Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Allen offers peek inside Aggie Culture

Started by Hogsolo, February 09, 2016, 12:48:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

EastexHawg

I went to a wedding reception for two A&M graduates.  They had a yell practice, complete with all the chants and guys pointing their fingers like a gun and doing the cute little "hissssss" thing.  I turned to the guy beside me and said, "After watching this I now know what happened in the final moments at Jonestown."

They are a cult.

jesterzzn

PorkRinds

I'm not sure how I feel about this actually. It's bad form to publically talk smack about your former team after a transfer.  I mean, I love it that Sumlin got put  on blast, I'm just not sure why Herman would allow his guy to do the interview.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

For Allen to go public with this is pretty condemning.  You don't typically see players or coaches go public with negative stuff about the ex-team.

This makes me wonder what WASN'T said.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

cardinalandwhite

Scathing indictment of the leadership within the football program. Wow.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

sickboy

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 09, 2016, 02:13:55 pm
I'm not sure how I feel about this actually. It's bad form to publically talk smack about your former team after a transfer.  I mean, I love it that Sumlin got put  on blast, I'm just not sure why Herman would allow his guy to do the interview.

Allen is definitely a spoiled kid. Doesn't mean he's wrong.

PorkSoda

I'm sure sumlin would have preferred he keep quiet, but ultimately sumlin is responsible for TAMU's situation. 

he benefitted from sherman's oline recruiting, but now its all on him, and the foundation is showing some cracks.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 09, 2016, 02:13:55 pm
I'm just not sure why Herman would allow his guy to do the interview.
Probably has something to do with UH's primary recruiting grounds being Houston, where A&M has a big presence as well.  Any blowback from this faux pas is probably less than the damage it can do to a major recruiting opponent.

-phil

PorkRinds

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on February 09, 2016, 02:42:40 pm
Probably has something to do with UH's primary recruiting grounds being Houston, where A&M has a big presence as well.  Any blowback from this faux pas is probably less than the damage it can do to a major recruiting opponent.

-phil

You're likely 100% correct.

scorekeeper

Love or hate Sumlin this article didn't shed any insight. Allen sounds like a spoiled brat.

This article only should have confirmed what everyone already assumed about TA&M.

"I think the culture was a big part of it, and I think that stems from Johnny's era there -- the way that they let Johnny and [others] act there,"

Once control is lost there is no getting it back without cleaning house.

"A lot of people were riding off that, 'I can do whatever the hell I want and win on Saturday.'"
Probably why they never won as much as they should have talent still has to work hard.

"When you don't have players like Johnny and [others] there anymore, you have to really come together as a team and scrap for wins,"
The team post Johnny wasn't as good so we couldn't party as much and still be successful.

"We had a lot of people who were talking about the same goal but weren't all committed and on the same page to get to that goal,"
Again we wanted results without putting in the work. When Johnny was on the team they didn't have to work as hard because they were more talented.

"Everyone wasn't in a straight line. Everyone was going this way, this way, this way. We had a ton of talent there. I think that, once you get all the right coaches there and get the vision right, you can do a lot of things."

Are the recruits going to A&M because it is A&M or were they going there based on A&M's recent success. He makes a reckless assumption that A&M will be anything based on the current talent. New coach new rules usually has some turnover in players.

"It helps recruiting a lot [at a Power Five program]. Our big player lounge [at A&M], our big scoreboard -- it's a recruiting tool. But when it comes down to it, at some level, it can hurt a team.
"Having all of that at such a young age, we didn't do much to deserve that. I don't think I realized it until I got here."

LOL Wut?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

SemperHawg

Have any of you seen the Sumlin Video from after the Ole Miss game?

Uncommon

Think some of the Aggies momentum is starting to reverse.  Especially when the catalyst for the momentum is now in the wrong spotlight for allegedly beating an ex girlfriend.  Can't believe we've lost to them the last 2 years.  Hopefully we can get our shite together in September this time.  Otherwise, we'll never get above 9-3 at best.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 09, 2016, 03:44:22 pm

No.  Why don't you post it?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Vantage 8 dude

February 09, 2016, 04:04:25 pm #16 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:36:50 pm by Vantage 8 dude
I'm not  totally surprised if true. While I realize that are likely other factors that may have been at play here, I've had the impression, at least from the days of "Johnny Crazy", that Sumlin ran a pretty loose ship. Just seemed to me the attitudes displayed on the sideline along with various remarks that have been made by various players. And while I realize that coaches have private lives and have to unwind just like the rest of us, the alleged video of Sumlin stumbling around "under the sauce" at the hotel last season after the Ole Miss game certainly made me think the guy may not even have control of himself, much less the team.

In the end I could care less what those clowns do. I just want to get our "mojo" back and start beating those idiots again. 

ChicoHog

Good to hear him state the problems there in Aggie land.  Could not make me any happier.  Hope they lose every game. 

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/02/09/texas-am-johnny-manziel-culture-kyle-allen-transfer

LSUFan

AssToMouth should have never been allowed in the SEC, they are not SEC caliber.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

tusksincolorado

Makes you feel better about the quality of Student/Athlete that represents the University of Arkansas....THE BEST THIS FALL SEMESTER IN THE SEC!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 09, 2016, 03:27:08 pm
"It helps recruiting a lot [at a Power Five program]. Our big player lounge [at A&M], our big scoreboard -- it's a recruiting tool. But when it comes down to it, at some level, it can hurt a team.
"Having all of that at such a young age, we didn't do much to deserve that. I don't think I realized it until I got here."

LOL Wut?
Do you really not understand what he's saying there? Sounds like he nailed it.

scorekeeper

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 09, 2016, 10:52:24 pm
Do you really think that A&M is the only school with lavish things? Allen lacked discipline and signed to a team that lacked discipline. He sounds very common by stating the players lounge and scoreboard somehow hurt the team. The only thing that he nailed is showing that he is a spoiled brat that left a team that didn't get the results on the field that he had hoped for. If they were a 10 win team he would still be there.

BadHog

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 09, 2016, 03:44:22 pm

Yes. This is a top to bottom problem for them. If a coach is going to behave like that, what can you expect of the players?
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 10, 2016, 06:06:45 am
Do you really think that A&M is the only school with lavish things? Allen lacked discipline and signed to a team that lacked discipline. He sounds very common by stating the players lounge and scoreboard somehow hurt the team. The only thing that he nailed is showing that he is a spoiled brat that left a team that didn't get the results on the field that he had hoped for. If they were a 10 win team he would still be there.

You could very well be right about the kid, but I think it's also possible that he perhaps is a kid with more maturity and perspective than others, saw the unsupervised party that was going on, and felt he'd be more comfortable and productive somewhere else.  To me that's sorta commendable.  But either way, I agree he shouldn't have spilled his guts about it to the press.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

SemperHawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 09, 2016, 03:50:32 pm
No.  Why don't you post it?

Full disclosure here...there is some NSFW language in this so turn you sound down!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3azx5a

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 10, 2016, 08:24:22 am
Full disclosure here...there is some NSFW language in this so turn you sound down!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3azx5a

My bad; yeah, I have seen that one before.  I thought there was something else floating out there because I didn't know this had been tagged as being after an Ole Miss game.  I had always thought this was supposed to have been after a banquet or some sort of social setting.

Smokehouse

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 10, 2016, 06:06:45 am

He wasn't claiming A&M was the only school that had those, he was discussing Power 5 vs. Group of 5 recruiting. As a broader message about recruits being interested in superficiality and what you get when you recruit a class of kids who are mainly interested in the bells and whistles of fancy facilities or accouterments, I think it works. He's also justifying his move away from a Power 5 school (where he had offers to transfer to) by saying he was in the superficiality of big time recruiting but wanted out.

You can read that either as him sincerely trying to improve his position or more cynically as him liking Herman's offense and then trying to make excuses for why he went to Houston. Either way, it's not like he's speaking gibberish.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Smokehouse on February 10, 2016, 08:48:32 am
He wasn't claiming A&M was the only school that had those, he was discussing Power 5 vs. Group of 5 recruiting. As a broader message about recruits being interested in superficiality and what you get when you recruit a class of kids who are mainly interested in the bells and whistles of fancy facilities or accouterments, I think it works. He's also justifying his move away from a Power 5 school (where he had offers to transfer to) by saying he was in the superficiality of big time recruiting but wanted out.

You can read that either as him sincerely trying to improve his position or more cynically as him liking Herman's offense and then trying to make excuses for why he went to Houston. Either way, it's not like he's speaking gibberish.
And I wasn't claiming that A&M was the only school that had those. My point was that A&M is not the only school with bells and whistles. If those guys sign to a school strictly based on the bells and whistles they better dang sure be more talented than the guys lined up across from them AND THAT is A&M's problem hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. That is the approach that CBB employs and everyone seems okay with that.

Allen chose Houston because it offers the best route with the least resistance for him to put up the numbers and make it to the NFL...no shame in that. He shouldn't act like that isn't the same reason he decided to go to A&M and again no shame in that. He should just be honest and say it wasn't what he expected or better yet say nothing. We all knew Sumlin had no control of that team especially when Johnny was there so Allen's whimpering confirms nothing unless you are looking to point and laugh at A&M...which is okay but the article was not profound I've read better Robert Shields articles and that is saying a lot.

31to6

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 09, 2016, 10:52:24 pm
And did so in a very mature and perceptive fashion for a star athlete his age.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 10, 2016, 10:02:32 am
I wonder what course our program would have taken had Mustain come out with a similar type of interview after his departure?

Probably no different than it did.  Nutt had already done the damage by that point; it couldn't have gotten any worse because people already knew the situation was toxic.

a0ashle

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 10, 2016, 10:02:32 am
I wonder what course our program would have taken had Mustain come out with a similar type of interview after his departure?

Maybe could have saved us from Bobby P and John L.

DeltaBoy

It is great how history repeats it self at TAMU . Gene Stallings was at TAMU they went up then burned , Emory B, who invented the Wishbone went to TAMU they swinged up then crashed again,  Jackie Sherrill comes and the Swing up and Crash again  RC Slocum comes in they swing up and Crash again.  Kevin Sumlin and Johhny Football show up Aggies go up and what CRASH AGAIN!

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2016, 10:24:41 am
Probably no different than it did.  Nutt had already done the damage by that point; it couldn't have gotten any worse because people already knew the situation was toxic.
yeah, details about the state of the program were already flying around.  I'm glad mustain took the high road, but I wouldn't have blamed him for speaking out either.

nobody likes mudslinging, but if something is rotten, it needs to be brought to light so that it can be cleaned up.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 10, 2016, 01:42:25 pm
yeah, details about the state of the program were already flying around.  I'm glad mustain took the high road, but I wouldn't have blamed him for speaking out either.

nobody likes mudslinging, but if something is rotten, it needs to be brought to light so that it can be cleaned up.

Or sometimes, with a doofus like Nutt, you wait long enough and he self destructs.

DLUXHOG

this Aggie drama is pointless...  think about it... they haven't won anything since joining (or before really) the SEC (No SECW championship, No SEC championship, No NC...)      Seems like they want a trophy anyway for participating....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Uncommon on February 09, 2016, 03:47:04 pm
Think some of the Aggies momentum is starting to reverse.  Especially when the catalyst for the momentum is now in the wrong spotlight for allegedly beating an ex girlfriend.  Can't believe we've lost to them the last 2 years.  Hopefully we can get our shite together in September this time.  Otherwise, we'll never get above 9-3 at best.
I think last 4 years.   We haven't beaten them since they joined the SEC.  Last two years were our own faults for losing. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 2h2 hours ago

The 'culture' of football at Texas A&M? Sumlin has taken steps in past year to toughen things up: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Allen-decries-A-M-culture-that-new-coaches-may-be-6822199.php ... @HoustonChron

QuoteNew University of Houston quarterback Kyle Allen, freshly transferred from A&M, described a culture of "I can do whatever the hell I want" among players under Sumlin, stemming from what Allen said was a leftover attitude from the merriment-seeking Manziel's two seasons of 2012 and '13.

"I think the culture was a big part of it, and I think that stems from Johnny's era there - the way that they let Johnny and (others) act there," Allen told CBSSports.com. "They (could) do that and still win games because they had Johnny ... and five offensive linemen playing in the NFL right now."

Allen is right in that A&M has regressed since Sumlin's first season of 2012, when the Aggies finished 11-2 and fifth nationally and Manziel won the Heisman Trophy.

Fan and donor frustrations carried over to this month's recruiting class when the Aggies missed on some long-time targets, including defensive lineman Mark Jackson and defensive back Brandon Jones, although A&M still ranked a respectable 16th nationally by Rivals. At the same time, Sumlin never really combatted an NFL Network story claiming he was trying to land an NFL job.

Is Allen, who has absorbed plenty of jabs from Aggies for "quitting" on his team prior to the bowl, correct in claiming A&M has or had "culture" issues around its program? Absolutely, but in the past year, they haven't been as pronounced, based primarily on personnel moves.

New sheriffs in town

The fun-loving Sumlin, never known as an authoritarian in the old-school sense, has made three hires over the past two years that have added toughness and integrity to his program - especially the addition of grim-faced defensive coordinator John Chavis. The difference in attitudes and discipline on each side of the ball was marked this past season, with the defenders setting a solid example for their oft-loosey-goosey counterparts.

Sumlin in January dismissed offensive coordinator Jake Spavital, a cool breeze who at 30 wasn't much older than his charges. Sumlin then hired Noel Mazzone, 58, from UCLA, and like Chavis, Mazzone doesn't appear to be a coach who tolerates much tomfoolery.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 10, 2016, 09:01:29 am
And I wasn't claiming that A&M was the only school that had those. My point was that A&M is not the only school with bells and whistles. If those guys sign to a school strictly based on the bells and whistles they better dang sure be more talented than the guys lined up across from them AND THAT is A&M's problem hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. That is the approach that CBB employs and everyone seems okay with that.

Allen chose Houston because it offers the best route with the least resistance for him to put up the numbers and make it to the NFL...no shame in that. He shouldn't act like that isn't the same reason he decided to go to A&M and again no shame in that. He should just be honest and say it wasn't what he expected or better yet say nothing. We all knew Sumlin had no control of that team especially when Johnny was there so Allen's whimpering confirms nothing unless you are looking to point and laugh at A&M...which is okay but the article was not profound I've read better Robert Shields articles and that is saying a lot.
You clearly have an axe to grind. Good luck with that.

scorekeeper

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 11, 2016, 10:29:15 am
You clearly have an axe to grind. Good luck with that.
No axe. I just despise of proverbial kissing and telling. He signed up he moved on no harm or shame in either. Just shut up and let your play on the field do the talking. If that is wrong then I'll be happy to be wrong and grind that axe.

jm

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 11, 2016, 11:46:02 am
No axe. I just despise of proverbial kissing and telling. He signed up he moved on no harm or shame in either. Just shut up and let your play on the field do the talking. If that is wrong then I'll be happy to be wrong and grind that axe.

Why would he shut up? He now has an personal interest in the success of an A&M competitor. He wants the story out there so upcoming recruits know of his experience and why he chose to make the move he did.

scorekeeper

Quote from: jm on February 11, 2016, 11:54:49 am
Why would he shut up? He now has an personal interest in the success of an A&M competitor. He wants the story out there so upcoming recruits know of his experience and why he chose to make the move he did.

Okay he gets the story out there how does it benefit Houston? Houston does not compete for the same recruits as A&M. Look at how bad A&M was perceived to be and their recruiting rankings. A&M did better than Baylor, TCU, and Houston. Even if Allen dissuades recruits against A&M they are likely not going to Houston. So really no advantage there. Again he should let his play on the field talk no reason for sour grapes. He made a decision had a change of heart and moved on. No big tell all needed.

PorkSoda

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 11, 2016, 12:28:53 pmHouston does Houston does not compete for the same recruits as A&M.
College station is less than a hundred miles from houston and recruits it pretty heavily.

scorekeeper

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 11, 2016, 12:39:51 pm
College station is less than a hundred miles from houston and recruits it pretty heavily.
Right, College Station typically gets their pick. Look at the rankings. Houston would love to have the caliber of recruits that A&M brings in.

GolfnHog

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 11, 2016, 03:05:36 pm
Right, College Station typically gets their pick. Look at the rankings. Houston would love to have the caliber of recruits that A&M brings in.

And if the Cougars get into a Power 5 conference (Big 12?) and Herman continues to steamroll with what he's building, Houston will get those caliber recruits. It will happen sooner than later with the # of athletes that the Houston area produces and this lil expose of aTm will be used in recruiting.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

scorekeeper

Quote from: GolfnHog on February 11, 2016, 03:41:33 pm
And if the Cougars get into a Power 5 conference (Big 12?) and Herman continues to steamroll with what he's building, Houston will get those caliber recruits. It will happen sooner than later with the # of athletes that the Houston area produces and this lil expose of aTm will be used in recruiting.
Houston could get into a P5 no doubt.
Is Herman likely to stay the course? History is not on his side.

LSU, A&M and Texas will continue to raid Houston for recruits.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2016, 01:45:44 pm
Or sometimes, with a doofus like Nutt, you wait long enough and he self destructs.
Problem is that "doofus" can do a boat load of damage before he does, indeed, self-destruct. Unfortunately that's exactly what we saw unfold.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: scorekeeper on February 11, 2016, 11:46:02 am
So a kid who makes a statement based on his observations is to somehow be blamed for speaking up. If I remember correctly the kid was asked why he made his decision. He gave an apparently honest answer. So that's somehow "kissing and telling"? Oh please stop the madness.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 11, 2016, 04:42:22 pm
So a kid who makes a statement based on his observations is to somehow be blamed for speaking up. If I remember correctly the kid was asked why he made his decision. He gave an apparently honest answer. So that's somehow "kissing and telling"? Oh please stop the madness.
He signed up he moved on no harm or shame in either. Just shut up and let your play on the field do the talking.

DLUXHOG

February 12, 2016, 09:00:02 am #49 Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:54:00 am by DLUXHOG
The drama continues....
in the DMN this morning...

Sherrington: Texas A&M's problems are not because of Johnny Manziel culture
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texasamaggies/2016/02/11/sherrington-johnny-manziel-culture-coaching-instability-texas-ams-struggles?f=r

Texas A&M investigating reports of racial slurs aimed at Dallas charter school students during campus visit
http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/02/am-university-investigating-reports-of-racial-slurs-targeting-dallas-high-school-students-during-campus-visit.html/
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)