Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1964 vs 1977. Who do you think would win head to head on the field?

Started by Ben, February 09, 2016, 12:21:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Hollywood_HOGan45

77 just had a different type of player.

As hardcore as the 64 team was, they wouldn't come close to being able to handle Jimmy Walker and Dan Hampton.

77-31  64-20

DeltaBoy

The 77 Class by 3 scores at least.  Too much Size and Speed difference.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

oldman1015

1977 team by 56. most of the 1964 guys are too old to suit up.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Jackrabbit Hog

Here's a better question.  Give the '64 team the same strength, conditioning, nutrition, off-season, and all of those things that had come light years in that 13 year period, and have them suit up.  I think it would be a much closer game.  It isn't their fault the game has gotten bigger and faster with each passing year.

Oh, and give the '64 team some brothers.  That makes a difference too.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: oldman1015 on February 09, 2016, 01:14:10 pm
1977 team by 56. most of the 1964 guys are too old to suit up.

But if they had played in 1964, I would go with the 64 team all they way.

If you put them all in a time machine,

1977: 37
1964: 0

The 1964 team would not have the size or speed to stop the 77 team. The 1964 defensive line had never seen veer scheme blocking or triple option.

The 1964 team's real chance would that the 1977 coach would be playing against his boss. If that had a significant effect, I predict 1964 team: 9, 1977 team: 7, on a late safety, when Lou tells our center to snap the ball over Little's head on a punt. (Who would the center of been, Rick Shumaker?)

That said, you can't judge teams' worthiness like that. You have to compare their performance against the opponents they faced using the rules they faced. The rules had changed in 13 years, also.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ben on February 09, 2016, 12:21:13 pm
Whats you score prediction as well?

I'd say 64 since they would bust your head and not worry about concussions.................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redeye

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

chenalhog

Quote from: Ben on February 09, 2016, 12:21:13 pm
Whats you score prediction as well?
neither team could beat our worst team in last 5 years. Different era

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 09, 2016, 03:53:27 pm
Here's a better question.  Give the '64 team the same strength, conditioning, nutrition, off-season, and all of those things that had come light years in that 13 year period, and have them suit up.  I think it would be a much closer game.  It isn't their fault the game has gotten bigger and faster with each passing year.

Absolutely.

Biggus Piggus

The 1977 team would not have played a game of football against the '64 team. It would have killed them all, peeled their flesh off their bones, and had a barbecue. Not even remotely close.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 10, 2016, 09:55:04 am
The 1977 team would not have played a game of football against the '64 team. It would have killed them all, peeled their flesh off their bones, and had a barbecue. Not even remotely close.

I agree the 77 Team would have also punked Tommy Nobis Lead Texas team in about that same time period.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TNRazorbacker

Follow up question- I wonder how many on the board can remember far enough back to care?

I have absolutely no memory of either team.  I turned 5 during the 77 season.  In 64 my mother was in middle school and I wasn't even on the horizon.  At 43 I'm no spring chicken.

Sorry to post off topic but this thread topic just reminded me how long it's been since we've been nationally relevant.

gmarv

if you could transport the 1964 team to 1977 and have the good lord deck them out in a body that they would have in 1977.they would almost surely win there was a whole bunch of winners on that team that knew how to win.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on February 11, 2016, 10:07:02 am
Follow up question- I wonder how many on the board can remember far enough back to care?

I have absolutely no memory of either team.  I turned 5 during the 77 season.  In 64 my mother was in middle school and I wasn't even on the horizon.  At 43 I'm no spring chicken.

Sorry to post off topic but this thread topic just reminded me how long it's been since we've been nationally relevant.

Since you asked, I remember both vividly.

orvillesghost

I am too young to remember the 1964 team but I still think 77 is the best Razorback team ever...I believe they would beat the 2006 squad, which is probably the second best of that time.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 09, 2016, 03:53:27 pm

time do make a difference

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

staffhog

Here we go, downsizing the 64 Hogs.  They beat everybody they played; they beat Texas AT THEIR HOUSE (the equivalent of beating Bama in Tuscaloosa, now) and then that same Texas team beat Alabama who won a share of the national championship.  That has not been done by any other Razorback team and to take away from that feat baffles me; especially Razorback fans who don't think we deserved our claim.

I loved that 77 team, too but to grind into our National Champion team using this scenario deserve some leveling.

The 77's teams butt stomp of OU in the Orange bowl cannot wipe out that painful loss to Texas in our house.  Also, look at the shut outs that 64 defense pitched, quite a few.  Then another surprise that is overlooked is that we beat Texas Tech by just 3 points in 77.

I hate knocking any Razorback team but I have been rooting for the Hogs since 1956 and I haven't seen a team to match the 64 team's accomplishments.  I hope next year brings us one.

jesterzzn

Quote from: staffhog on February 11, 2016, 10:22:00 pm
Here we go, downsizing the 64 Hogs.  They beat everybody they played; they beat Texas AT THEIR HOUSE (the equivalent of beating Bama in Tuscaloosa, now) and then that same Texas team beat Alabama who won a share of the national championship.  That has not been done by any other Razorback team and to take away from that feat baffles me; especially Razorback fans who don't think we deserved our claim.

I loved that 77 team, too but to grind into our National Champion team using this scenario deserve some leveling.

The 77's teams butt stomp of OU in the Orange bowl cannot wipe out that painful loss to Texas in our house.  Also, look at the shut outs that 64 defense pitched, quite a few.  Then another surprise that is overlooked is that we beat Texas Tech by just 3 points in 77.

I hate knocking any Razorback team but I have been rooting for the Hogs since 1956 and I haven't seen a team to match the 64 team's accomplishments.  I hope next year brings us one.

I hate when people post before they read.

staffhog