't coaching one of the teams.  I say serve beer for the first 25-30 minutes of the game. 

The_Iceman

hogsanity

For most people college basketball has become a 3 weeks sport. They want to fill out their brackets, watch the 1st weekend of the ncaat, then cray about how some 13 seed blew up their bracket, or how they picked all 1 seeds and two of them are already gone. Your team either makes the ncaat or it does not, and except for about a dozen "bubble" teams you know by now if they are in or not. The Hogs were a lock for a 5-7 seed as soon as they beat old miss in Oxford, no real drama left. Sure, the more ardent fans want them to get the double bye in the sect, but most fans think double bye means someone is picking up two rounds at the bar.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Post this junk on your moms fridge after she makes your afternoon PB&J. She probably won't read it either.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

gmarv

Quote from: PennHOG on March 02, 2015, 11:59:37 am

My point is we're pretty different.
I too believe we are different,i never left also.but then you could put a razorback uniform on one  kid and any other teams uniform on another kid and have them play tittlewinks and I,m watching and cheering that kid in the razorback uniform.so maybe I,m not a good test subject.

The_Iceman

WMHawgfan

Can you keep your drivel to the football program? you do not need to clutter up two forums with your foolishment.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 02, 2015, 02:12:22 pm
This P.O.S. post just got mentioned on Bo Mattingly's show.

I heard.  Bo's credibility just took a big hit.  Maybe he should have Shields on regularly like Dudley or Clay.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

thirrdegreetusker

The decline in attendance did not suddenly happen after Nolan left. Attendance was down by 5000 per game (compared to '95) by the time NR left.

Not Nolan's fault. There were LOTS of tickets for sale outside BWA, for almost any game, even while we were going 63-10 in those first two seasons. Bottom line, we built BWA too big.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 02, 2015, 02:20:36 pm
I heard.  Bo's credibility just took a big hit.  Maybe he should have Shields on regularly like Dudley or Clay.

I would call in just to say: "Did Not Listen"

william.lane123

The one and done has done it for me as well.  Also,  was anyone really surprised that Arkansas lost against KU, and to make my point would you really be surprised if we lost the last two games.  If not then there you go!!!!

zane

RIP LSUfan

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Bo has credibility?

Thepigdoctor

When a guy named, wait who is Robert Shields? started makin trouble in my neighborhood

umpqua

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on March 02, 2015, 02:27:58 pm
The decline in attendance did not suddenly happen after Nolan left. Attendance was down by 5000 per game (compared to '95) by the time NR left.

Not Nolan's fault. There were LOTS of tickets for sale outside BWA, for almost any game, even while we were going 63-10 in those first two seasons. Bottom line, we built BWA too big.
Walmarts shareholder meetings.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Hogfaniam

LSU game is sold out.  Can't do much better than that.  Well, besides win the game.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

HawgTide

Robert is probably sitting in his mom's basement with a semi right now

TNhawgfan

I immediately skip all of the op and get to where everyone makes fun of rs' posts. I enjoy those so much
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

DOGALUM

Quote from: HawgTide on March 02, 2015, 05:21:50 pm
Robert is probably sitting in his mom's basement with a semi right now
Or in the girl's bathroom........
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!