Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Of course the refs did not cost us the game, but...

Started by HOGGvol, March 01, 2015, 03:56:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lribookend

Quote from: jfred59 on March 01, 2015, 09:14:41 pm
Please tell me what kind of Kentucky moonshine you are drinking?  Cal is well known as a cheater.  The NCAA could be presented with video, audio, photos and anything else and they would look the other way.  He is slime and everyone knows and admits it except you folks in KY.  Please remind how much you defended him when he leaves and a year or so after you get stripped of your championships he wins.

I do drink beer, but don't care for moonshine or even bourbon. So Cal is well known as a cheater? Really, by who? I thought it was North Carolina that was in the middle of an academic scandal? Or maybe Syracuse under Boeheim? Or Calhoun back when he was at UCONN?  No the NCAA must love Cal. (kind of ironic, because Cal is one of the most NCAA-critical coaches out there).

I am also certain that the reason top recruits want to play for him is because he will have someone drop a couple grand on the parent's porch. OOPs, maybe I am confusing him with Eddie Sutton (sorry).

Truth is, maybe, just maybe, good players want to play at Kentucky because

1) It greatly helps their chances of not only getting to the NBA but being successful there;
2) They get lots of playing time as a freshman;
3) They play in front of mostly packed stadiums (even away games are packed, although 50% of the fans may be UK fans)
4) They practice every day against players who will also be in the NBA. I hear that often the UK practices are more intense than playing other SEC teams.
5) They have a better opportunity to play for championships at UK than at most other schools
6) They are on television all the time
7) UK's former players under Cal have nothing but positive things to say about him.

Oh, and you need to come up with something better than UK being stripped of victories after he leaves. That old saw has been played since the day Cal stepped in the door. WIshful thinking by Cal haters.

I won't mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars he has donated to charities, or the millions of dollars he has raised from fans, or the community service work at hospitals/nursing homes or hurricane -ravaged nations like Haiti, or tornado-devastated communities like Whitesburg, KY, that he and his team are required to participate in each year.
Nah, he is just scum...why? because you and everyone outside of KY just "knows it". I don't want to confuse you with any facts, as your opinion is already solidified based on, well, whatever it is based on.

Envy taints everything that one looks at.

Still, I respect the vast majority of Arkansas fans, and I am married to an Arkansas lady (she lived in North Little Rock until 6 years ago, when she moved here). She loves her hogs, and roots for them when they play UK. But she sees a lot of things here locally that AR fans probably don't, because Cal avoids publicity when he and his team are doing good things.
In my opinion, Cal doesn't need to cheat in order to recruit and win basketball games. I guess we just have different opinions on that.
Wildcat Larry

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PonderinHog

Quote from: lribookend on March 02, 2015, 09:25:59 am

Truth is, maybe, just maybe, good players want to play at Kentucky because

World Wide Wes.

lribookend

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 02, 2015, 09:29:16 am
World Wide Wes.

Wow, I haven't heard his name mentioned for 2 or 3 years now. Of course, Cal is also friends with Bill Clinton, JAY-Z (or whatever he is called....I know zilch about rappers or current musicians), and regularly interacts with hundreds of other hi-profile people.

But just so I understand, Cal gives money to Wes, who gives it to the players or their families so they will go to UK rather than other schools? Really? Maybe you should report this to the NCAA so they can investigate it. I am sure they never even thought about the possibility. Also, most Micky-D players plan to be millionaires in a year or two, if they go to the right school, get the most exposure, play against the best players, etc. To insinuate that every player that signs with UK sells themself for a couple thousand dollars is not very convincing. Sandy Bell (chief compliance officer at UK) was hired after the Eddie Sutton fiasco. Since she was hired, UK has not had a single compliance issue, even having had three more coaches: Pitino, Gillispie, and Cal. But the NCAA must also  be paid off by Wes, right?  ;D
Wildcat Larry

HOGGvol

To all of the posters who keep saying that my original post was all about blaming the refs for the KY loss, just believe whatever you want. I am sorry that I tried to have an intelligent conversation with people who can only see things in black and white. No matter how many times that I have said that I am NOT blaming the KY loss on the refs, several posters are still complaining that my post was all about blaming the refs for the loss.

To summarize the posts, the timing of bad calls and no-calls has no impact on a game at all. It also appears that if we only had a team full of 7' players we could do just about anything we want in the paint and it would be totally okay. After all, its those pesky guards (like the ones we have) that deserve all of the foul calls. And, if you are the home team, you should not expect to have fouls called on you anyway because, you know, SEC.

I am glad to see that there are so many experts regarding what constitutes good and fair officiating on this board.

hogsanity

Quote from: HOGGvol on March 02, 2015, 12:55:20 pm
To all of the posters who keep saying that my original post was all about blaming the refs for the KY loss, just believe whatever you want. I am sorry that I tried to have an intelligent conversation with people who can only see things in black and white. No matter how many times that I have said that I am NOT blaming the KY loss on the refs, several posters are still complaining that my post was all about blaming the refs for the loss.

To summarize the posts, the timing of bad calls and no-calls has no impact on a game at all. It also appears that if we only had a team full of 7' players we could do just about anything we want in the paint and it would be totally okay. After all, its those pesky guards (like the ones we have) that deserve all of the foul calls. And, if you are the home team, you should not expect to have fouls called on you anyway because, you know, SEC.

I am glad to see that there are so many experts regarding what constitutes good and fair officiating on this board.

Almost 2 decades ago the NCAA cracked down on hand checking and other physical play by guards in an attempt to open up offense. Big men have been allowed to " play rough " for sixty+ years. When the Hogs had physical big men like Williamson Wilson Wallace Morris and Robinson, no one cared that they let big men play rough because the Hogs had big men that could do that.

I would like to hear from the basketball refs on the board, guys that call hs or higher. What would basketball be like if physical play was not allowed inside?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountieDawg

March 02, 2015, 01:21:35 pm #56 Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:11:00 pm by MountieDawg
Quote from: NorthDallas40 on March 01, 2015, 04:35:43 pm
Like the clean block on Harris dunk at the start of the game they kept showing at least three times later in the game when it was all arm not too mention body!

Are you talking about this block.... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeaqBkdveWQ

On the way up Harris knocked down Willie's left arm with his non shooting hand and after the block Harris grab Stein's arm to try and get the foul call.

Watch it without your Hog colored glasses and you will agree.
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: lribookend on March 02, 2015, 09:47:54 am
Wow, I haven't heard his name mentioned for 2 or 3 years now. Of course, Cal is also friends with Bill Clinton, JAY-Z (or whatever he is called....I know zilch about rappers or current musicians), and regularly interacts with hundreds of other hi-profile people.

But just so I understand, Cal gives money to Wes, who gives it to the players or their families so they will go to UK rather than other schools? Really? Maybe you should report this to the NCAA so they can investigate it. I am sure they never even thought about the possibility. Also, most Micky-D players plan to be millionaires in a year or two, if they go to the right school, get the most exposure, play against the best players, etc. To insinuate that every player that signs with UK sells themself for a couple thousand dollars is not very convincing. Sandy Bell (chief compliance officer at UK) was hired after the Eddie Sutton fiasco. Since she was hired, UK has not had a single compliance issue, even having had three more coaches: Pitino, Gillispie, and Cal. But the NCAA must also  be paid off by Wes, right?  ;D
Wildcat Larry

I have met Sandy Bell.... She is an animal, she will bite your hand off if you try to get an autograph.... She got angry with my kids after and Arkansas game at Bud Walton... You can only get an autograph from one player she said....  Then handed them a paper about selling the autographed item and that you commit to not selling the item.
SEC!

HOGGvol

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 02, 2015, 01:21:35 pm

On the way up Harris knocked down Willie's left arm with his non shooting hand and after the block Harris grab Stein's arm to try and get the foul call.

Thanks for posting that clip. Please look at the image that is up when the clip stops playing. Stein's arm is clearly banging against Harris's arm. I guess since he got a lot of ball initially he gets a pass for the foul immediately afterwards. I don't think Harris even saw Stein coming, so I do not agree that Harris was grabbing Stein's arm to try and draw a foul.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 01, 2015, 07:27:20 pm
Again this is where hog fans are hypocritical.  They want the hogs guards to be able to play physical because usually the hogs guards are more physical and grab & slap alot and gets lots of steals & cause turnovers.  But they do not want the opponents big men to be able to play physical because that is not the higs game down low.
I guess I don't see it this way. I don't view our guards as overly physical. I watch back to the 90's teams and those guards were physical. I think it's your hatred or "want" for CMA to fail. Sorry just the way I see your posts after negative posts over and over.

azhog10

Quote from: MountieDawg on March 02, 2015, 01:21:35 pm

Lol this may be the funniest thing I've read in a while.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on March 02, 2015, 01:01:54 pm
Almost 2 decades ago the NCAA cracked down on hand checking and other physical play by guards in an attempt to open up offense. Big men have been allowed to " play rough " for sixty+ years. When the Hogs had physical big men like Williamson Wilson Wallace Morris and Robinson, no one cared that they let big men play rough because the Hogs had big men that could do that.

I would like to hear from the basketball refs on the board, guys that call hs or higher. What would basketball be like if physical play was not allowed inside?
Just like it is on the perimeter. Frustrating but it would at least be consistent across the board. Saying consistent inconsistencies is therefore consistent is absolutely the most head scratching thing I have read. Being consistently inconsistent does not make you consistent.