Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 19, 2024, 08:13:09 pm

Rivals

Started by pikehog, December 29, 2005, 12:39:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pikehog

Does Arkansas have a true rival in the SEC? And by true rival, I mean a team that hates us as much as we hate them? Who do you think and why?

TulsaHogFan

no we don't.  Close as they come is LSU, and they hate us, but not like its a huge deal or anything

pikehog

My thought is that we do not have a true rival, I do not think one other team would consider us their rival. Maybe a team they don't like, but not a rival. I think this has much to do with our youth in this league.

David Bazzel tried to get it going with the boot and LSU, but as we saw this year LSU does not care about it.

bigyellowdog

The early 90's with Kentucky in basketball was probably the closest to rivalry we have had in the SEC.

pikehog

As a follow up, what will it take for us to get one?

Flatline

We were building one with Tenn when the SEC screwed that one up.

Hawgon

In order for one to be hated, one must be relevant.  In order to be relevant one must be a threat.  Name one team in the SEC that doesn' view the Arkansas game as a good, perhaps its best chance for a win.  We'll never have a rivalry until we are consistently good enough to beat someone year in and year out.  Once we do that, someone will hate us.  As it is, everyone feels like they can/should beat us. 

llhog

Very well said Hawgon.

Hogs4Ever

December 29, 2005, 01:03:45 pm #8 Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 01:05:17 pm by Hogs4Ever
I personally hate all SEC teams but I really despise Ole Miss.  We probably have more history with Ole Miss and maybe LSU than anyone else in the SEC.

LSU did cost us the National Championship in 1965 so you have to hate them for that reason alone!

hogoh

Our only rival in the SEC is mediocrity.

hoggystyle78

In order to be someone's rival you have to beat them about as often as they beat you, the only 2 teams in our conference that fall into that criteria would be Ole Miss and Miss St. and they are rivals with one another not Arkansas. We haven't been in the SEC long enough to develop a rivalry and we also haven't won in the SEC consistently, time in the conference and being a player in the conference title chase are 2 things that will help.

pikehog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 29, 2005, 12:56:37 pm
In order for one to be hated, one must be relevant. In order to be relevant one must be a threat. Name one team in the SEC that doesn' view the Arkansas game as a good, perhaps its best chance for a win. We'll never have a rivalry until we are consistently good enough to beat someone year in and year out. Once we do that, someone will hate us. As it is, everyone feels like they can/should beat us.

I would say Vandy, but this year blew that thought.

noprayerfornutt

Most rivalries take years to develop.  The only program that could become a quick instant rival to the Hogs is Arkansas State and they are not good enough to beat the Hogs.  but with this current coaching staff, you never know.  But that rivalry will  never, ever occur.

pfrg999

In order for one to be hated, one must be relevant. In order to be relevant one must be a threat. Name one team in the SEC that doesn' view the Arkansas game as a good, perhaps its best chance for a win. We'll never have a rivalry until we are consistently good enough to beat someone year in and year out. Once we do that, someone will hate us. As it is, everyone feels like they can/should beat us.

That's a good point.... We are viewed as "lucky" not good.... why hate luck...they know they will tag us next year...

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

bigyellowdog

Quote from: pfrg999 on December 29, 2005, 02:24:22 pm

That's a good point.... We are viewed as "lucky" not good.... why hate luck...they know they will tag us next year...

In 1999, a few Tennessee fans I know felt that the Hogs win was just a fluke.

ALabama fans say that anytime we beat them that they are having a bad year.

pikehog

Quote from: noprayerfornutt on December 29, 2005, 02:20:09 pm
Most rivalries take years to develop.  The only program that could become a quick instant rival to the Hogs is Arkansas State and they are not good enough to beat the Hogs.  but with this current coaching staff, you never know.  But that rivalry will  never, ever occur.

Maybe when Frank is gone someone will realize that it's not a problem to play them, it won't split the state, and it's no different than playing ULM.

Hell it would also be the only true sell out RRS will ever see.

PAHog

LSU may eventually become a rival, and TN had potential and would have developed had they been our permanent East opponent.  Everyone else already has a dancing partner (Auburn v. Bama, MissSt v. OMiss, SC v. Clemson).  We have to start winning games at LSU and consistently competing in the West (these are probably mutually dependent) before we're their rival.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

tulsahog36

What will it take for to get a rival?  We need some creativity.  We need some one to steal the boot out of the LSU trophy case.    That would add some old school spice to that game.

Hawgon

Quote from: tulsahog36 on December 29, 2005, 03:59:02 pm
What will it take for to get a rival? We need some creativity. We need some one to steal the boot out of the LSU trophy case. That would add some old school spice to that game.

Yeah, that is real good.  Steal a trophy that we are not good enough to win on the field.  I am sure that will make them respect us. :-[

HogFather

Vanderbilt and Kentucky, because we can't beat them. ::)

Drewhog

Pikehog are you an Alpha Zeta Pike from Arkansas, or is that just a fish reference?

clemensrules01

Quote from: pikehog on December 29, 2005, 12:39:26 pm
Does Arkansas have a true rival in the SEC? And by true rival, I mean a team that hates us as much as we hate them? Who do you think and why?
why does this topic come up every single week?

tophawg19

yes everyone in the sec is our rival we keep trying to get rid of nutt and they keep fighting to get us to keep him . you can build a hell of a rivalry that way.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

xkyrie

AFWarrior83

I know South Carolina fans don't like us, but I wouldn't call it a true rivalry.
Hogville member since 2005.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

"Take me to another place, take me to another land"

That is our true rival...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

pigheaded

Those of us on the other side of 50 immediately think of Ole Miss.

That used to be a great rivalry.

As was pointed out above,we are no longer relevant in the SEC.

JFB should be and is ashamed of where we are now.

CP
My Mother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks her Wild Turkey right out of the bottle.