Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O Line question

Started by Hogg_Phan, February 09, 2016, 08:15:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogg_Phan

Our O Line had the same starting 5 every game last year.  I don't see them swapping out players like the D Line does during the game. How many opportunities do the back-ups get during the game or even during the season (barring injuries)? Are they our special teams players on punts and field goals?
Maurice "Footsie" Britt - an "ex-Arkansas Razorback and Detroit Lion war hero".
.... In fact, Britt was standing on the field at the football stadium in Arkansas, saluting with his left hand and receiving the Medal of Honor, ...
http://www.cafe.com/r/f87e4a8e-2253-4fb1-90ad-4372d99aa204/1/why-havent-you-heard-of-this-war-hero-nfl-veteran

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hogg_Phan on February 09, 2016, 08:15:04 am
Our O Line had the same starting 5 every game last year.  I don't see them swapping out players like the D Line does during the game. How many opportunities do the back-ups get during the game or even during the season (barring injuries)? Are they our special teams players on punts and field goals?

You are right.  We hardly ever subbed.  I brought this up many times because I did not think Pittman used his 2nd group near enough.    In early fall games when the temperatures are very high we can not expect our OL to play all those snaps with the same energy and speed.  We have to develop depth and use that depth to keep our OL hungry and competitive.  I am looking forward to the spring to see how our new OL Coach Anderson will develop these guys and also how he subs them in the Fall. 

VirginiaHog

Olines just dont sub. It is very rare at any level.

Snizzzo

Chemistry and synchronization are very important for offensive lines, so there typically isn't a little of subbing on Olines. 

BRHogfan

We had too many close games.

WaltonCollege

When Bielema/Pittman first got here their goal was to have 10 SEC level linemen that they could play in a game without any major dropoff. Last year going into fall practice Pittman said that number is closer to 8 because we just don't have that many SEC level guys on the line. The goal was to give the first string line a possession off in the first half to keep them fresh for the second. We saw this a little two years ago with Charpentier/Ragnow spelling each other at guard and this year for a couple games early with Josh Allen getting some reps. We would do it more often we just don't have enough quality linemen to make it happen.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: WaltonCollege on February 09, 2016, 11:38:42 am
When Bielema/Pittman first got here their goal was to have 10 SEC level linemen that they could play in a game without any major dropoff. Last year going into fall practice Pittman said that number is closer to 8 because we just don't have that many SEC level guys on the line. The goal was to give the first string line a possession off in the first half to keep them fresh for the second. We saw this a little two years ago with Charpentier/Ragnow spelling each other at guard and this year for a couple games early with Josh Allen getting some reps. We would do it more often we just don't have enough quality linemen to make it happen.

This is somewhat baffling to me.
I keep reading on here from people who follow recruiting more closely than I do that we're recruiting better and building depth and doing it the right way.

This post, going into year four, would suggest that one of those statements is way off.

Which is the case?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

WaltonCollege

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2016, 11:54:33 am
I keep reading on here from people who follow recruiting more closely than I do that we're recruiting better and building depth and doing it the right way.

This post, going into year four, would suggest that one of those statements is way off.

Which is the case?

Our O Line recruiting has been sub par. Even with Pittman he couldn't really pull a lot of big name linemen to Fayetteville in one class. We got two the first class (Kirk, Skipper), Ragnow two years ago, The fro last year, Heinrich this year. We are getting good players just not enough of them.

BRHogfan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2016, 11:54:33 am

Which is the case?

There's never been a coach who comes up to the microphone on signing day and says "yeah this class is a dud"

You're always going to have people spinning it and being excited about it. I can name most of the players on our roster, but I can't name the ones that play for Ohio State, so in my mind and from knowing who these guys are, I think maybe they're better than the guys on that roster or the other one, but just because you're excited about a guy like Reeve Koehler, doesn't mean he's going to be all-SEC or even see the field.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: WaltonCollege on February 09, 2016, 11:59:56 am
Our O Line recruiting has been sub par. Even with Pittman he couldn't really pull a lot of big name linemen to Fayetteville in one class. We got two the first class (Kirk, Skipper), Ragnow two years ago, The fro last year, Heinrich this year. We are getting good players just not enough of them.

Truly disappointing if this is the case.
It's also truly short-sighted with some of the recruits we missed on.
BB has a great reputation for developing OL.  They also are treated a little like rock stars and you can't watch a game without someone mentioning them.

Since I have no better candidate to blame this on, I'll randomly nominate MuskogeeHogFan.

;)
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 09, 2016, 12:08:09 pm
There's never been a coach who comes up to the microphone on signing day and says "yeah this class is a dud"

You're always going to have people spinning it and being excited about it. I can name most of the players on our roster, but I can't name the ones that play for Ohio State, so in my mind and from knowing who these guys are, I think maybe they're better than the guys on that roster or the other one, but just because you're excited about a guy like Reeve Koehler, doesn't mean he's going to be all-SEC or even see the field.

All good points.
By this post, I'll take your view as one inclined to go with our fans not being overly realistic with all of the recruits.
His response to me:

Arthur pigby sellers.

To Pittmans credit he had to go all over the country to get those guys and battle some big schools.  We haven't had many local OL other then Colton Jackson. 

bennyl08

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 09, 2016, 12:08:09 pm

When I was young and still learning the game, I would basically judge players by how often I heard their name. But, as I got older and has learned every player's name, I still had it in the back of my mind that if I know their name, they are good, but I knew all their names, and that biased my opinion. Now I actually know what to look for and can be more objective, but so long as they are a hog, they are good in my book.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

IronHog

True post
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: VirginiaHog on February 09, 2016, 10:41:05 am
Olines just dont sub. It is very rare at any level.

Can anyone give me some facts on this?   Where would you go to find out?   I just can not believe that the OL is so complicated that you can not slide a 2nd teamer in there and all of a sudden the 1st teamer does not know his assignments.

longpig

Only reason our O line recruiting dropped off a bit is because early playing time isn't a selling point, we're set for a couple seasons with one or two good picks like Heinrich per class...............for now.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bphi11ips

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 09, 2016, 12:19:59 pm
Truly disappointing if this is the case.
It's also truly short-sighted with some of the recruits we missed on.
BB has a great reputation for developing OL.  They also are treated a little like rock stars and you can't watch a game without someone mentioning them.

Since I have no better candidates to blame this on, I'll randomly nominate MuskogeeHogFan.

;)

Second.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

WBOBO

I'll have to admit I'm going to trust Coach B on this one.  He's moving Frojholdt to offense and I think he could become a starting tackle before he leaves.  Kid has good footwork and is sharp as a
tack, he just needs more reps in playing a game that he has only been associated with for a couple of years.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

bennyl08

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 09, 2016, 09:12:47 pm
Can anyone give me some facts on this?   Where would you go to find out?   I just can not believe that the OL is so complicated that you can not slide a 2nd teamer in there and all of a sudden the 1st teamer does not know his assignments.

If you want to pay, profootballfocus will give you the stats at the NFL level.

For the hogs, it depends on either how carefully you want to watch and take notes yourself on the games, if you can find the college equivalent of the above website, or if the coaches give it in something like this

https://ksu-platform-secure-prod.silverchalice.co/v3/files/568027e4e4b082e1c2e48040

Kirkland played 827 snaps
Tretola 834
Smothers 834
Ragnow 834
Skipper 831.

Stats leading up to that (i.e. this is the regular season stats which is what the above #'s show) give a total of 818 combined running and passing plays. Maybe kneel downs and spikes aren't included? There's also special teams of which there were 52 EP's and 13 attempted FG's which sums up to 883 and some of our guys were on those as well. Thus, about 5% of possible snaps were cumulatively taken by NOT the starting lineup all season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

IronHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 09, 2016, 09:12:47 pm

OL more than any other position depends on unit cohesion and mental acuity.

4 players can block perfect and one guy takes one step wrong at the snap and the play is blown up......

Experienced OLs sub little in critical situations.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.