Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Men's Tournament Watch

Started by jbcarol, February 22, 2015, 07:55:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY

Game 5 -- (10) Mississippi State vs. (7) Florida 7 p.m.

Game 9 -- (2) Arkansas vs. Game 5 winner, 7 p.m. (SEC Network)
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HamIAm

A little payback to Florida would be nice.

Hawgdrummer7

Somebody at work was talking about a different format for the SEC tourney this year? Does anybody know what he was talking about?
Woo Pig Drum

Hollywood_HOGan45

JONAS

passinghog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on February 22, 2015, 05:48:01 pm
I want to beat Florida so bad.

Especially since Donovan had the nerve to try to lecture our program and fan base as we were preparing to fire John Pelphrey. Put them out of their misery and send them home!

mhuff

chiefhawg

Quote from: Hawgdrummer7 on February 22, 2015, 05:45:37 pm
Somebody at work was talking about a different format for the SEC tourney this year? Does anybody know what he was talking about?
Here is the full tournament schedule.

http://secsports.go.com/championship/mens-basketball

HamIAm

I think the format changed last year. The location changed this year from Atlanta to Nashville.

alaback

Appears that Nashville is now the de facto location of the SEC tournament.  Nashville will host the SEC Tourney 9 of the next 11 years.  I guess Atlanta is no longer in the picture.

hog20

Planning on going to Nashville this year and taking our chances of finding tickets. Let me know if any of you have any insight.  Was not interested in  buying the entire package.

gmarv

TNhawgfan

Trying to talk my wife into going since it's only 3 hours away. It's tough though when you have a one year old
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

allredhog

hog20-

Been to many SEC Tournaments.  You will have no problem with 6 teams that will lose over the first two days.   After Arkansas entered the league, most fans loved having the HOG fans and Cat fans all trying to buy tickets.  Kentucky fans will start buying tickets INSIDE the arena as soon as game 1 is over.  The arena will get bluer and bluer as each session goes on.  Take cash and try to buy from fans and not the scalpers.  And trust me, all of the folks that want to make money on the tickets want Kentucky and Arkansas to run to the finals! 
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

TNhawgfan

Tennessee would be well represented in Nashville if their team was any good. Thank God for me and all vol haters, they're not

popcornhog

Quote from: HamIAm on February 22, 2015, 10:35:54 pm
I think the format changed last year. The location changed this year from Atlanta to Nashville.

It's in Nashville regularly. Seems like one R every three to four years.
WPS

Thepigdoctor

Last SEC tourney I went to was the one the Hogs lost to Florida in the title game. I like the switch to Nashville, an easy three hour drive from Louisville. I'd love to attend, but having a three month and 3 year olds might make that impossible.

How many on here plan to attend?

GoHogs1091

Don't be surprised if Florida loses to Mississippi State (if that match up ends up occurring in the first round).

Just keep in mind that even though MSU didn't have a good regular season during the last 2 seasons, MSU won a SEC Tournament game both years.

JayBell

I just want Arkansas to actually win a game in the SEC Tournament.  One win last year would have kept them firmly on the bubble and a second surely would have gotten them into the NCAA Tournament.

Neutral-site games are crucial when it comes to seeding.  Win a couple of games in Nashville and Arkansas could be looking at a 3 or 4 seed.

HotlantaHog

Florida would be a good matchup. The game was stolen in Gainesville and Hogs would be highly motivated to win. ... Florida is also a decent and respected enough team that it wouldn't be a ''bad loss'' in the unlikely but possible event UF won ...

Paul

Quote from: hog20 on February 23, 2015, 09:07:59 am
Planning on going to Nashville this year and taking our chances of finding tickets. Let me know if any of you have any insight.  Was not interested in  buying the entire package.
I went to the SEC tourney in Nashville years ago.  You can get tickets cheap from the 1st & 2nd day losers.  They're everywhere.  Only thing driving up the price will be the UK fans 

yodcw2003

I want no part of Florida. Give me a team we've beaten already, and let someone else beat them.

hog20

Thanks for the advice.  Kind of worried as driving over Thursday, don't want to miss
out on all the Wed/Thur losers selling their tickets.  I guess if we do, we will just
find a place and watch on TV!!!

colavito

One year, I believe the first SEC Tourney in Nashville, I had two tickets for the Friday afternoon games and needed a single.  Could not find one at all and wouldn't pay the price the scalpers were asking so since the Hogs weren't playing we sold our two tickets to scalpers for a good profit and went to a nearby watering hole and watched the games.  Tickets will be extremely hard to come by.  Small arena.  I went to the '95 Final Four in the Kingdome in Seattle, got there on Saturday and was able to buy a ticket at face value eight rows from courtside from a NC fan.

HotlantaHog

Tickets were not the slightest problem in Atlanta in a Dome setting but the arena is much smaller in Nashville AND it is very close to Kentucky, where thousands of fans will want tickets starting Friday ... All of that suggests tickets are going to be pretty tough to get on the fly.

TNhawgfan

I've been to that arena. There will be some tickets available for the weekend. Now, as others have said, you may have to pay a little for them, especially if uk wins their games

Horsesrus

I'm going with my daughter.  A saving grace is if the basketball team slips up, the baseball team is playing Vanderbilt that weekend so we will see Arkansas sports of some kind.  If the Hogs make the final, the game times seem to overlap where a doubleheader of basketball/baseball isn't in the cards.

jbcarol

Scott Rabalais @RabalaisAdv  ·  15 hours ago

If #LSU stays where it is, would be No. 5 seed in SEC tourney, could face Auburn again. No. 12-13 play first. Right now that's Auburn, S.C.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Dugann

Some pay back to Florida would be ever so....sweet
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

latrops

Quote from: Paul on February 23, 2015, 02:42:39 pm
  I went to the SEC tourney in Nashville years ago.  You can get tickets cheap from the 1st & 2nd day losers.  They're everywhere.  Only thing driving up the price will be the UK fans

Unfortunately, Kentucky isn't likely to lose before the championship game, and the Kentucky border is only a 30 minute drive from Nashville.  If Kentucky is in the championship game, as they almost surely will be, then it will basically be a home game for them as their fans will buy up almost all of the tickets that come available.

latrops

Quote from: yodcw2003 on February 23, 2015, 03:33:39 pm
I want no part of Florida. Give me a team we've beaten already, and let someone else beat them.

Had that game been called somewhat evenly, we probably would have won that game by a fair margin (8 or so points).  They shot 25 freethrows, we shot 7.  We lost by 1 on a very questionable call. 

yodcw2003

Quote from: latrops on February 25, 2015, 12:14:59 pm
Had that game been called somewhat evenly, we probably would have won that game by a fair margin (8 or so points).  They shot 25 freethrows, we shot 7.  We lost by 1 on a very questionable call. 
I know we should have won that game, and we're the better team; however, they're just one of those teams...

brenthog

Wouldnt it be Bama vs Vandy for the 7 v 10 game now?

Beaverfever

The two seed in the tournament is so much better than the three seed.  I really hope we hold onto that.  The SEC has a pretty big drop-off after the top 6 teams.  If you're the three or four seed you're either going to have to play the 5/6 seed or a team that has won two games in two days and is warmed up nicely.  That's a much tougher game than playing the winner of the 7/10 or 8/9.  I might try to go to the tournament.  Assuming we're the two seed we'll only need to beat the 7/10 seed on Friday to be in the tournament until Sunday since we'd be the last game Saturday.  Even with a loss Saturday night in the semis you'd have a lot of fun. 

HawgTrough

Quote from: yodcw2003 on February 23, 2015, 03:33:39 pm

If Finney-Smith is still suspended, we blow them out of the gym.
WPS

jbcarol

Craig Pinkerton @SEC_Craig  ·  3 hours ago

The Road To Nashville - How the SEC Tournament seedings would look if the tournament started today http://assets.espn.go.com/sec/basketball/ncb/2015/SEC%20MBB%20Road%20to%20Nashville.pdf ...

QuoteOpening Rounds Matchups (Clinched in BOLD)
[12] Auburn vs. [13] South Carolina Wednesday - 6:00 pm CT
[11] Mississippi State vs. [14] Missouri Wednesday - 25 min after G1
[8] Tennessee vs. [9] Florida Thursday - Noon CT
[5] LSU vs. Game 1 Winner Thursday - 25 min after G3
[7] Alabama vs. [10] Vanderbilt Thursday - 6:00 p.m. CT
[6] Georgia vs. Game 2 Winner Thursday - 25 min after G5
Byes: [1] Kentucky, [2] Arkansas, [3] Ole Miss, [4] Texas A&M

jbcarol

After the mid-week games:

Game 5 -- (10) Vandy vs. (7) Bama 7 p.m.

jbcarol

After the Saturday games:

Game 5 -- (7) Vandy vs. (10) Tennessee 7 p.m. ET (SEC Network)

TNhawgfan

Vandy would not be easy the way they're playing

razorbackchamps94

WorfHog

We've beat both teams and could beat them again.

yraciv

So assuming H2H is the tiebreaker, and A&M is the only team a game back. One win to the 2 seed! That is pretty good and good news is we'll be playing in the nightcap instead of the middle of Friday.

jbcarol

Craig Pinkerton @SEC_Craig  ·  51 minutes ago
The Road To Nashville: What the SEC Tournament matchups would look like if the tournament started tomorrow
http://assets.espn.go.com/sec/basketball/ncb/2015/SEC%20MBB%20Road%20to%20Nashville.pdf ...

jbcarol

Quote from: yraciv on February 28, 2015, 09:00:03 pm
So assuming H2H is the tiebreaker, and A&M is the only team a game back. One win to the 2 seed! That is pretty good and good news is we'll be playing in the nightcap instead of the middle of Friday.

QuoteTeams will be seeded No. 1 through No. 14 in the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament bracket based upon the final regular season Conference standings.

Teams that finished No. 1 through No. 4 in the final regular season standings shall receive first- and second-round byes and teams that finish No. 5 through No. 10 will receive first-round byes in the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament.
1. Two-Team Tie. The following procedure will be used in the following order until
the tie is broken:
A. Won-lost results of head-to-head competition between the two teams.
B. Won-lost record of the two teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceeding
through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
C. Coin flip by the Commissioner.
2. Three-Team Tie (or more). When three or more teams are tied, the following
procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams remain
tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used.
A. Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams (Example:
Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 – Team A would be seeded highest,
Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three).
B. Best winning percentage of the tied teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceeding
through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
C. If two teams remain, coin flip by the Commissioner.
D. If three or more teams remain, draw by the Commissioner.

jbell96

Just need to win one of our remaining two games to clinch the 2 seed, 6pm on Friday would be an ideal start time. That said, not sure I want to potentially play Vandy, they are on a roll right now.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway @gatorhoops  ·  21 hours ago

If Florida and Vandy are in two-way tie, #Gators would have edge based on record v. top two seeds. So may be worth rooting for 'Bama losses.

Craig Pinkerton @SEC_Craig  ·  Mar 2

The Road To Nashville - How the bracket would look if the SEC Tournament started today http://assets.espn.go.com/sec/basketball/ncb/2015/SEC%20MBB%20Road%20to%20Nashville.pdf ...

jbcarol

Craig Pinkerton @SEC_Craig  ·  1 minute ago
The Road To Nashville - How the bracket looks if the SEC Tournament started tomorrow
http://assets.espn.go.com/sec/basketball/ncb/2015/SEC%20MBB%20Road%20to%20Nashville.pdf ...

Game 5: [7] Florida vs. [10] Tennessee  Thursday - 6:00 p.m. CT

Game 5 Winner vs. #2 Arkansas [SEC Network] Friday - 6:00 p.m. CT

Danny J

Appears right now worse case scenario we are a 3 seed which is not too bad considering we would still be in the 2/3 game opposite of UK. That means if we lose out......LSU wins out then they hold the overall record against aTm/Ole Miss/Ark if aTm and Ole Miss both win Saturday which they will.

bighog2255

Quote from: Danny J on March 03, 2015, 10:49:08 pm
Appears right now worse case scenario we are a 3 seed

Posted in another thread as well, but there is 1 scenario where we would be the #4 seed:

1 more win obviously clinches the #2 seed as well as the 2nd best SEC record.

1) LSU  12-6 - #2 seed by virtue of 3-2 record against others
    Ark   12-6 - #3 seed...2-1 record vs OM/AM and 0-1 vs LSU (OM went 0-2 vs LSU)
    OM   12-6 - #4 seed...1-0 vs A&M
    A&M  12-6 - #5 seed

2) LSU  12-6 - #2 seed...3-0 record
    Ark   12-6 - #3 seed...1-1 vs OM but 0-1 vs LSU (OM went 0-2 vs LSU)
    OM   12-6 - #4 seed

3) Ark   12-6 - #2 seed...2-1 record vs OM/AM and 0-1 vs LSU (OM went 0-2 vs LSU)
    Miss  12-6 - #3 seed...1-0 vs A&M
    A&M  12-6 - #4 seed

4) AM    12-6 - #2 seed...2-1 record vs LSU/Ark
    LSU   12-6 - #3 seed...1-0 record vs Ark
    ARK   12-6 - #4 seed

HawgTrough

Quote from: Danny J on March 03, 2015, 10:49:08 pm
Appears right now worse case scenario we are a 3 seed which is not too bad considering we would still be in the 2/3 game opposite of UK. That means if we lose out......LSU wins out then they hold the overall record against aTm/Ole Miss/Ark if aTm and Ole Miss both win Saturday which they will.

Vandy will give Ole Miss all they want on Saturday.
WPS